• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So lets see, the ninja from Gintama suffering from haemorrhoids, a Christmas Cake (you can tell she is older because she has a more pronounced chest) that gets drunk easily, a genki girl, a book worm with a boyish haircut and a guy who doesn't know how to put on a tie properly.

That's anime alright.

duckroll

Hozuki's Slice off Lives in Hell - Episode 4

Ch1MZG1.jpg

This show is pretty awesome. The two story format every week works out really well, and I love how random but yet dedicated the humor can be. You never know what to expect next, but once they start on a theme for a gag, they keep going until every part of it is exhausted. It can also be a pretty educational show, since a lot of the references have actual cultural and historical value for those interested in Asian mythology and folklore. When Hozuki introduced that storybook in the second story, loooooooooooool. Sogood.

Kazzy

Madoka almost insists that you have some knowledge of magical girl shows in order to appreciate what it's trying to do.

It really doesn't.

I was completely uninitiated, and there wasn't any real nuance or subtext that was lost on me. Simply on its own merits, it establishes a tone that is there to misrepresent and invert expectations.

To say it relies on intertextuality, is to do it a great disservice.

Midonin

It looks like ImoCho has also been delayed on CR, now airing at 3 PM EST (Noon PST). Not as drastic a change as some of the others.

cajunator

Banned
I personally own 50+ anime OSTs from either Right Stuf or CDJapan, 40+ anime series
and I guess the first 4 Pokemon movies on VHS
, a dozen plus manga and LN series (would actually have to count each individual book), and two artbooks. Would post what I own if anyone is interested, but have no camera for pics of my shelf. :'(

That's a gray-zone that I would not know how to go discussing as a US-native viewer.

DearS and Tenjho Tenge coming both on May 27th! Now if only someone would pick up Naoki Urasawa's: Monster for R1 release...

All these random license rescues. Makes me wonder what other stuff is going to be picked up. A lot of shows Id love to see rescued that are in my collection.

Kill la Kill: 16

Well, that was fun. At this point I'd say this is one of those cases where I really like how the show is pulling this off, regardless of not particularly caring about where it's actually heading.

The whole thing just has enough excitement and energy to carry it through. Sometimes that's all you really need. Oh, the new OP's pretty cool too.

Space Dandy: 4

Funniest episode yet, although I realize that's subjective as heck. I'm not even a zombie fan and still chuckled a fair amount. The English dub's also working pretty nicely.

Magic Knight Rayearth S2: End

Standard fantasy plot except with more robots. In fact, this was Toshihiro Hirano combining CLAMP's original manga with his own work on Iczer. Oddly enough, I think it wasn't a bad mix.

X-men Anime: End

I didn't watch this when it was new, and...turns out I didn't miss anything. The best thing I can say is that the action wasn't bad. Oh well, I used to read worse comics back in the day.

I'd say the comparison isn't accurate. CG had more good parts and also benefits from knowingly reveling in its craziness (in fact, it even has a reference to Otome/Hime with Sayoko in R2).

In my opinion Otome was way more straightforward even compared to Hime, and just kind of rushes a little at the end, albeit in an ultimately predictable manner.

DearS, really? Didn't Chobits do more with the underlying concept after all? If it's about the fanservice, I imagine there are always better options available.

DearS is a WEIRD choice. Tenjho Tenge makes sense since its one of those school battle animes (that I happen to have a wallscroll on my wall of right now) so that makes sense to license.

Cool to see you watched MKR2. I started it and got a little ways in, but it hasnt really captured my attention like the first show.
The twist at the end of the first show my jaw hit the floor.

Kill la Kill Episode 16

The true plot is no unveiled and it turns out it is Chrono Trigger. The Original Life FIber is Lavos, Ragyo is Queen Zeal, Satsuki is Magus and Nui is Dalton. This is all making sense, this is all making way too much sense. Also I now want Kill la Kill x Chrono Trigger fanart NOW!

I would be ok with this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episodes 6 and 7:

Right then, this show has indeed been stepping up things now that they have ditched the trite monster of the week stuff in favor of the Nanoha-Fate feud. It is nice to see that Nanoha is no longer holding back in spite of her desires to talk to fate
and possibly romance her, she will not shut up about her eyes.
The clashes have been nighty
so mighty that the signature weapons nearly break.
At any rate the next episode is focusing on the tragic case of Fate Testarossa.
those who mentioned that magical girl shows have gone dark before, well, this is a prime example as we meet dear mother who is cruel and callous and the scenes where she is whipping Fate are actually kind of hard to watch, clearly the creators were unaware that not showing the violence actually makes this more bloody and horrific. As an aside while this is dark, I will note that this is rather traditional villains are doing bad things kind of darkness. Madoka Magica used its dark themes to question the very nature of magical girls.
Anyway, we also get insights to what has been hinted at since the beginning with the weaponry
this is indeed also a sci-fi show at the Time-Space Defense Administration finally makes its appearance. Indeed I have been aware of them.
All and all this program is getting better and it is showing more of its own identity, but make no mistake, still very cut from the magical girl cloth at this point.

DiGiKerot

The Scottish talk about how mean England is to them and that's why the Scottish National Party thinks they deserve independence, but look at the way they hog all the anime to themselves. If anything they're the mean ones. I'm writing a stern letter to Alex Salmond right this moment!

FWIW, there's solid rumours that the BFIs bi-annual anime weekend will be happening in London this May.

Defuser

Golden Time ep 16

I can see why there is some criticism regarding Koko's dad slapping Koko, despite some people saying he did because he was worried and angry about her like some parents in real life would actually do if they find out about their children in this kind of situation but my problem is Koko's dad doing the backhanded slap aka the bitch slap I'm not sure whether is it really in the LN or one of Chiaki Kon's bad decisions. If he have done a normal open handed slap I think there will be lesser criticisms.

But anyway the dad despite the bad impression earlier made up for it for the later half with his hilarious intrusion to the heavy drama.

cajunator

Banned
What if I told you there hasn't been any character development yet in Hyouka.

Unless Chitanda is going to become an alcoholic and that bit about her chomping down those rum filled chocolates was foreshadowing.

Maybe she is, but not in this particular series. Chitanda in a constant drunken state would be really moe. Hopefully she would get violent and punch Oreki and Mayaka.

Golden Time 16

Another episode without Ghost Banri just made for another one of the good episodes of the series. Are you seeing a correlation creator?

Anyways in this episode both of our leads must face each other for not facing themselves. A big chunk of the episode dealt with their argument and while in many shows this would have been annoying, in this show it just worked because both of these characters are so lovable (Ghost Banri is a separate douchey character). Troof came out yo, Koko being sweet as apple pie that even when she's screaming at you she's only afraid to lose you. I really do hope they pull through as if they end up breaking up at the end I don't know if I could look at this show fondly, considering the whole show revolves around them. I also must sound like a broken record but the discussions/arguments/serious talks in this show are still some of the most believable I have seen in anime slice of life. Like shit I could genuinely see myself arguing over with a loved one, outside the anime jokes and the supernatural scenes.

As a side note, Koko's dad is as good as succesful japanese dad gets. He has his Japanese in him with the slapping, but then he had his sweet side of allowing Banri in and then the hilarious scene where he walks in on them being sweet. He's aiming to steal the spotlight of my favorite dad in anime, previously held by the dad in Clannad AS and currently battled now by Pupipo dad.

This show is a million times better when that factor isnt in there. My friend this morning asked if I had seen the latest episode because he said "something amazing happened in it". Guess I will have to find out on Tuesday.

Stay strong with Team Taichi, AWESOMEBEAR. It is the right decision.
Besides, Arata looks like me and as such I know for sure he will never hook up with anybody.

jman2050

Kill La Kill 16

I'd say something about how
everything is aliens
could easily throw me off, but there's been enough vague hints about how weird things must be behind the scenes that this feels like a natural development.

Well one of the central characters is
a piece of sentinent clothing
so saying that
life fibers are Lavos
seems like taking that to its natural conclusion!

So my sister watches anime about as much as I do, but she only watches dubbed anime. She usually goes to Bestbuy and pick up whatever anime has the best cover. She doesn't look up any info on it, she just reads the back cover look at the front, and then buys it. She always comes home with the most ecchi-est anime, I always thinks its funny.

She went to go buy Ah My Goddess, and came home with this (sorry about crappy quality):
jbqNJaY5vs2SCQ.jpg

She saw the first episode and noticed that it may not be Ah My Godess. Once again, she accidentally bought an ecchi anime. When she doesn't want an anime she bought, she just gives it to me.

So now I have Ah My Buddha I guess, lol. I'm going to watch it later.

All and all this program is getting better and it is showing more of its own identity, but make no mistake, still very cut from the magical girl cloth at this point.

It's nothing but fun from here on out. Nothing but magical girls soaring through the sky firing lasers at each other. So much fun.

Nanoha is essentially the magical girl equivalent of a Super Robot show.

NeonZ

I think that when Nanoha pretty much throws away the civilian life side of the series and starts focusing almost entirely on the magical battles and power levels, the magical girl side left is pretty much just design trappings.

Season 1 by itself is small enough that you could consider the last few episodes just a battle climax, I guess, like the ending of story arcs in a Sailor Moon or Pretty Cure series, but the progression of the franchise afterwards shows otherwise.

jman2050

It's nothing but fun from here on out. Nothing but magical girls soaring through the sky firing lasers at each other. So much fun.

Nanoha is essentially the magical girl equivalent of a Super Robot show.

Well, nominally anyway. And then they decided to push that angle even further in StrikerS and wellllll... that didn't turn out so well!

EDIT - Also for some additional amusing context that some people are unaware of: Nanoha isn't even a completely original property! It is in fact nominally a spinoff of an eroge starring her older family of all things.

Also they're all ninjas. Which explains a lot about Nanoha herself if you think about it too much!

Theonik

Well well well. What do we have here? We mentioned earlier in the month that we'll be announcing a very special Kickstarter project for a title that is very close to our hearts.

A lot of you have been asking for updates, seeing as it's the end of the month we do have some news for you!

We'll be announcing our Kickstarter and all the gory details on Monday at 18:30 GMT! We'll be dropping some hints over the weekend, let's see how many clever clogs are out there shall we?

Can't wait to share the details with you guys on Monday! Until then, have a fabulous weekend

- Team Anime Limited.
It's happening.jpg?

Midonin

No-Rin 04

Definitely not as lewd as episode 3 (though the tickling scene and the YES scene are standouts), but much more on the heartwarming side of things. And I am enjoying this series. Idols, a different sort of setting, two heroines who are on the chubby side, and wallabies, who, as I have apparently learned, are Gaia. The guy using anime posters as blowdarts was also a bit "what". Nobody should use a Nyarko poster for that. It should only be hung up proudly. Still, that ending scene really did have that "final episode" feel, but it's really more of a new beginning. I'd be okay with a little more lewdness, at least.

Well, nominally anyway. And then they decided to push that angle even further in StrikerS and wellllll... that didn't turn out so well!

EDIT - Also for some additional amusing context that some people are unaware of: Nanoha isn't even a completely original property! It is in fact nominally a spinoff of an eroge starring her older family of all things.

Also they're all ninjas. Which explains a lot about Nanoha herself if you think about it too much!

StrikerS should have involved space combat if they wanted to push the Super Robot angle better. Put in some aliens, make the scale bigger, etc. StrikerS the way it is is just an uninteresting re-hash. It just doesn't feel significant.

Also about that spin-off note, so does Nanoha take place in the same continuity as Triangle Heart? Or is it a completely different universe? The wiki doesn't really make it clear.

cajunator

Banned
From a few day ago, now official with a better quality key visual for Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

Source: http://moca-news.net/article/20140131/201401311900a/image001.html

Hmmm. I guess Ill watch it.

Right then, this show has indeed been stepping up things now that they have ditched the trite monster of the week stuff in favor of the Nanoha-Fate feud. It is nice to see that Nanoha is no longer holding back in spite of her desires to talk to fate
and possibly romance her, she will not shut up about her eyes.
The clashes have been nighty
so mighty that the signature weapons nearly break.
At any rate the next episode is focusing on the tragic case of Fate Testarossa.
those who mentioned that magical girl shows have gone dark before, well, this is a prime example as we meet dear mother who is cruel and callous and the scenes where she is whipping Fate are actually kind of hard to watch, clearly the creators were unaware that not showing the violence actually makes this more bloody and horrific. As an aside while this is dark, I will note that this is rather traditional villains are doing bad things kind of darkness. Madoka Magica used its dark themes to question the very nature of magical girls.
Anyway, we also get insights to what has been hinted at since the beginning with the weaponry
this is indeed also a sci-fi show at the Time-Space Defense Administration finally makes its appearance. Indeed I have been aware of them.

Nanoha is just kind of revving up at that point. Its about to get pretty fun but you should REALLY watch A's. Because BANG.

Golden Time ep 16

I can see why there is some criticism regarding Koko's dad slapping Koko, despite some people saying he did because he was worried and angry about her like some parents in real life would actually do if they find out about their children in this kind of situation but my problem is Koko's dad doing the backhanded slap aka the bitch slap I'm not sure whether is it really in the LN or one of Chiaki Kon's bad decisions. If he have done a normal open handed slap I think there will be lesser criticisms.

But anyway the dad despite the bad impression earlier made up for it for the later half with his hilarious intrusion to the heavy drama.

My dad used to pinch the shit out of my arm to get my attention. It works too.

So my sister watches anime about as much as I do, but she only watches dubbed anime. She usually goes to Bestbuy and pick up whatever anime has the best cover. She doesn't look up any info on it, she just reads the back cover look at the front, and then buys it. She always comes home with the most ecchi-est anime, I always thinks its funny.

She went to go buy Ah My Goddess, and came home with this (sorry about crappy quality):
jbqNJaY5vs2SCQ.jpg

She saw the first episode and noticed that it may not be Ah My Godess. Once again, she accidentally bought an ecchi anime. When she doesn't want an anime she bought, she just gives it to me.

So now I have Ah My Buddha I guess, lol. I'm going to watch it later.

Just make sure she doesnt bring home Juden Chan because it does have a REALLY cute and attractive cover!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 8:

So at last the arrival point of the great changeover has arrived. Honestly I was expecting the format change at the start of the next series. Indeed the TSAB Enforcer Chrono not only shows that this is one of those equal opportunity programs given that he as an x chromosome and mage powers. Anyway, the real origins of the Jewel Seeds are laid out and it is pretty standard mcguffin stuff. Fate of all reality hangs in the balance, powers that should not be used and abused, that sort of thing.
The central conceit is the TSAB will no longer allow Fate and Nanoha private war threaten the universal harmony. Fate has escaped time and space justice for the moment but Nanoha has been given an ultimatum to stand down and let the TSAB handle the collection of the logia fruits. We also get a look at the other theme of the episode, mothers and the relations ship the mages have with their mothers and how it factors into their drive to achieve the goals set before them.. The eventual outcome here is the end of Nanoha as a freelance mage as she has thrown her chips in with the TSAB and from a tactical point of view this is a very smart move as Nanoha now has much more in the way of resources to stop the mad Mother Testarosa.
Right, as far as Nanoha ditching civilian life goes, it does make sense and there really was not a lot interesting things going on with Nanoha family. The thing that is bothering me is the lingering threads left behind with Nanoha's schoolyard chums and I would not be shocked to see them become mages themselves because that is what series like this do.

Serious

I actually really liked the military angle in StrikerS, though it was quite different from the first two. There just wasn't enough focus in general. A bit too long with the pointless drones before getting to the Numbers, a bit too many side characters, Erio and Caro weren't all that compelling (though I did like Subaru and Teana).

CorvoSol

Maybe she is, but not in this particular series. Chitanda in a constant drunken state would be really moe. Hopefully she would get violent and punch Oreki and Mayaka.

While I'm not opposed to members of the cast of Hyouka being inflicted with terrible physical violence, Mayaka should be dishing, not taking. The order of people who deserve a Bright Slap are Chitanda "I don't understand emotions", Hotaro "Could I be more stereotypically disaffected?", Satoshi "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH HOTARO PLEASE MAKE LOVE TO ME AND NOT CHITANDA BLAH BLAH BLAH" and then, and only then, Mayaka "bitches about everything".

cajunator

Banned
While I'm not opposed to members of the cast of Hyouka being inflicted with terrible physical violence, Mayaka should be dishing, not taking. The order of people who deserve a Bright Slap are Chitanda "I don't understand emotions", Hotaro "Could I be more stereotypically disaffected?", Satoshi "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH HOTARO PLEASE MAKE LOVE TO ME AND NOT CHITANDA BLAH BLAH BLAH" and then, and only then, Mayaka "bitches about everything".

Nah, Mayaka should totally get bitch slapped first and foremost.

cnet128

Banned
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 8:

The thing that is bothering me is the lingering threads left behind with Nanoha's schoolyard chums and I would not be shocked to see them become mages themselves because that is what series like this do.

…God, I wish. =(

duckroll

It's not a TV series - they announced last week that it would be a film.
Probably something underwhelming, though!

Hmmm....

- It's a film.
- It's been released in France before.
- It was released in Japan between 2005 and 2010.

All I can say without spoiling it is it started on limited release in cinemas in Tokyo and actually under-performed as was targeted at the wrong audience. It was a rare case of the director AND animators taking to the streets and passing word of mouth recommendations that resulted in a seven month across cinemas in Japan, selling out a lot of them.

That's a hell lot of clues. Surely someone would have figured out by now. Maybe it just sucks and no one cares!

Samurai Flamenco 15

That was a long five seconds.

I guess I'm ok with the current arc ending, though no idea how I feel about this current arc.

Midonin

Wake Up, Girls! 04

One minute of radio airtime just before midnight would be tough for anyone to work with. Glad to see Twinkle again, and curious what their new song is going to be. The Mayu plotline's advancing at a good pace. I'm sure we'll find out exactly what happened before episode 7, at least. And I still love the juxtaposition of these girls with the animals they have in the intro. Things like lions and sharks and hawks and other things you'd expect the leader of a Sentai team to have.

The biggest scene here was probably the I-1 scene. The BGM didn't help. Not the most flattering picture of the idol industry, there.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

You know, it just occurred to me why interactions are as they are in Nanoha. It's because they're in a universe where you romance people by raping them, and since they can't have that there's nothing left!

StrikerS should have involved space combat if they wanted to push the Super Robot angle better. Put in some aliens, make the scale bigger, etc. StrikerS the way it is is just an uninteresting re-hash. It just doesn't feel significant.

Also about that spin-off note, so does Nanoha take place in the same continuity as Triangle Heart? Or is it a completely different universe? The wiki doesn't really make it clear.
Different continuity where the father of nanoha is still alive and bailed out of his work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom