• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only other chart still gives StrikerS too much credit, but it looks nicer I suppose!
Still not quite accurate.
Striker starts , ok , gets 3 episodes of limbo, then you get the train rescue episode ( and it's good since everyone is showcasing their habilities ) AND THEN it gets into limbo until ep 9 picks up untill the vivio rescue is done and steady steadily get up untill ep 17 and finishes great.

I'm immune. I started bracing for impact when I saw that first Shimakaze figure from GSC. Those things are going to be a money sink for a lot of people, though. Lives will be ruined.
I have 2 magical barriers myself
First barrier " no money in wallet"
Second barrier "need to change home"
as long as those 2 barrier are intact , i'll be fine

Star Driver is a mecha-of-the-week with great animation and bad writing. If you know what you're getting into, it could be pretty enjoyable.

Also has the greatest dramatic dilemma of all time: why does it hurt to love two boys at once?
This is actually a great way to summarize star driver plot.

2nnibyou: I don't care anymore

qUdScgC.gif

I reached my breaking point. That was one "says desu after every fucking word she says" too fucking many. I'm DONE. I'M DONE. THAT'S IT. WHY DID I EVEN BOTHER WATCHING THIS.

The moe got to me. I'm sickened by it. It'd be more enjoyable to grab a cheese grater and rub it against my eyes followed by squirting salty lemon juice all while Macho man Randy Savage proceeds to punch me in the gut repeatedly. No more. I'm free. FREE AT LAST FREE AT LAST, MY ANIME BROTHERS FREE AT LAST.
As part of her chuuni , she doesn't say "desu" but "death"

DiGiKerot

Sure, if you think it's one of the best movies you saw in 2013?

There's someone here who goes to that Scottish anime film festival. He should be able to put whatever he saw on his list if he thinks they are his favourite films of the year.

I think there are two or three of us who head up to Scotland for SLA, but there's little point in voting for Yoyo and Nene or Patema Inverted when you can count the number of gaffers who've seen it on one hand. Madoka is a bit of a weird case because it's screened so widely in the US, but holding movies until the year of the home release is fairer on the movies themselves given it simply prevents them from being buried under stuff with wider circulation.

Speaking of Scotland, though - there's an evening of anime programming as part of the Glasgow Youth Film Festival next weekend. Blue Exorcist, The Wind Rises (first UK screening) and a FUSHIGI MYSTERY movie they've dropped no hints I've seen about. Looking forward to BE despite not having seen the TV show following recent posts here and in the AotY thread!

Move over LWA!

Maybe the advertising is a touch misleading, but they don't really bear much comparison, honestly.

duckroll

Speaking of Scotland, though - there's an evening of anime programming as part of the Glasgow Youth Film Festival next weekend. Blue Exorcist, The Wind Rises (first UK screening) and a FUSHIGI MYSTERY movie they've dropped no hints I've seen about.

According to the site it's a UK premiere, and according to the first Twitter hint it "started out as a manga series. Episodic.". Time to start guessing?!

DiGiKerot

According to the site it's a UK premiere, and according to the first Twitter hint it "started out as a manga series. Episodic.". Time to start guessing?!

Not any of the stuff I was thinking of, then. Hmmm, Saint Young Men, maybe? Kinda scratching my head a bit...

BluWacky

So, I guess I should ask - have any other Magical Girl shows pulled a "The Shield" with its opening episodes? Because that's what makes it noteworthy to me. Way more than any ambiguous "dark" take on the magical girl genre.

Remember that the action magical girl show is a fairly recent invention (i.e. post-Sailormoon) compared to the years of coming of age transformation shows that came before it, so most shows of its ilk are unlikely to have anything so dramatic happen. Furthermore, the vast majority of entertainment doesn't pull a curveball like that in its early episodes because they've got longer to play with. Few magical girl shows last less than 26 episodes due to their usual target audience being young girls and being toy-driven rather than disc-and-wank-bank-merch driven (if you'll excuse the crudity), so they can afford to spread their plots out for longer.

How many other anime in general have subverted audience expectations so quickly? It's anomalous in general, not just for sparkly shoujo heroines.

duckroll

Not any of the stuff I was thinking of, then. Hmmm, Saint Young Men, maybe? Kinda scratching my head a bit...

Would that really be something they want to show in a children's festival in the UK? It fits I suppose, but it seems like something people might want to be careful about in the West, culturally, and it seems like a bad idea to me to make it a mystery film.

DiGiKerot

Would that really be something they want to show in a children's festival in the UK? It fits I suppose, but it seems like something people might want to be careful about in the West, culturally, and it seems like a bad idea to me to make it a mystery film.

True, then again, The Wind Rises isn't exactly a kids film, and if it wasn't for the delivery snafu, they'd have played the not-necessarily-culturally-sensitive 009 RE:Cyborg last year!

duckroll

True, then again, The Wind Rises isn't exactly a kids film, and if it wasn't for the delivery snafu, they'd have played the not-necessarily-culturally-sensitive 009 RE:Cyborg last year!

None of those are mystery films though. Parents who don't approve of the subject matter can avoid them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Remember that the action magical girl show is a fairly recent invention (i.e. post-Sailormoon) compared to the years of coming of age transformation shows that came before it, so most shows of its ilk are unlikely to have anything so dramatic happen. Furthermore, the vast majority of entertainment doesn't pull a curveball like that in its early episodes because they've got longer to play with. Few magical girl shows last less than 26 episodes due to their usual target audience being young girls and being toy-driven rather than disc-and-wank-bank-merch driven (if you'll excuse the crudity), so they can afford to spread their plots out for longer.

How many other anime in general have subverted audience expectations so quickly? It's anomalous in general, not just for sparkly shoujo heroines.

Kotoura-san went the other way, with the grimdark opening going to a happy romcom show. lol

But yeah. The original point Hitokage made is that other shows have already tread on that ground. And that's probably true, but I don't know if anything either has made the same impact as Madoka or even done the exact same thing as Madoka.

The funny thing about The Shield is that even Shawn Ryan, the guy who set off the trend of dark cop shows, couldn't resist doing it again like 10 years later when he did The Chicago Code for Fox.

DiGiKerot

None of those are mystery films though. Parents who don't approve of the subject matter can avoid them.

009 Re:Cyborg was supposed to be the mystery film at last years GYFF, though - it's just because the courier failed to deliver a some tapes on time that we were subjected to *shudder*5cm/sec instead.

duckroll

009 Re:Cyborg was supposed to be the mystery film at last years GYFF, though - it's just because the courier failed to deliver a some tapes on time that we were subjected to *shudder*5cm/sec instead.

Hahaha. I remember that. I was so excited to have some people to talk to about the movie too. And you guys didn't get to see it! >_<

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kotoura-san went the other way, with the grimdark opening going to a happy romcom show. lol

But yeah. The original point Hitokage made is that other shows have already tread on that ground. And that's probably true, but I don't know if anything either has made the same impact as Madoka or even done the exact same thing as Madoka.
As sonicmj said, it's might be the first time it's been done under an otaku friendly spotlight, demographics being what they are. I also wouldn't say the exact same thing has been done before, but that's why you have a new show in the first place. Again, I'm really not trying to knock Madoka here--well, movies may change this--just some of the rhetoric thrown around about it.

Although if you'd accept highly similar, though,
like I said earlier, if PGSM had ended several minutes short of what it did, you'd have something that matches the Madoka ending as a resolution to a Madoka-like conflict. Really, if anything, SM already deconstructed itself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As sonicmj said, it's might be the first time it's been done under an otaku friendly spotlight, demographics being what they are. I also wouldn't say the exact same thing has been done before, but that's why you have a new show in the first place. Again, I'm really not trying to knock Madoka here--well, movies may change this--just some of the rhetoric thrown around about it.

Although if you'd accept highly similar, though,
like I said earlier, if PGSM had ended several minutes short of what it did, you'd have something that matches the Madoka ending as a resolution to a Madoka-like conflict. Really, if anything, SM already deconstructed itself.

To be fair, the only thing I know about PGSM is the evil-Mercury thing, and I have no idea how that resolves itself, so that's interesting... but I dunno, it's also a bit of a cheat because it's a jdrama series and not an anime. (Although, of course, it's still magical girl).

I do agree that being directly targeted at the nerds who are likely too old to be watching Precure but still do it anyway, Madoka probably had an "advantage" in that it was able to do what it did and also get noticed for it. I just don't think it's fair to diminish its impact because of those qualifiers - but I'm more than willing to admit my complete ignorance in all matters magical girl.

Also, Rebellion is great. Stop hating the movie!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Precure is almost universally unambitious. I'd love it if it were otherwise, but it's pretty much background noise as far as this kind of discussion is concerned.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Scottish talk about how mean England is to them and that's why the Scottish National Party thinks they deserve independence, but look at the way they hog all the anime to themselves. If anything they're the mean ones. I'm writing a stern letter to Alex Salmond right this moment!

Hahaha. I remember that. I was so excited to have some people to talk to about the movie too. And you guys didn't get to see it! >_<
And then I went to see it, reviewed it and like no one talked about it. Boo boo boo to you.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Precure is almost universally unambitious. I'd love it if it were otherwise, but it's pretty much background noise as far as this kind of discussion is concerned.
I just mean in terms of the audience. Madoka feels like it's made for either 20-30 somethings that still watch magical girl shows and paint their cars in Heartcatch Precure colours or for lapsed magical girl fans who have outgrown DoReMi/Precure/Sailor Moon and watched it on a whim. Much like The Shield relied on expectations of cop shows to make the opening "twist" so exciting (that and stunt casting), Madoka almost insists that you have some knowledge of magical girl shows in order to appreciate what it's trying to do.

This would probably be some form of abuse, but it would be interesting to see what age-appropriate (pre-tween?) girls would think of the show anyway.

The Scottish talk about how mean England is to them and that's why the Scottish National Party thinks they deserve independence, but look at the way they hog all the anime to themselves. If anything they're the mean ones. I'm writing a stern letter to Alex Salmond right this moment!
At least they're not Wales?

PsionBolt

I just mean in terms of the audience. Madoka feels like it's made for either 20-30 somethings that still watch magical girl shows and paint their cars in Heartcatch Precure colours or for lapsed magical girl fans who have outgrown DoReMi/Precure/Sailor Moon and watched it on a whim.
I really don't feel like this is true. Madoka appeals to mainstream anime fans (as mainstream as anime fans can really be; you understand my meaning, I hope). Longtime magical girl watchers seem to fall into two groups: those who see nothing new in Madoka, and those who see it as being not a "real" magical girl show. I don't think there is much middle ground of acceptance there.

I'd be interested to know which recent magicl girl shows you would call ambitious.

Reknoc

And then I went to see it, reviewed it and like no one talked about it. Boo boo boo to you.

We just don't love anime enough is the problem

sonicmj1

Madoka almost insists that you have some knowledge of magical girl shows in order to appreciate what it's trying to do.

The only knowledge that Madoka insists that you have is the basic premise of a magical girl show. As long as you know that there are talking animal-like mascots that give little girls special outfits with magic powers, you're good to go. That's stuff you could pick up just by growing up in Japan, without watching a single episode of any of those shows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only knowledge that Madoka insists that you have is the basic premise of a magical girl show. As long as you know that there are talking animal-like mascots that give little girls special outfits with magic powers, you're good to go. That's stuff you could pick up just by growing up in Japan, without watching a single episode of any of those shows.
I would assume the Mami intro episodes lose a lot of their shock/surprise value if you don't have any expectations for a magical girl show though.

Kansoku

Okay, what the hell. Every time I come here someone else is watching the same shows I am. It started with Aku no Hana, then Mushishi, then Tatami Galaxy, and now Kyousougiga. Next someone will post about Girls und Panzer, I bet.

Midonin

Kill La Kill 16

I'd say something about how
everything is aliens
could easily throw me off, but there's been enough vague hints about how weird things must be behind the scenes that this feels like a natural development. Even with all the info, it was still delivered in an entertaining way, and the "recap" at the start was a nice defiance of expectations. I like the new opening and ending - Mako's the best - and am looking forward to seeing where this goes. First a class trip, now a school festival. Where the performance leads to mankind's doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom