• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems like the perfect thread to ask this question, so here I go:

I want to try to get into anime, but I don't really know where to start. The guys on my favorite podcast(Super Best Friendcast) really like Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan, and I generally have the same tastes as they do.

So the question is: Are these 2 accessible at all for someone who has not been following an animated show since forever? And if not, what are your suggestions?

Attack on the Titan is good, but unfinished, you haven been warned.

I can't recommend Kill la Kill, if you want something of that style but better, try Gurren Lagann.

Other good animes (tv series) can be Mushi-shi, Planetes, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, Tatami Galaxy, Tsuritama, Gankutsuou, Full Metal Alchemist, Monster, Haibane Renmei.

With that you should have enough for a while!

Kansoku

So I just discovered that I accidentally skipped eps 3 and 4 of Chuu2. -.-
So last post, instead of 1~5 it should have been 1,2 and 5~7;

WHOOP WHOOP ASS TO FAT - 3,4 and 8~10
So eps 3 and 4 explain some stuff like the club, Mori Summer, and other things.

And everything is still pretty good. There's 2 episodes left and I still can't see why people dislike this so much. The comedy is still strong and good, the romance was obviously from the moment I read the name of the anime. Rikka's backstory is interesting, and was something I was imagining.
The way she lived with her sister, and had few friends showed that she does these thing to cope with something, Turns out her dad died and she don't want to face it. Now I want to see how things will be with her mother. It seems that she will accept stuff, but will still do chuunibyou stuff because there's a second season.

And and, WHAT THE FUCK KYOANI? WHAT IN THE FREAKING FUCK?

Jex

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 01

Looking forward to the rest of this. I can't believe this show flew under my radar, given how much I love shows like LoGH, Crest/Banner of the Stars and even Irresponsible Captain Tylor. I hope this is a real character-driven show.

It would certainly seem to the kind of show that's right up your street!

More anime from the RightStuf sale showed up today (+ some other stuff):
Nkz5wcR.jpg

Bought Place to Place because it was recommended to me in this thread. Thanks.

Jex

This seems like the perfect thread to ask this question, so here I go:

I want to try to get into anime, but I don't really know where to start. The guys on my favorite podcast(Super Best Friendcast) really like Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan, and I generally have the same tastes as they do.

So the question is: Are these 2 accessible at all for someone who has not been following an animated show since forever? And if not, what are your suggestions?
They are certainly as accessible and mainstream as you're going to find in anime outside of something by Studio Ghibli (the creators of such popular family films as Spirited Away, Ponyo etc).

This is pretty solid advice. Even though that list is a few years old it still lists some of the greatest anime ever and the majority of them are newcomer friendly. I would certainly avoid super long running shows like One Piece, however, just to give yourself more time to watch a variety of works,

Personally, there's nothing wrong with starting with the Ghibli collection of movies.

Neo C.

Precure All-Stars New stage 1 + 2 are actually pretty awesome, I'm surprised. The only thing which makes me cringe is the swing-the-bling-bling-thing to animate kids yelling for the Precures. Next Gintama movie should totally make a joke out of this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 50

f7MylmU.jpg

The other shoe drops.

Also, holy shit, now I need to watch everything over again AND I just learned the true context of
Naisho 13.

I'm not entirely and utterly sold on the rationale given. It's like I can easily understand and accept it, but it kind of hinges on a couple of critical points that weren't made clear along the way.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 51 END

Iq0VgIC.jpg

This episode had everything, from raw sentimentality to comedy to actual panic. This show will forever haunt Firehawk as the mono no aware he will never experience.

pZiWJ6I.jpg

I don't care if it came out a decade ago. This was my anime of the year. ;_;

Log Horizon 14
Some interesting revelations
World-level magic seems to be something like large update though I find it odd that for 20 years, they didn't have balance update or something like that. Continental spells and maybe National Guard spells may be normal expansion packs.And finally the kids are going to beat that dungeon

Defuser

Log Horizon ep 14

The lore of Elder Tale history is really interesting in terms on how it correlates to the real world in terms of game developments and the actions of players all the way from developing the game to beta testing now the actual game.

The author of this LN really put some creative thoughts in world building Log Horizon unlike a certain author who only panders.

Detective Conan 269:
You know things are serious when they're using the ending of an episode to focus on Conan flipping out about plot stuff rather than focusing on the case. All the wheels started turning for him once he heard about the stolen case files, and it leads to the realization of how badly he's being outplayed right now.

The actual case is fairly standard, although with some very nice moments. Haibara's scenes are always a delight, and even Megure was able to actually have a pretty good deduction, even if the details didn't line right up.

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah Log Horizon's world building is awesome. I hate waiting for new episodes :( Glad this show didn't go on winter break though.

NewFresh

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 49

HOaosScs.jpg

Now it's even more like K-ON S2.

ZzjQLDMs.jpg

It was clearly apparent just watching the first couple minutes, but this is the other episode directed by Mamoru Hosoda. This was one of the best episodes in the show, up with Sharp 40.

Thanks for giving me something to watch today. Was afraid I would have to watch something current!

https://twitter.com/mushishi_anime/status/419488675928354818

Mushishi's really getting a second season in April 2014. Holy shit!

Well, today just got a whole lot better.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 112 (engdub)
BdJXEssCQAAxXG_.png

Great episode with the persona blast, soul blast, break ride and more. Probably best duel of Link Joker yet and even with Morikawa being the leader of it. Excellent series thus far, especially with Solitary Liberator, Gancelot.

NewFresh

Doremi is a hard sell, and it took a long time before it got any traction at all. I legitimately loved this show, and any selling on my part comes from that.

I know. I have been interested in it a for a good while. I've watched it sporadically, but never committed to sitting down to watch the whole thing.
People would take bans over Kill Me Baby

If I watch the OP does that count for anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom