• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
So if I loved everything that Evangelion stands for and hated all Gundam shows that I watched which one of these mecha series should I prioritize watching next

Vision of Escaflowne
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Gunbuster

OK, so I extended the time to 8am UTC. You better vote.

Take this as a lesson on why you should read the OP.

Pretty sure I did my vote correctly, just number your picks and at least explain one of them, up to 10 for anime series and up to 3 for movies/ovas?

cajunator

Banned
It's sad, because most people are missing what Miyazaki actually meant with his comments (of course the sensational title doesn't help) in their rush to pile on with their grudges against moe/fanservice/whatever.

moe to me is just a pleasant art style. It simply makes anime more appealing to me and does not affect the actual quality of a show. Art that has a cute appearance is moe. Its just like how live action movies typically have attractive looking actresses.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Episode 1:

Welp, it is a new season and and not a whole lot has changed with the cast and crew in the half year time lapse. Though I can already see why A's gets the praise it does as the dark alliance of mysteriously evil mages has emerged to be a force to be reckoned with. Indeed, the red clad Vita demonstrates she is really good and generating force with her sledgehammer and makes quick work of Nonoha's so last season powers. Looks like the next episode is going to be a team brawl. Yea, this is a much stronger start then season one.

Hold on tight. Youre on a rocketship to mars.

CorvoSol

So if I loved everything that Evangelion stands for and hated all Gundam shows that I watched which one of these mecha series should I prioritize watching next

Vision of Escaflowne
Gunbuster

I can't speak to Giant Robo, but Escaflowne and Gunbuster are both stellar.

Have you seen G Gundam? It's better than all the other Gundams anyway.

Kazzy

OK, so I extended the time to 8am UTC. You better vote.

Take this as a lesson on why you should read the OP.

But GAF has conditioned us to skip OPs, and forgo all the marketing fluff. I blame Gaming side.

Honestly, people had a month to vote. There's no excuse for people who weren't able to get their posts in in time. #realtalk #stopprocrastinating

I honestly have no right to complain, especially if the likes of AOT win.

wonzo

Banned

Vision of Escaflowne
Gunbuster
GIANT ROBO (Original Dub) hands down.

Mature

Vision of Escaflowne
Gunbuster
You really can't go wrong here. You'll probably see a bit of Eva DNA in Gunbuster. So you may want to do that for fun.

Finalow

Wait did Samurai Flamenco stop being a crappy anime version of Kick Ass and turn into a serious action show? Should I jump back in I quit half way though episode 1 because it was so dumb.
Lol, if episode 1 was dumb for you then you should totally not jump back in it.

Narag

Vision of Escaflowne
Gunbuster

Gunbuster

Nordicus

I made the game worth playing! You're welcome!
*shakes fist*

Damn it man, a romance between a now broke, naïve bubbly ojou-sama, and a dark edgy film noir detective is boring as hell despite how attractive both might be!

Jokes aside GW2 was a hell of a lot fun to play, will probably get back into it sometime soon.
I play it on and off since new content comes regularly and some of my friends still play, but it's really Neverwinter Online that gave me new appreciation for the game lately.

Can a game that's uglier than GW2 run way worse than GW2?
Can a more "action-based" game than GW2 have unresponsive, laggy, crappy controls?

Yes. Yes it absolutely can.

Wait did Samurai Flamenco stop being a crappy anime version of Kick Ass and turn into a serious action show? Should I jump back in I quit half way though episode 1 because it was so dumb.

It became a deconstruction of itself or something. It's definitely not Kick Ass anymore at the very least.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It makes sense from a certain perspective but when you consider it means the entire western hemisphere will have passed the deadline before January has ended for them I feel like it's a lot less logical.

I mean it is technically fair since it was in the OP but I don't feel like it hurts the legitimacy of anyone's votes to extend it either.
Americans can't always live in their own little world, you know!

Everyone had a month to at least look up "UTC".

Finalow

Attack on Titan has pretty much no chance of winning. It's probably going to be Yamato 2199.
yep.

9yZq6vCl.png

cajunator

Banned
Just ignore it. I'm already seeing the usual suspects that hate not only modern anime, but its fans as well. There's even that guy that threatened to shoot moe fans if they got near him or something.

the funny thing is there are plenty of us who have been there through 70,80s,90s anime and remember it well but DONT dwell on the past. You can celebrate classic era anime without forsakking animes present and future. Its all preference anyway.

Hey Buddy

e66IhaC.jpg

Well...I want this. Like bad. At least I ordered the Kon cellphone cover.

cnet128

Banned
pupa 4

That's one fucked-up virus.

So wait,
if the brother's regenerative powers are the result of the same virus that's infected his sister, how come he isn't turning into a man-eating monster? From the sound of the "just let your sis eat you for the rest of your lives" proposal, it's like nobody's even considering that possibility, even though creepy lady just described the regenerative powers upon which that plan hinges as being a tradeoff for the whole "hungry for human flesh" thing...

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
*shakes fist*

Damn it man, a romance between a now broke, naïve bubbly ojou-sama, and a dark edgy film noir detective is boring as hell despite how attractive both might be!

Sounds pretty amazing imo!

I play it on and off since new content comes regularly and some of my friends still play, but it's really Neverwinter Online that gave me new appreciation for the game lately.

Can a game that's uglier than GW2 run way worse than GW2?
Can a more "action-based" game than GW2 have unresponsive, laggy, crappy controls?

Yes. Yes it absolutely can.

Oh god I played Neverwinter for like 5 hours and was like "Yeah, no." and haven't touched it since. I've been wanting to get back into MMOs pretty badly as of late, but aside from GW2 the one I'm waiting for is Blade&Soul.

Who can say no to this? (slightly nsfw)

survivor

Banned
Thanks for help guys. Seems like they are all good so I will just go through them all probably starting with Gunbuster as it's the shortest.

I can't speak to Giant Robo, but Escaflowne and Gunbuster are both stellar.

Have you seen G Gundam? It's better than all the other Gundams anyway.

My friend lent me the manga like 8 years ago, don't recall liking its take on the series. Then again the show is probably much different since the manga was only 3 volumes.

Narag

My friend lent me the manga like 8 years ago, don't recall liking its take on the series. Then again the show is probably much different since the manga was only 3 volumes.

If you end up liking Giant Robo, you might end up liking G Gundam given the director.

CorvoSol

Thanks for help guys. Seems like they are all good so I will just go through them all probably starting with Gunbuster as it's the shortest.

I think G is really good even if you don't like the rest of Gundam because it avoids a lot of the things that kinda sour other Gundam shows. It sort of depends on what, specifically, you didn't like about Gundam.

Desert Punk Dub 14

Kosuna gets to show off how much of a bad ass she is this episode, really this show's writing continues to impress it's a shame more people haven't seen this or heard about it, it's really fantastic.

cajunator

Banned
Desert Punk Dub 14

Kosuna gets to show off how much of a bad ass she is this episode, really this show's writing continues to impress it's a shame more people haven't seen this or heard about it, it's really fantastic.

Ive squeed about Desert Punk many times. Im happy some people still watch it. It has a Trigun-like feel to the settings and comedy that I just love to death.

Ive squeed about Desert Punk many times. Im happy some people still watch it. It has a Trigun-like feel to the settings and comedy that I just love to death.

Yeah that's what I thought, it's like Trigun if the protagonist wasn't a super human freak and was more of a normal pervert 20 something who's overly exception and bright if not a bit insane. I think some of it's lewdness factor might scare people away which is too bad as it's really well done. It's too bad this didn't and probably will never air on Toonami as the dub is spectacular and I feel a lot of that audience would love Desert Punk

Seem to remember there was a lot of one-off Jojo posts last year. Probably more not wanting to give it sympathy votes.

Yeah. Dunno. Most posts in AoT thread were quite positive compared to something like SAO though so I thought it's going to run away with AOTY. Maybe Jojo having existing fanbase had a effect that people bothered to vote despite not watching anything else.

Narag

Yeah. Dunno. Most posts in AoT thread were quite positive compared to something like SAO though so I thought it's going to run away with AOTY. Maybe Jojo having existing fanbase had a effect that people bothered to vote despite not watching anything else.

Existing fanbase is a good point.

I think the part where Jojo was actually good helped it here.

And it got votes from every direction, including AnimeGafers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom