• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Chu2Koi Ren 04

I'd vote for Mori Summer. Her campaign platform is one that supports good vibes and talking with the fairies, which would make school more exciting. Given the standard nature of an anime student council president, "talks with fairies" is fairly low-tier. I've always been a supporter of DekoSummer, and the yuri goggles were running at a high notch this week. Shame the Vanishment This World sequence had to be cut off, I always like those. Though I'd love to see more of Satone/Sofia, too. She's like Rikka with complete self-awareness and less angst. But no Maaya Uchida, and I still must consider the Maaya a plus on Rikka's side.

Gazoinks

Gintama 31
eXbUkiBl.jpg

Traditional family dynamic

Woah what sudden feels at the end? I wasn't expecting this to become a mini-arc all of a sudden.

In other news, here's my favorite Gintoki face from a couple of episodes ago.

Heysoos

Magical Warfare 4

I know I was going to drop it last week, but I decided to give it another shot. Six minutes in, and I can't help but hate the MC. I don't even know why I hate him, I just do. Maybe I should just drop it now. I'll save myself the trouble of watching best girl lose.

Edit:

He just watched some fucking mage get obliterated and he still fucking dragged his friends out into a fucking warzone, god this guy is a douchebag.

Edit2:

And ofcourse one of his friends almost gets killed, he's not worried though, his raging hard on for Mui doesn't let him think things through. Hope she gets killed in front of him, tbh.

Anyways, dropped for realsies this time.

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver 9-rewatch
This is where the show is seemingly starting to spiral. So another love interest makes her appearance turning the love triangle into a rectangle. We also get a more indepth look at the Glittering Crux brigade and turns out that it's not exactly one cohesive family. The episode as a whole was mostly setup and a mech fight thrown in at the end to make sure the audience didn't fall asleep.
ibkKjZlFIj0NdP.gif

The problem with the upcoming mech fights is that the show is seemingly going through the motions and even the characters have realized that they can't win but are going to waste resources and time, and try anyway. There's no real sense of tension or threat.

Dresden

That's not a common build for footballers? (I honestly don't know.)

He's going to be one of the biggest dudes in that locker room, so as long as he's not uncommonly timid or shy - not ruling that out considering the recent bullying scandal - I doubt he gets too much shit for being a weeaboo.

CorvoSol

Star Driver 9-rewatch

This is where the show is seemingly starting to spiral. So another love interest makes her appearance turning the love triangle into a rectangle. We also get a more indepth look at the Glittering Crux brigade and turns out that it's not exactly one cohesive family. The episode as a whole was mostly setup and a mech fight thrown in at the end to make sure the audience didn't fall asleep.
ibkKjZlFIj0NdP.gif

The problem with the upcoming mech fights is that the show is seemingly going through the motions and even the characters have realized that they can't win but are going to waste resources and time, and try anyway. There's no real sense of tension or threat.

Man, I almost feel like picking up this show and watching it on top of everything else I've got. I could really use a good show to sink my teeth into now that I'm done with FMP.

Jarmel

Banned
Man, I almost feel like picking up this show and watching it on top of everything else I've got. I could really use a good show to sink my teeth into now that I'm done with FMP.

Honestly, it's much better than I remember it being so far. That said, I still got quite a few episodes to go through and I remember it falling apart somewhere in the middle.

Give the first couple of episodes a watch and see if you like it.

cajunator

Banned
Well it is a sport anime. Even I a non sport anime watcher, knew enough about the structure to expect a fair amount of playing of the actual game. Personally I like the game playing part. Though there was one match in S2 that I felt went on a bit too long. And I do feel I don't get enough Arata or Shinobu on screen.

I agree that its doing nothing specifically different as any sport anime but perhaps the sport in question is just too simplistic for such a lengthy series.

CorvoSol

Well then you better not pick up Star Driver.

Can't be any worse than any of the other recommendations GAF made me.

Honestly, it's much better than I remember it being so far. That said, I still got quite a few episodes to go through and I remember it falling apart somewhere in the middle.

Give the first couple of episodes a watch and see if you like it.

I probably will. I'm enjoying GBF and KLK, but those are only on once a week. Need me something more than that.

CorvoSol

If you didn't like the subtle character development in Hyouka I have a hard time believing you'll like the completely nonexistent character development in Star Driver.

What if I told you there hasn't been any character development yet in Hyouka.

Unless Chitanda is going to become an alcoholic and that bit about her chomping down those rum filled chocolates was foreshadowing.

Jarmel

Banned
If you didn't like the subtle character development in Hyouka I have a hard time believing you'll like the completely nonexistent character development in Star Driver.

So far it's been more about the trio developing as a group actually. So more interpersonal character relationship developments rather than individual ones.

Branduil

Unless Chitanda is going to become an alcoholic and that bit about her chomping down those rum filled chocolates was foreshadowing.

Well, you could tell me, but that would be incorrect, as you should shortly see.

CorvoSol

Well, you could tell me, but that would be incorrect, as you should shortly see.

But if it's in the future, then I'm right, because it hasn't happened yet.

He enjoy generic mecha show, and Star Driver excel at that..

Branduil's not wrong, though. If I was just in it to see giant robots beat the shit out of one another, I'd have loved 00, since that first season was great for that.

sonicmj1

What if I told you that Hotaro wasn't solving mysteries because Chitanda was staring at him while invading his personal space?

fertygo

Branduil's not wrong, though. If I was just in it to see giant robots beat the shit out of one another, I'd have loved 00, since that first season was great for that.

But Star Driver not structured like Gundam show with overarching plot.

Its your usual monster-of-the-week beat-em-up mecha show.

Jarmel

Banned

Yea that would be wrong. There definitely is an overarching plot. No doubt there is a lot of episodic stuff in there but the show does have a very clear narrative structure to it.

Dresden

Star Driver is a mecha-of-the-week with great animation and bad writing. If you know what you're getting into, it could be pretty enjoyable.

Also has the greatest dramatic dilemma of all time: why does it hurt to love two boys at once?

CorvoSol

What if I told you that Hotaro wasn't solving mysteries because Chitanda was staring at him while invading his personal space?

Please. His boner for her massive, Zelda dungeon boss esque eyeballs is so big it practically lifts the table every single time.

Hm. I dunno that that increases my interest in seeing it.

fertygo

Yea that would be wrong. There definitely is an overarching plot.

Its have overarching plot as in Getter Robo or GGG have one.
Yeah but with the added plot drawbackfeature of knowing he will never lose a single fight or else the show will end.
You guys really projecting too far for Star Driver.

Its simply not trying harder than super robot kids show that Bones staff watching at their childhood.

JCG

The thing about Star Driver is that it has the whole ritualistic and formulaic nature of the Utena duels, complete with insert songs, but with relatively little in terms of character depth to match that. If you don't expect the series to properly answer every question or fully develop every individual character, it's not the worst thing ever.

Ironically enough, I seem to remember liking the middle episodes more than the rest of the story. Once that particular arc ended, my interest levels started to fluctuate.

Of course, the mecha animation is definitely quite nice to look at. The final battle was especially well animated.

CorvoSol

Star Driver is a mecha-of-the-week with great animation and bad writing. If you know what you're getting into, it could be pretty enjoyable.

Also has the greatest dramatic dilemma of all time: why does it hurt to love two boys at once?

"Why does it feel so good!?"

Its have overarching plot as in Getter Robo or GGG have one.

Man, I dunno. I need something different from Getter Robo since I'm kinda getting fatigued from that show. I hear the manga is actually really short, too, haha.

Branduil

Gotta get the quote right, it's "Do you know how much it hurts to be deeply in love with two guys at once?"

Branduil

Star Driver has a lot of flaws but I definitely the feel the biggest one is that stupid plot setup that preemptively drains all tension from every single fight since you know how it's going to end.

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver has a lot of flaws but I definitely the feel the biggest one is that stupid plot setup that preemptively drains all tension from every single fight since you know how it's going to end.

Near the middle/end, it definitely starts to feel forced in quite a few of the fights.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if that's going to be an issue with Captain Earth going forward. If the MC loses against the aliens then the Earth is going to be fucked?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kill la Kill 16

Info duuuuuuuuuuump! Also, dat uncomfortable, creepy bath scene.
Life Fibers are aliens
, huh? Interesting.

I'd say more but all I can think about right now is how goddamn adorable that new ED is. Mako is best forever.

Kill la Kill 16

What the fuck at that
bath scene

I still think Satsuki is trying to subvert her mother's plans, and take over the company in an attempt to stop the lavos strings. That bath scene sticks out, I bet her mother is going to keep messing with Satsuki. I also don't think we've learned everything we need to learn about Ryuko; why does she have such high resistance? Why can only she wield senketsu and have no adverse affects?

Mako is awesome.

Quasar

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren 4
Dekomori is the best. Actually pretty good episode too but I don't like that there was no progress at the end though

My reaction was basically 'Fucking Dekomori'. I'd half expect Nibutani to change schools over that utter humiliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom