• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klack la Klack 16

That was quite... the bath. I'm not entirely sure where this fits in SDBurton's realm, but I think I now understand how girls are "purified" if I am to fall into his mindset.

Actually no, that was still creepy as hell.

wonzo

Banned
I know what you mean with the ending. Not that I hated the ending, but I think they pulled a punch or two.

Yeah, I was expecting something more poignant and hard-hitting than what we got.

I love the shot you posted, especially in motion.

The whole movie's just utterly amazing to look at but something about that scene in particular just grabbed me. Gotta be all that Parallax movement!

I think one of my bigger complaints with the movie (since I didn't post impressions) was how often the screen was cluttered with 3D objects falling. Weird demony things, shining confetti, snow... I want to see the art behind them.

I never really had any issues with that stuff until the end with all the black blobs everywhere. So gross. :(

CorvoSol

I hate the "I can't finish the bad guy off because he's my exboyfriend" trope and nonsense similar to it. I hate it so fucking much.

[Maniacal Laughter]

Star Driver 1

-We're not going to talk about the Bunny and Kitty Maid, are we?

-"Hey let me try and hook you up with my fiance. That's not gonna cause drama later on."

Show feels a bit like a weirdish mixture of Utena and Gundam Build Fighters. I know, I know, that makes no fucking sense, there goes Corvo with his wacky ass penchant for making wrong comparisons, but like, Takuto kinda reminds me of Reiji, and blue dude is the straightman to that.

Battle was pretty rad. Hard to say whether Takuto or Tauburn was more fabulous, though.

sonicmj1

Regardless of him being a bad guy, he's an absolute shithole of a human being.

He's absolutely a manipulative bastard.

Utena isn't fighting to defeat a great evil; she's trying to achieve her own aims of being a 'prince' to Anthy. But she also wants to find the prince she remembers from her childhood. It's hard for her to choose between them. I don't think it's the same as showing mercy towards someone who has demonstrably harmed or intends to harm others because of some past affection.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I hate the "I can't finish the bad guy off because he's my exboyfriend" trope and nonsense similar to it. I hate it so fucking much.
I feel like you are missing something if something like that is bothering you about the series.

cajunator

Banned
If Madoka qualified this year, it wouldn't come up on 90% of the lists since no one got to watch it. I think the rules are fair since it balances the playing field in the sense that anyone can watch any show as long as they are willing to invest the time.

Still havent seen it but the bluray comes soon!

A Centaur's Life anime where are you?

I would watch it

Somewhere a little Emilie is squeeing

Golden Time 16

Another episode without Ghost Banri just made for another one of the good episodes of the series. Are you seeing a correlation creator?

Anyways in this episode both of our leads must face each other for not facing themselves. A big chunk of the episode dealt with their argument and while in many shows this would have been annoying, in this show it just worked because both of these characters are so lovable (Ghost Banri is a separate douchey character). Troof came out yo, Koko being sweet as apple pie that even when she's screaming at you she's only afraid to lose you. I really do hope they pull through as if they end up breaking up at the end I don't know if I could look at this show fondly, considering the whole show revolves around them. I also must sound like a broken record but the discussions/arguments/serious talks in this show are still some of the most believable I have seen in anime slice of life. Like shit I could genuinely see myself arguing over with a loved one, outside the anime jokes and the supernatural scenes.

As a side note, Koko's dad is as good as succesful japanese dad gets. He has his Japanese in him with the slapping, but then he had his sweet side of allowing Banri in and then the hilarious scene where he walks in on them being sweet. He's aiming to steal the spotlight of my favorite dad in anime, previously held by the dad in Clannad AS and currently battled now by Pupipo dad.

Jarmel

Banned
He's absolutely a manipulative bastard.

Utena isn't fighting to defeat a great evil; she's trying to achieve her own aims of being a 'prince' to Anthy. But she also wants to find the prince she remembers from her childhood. It's hard for her to choose between them. I don't think it's the same as showing mercy towards someone who has demonstrably harmed or intends to harm others because of some past affection.

The problem is that she states right before that scene that
she won't give Anthy up to anyone and yet she falters. She believed that she was protecting Anthy and yet when push came to shove, she couldn't harm her 'prince'.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 5

Suddenly a hot springs episode which means fanservice and yuri and I feel rather disquieted by that. It actually isn't as bad as Nanahoa's transformation sequence which makes me about as uncomfortable as watch Ragyo interact with her daughter. Anyway, I should also mention that I have thus far not given one iota of a shit for the supporting cast, mainly becasue I believe they are more alien puppets trying out humon emotions then real people. This episode is bolstered by the introduction, of Arf, ugh, and the secodn major rival encounter, which has a fair bit going for it but Fate isn't all that interesting as a heel.

Link Man

Banned
So, I just finished watching Monogatari Season 2, as Hulu finally put up episode 26. Really happy with the way they ended that plotline, and actually enjoyed the characterization for Kaiki. I just love the characters in this series, for the most part. Also,
looks like they're setting it up for another season, so that's good.

And now, with that out of the way, thought I'd try my luck with Arakawa Under the Bridge. One episode in, and it's completely batshit insane. And I'm loving it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Aura: Maryūinkōga Saigo no Tatakai
J4mwrHk.jpg
This movie really does pretty much directly deal with the same general idea as Chuu2 with these characters running away from reality, but the interpretation here is something much more genuine and grounded. One of the major issues I kind of have with Chuu2 is that the characters are essentially isolated in their own small sphere. For the bunch of weirdos they are they never really face adversity, and any that does exist is usually abstracted and turned into a joke.

Aura is the complete opposite of that, and the focus of the story deals with the main cast being torn apart by people from all directions. It's the exact kind of thing this sort of story needs, because it immediately creates conflict, and the characters are actually able to form what seems like a more genuine bond as they cling together in the face of this world that they hate. There is a certain subtlety to a number of themes here, particularly in regard to the main characters past. It's an immense sign of respect for the audience that helps to create a history for some of these characters.

There are a few story inconsistencies that kind of call forth the lack of intervention from adults. The teacher character here kind of plays and active role in tucking things under the rug from the outside world, but most of the time his acknowledgement of the absence of intervention in the dramatic events occurring just fired a flare off in my face to the story getting absurd. The ending as a whole isn't really what I wanted as it moves into something over the top, incorporating too much of the cast into the big scene where the main characters really needed to shine on their own without interruption.
Considering the movie consistently delved into territory outside my expectations, it was a little disappointing to get something that was just so predictable I would have never predicted it in this movie.

I'm really glad to have watched this, and it did a great job of holding my attention all the way through.

Samurai Flamenco 15

My mind is telling me noooooooooooooo

But my body's telling me justiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-hiiiiiiiice

This show. I can't explain in words why I'm still watching it. Every week I tell myself I'm going to drop it. But the writing is so consistently retarded I can't help but find it endearing. Like the plots are ridiculously stupid, but then they introduce somebody like Mister Justice and all is right with the world. Mister Justice deserves his own movie.

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco 15

My mind is telling me noooooooooooooo

But my body's telling me justiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-hiiiiiiiice

This show. I can't explain in words why I'm still watching it. Every week I tell myself I'm going to drop it. But the writing is so consistently retarded I can't help but find it endearing. Like the plots are ridiculously stupid, but then they introduce somebody like Mister Justice and all is right with the world. Mister Justice deserves his own movie.

BAD JUSTICE

Mr. Justice is character of the year.

Sakura Trick 4

Latter half reminded me of that one Squid Girl segment.

There was also thighs.

Still bothered at how people only wear overclothes and that's it.

JoeFu

Banned
I watched Katanagatari today and I really liked it. What did people here think about it?

I really liked the characters and the art style was awesome. Animation was kinda whatever though.

cajunator

Banned
Anything is possible with hair that fuwafuwa.

[best girl]Papi[/best girl] would have to be voiced by Miyukichi because that is the natural voice in my head for all of the best girls.

youd absolutely die of miyukichi made an anime where she voices everyone.

it just comes down to the fact that most people in the thread weren't able to watch the movie, so it's not up for voting. extremely limited release in the states + japan isn't enough considering how broad our userbase is.

I havent seen it. I have a pathetic life.

I watched Katanagatari today and I really liked it. What did people here think about it?

I really liked the characters and the art style was awesome. Animation was kinda whatever though.

As far as I can tell from others here, it's well loved. I really liked it, and for me it's the best show with gatari in its name

2nnibyou: I don't care anymore

qUdScgC.gif

I reached my breaking point. That was one "says desu after every fucking word she says" too fucking many. I'm DONE. I'M DONE. THAT'S IT. WHY DID I EVEN BOTHER WATCHING THIS.

The moe got to me. I'm sickened by it. It'd be more enjoyable to grab a cheese grater and rub it against my eyes followed by squirting salty lemon juice all while Macho man Randy Savage proceeds to punch me in the gut repeatedly. No more. I'm free. FREE AT LAST FREE AT LAST, MY ANIME BROTHERS FREE AT LAST.

cajunator

Banned
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 4:

This was a pretty boring episode for the most part, veering into pointless slice of life territory at points. Also, the monster of the week was just dumb,
I get why it was a literal giant kitten to show how tragically evil the rival is, it was still stupid.
Anyway, the highlight of the episode is the introduction of Fate Testarosa, don't know much about her intentionally so, but I am at least aware that she is significant to the series as a whole. Still waiting for that shit getting real moment, a dark magical girl is about as bog standard as you can get.

Fate shows up, its about to go down. Get ready.

Desert Punk Dub 10

What a fantastic episode wow wow wow

Punk's battle with the Guardian

Kosuna and Junko's confrontation

That discussion at the end

Holy crap this show is incredible, I was legit shook at the end

Everything about Desert Punk is hilarious and right.

Golden Time 16 - quite excellent episode. Glad to see there wasn't lots of Banri-Ghost business. Really don't much like Kokos dad. And Koko gets another great soul baring scene.

Wonder if her dad is like mine..

cajunator

Banned
Yep, just posted the link above. This tactic certainly is not going to help promote legal streaming, and people are going to resort to fansubbers because people think they are entitled to episodes the moment they start airing.

even with slight delays today anime fans are super spoiled.

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou 1-24 END

That was a fun series. I'm getting sick of all these light novel adaptations that only go half-way though (Kokoro Connect is a huge offender). Hopefully they adapt the rest of the books.

I know. Some of us do not read. We just dont!

Here's the chart that was shown to me while I was getting through this series.

mu0syAl.png

You're getting there.

Other chart more accurate. A's just says fuck everything and brings it.

cnet128

Banned
As always, that chart significantly under-rates season 1. There aren't many episodes in StrikerS which are as good as even the worst episodes in S1...

The S2 part is the most accurate portion of that chart.

Yeah, rating the first few episodes of S1 below the entirety of Strikers is just wrong. I couldn't even bring myself to watch all of StrikerS, but I watched the first few episodes and I can say with great authority that every single episode in S1 walks all over them so hard it isn't even funny.

People give the first few episodes of Nanoha S1 a lot of shit for just being standard magical girl stuff, but I liked it for that. It was sweet. If anything, I thought the whole
sudden scifi-ish organisation in charge of magical warfare
revelation felt a little unnecessary, and would probably have preferred if it did the whole shit-getting-real thing without any of that baggage.

Ah well, these charts do always at least do a good job of illustrating the most important point that A's is amazing.

Also, Haruhi is definitely not completely adapted. Why else do you think people keep begging for a season 3?

Quite. Although to be fair, the point at which the anime has left off could arguably be considered a better stopping point than where the LNs have got up to now. Particularly considering this is one case where the LN series itself seems to have no hope of ever being "finished".

Sakura Trick 3

Wow this episode had way more making out than I expected. I hope things keep going that way. Also, I'm really surprised that the older sister isn't included in all the yuri. Makes me wonder what they're gonna do with her character.
I just hope she doesn't turn out to be a stupid "incestuous lesbian feelings" sister like Akari's sister in Yuru Yuri... it doesn't look like that so far though, thankfully. But we'll see. I thought her reaction shots in ep. 3 were funny, though... it worked well.

Much as I would appreciate it if Yuu's big sis did have incestuous siscon feelings (I will never get tired of that trope, and Yuu herself is more than adorable enough to warrant it), it doesn't look like the series is going that route. From episode 4, it looks like she instead has
forbidden feelings for her sister's best friend
issues =p

Yet another one of the most wrong statements about a comedy ever! Nichijou is the best, funniest comedy anime ever made. It's the closest thing to classic cartoon comedy I've seen in anime (note: my favorite cartoon series ever is Looney Tunes), and the results are fantastic. It's just tragic that it didn't do better... sure otaku humor comedies can be funny too, but not in the same way.

I strongly endorse this opinion.

Magical Warfare 4

He just watched some fucking mage get obliterated and he still fucking dragged his friends out into a fucking warzone, god this guy is a douchebag.

To be fair on the MC, he did make a (rather half-hearted) attempt to send his friends home and go it alone. So it seems slightly harsh to say he dragged them out there. And of course one of his friends was already out there, so you can see why he did it, stupid or otherwise.

Can't be any worse than any of the other recommendations GAF made me.

See, this is why you should've listened to me and just watched Higurashi instead. I can guarantee that you would find a thousand more things to enjoy in that show than in Hyouka, even if you hated it. Higurashi is a lot of things, but boring is not one of them.

Katanagatari is godly and win. That final episode broke the scale of badass a few hundred times over.

Thoraxes

I really loved the show. Nisio Isin.

Gonna have to buy the BDs next month.

I loved it, it brought me back after a slump of not watching any anime while I was at university. The art style, as you said, was amazing! The story and the moments between Shichika and Togame are some of the most memorable ones. The length of the episodes was refreshing at the time and the only negative was waiting a month per episode!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I know all but nothing about the mahou shoujo genre as a whole, but now I'm wondering why its perceived as being so revolutionary in spite of the existence of other shows. My talking-out-my-ass theory would be that while it might not be the first show of its kind to take magical girl tropes and throw them in a dark and pessimistic way, it might be the first to do that while squarely targeting otaku over the female audience the genre was originally created for. And it also happens to be pretty great independent of anything else.

There could be more to it than that, or less. I'd be interested to hear a more informed perspective than mine. I know I've seen it argued that Eva's neurotic takedown of the early-teen mecha protagonist was itself retreading old ground.
That's a really good point, and one I should already be familiar with. After all, most people's knowledge about Sailor Moon is derived from TV airings of the dub simply because that's what they were exposed to, and similarly, Madoka was a show that plopped onto everyone's lap.

And yeah, it also benefits from being short and sweet.

So, I guess I should ask - have any other Magical Girl shows pulled a "The Shield" with its opening episodes? Because that's what makes it noteworthy to me. Way more than any ambiguous "dark" take on the magical girl genre.
Well, maybe not at the beginning.

That and the fact that the entire series runs up against the idea of the main character turning into a magical girl, which is almost antithetical to the magical girl genre where everyone - even reluctantly - accepts their power and their place in the universe.
PGSM

firehawk12

Subete no aware
taichi's a spineless, pathetic butt so he'd be the perfect fit for the spergtastic chihaya
Arata really should hook up with the Queen anyway. Chihaya has an older gentleman to entertain.

Well, maybe not at the beginning.
I guess I look at it this way. The Shield is definitely not the first cop show to be "gritty" and show the dark side of being a police officer. But it defined an entire decade of cop television shows and its effects still linger to this day. I just watched a new show, premiering in 2014, that begins with a cop being shot in the head. That's just normal now.
Now, I haven't seen an anime go and just murder one of its lead characters in its opening episodes, but the whole ambiguous Homura thing has basically been cloned to death in recent years.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's not a common build for footballers? (I honestly don't know.)
He's an offensive lineman, so he's one of the bigger guys in the game. I think only a defensive nose tackle would reliably be bigger. This is basically the sumo wrestling aspect of American football.

I guess I look at it this way. The Shield is definitely not the first cop show to be "gritty" and show the dark side of being a police officer. But it defined an entire decade of cop television shows and its effects still linger to this day. I just watched a new show, premiering in 2014, that begins with a cop being shot in the head. That's just normal now.
Now, I haven't seen an anime go and just murder one of its lead characters in its opening episodes, but the whole ambiguous Homura thing has basically been cloned to death in recent years.
Gai gets no respect. :(

cajunator

Banned
Yeah. As you say, that chart significantly overstates StrikerS's quality; it's an okay show, but a big disappointment compared to the previous two seasons: it has too many characters, too little Nanoha being awesome, etc.

First, episodes 1-8, 10-16, and 18-20 of Strikers are all worse than every single episode of the first season.

Next, while episodes 9, 17, and 21-14 are better than the rest of the season, they still are worse than anything from the last four or six episodes of S1.

Someone really should draw a more accurate chart...

StrikerS is kinda meh. After A's its just a downer.
it just doesnt keep the intensity or the badassery for long enough.

The only other chart still gives StrikerS too much credit, but it looks nicer I suppose!

A's is just right. Adjust the others.

As Discotek tends to do, they've just thrown out another couple of random announcements on their Facebook, including a license rescue of DearS set for release in May.

Hahaha Dears.....oh man love slaves aliens. The catgirl was a cutie. The english episode titles are hilarious.

Acosta

Kill la Kill 16

-The new OP is great.

-The recap was fun.

- The story is nonsense, like always.

- It was fun seeing Satsuki in a more vulnerable way.

-The bath scene was so ridiculous.

-The festival arc looks like it´s going to be fun.

-Mako is the main character of this show as far as I'm concerned, all the others are sidekicks.

Predicting time:
Ryuko and Satsuki are going to be best pals at the end of the show, if they are alive.

Thoraxes

Kill la Kill - 16

Dat chakra purification.

Dat
new evolutionary theory

Dat Mako ED owning.

I also loved how Satsuki is nothing but a
tool to be bred and raised properly till she can continue with the plan.
Can't wait to see what she does too.

Everything was awesome this episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
KLK is either the best thing or the worst thing ever. It's funny seeing the split opinion when you really have no clue what the show is about.

wonzo

Banned
Kyousogiga 8-10 END

kyousogigatv10.jpg

I wasn't really liking the direction the show was going in with eps 8 & 9 but the final episode tied everything together so perfectly I ended up falling in love with it all over again. S2/OAD Sequel SoL Family hijinks when????

Thoraxes

Silver Spoon S2 - 04

I've found my new alarm clock.

Also, fuck yeah Hachiken! I loved how
he started by hitting himself and Marron was like, wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom