• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 5

I guess everyone except glasses guy got the idiot ball this episode. No wonder Earth lost to these guys. Really dumb plan especially when they could have just used the
Wave Motion Gun.
Stay losing Yamato.

You can't just WMG everything, cus it's a metaphor.
What sort of story this would be, if the "solution" of every part of the journey is the Yamato using a weapon they're not supposed to have in the first place to completely eradicate every planet and outpost which has an enemy presence as they travel across the universe.
Right, the Yamato is not a ship designed to bring death and destruction to the universe, it's designed to bring hope and salvation. The WMG is, supposedly to be used for defence. This concept is pretty core to the story of the show.
Meh.

Much prefer Natsume.

Natsume, while good, is staunchly inferior.

Jex

So, why isn't destroying the Pluto base considered a necessity to begin with when the show immediately establishes from the first episode that mankind might not survive another year due to the continued asteroid bombardment/Garmillasforming? Conveniently, the Yamato's trip is also calculated to take no less than one year, which, even without accounting for the near-certainty that delays will extend the duration of the voyage past the desired timeframe, means that not destroying the base is essentially flirting with the possibility of Yamato returning to a completely dead planet.

although, I guess once a story about space travel ignores time dilation, who really cares anyway?

This one's quite easy, I think:
The journey needs to be done in a year because that's all the time Earth has left. They can't factor in additional time because humanity soon faces extinction and this is the fastest they could build and launch the Yamato.

As to why they weren't tasked with destroying the Pluto base, at this point it makes no difference to the planet. Everyone is already living underground and the surface is completely contaminated. A few more planet bombs won't make any difference, much like stopping the Pluto base won't make any difference because the radiation is destroying the planet. Hence, taking time out from a very tight schedule is a bad idea.

However, destroying the base certainly raises morale in terms of getting revenge. As hollow as that may be.

fertygo

This is great

LRtik7h.jpg

mwUf5l1.jpg

LayLa

No Crunchyroll for me since I'm from Europe.
But well, I'm not a big fan of Crunchyroll anyway. The lack of typeset drives me crazy. I have to know what's written everywhere, even if it's not of any importance :p

Errr, I'm in Europe

Mushi-shi special episode will be available to Crunchyroll audiences in the following territories: US, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South America, Europe, Middle East, and Africa.

Dynedom

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 01

Oh man. Oh man! This is pretty sweet. The CG isn't half bad at all. The space battles! The dog-fighting! The
song on Yukikaze's last strike!
. The music in general. I'm getting a real old school feel from this (which I guess it to be expected given its a remake).

You also seem to have a character set for development in the younger Kodai. He's got that brash, impetuousness nature you'd expect. Shoot first, ask questions later. Okita looks like he's going to be a great character as well.

I can't comment too much on the plot being fairly typical as this is a remake and perhaps at the time, stories of this nature weren't so common. The desire for revenge against an alien race so early in a series, for example, reminds me quite a bit of Mospeada. I think the original Yamato came out well before it though. I'm wondering if the very grim nature of the fate of the earth and the apparent ruthlessness of the aliens was fairly common when this series first released.

Character designs are good but I think the really impressive stuff lies with the machinery (especially the Model 52). The final shots of
the sunken battleship (which I'm assuming is/was the Yamato)
were quite pretty as well.

Looking forward to the rest of this. I can't believe this show flew under my radar, given how much I love shows like LoGH, Crest/Banner of the Stars and even Irresponsible Captain Tylor. I hope this is a real character-driven show.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
No Crunchyroll for me since I'm from Europe.
But well, I'm not a big fan of Crunchyroll anyway. The lack of typeset drives me crazy. I have to know what's written everywhere, even if it's not of any importance :p

hey did you know

Crunchyroll works in Europe

Yeah

Dynedom

Do we have OP/ED awards as well? I started checking out various songs over the year and I'm loving Just One Life by Spyair (Samumenco's OP song).

This seems like the perfect thread to ask this question, so here I go:

I want to try to get into anime, but I don't really know where to start. The guys on my favorite podcast(Super Best Friendcast) really like Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan, and I generally have the same tastes as they do.

So the question is: Are these 2 accessible at all for someone who has not been following an animated show since forever? And if not, what are your suggestions?

I want to try to get into anime, but I don't really know where to start. The guys on my favorite podcast(Super Best Friendcast) really like Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan, and I generally have the same tastes as they do.

So the question is: Are these 2 accessible at all for someone who has not been following an animated show since forever? And if not, what are your suggestions?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173356

Start with the greats.

Owwari

Banned

As much as it hurts me I wouldn't recommend those shows for Anime starters.
You should watch a couple of episodes from classic animes like Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note, Code Geass, Gundam, Toradora, Clannad, etc (different genres) and see which one fits your tastes.

THEN, you should look for more recent shows from that specific genre. Otherwise, you'll get overwhelmed, I would definitely if I watched Kill la Kill with no experience.

fertygo

Start with Cowboy Bebop, Nausicaa, Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan and Mushi-shi

After you know what you like the most, ask again.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Try them out. They're straightforward enough.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 49

HOaosSc.jpg

Now it's even more like K-ON S2.

ZzjQLDM.jpg

It was clearly apparent just watching the first couple minutes, but this is the other episode directed by Mamoru Hosoda. This was one of the best episodes in the show, up with Sharp 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom