• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Nobunaga the Fool 4

Yeah, fuck Nobunaga. I kinda really want King Arthur to win this. I just don't like the cut of Nobunaga's jib at all.

Also, as fun of a stupid show this is (minus its positively HIDEOUS CG mecha) I really would like a mecha show aside from Gundam Build Fighters that did not require I shut off my brain to enjoy it. Have any other mecha shows been announced for this year?

Please do not mistake this post for me saying something bad about Gundam Build Fighters. I love that show a whole whole lot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You're just being silly then since none of them have a chance to hit the top 10 so the only mention they'll have in the thread is on your list. You could get an equivalent result now if you put it on your list btw.
Eh, I put Yamato on my list last year because I liked it. It wasn't finished, it wasn't technically released as a television series, but it was one of the shows that stood out that I watched.

it just comes down to the fact that most people in the thread weren't able to watch the movie, so it's not up for voting. extremely limited release in the states + japan isn't enough considering how broad our userbase is.
I mean, I guess this just runs into the weird "availability" grey area that we don't like to talk about here (even with Yamato itself).

I don't really care about "winning", because I figure I must be the only person putting Tamayura on my list, but I'm not willing to "waste" a vote if it's not going to count at all.

fertygo

Nobunaga the Fool 4

Yeah, fuck Nobunaga. I kinda really want King Arthur to win this. I just don't like the cut of Nobunaga's jib at all.

Also, as fun of a stupid show this is (minus its positively HIDEOUS CG mecha) I really would like a mecha show aside from Gundam Build Fighters that did not require I shut off my brain to enjoy it. Have any other mecha shows been announced for this year?

Please do not mistake this post for me saying something bad about Gundam Build Fighters. I love that show a whole whole lot.

Captain Earth probably gonna stupid as fuck too.

Desert Punk Dub 10

What a fantastic episode wow wow wow

Punk's battle with the Guardian

Kosuna and Junko's confrontation

That discussion at the end

Holy crap this show is incredible, I was legit shook at the end

cajunator

Banned
Makdoa is more then just dark, when I call it the Evangelion of the magical girl genre this is because like Eva Madoka is not just interested in going grim dark it is interested in skewering the very foundational tropes of the genre and it its wake has started to remake the genre in its image. Not as profoundly as Eva thus far, but something like Day Break Illusion would not exist without Madoka.

Let me see, on the one hand, I do recommend that anybody wishing to watch Otome needs to watch Hime first to really enjoy this series as the mythology gags and references are numerous. Anyway, Otome is a thousand times better then Hime due to some factors I can't really talk about at this stage.

true that its basically subverting all the tropes but that still doesnt really explain how this particular show appealed to so many. It looks typically moe, still has the feel at least initially of any magical girl show before it, yet in 12 episodes it became something far greater than many shows that play by the rules of the genre.

Dammit why am I so tempted to buy this even though I couldn't care less about KanColle?

I just bought two.

Quasar

Golden Time 16 - quite excellent episode. Glad to see there wasn't lots of Banri-Ghost business. Really don't much like Kokos dad. And Koko gets another great soul baring scene.

Have to wait until at least 12:30am CST for the subs. Simulcasters are stating "production issues," but another reason may be because of episodes leaking before the Japanese airing. Same thing is happening with Chu2.2, after a French simulcast site tweeted that some other unnamed simulcaster had an episode leak early.
This is really annoying. I hate stupid pointless tactics of punishing everyone when one person does something wrong. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

Edit: Noticed links posted above

Incase anyone wants the tweet link: https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/428639159670947840
This is really annoying. I hate stupid pointless tactics of punishing everyone when one person does something wrong. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

Yep, just posted the link above. This tactic certainly is not going to help promote legal streaming, and people are going to resort to fansubbers because people think they are entitled to episodes the moment they start airing.

Narag

Yep, just posted the link above. This tactic certainly is not going to help promote legal streaming, and people are going to resort to fansubbers because people think they are entitled to episodes the moment they start airing.

they'd watch it raw if they were true fans

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou 1-24 END

That was a fun series. I'm getting sick of all these light novel adaptations that only go half-way though (Kokoro Connect is a huge offender). Hopefully they adapt the rest of the books.

Completely agree. I mean, I'm still going to wait for crunchyroll and watch it there first, mainly because I enjoy watching shows on my Xbox in 720-1080p, but its completely annoying knowing that while I'm trying to keep some sort of moral compass here and wait, plenty of people are able to watch the shows right now through a fansub.

All its doing is making me jealous of Fansub watchers when the main goal should be making Fansub watchers jealous of paid services for getting an earlier HD stream than them. Its completely backwards from how you get people to move over to more legal ways of watching and supporting shows.

[/rant]

Thoraxes

Glare away!

WPRe23e.jpg

I'm just following along.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

That was a fun series. I'm getting sick of all these light novel adaptations that only go half-way though (Kokoro Connect is a huge offender). Hopefully they adapt the rest of the books.
The anime bombed, and I don't think I can take another series of the guy going through lack of progress again. lol

Articalys

Isn't that how most LN adaptations turn out, though? Seems more to be the rule rather than the exception.

wonzo

Banned
Garden of Words

gardenofwords.jpg

Leave it to Shinkai to complete shit the bed in the last ten minutes with his sappy and overly dramatic climax. Don't get me wrong, this is by far his best and most visually striking work yet but the last 10 minutes really did sour what was otherwise a great movie.

It's a good thing Shinkai's still relatively young so he has a lot of time to perfect his craft. Maybe he too will learn to walk on his own two feet, free from the shackles of bad melodrama.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 4:

This was a pretty boring episode for the most part, veering into pointless slice of life territory at points. Also, the monster of the week was just dumb,
I get why it was a literal giant kitten to show how tragically evil the rival is, it was still stupid.
Anyway, the highlight of the episode is the introduction of Fate Testarosa, don't know much about her intentionally so, but I am at least aware that she is significant to the series as a whole. Still waiting for that shit getting real moment, a dark magical girl is about as bog standard as you can get.

Here's the chart that was shown to me while I was getting through this series.

mu0syAl.png

You're getting there.

Branduil

I liked the ending. It's melodramatic, but
15-year-old teenage boys and ostracized women
can be melodramatic sometimes in real life too.

they'd watch it raw if they were true fans

They would even purchase some domestic releases, or go even further and import some BD-singles for that true fandom!

Completely agree. I mean, I'm still going to wait for crunchyroll and watch it there first, mainly because I enjoy watching shows on my Xbox in 720-1080p, but its completely annoying knowing that while I'm trying to keep some sort of moral compass here and wait, plenty of people are able to watch the shows right now through a fansub.

All its doing is making me jealous of Fansub watchers when the main goal should be making Fansub watchers jealous of paid services for getting an earlier HD stream than them. Its completely backwards from how you get people to move over to more legal ways of watching and supporting shows.

[/rant]

I do not have a Crunchyroll sub nor a FUNi-Elite sub, so I have to wait a whole week just like every other non-subscriber for simulcasts. Some people simply have no patience and resort to other means to get what they want as soon as possible thinking that is their right to do so.

Fansubs used to be a means to show newcomers anime, but now has become a competition with legal streams by taking thousands of views for the same content.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The music really drove it over the edge though. It was just laying it on waaaay too thick.
Considering the muted themes of the relationship
on a physical and emotional level
the thing I wanted the most was for the presentation and story beats to match that subdued tone.

Midonin

They would even purchase some domestic releases, or go even further and import some BD-singles for that true fandom!
I do my part by purchasing a ton of music. An eclectic assortment of shows, and some of it is toku, but Japan has seen plenty of my money over the years.

Fansubs used to be a means to show newcomers anime, but now has become a competition with legal streams by taking thousands of views for the same content.
And that's terrible.

I'm not fond of these delays either, but none of them are a week away from the show's first airdate, and it's worth it to be patient and support the creators. Feeling late to the discussion is kind of annoying, but that's less of a problem in AnimeGAF.

Isn't that how most LN adaptations turn out, though? Seems more to be the rule rather than the exception.

Yeah. That's why I said ALL.

Just looking at Dengenki Bunko, the only ones I can see that have the whole series adapted are:

Ore no Imouto wa Konna ni Kawaii Wake Ga Nai
Shakugan no Shana
Toradora!

And the other one off the top of my head is Haruhi.

Quasar

[/rant]

The amusing part is many fansubers using official translations, so any delay affects them anyway.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill-16

Well uh this was something. Feels like the show has sorta gone off the rails. At least it's going somewhere though?

Oh and oh man at that scene. Oh boy.

The Don Quixote of our time.

Quasar

I do not have a Crunchyroll sub nor a FUNi-Elite sub, so I have to wait a whole week just like every other non-subscriber for simulcasts. Some people simply have no patience and resort to other means to get what they want as soon as possible thinking that is their right to do so.

And some people have no legal choice because of where they live. Funimation I'm looking at you. I'd happily pay you money if you'd let me.

Gazoinks

Rozen Maiden 2013 END

Very nice series. I really like the concept of the series, it was a cool idea to have it about a version of the hero that didn't answer to the call of duty. The characterization of Jun was definitely the best part of the show for me, it was done really well. He starts off as a depressing sadsack, but he's sympathetic and doesn't come of annoying or angsty like many, and his arc where he turns his life around is well-done. In general I liked the stuff focusing on Jun more than the supernatural stuff, although part of that was because I felt like I was lacking a little context on the metaplot due to not seeing the first series/reading the manga.

No major complaints I can think of about the show. At times the pacing in the first half felt a bit slow, but it built up well, so in retrospect it didn't feel too bad. The ending as a whole was strong, but
I do wish it ended as a self-contained story with adult Jun never seeing the dolls again. But it's not a self-contained story by design so I guess that complaint's not super valid.

AND WITH THAT MY 2013 ANIME CATCHUP IS DONE. WOO. I'M GONNA WATCH AFTER STORY NOW.

Articalys

Yeah. That's why I said ALL.

Just looking at Dengenki Bunko, the only ones I can see that have the whole series adapted are:

Ore no Imouto wa Konna ni Kawaii Wake Ga Nai
Shakugan no Shana
Toradora!

And the other one off the top of my head is Haruhi.
Gotcha. I interpreted the phrase "all these ___" as just meaning a large quantity, not literally all.

Also, Haruhi is definitely not completely adapted. Why else do you think people keep begging for a season 3?

As always, that chart significantly under-rates season 1. There aren't many episodes in StrikerS which are as good as even the worst episodes in S1...

The S2 part is the most accurate portion of that chart.

i don't even think that the 1-5 of strikers should be that high , 2,3,4 are actually not that great episodes and it only picks up after 5 , around ep 11.
That chart doesn't reflect that.

Jarmel

Banned
Honest to god, I don't know if I approve of the direction KLK's narrative is heading in. There's a lot of tropes in here. A lot.

Someone called it earlier.
This is seemingly Evangelion 2.0(not the movies)

cajunator

Banned
The kancolle effect .

Watch out it's strong , very strong ..
people don't believe me when i tell them about the kancolle effect , but most people don't realise about it untill it's too late.

I can withstand it.

oh who am I kidding?

Pupa 4

Guys, this might just be me.

But the lady in black who happens to know everything and is in charge of that totally not evil building/lab, might not be a good person.

stay tuned to find out in just four minutes!

I'm not done watching Golden Time 16 but how can someone say this is grounded when the dad slaps her so hard she went flying? No words, only slaps. All that played along with some sad music and her crying on the ground.

This is melodramatic as fuck.

Maybe they want to get the audience Keyed in.

The second series line is mystifying.

There was another chart somewhere where it shot through the roof. So you can look forward to A's. Trust me, it's definitely worth it.

Kill la Kill - 16

LEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWD.

There was some crazy exposition in this episode!

So life-fibers are aliens and Satsuki's mom is planning on doing something really bad with them by putting them in all their clothes. What I wanna know is what Satsuki plans on doing. What I really liked was how unclear it was on which paths both characters will take. We've basically set up a basic "Good V.S. Evil" trope, with Ryuko and Satsuki being the main fighting force for both sides. But Ryuko isn't exactly happy with the idea of Senketsu being made to fight his own brethren. Satsuki...well she's still a mystery. Does she want to follow in her mother's goals? Or does she have ambitions of her own. The Ryuko question will undoubtedly be answered next episode.

Trigger, all I ask is for one moment where the Ryuko and Satsuki team up. It's definitely going to happen at one point or another in this show. I just know it, and it will be glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom