• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I need to go talk to some reps.

Though I honestly wouldn't be opposed if they just pulled the rights and reverted to crunchy because madman does notttttt have an app or anything approaching a decent streaming service. Though on the upside they don't charge.

Certainly I would prefer some kind of app, but honestly the limited amount of stuff I have watched there has been fine. Their web player supports airplay so its been pretty fine for the most part.

I still find it weird that they aren't trying to build a business around streaming video content (be it anime or their other video content).

Just finished TWGOK Goddesses.

I'm falling asleep here, so I'll post pics and more coherent thoughts tomorrow. Although I will say now, I was right about Chihiro. ;__;

Jintor

Certainly I would prefer some kind of app, but honestly the limited amount of stuff I have watched there has been fine. Their web player supports airplay so its been pretty fine for the most part.

I still find it weird that they aren't trying to build a business around streaming video content (be it anime or their other video content).

The biggest anime company in Australia is still small beans when it comes to that kind of thing, I'd guess. And given the state of internet infrastructure in Australia, it might not be a viable model.

Besides, anime DVD sales are prettty dammmn expensive. Maybe they don't want to undercut themselves.

fertygo

Yamato 2199 - 20

My god, how this episode surpassing eps 18 at every level. HOW?
Simply godly, all those intensity man.

Also #TeamBlue starting make me tempted to jump ship, because dayum
NSFW : http://i.minus.com/ibtnlX6L1h9fAl.jpg

Some fanservice in this show can be tasteless, but some other are hot like hell.. sucks it Abram.

LordCanti

How many chances do they get? I feel bad for them that it happened, but if it was just a guessed URL, it's not like they shouldn't have foreseen this happening.

Yamato 2199 - 20

My god, how this episode surpassing eps 18 at every level. HOW?
Simply godly, all those intensity man.

Also #TeamBlue starting make me tempted to jump ship, because dayum
NSFW : http://i.minus.com/ibtnlX6L1h9fAl.jpg

Some fanservice in this show can be tasteless, but some other are hot like hell.. sucks it Abram.

#TeamBlue
Balls

Ghale Counseling!

trembli0s

Long time lurker, infrequent poster.

Marathoned the hell out of this after seeing all the recs on here. Probably my favorite series of all time now. Slightly predictable at times but hits all its notes nearly perfectly.

I'm shocked I hadn't heard of the series before I jumped in this thread during the Christmas break. Sad that it's over but what an enriching work.

MartyStu

Space Dandy Preview?

Since I was never hyped for this, I suppose I am not so much disappointed as I am ambivalent.

Nothing offensive, but certainly nothing of note. Yet?

Quasar

The biggest anime company in Australia is still small beans when it comes to that kind of thing, I'd guess. And given the state of internet infrastructure in Australia, it might not be a viable model.

Besides, anime DVD sales are prettty dammmn expensive. Maybe they don't want to undercut themselves.

I guess. Still I'd think Madman is actually bigger than say Quickflix.

LordCanti

Space Dandy Preview?

Since I was never hyped for this, I suppose I am not so much disappointed as I am ambivalent.

Nothing offensive, but certainly nothing of note. Yet?

The nine minute preview (that is the first nine eps of the show)? Yeah, it's not exactly the strongest character introduction segment of any anime I've ever seen.

Aikatsu! 20

nYauy0G.jpg
gDMzdwC.jpg

Interesting imagery here. You know, considering how some of the idols get initial hype, you think the ones the show considers noteworthy would actually have their cards, but not Yurika. Then again, having those episodes are a passage of rite to being part of the main cast.

And yes, the scandal thing was relevant, and so was Johnny Bepp's amazingness.

Jintor

Yamato 02

Nothing super exciting. Gamalians are peeps too, except their colour scheme is green. Crew is introduced-ish. Time to fly, but the CG nature of the ship kind of robs it of its impressiveness a little. Can't stop watching

fertygo

Yamato 2199 - 21

Man they even make me feel for the biggest douche in show. And I'm enjoying how this episode more on goofball side than last few epic episode.

Also Yurisha try to challenge the waifu spot.

Hunter x Hunter - 70

I somehow highly doubt Hisoka is top 5. I don't understand why some people are claiming that. I can easily think of 8 people stronger than him...

Netero, "Gon-san", Mereum, the 3 Royal Guards, Ging, Chrollo

Ants kind of don't count, they aren't human, they are an exception, an aberration of nature.

He is supposed to be tied with Chrollo. If you think about it, we never has seen Hisoka fight seriously: he didn't fight seriously against Gon, the volleyball game was a game.

But it's true he surely isn't in the top 5, we have to take in account the Zoldyk family.

Lucentto

Banned
School Days 1-12

My fucking god. I have no words for this shit. I have watched anime for many years, but this is the only shit show that I watched that actually managed to kill me. This show is a fucking abomination, I can't believe I let people convince me to watch this shit. Not even Oreimo 2 managed to make me feel like this, fuck this shit. I am fucking done, I am going to sleep. I truly hope I can forget that I watched this shit.

Theonik

School Days 1-12

My fucking god. I have no words for this shit. I have watched anime for many years, but this is the only shit show that I watched that actually managed to kill me. This show is a fucking abomination, I can't believe I let people convince me to watch this shit. Not even Oreimo 2 managed to make me feel like this, fuck this shit. I am fucking done, I am going to sleep. I truly hope I can forget that I watched this shit.
You never quite forget School Days.

Jintor

School Days 1-12

another one bites the dust
another one bites the dust (hey hey)
another one bites the dust
another one bites the dust (guitar solo)

LordCanti

School Days 1-12

Now play the game and complete the cycle.

School Days 1-12

You've watched a masterpiece, that's why you feel that way.

Jintor

Yamato 04

Destroyers are fucking tiny in this show! Or at least this Isokaze-class is. It's probably... I'd estimate the size of a small mansion? I guess capital ships aren't as awesome in this resource-lost world.

The music is really cool. Sounds like something out of the 80s show.

/edit oh shit

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
School Days 1-12

Mmm, what you say?
Mm, that you only meant well? Well, of course you did.
Mmm, what you say?
Mm, that it's all for the best? Of course it is.
Mmm, what you say?
Mm, that it's just what we need? And you decided this.
What you say?
Mmm, what did you say?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So after reading the aoty thread I decided to check out yamato 2199 and I'm 7 episodes in and its amazing. Someone compared it to babylon 5 and yeah it definitely has that feeling to it. Thanks for the recommendation

duckroll

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled - Episode 2

sLPzk4A.jpg

I really can't decide which is dumber - the mech design or the weapon it uses. Probably the weapon.

This was a pretty weird episode. The first half had some really strange character animation, where some characters made a lot of unnecessary movements but none of them seemed fluid or natural. I dunno if it was some weird intended style or if it was just badly made, but it didn't look very good. But the stranger thing is the tone of the entire show. Akito desperately wants to be taken seriously, and it seems to be trying really hard to be an authentic war story - except it's set in the Code Geass universe, with Code Geass character designs, and nonsensical Code Geass story currents. I don't think it really works, but it's not particularly offensive, just weird.

What is equally puzzling is the pacing of this series. It's a 4-part OVA, which usually means a fast paced narrative which tries to get maximum bang for the buck with a limited runtime. That's hardly the case here, where they seem happy with a leisurely pace for most of the first and second episodes, just building up the setting and characters, and setting up what feels like the "real story" to come later. So half the series is over, and it feels like nothing has really happened. I appreciate careful development, but in this case it feels more like I've seen 4-5 episodes in a 26 episode series. Maybe the remaining episodes will get longer and longer, who knows, but the fact remains that it's been over 3 years since the project was first announced, and I feel they've gotten almost nowhere in terms of showing where they're going with this story.

The action remains awesome though. There are some really complex shots on display, and Akane's preference for over the top hype kinetic movements and crazy camerawork fits Orange's CG expertise really well. It's pretty exciting to watch, and it's actually pretty well choreographed. Another impressive point is that they actually bothered to do the "no sound in space" thing with the sound design, limiting sound effects in space to cockpit scenes. Again this shows that the show really wants to be taken seriously as a grounded and "realistic" take on the Code Geass franchise, but when the characters are piloting insect mechs while wearing body hugging plug suits which show off a ton of cleavage and butt cracks, it just feels like a huge disconnect.

So yeah, I don't know how I really feel about this at all. I enjoyed the episode itself, especially towards the end, but there's this nagging feeling as I watch it that it just doesn't feel "right" and I keep rolling my eyes at how it can jump from really stupid Geass-like scenes to really wannabe-gritty scenes of how it feels to be a soldier in war and how "complex" the social situation is in the world. It actually feels a lot like how I felt while watching Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor. Lol.

duckroll

Here's an illustrated example of why I feel there's a huge disconnect in what Akito seems to want to be, and what Code Geass itself actually is.

We have thoughtful and "profound" scenes like these:

And at the same time we have scenes like these:

It's just fucking hilarious and ruins any gravitas the show tries to have, so the entire tone feels like a bouncing ball. It's not even tone whiplash, it's just trying to have its cake and eat it too, except in this case it's really not possible, so it feels dumb to even try.

Defuser

All this talking of AOTY and looking at the AOTY 2013 thread votes makes me realized I got nothing that I want to vote for 2013 despite a few amazing shows. I guess I'll be sitting out of this year.

Why did they put that protrusion there? I wish I could stop looking at it, it's quite horrifying.
Unfortunate result when a monster si doing a forced evolution !

Hunter x Hunter - 70

I somehow highly doubt Hisoka is top 5. I don't understand why some people are claiming that. I can easily think of 8 people stronger than him...

Netero, "Gon-san", Mereum, the 3 Royal Guards, Ging, Chrollo
Hisoka was never seen fight at full strenght and his deception habilities are so far the best there is.

Gon-san is a plot device cheat code, as for chrollo i'm not sure he is stronger..ON base stats maybe But hisoka seemed confident that he would have enjoyed that fight, so there is some uncertainty here.
Digimon Xros Wars II 04

1t1CEAsl.jpg

We are really going on with this monster junk of the week now? I mean, it's not even like people are getting character development cause even if it supposed to be someone's turn to shine, the terrible main character takes his share of it.
I told you Xros wars 2 was awefull , it was canned for a reason.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All this talking of AOTY and looking at the AOTY 2013 thread votes makes me realized I got nothing that I want to vote for 2013 despite a few amazing shows. I guess I'll be sitting out of on this year.
Just vote for Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku and Puchimas. If you need a comment just use "Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku takes the best ingredients and serves up a lovely hot plate of anime goodness. A fine viewing experience."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom