• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how long Magi The Kingdom of Magic is supposed to run? Is it getting too close to the manga that it has to stop soon, or is it far enough that it can go on for a long while? I'm really enjoying the show so far.

Just make sure she doesnt bring home Juden Chan because it does have a REALLY cute and attractive cover!

Welp, she already got Eiken. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Of course she let me take it off her hands. I didn't want to be rude :p

cajunator

Banned
Asuna wasn't even the worst girl in Sword Art Online.

That role will always be filled by Shituguha.

I wouldnt know. Never got that far. Im inclined to agree though.

Does anyone know how long Magi The Kingdom of Magic is supposed to run? Is it getting too close to the manga that it has to stop soon, or is it far enough that it can go on for a long while? I'm really enjoying the show so far.

Welp, she already got Eiken. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Of course she let me take it off her hands. I didn't want to be rude :p

Oh my GOOOOOOOOOOD

Kyuur

This season will be the same length as last's most likely. After that, they will be fairly close to catching up to the manga. They will probably do another season in a year as they'll have enough material again by then, though they might be cutting it a bit close so maybe 1.5-2 years instead.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 9:

It is interesting how the dynamics can shift in a given episode, Fate managed to stand toe to toe with Nanoha, indeed probably had the edge in power but with her alliance with TSAB Nanoha now has power and resources beyond what can be managed. Basically this is another hitting of the fast forward button in regards to the Jewel Seeds. I am sure if this were a long show the hunt would have dragged out for longer but given this is only 13 episodes we got to move shit along. The upshot is that all Jewel Seeds have now been recovered by one side or the other and the TSBA now has a much fuller idea of the power of the Testarosa line.

Midonin

Strike the Blood 16

A little something for the foot fetishists in this one. Also, Kojo's mom. She's the perverted/doting type, and also a magical medical doctor. I like her. The bigger mystery is probably the plotline of Asagi and the girl who ran up to Kojo's mom at the start of the episode. What's her deal? Since this arc is basically welded onto the end of the last one, it feels longer than the others so far. Nice development going on.

Vecks

Hozuki's Slice off Lives in Hell - Episode 4

This show is pretty awesome. The two story format every week works out really well, and I love how random but yet dedicated the humor can be. You never know what to expect next, but once they start on a theme for a gag, they keep going until every part of it is exhausted. It can also be a pretty educational show, since a lot of the references have actual cultural and historical value for those interested in Asian mythology and folklore. When Hozuki introduced that storybook in the second story, loooooooooooool. Sogood.

Wait. That wasn't an actual story, was it?

DiGiKerot

I hadn't seen all those clues. It's Mai Mai Miracle, clearly.

Yay?

Huh. Didn't really think of that previously, mainly because it toured UK cinemas a year or two back. Kind of less interested now, as I'm pretty luke-warm on the movie.

Oh, well, I'll see how the kickstarter is set out on Monday. Will probably shill for just the movie if MMM is the movie in question.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kill la Kill episode 16
sogood.gif I loved it, the new opening is great and so much better than the first one.

Link Man

Banned
Arakawa Under the Bridge-Episode 2

Good job at ruining the surprise, episode 1 credits. Still, the show is fun in its wackiness, and I look forward to experiencing more of it. And there was a surprising focus on character building for Recruit.

Kansoku

Kill la Kill - 16

Did they really had to make that scene?

Anyway, loved they showed a bit of Satsuki having problems because of Junketsu, it makes her more human. Mako is still the best thing in this anime.

I have this feeling that Satsuki will go against her mother, and liked that Ryuko stood up and decided to go against the "plan" for a change

Anyway. new ED is great.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 10:

Not much to say about this episode, just a cool down transnational episode into the true final encounter between Fate and Nanoha. This time there must be a winner.

This season will be the same length as last's most likely. After that, they will be fairly close to catching up to the manga. They will probably do another season in a year as they'll have enough material again by then, though they might be cutting it a bit close so maybe 1.5-2 years instead.

Thanks, that sounds pretty good. At least I know it'll be a while before I need to find another anime to take its place while I wait for more.

What's the origin of characters that speak in Kansai dialects when they get angry? Been watching Strike the Blood and Pet-girl and noticed that two of the characters do that, as well as some characters in other shows/manga. Which character(s) made that popular or where did it originate from?

jman2050

You know, it just occurred to me why interactions are as they are in Nanoha. It's because they're in a universe where you romance people by raping them, and since they can't have that there's nothing left!

I dunno,
Nanoha basically romancesbefriendsromanceswhatevers Fate by shooting her in the face using her staff so it's sort of a similar type of deal!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 11:

At long last Fate and Nanoha have their true final battle and it plays out like many of their past encounters that is until Nanoha pulls put some moves from the book of Monkey D. Luffy.
By that I mean Nanoha outmaneuvers Fate by changing up her move set and adding a tactic just acquired from the enemy. Good stuff there. Fate is now a prisoner of the TSAB, manacled and everything. A bad day just got worse as she learns she is nothing more then a stand in doll for the real Alica who died in a tragic accident and blah blah blah. Prescia ceased all sympathies once she engaged in the hateful and cruel abuse. Anyway, in a break from magical girl tradition not all the mcgufins were recovered by the villain as she opens a very risky door to this place called Alhazard, presumably to become the new queen of the Bugrom.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 37

Oh come the fuck on. The waiter's skin is blue. You're a fucking PHD in advanced Scienomics, Dr. Saotome, and you can't figure out that this guy is a Dinosaur assassin?

Jarmel

Banned
Strike the Blood-16

This is so shitty. Another show I should have dropped long ago. I love how there is no fucking tension while a bunch of superconvicts run around the city. Let's have fun fun fondle time instead.

Branduil

Kyousougiga

iboi41a3vVXmiD.jpg
iuv9d3tXx3uAI.jpg

ib0MPnN9zY3i50.jpg
iN259yaQJc6VJ.jpg

The narrative was a bit of a mess and it got pretty convoluted and drawn-out towards the end but it was still pretty good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 12:

So we have reached the climax of the story with all hands on deck, including a fully turned Fate in order to stop Prescia from dooming the local dimensional sectors, which includes Earth, which is where Nanahoa has all of her stuff. Quite a bit of mook fighter here, which tries to be interesting but feels quite a bit like filler before the final encounter. Also, that was some non too subtle foreshadowing with the pit of eternal magical peril. Indeed Prescia is dispatched in a rather anti-climatic fashion. Though this was more about Fate coming to terms with herself as a quasi-free person. Granted she is free from her mother's grasp, but is still kind of criminal n the eyes of the law.

CorvoSol

Everything is going exactly how I imagined.

Mobile Suit Gundam 36

Not that bad of an episode. The problem with it is, of course, Tomino's pacing and the fact that UC is bogged down by the shitty, Monster of the Week feel of Mobile Armors. That said, we did have a lot of good stuff in this episode. Bright confesses to Mirai,
Dozle's badass death
, Slegger and Mirai's hamburger fueled make out sesh,
Slegger's subsequent tragic death
. It was an episode that had consequences and meaning, unlike so many other Mobile Armor episodes.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 12:

So we have reached the climax of the story with all hands on deck, including a fully turned Fate in order to stop Prescia from dooming the local dimensional sectors, which includes Earth, which is where Nanahoa has all of her stuff. Quite a bit of mook fighter here, which tries to be interesting but feels quite a bit like filler before the final encounter. Also, that was some non too subtle foreshadowing with the pit of eternal magical peril. Indeed Prescia is dispatched in a rather anti-climatic fashion. Though this was more about Fate coming to terms with herself as a quasi-free person. Granted she is free from her mother's grasp, but is still kind of criminal n the eyes of the law.

I felt robbed when I saw that episode.

I wanted a rage-filled final battle between Nanoha and Precia sooo badly but noooo.

Thankfully, A's makes up for that robbery.

Branduil

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 1

That was pretty fun. The art direction is nice, and the animation and character designs are great as you'd expect from a Ryotimo show. There's a satisfying quality to the linework and coloring that's rare to see.

Kill la Kill 16

An improvement, while being pure infodump it finally made the plot click on place,
Nudist people vs big clothes corporation under the influence of a super alien cloth being is a cool concept.
New op is nice, Mako is best, and the bath scene was WTF inducing, totally gratuitous and unrelated to the rest of the series. Even if it has fanservice, it didn't have that kind of fanservice before.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 13:

Well, I thought the escape from the doomed villain lair was going to eat up more then like 3 minutes of screen time, as a result most of the ending felt drawn out and dull outside of the emotional farewell between Fate and Nanoha.

Series Review:

Right, this was a decent series, at least in the second half, the first half was so bland that I probably would have dropped it without some advanced knowledge. Some people told me this broke out of the magical girl genre and that may be the case with the sequel series. Even with the addition of the irregular elements, this was still pretty ventured territory. Honestly this felt like a rather compressed season of Sailor Moon. It is watchable but not remarkable. Given the heavy hinting that the peanut gallery is offering, sequel series Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's sounds like it is going to be a cut above. We shall see in due time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom