• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 01

Oh man. Oh man! This is pretty sweet. The CG isn't half bad at all.

I don't get the complaints for the CG in that show at all. Probably the best I've seen. Either that or the filth thrown in our faces in the Berserk movies dragged my standards way down.

Oh and don't expect another LoGH. This is an entirely different show but I love both.

duckroll

According to Japanese fans who watched Nagahama (the director) talk about Mushishi S2 on the Nico stream special an hour ago, the second season of Mushishi will be split-cours (so it'll air in April to June and October to December) and will cover all the remaining manga material, completing the series for good.

Narag

I don't get the complaints for the CG in that show at all. Probably the best I've seen. Either that or the filth thrown in our faces in the Berserk movies dragged my standards way down.

Oh and don't expect another LoGH. This is an entirely different show but I love both.

Think the complaint was the early physics of the CG, not so much the CG itself. Episode 1 was really bad in that regard.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
According to Japanese fans who watched Nagahama (the director) talk about Mushishi S2 on the Nico stream special an hour ago, the second season of Mushishi will be split-cours (so it'll air in April to June and October to December) and will cover all the remaining manga material, completing the series for good.

Amazing. I can't believe this is really happening.

I'm sure something will come up in March to delay the series from ever happening :(

Sweet. There's 24 unadapted manga chapters and Mushishi's adaptation pace has been a chapter per episode, so we can expect 12 episodes in spring and another 12 in fall.

Space Brothers 76:
Why don't you have a seat over there, Hibito?

I'm finding Hibito's character far more interesting now that there's some really drama going on in his life, and that he isn't just relentlessly perfect and energetic at all times. I liked the contrast between the Mr. Hibbit show and the 'real Hibito', which really showcased the differences between the myth and the actual person. HIbito's struggles at trying to regain his place in life are pretty captivating, and
seeing him flip out and melt down after only walking a few feet was a powerful moment. It really made that sense of weakness feel real (especially since we the viewers are trapped in his mind and can't actually see how far he's moved).
Like with Sharon's story, we're now solidly in the ground of things which normal people will encounter in their lives, even if not in this exact form.

Watching Olga trying to act grown up was also pretty hilarious.

Mortemis

Banned
Man, Spring 2014 just keeps on getting better and better. I just need sunrise to announce Gundam Origin coming spring and it'll be the best season in years.

It's already looking like that with Jojo and now Mushishi.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 14:

Ah yes, this series really does game simulation well, even the long and boring exposition parts that I tend to skip. Anyway, it is time for a few revelations and a shit ton of world building and I hope you are taking note because this will be on the test.
Yes, we get a lot of insights into this World Fraction spell that seems to be at the heart of the matter and we get yet another demonstration of why this show gets MMORPGS as it incorporates things like respawns, MP, HP, races and integrates it all rather seamlessly. Indeed these are not just game mechanics, they are guiding laws of the universe and these revelations are leading to new questions. It seems that Elder Tale has always been more then a game. Oh and unlike SAO, this show understands what time dilation is and uses it so we don't get stupid shit like 2 real world years trapped in the game. It seems the biggest revelation is that dying in the game does come at a price. If you die in the game your real memories die as well it what they are alleging. Anyway, over on the Kid Adventurer Funtime Hour, nothing happened expect well, keep your eyes peeled because they just tipped their hand about Rudy.
I will say that had this series finished in 2013 is would have been my AOTY.

Log Horizon Episode 14

I wanted more time with Rudy, Tohya, Minori and co as it seems that they are finally understanding areas they need to improve for questing. Would have really made the episode actually exciting if more time was given to them.

Other stuff was alright though did we really need a several minute explanation on respawning, hp, and mp?!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 14

I wanted more time with Rudy, Tohya, Minori and co as it seems that they are finally understanding areas they need to improve for questing. Would have really made the episode actually exciting if more time was given to them.

Other stuff was alright though did we really need a several minute explanation on respawning, hp, and mp?!

That actually rather worked for me, if only on a meta level, because that certainly reminded me of when games bore me with in-depth explanations about their mechanics and I can't fucking skip that shit.

fertygo

Gintama Movie 2

This is really good Gintama movie, the jokes are hilarious.. inside jokes everywhere, jab.. the story are also spectacular with some heavy emotional moment and twist.

I just wish they're more ambitious with the final act instead going with cheesy route with all noticeable cast working together ala generic shounen anime movie.. Its feel pretty forced too, would've preferred if its just the whole Yorozuya gang that involved in final act and a little bit more dramatic approach that Gintama usually have in ending of Major serious arc.

But overall its still really good,

Gazoinks

That actually rather worked for me, if only on a meta level, because that certainly reminded me of when games bore me with in-depth explanations about their mechanics and I can't fucking skip that shit.

Woah wait, Log Horizon didn't go on break? Awesome. Best glasses show continues to deliver.
No I have not watched Meganebu for comparison.

Dynedom

I really don't want to marathon this show but it's sogood.gif

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 02

Apart from some really awful planet CG, this show is wow. That
launch sequence
! The animation! The music! More dog-fighting and it is downright sexy. Even the
planet bomb's launch
looked spectacular. This show man. Did I mention that I like the character designs? I'm also hearing very retro-sounding music which sounds like it might be throwbacks to possible original theme music from the show. Love it.

I'm noticing the pacing seems a bit quick for certain events. Kodai and his partner being reprimanded is almost completely skimmed over (if this was a Gundam show, we'd have seen at least 3-4 slaps). The speed at which
the other countries mentioned the Yamato project staff were on their own before supplying power to the ship
was pretty fast too. I'm happy they didn't draw out the drama with
the launch though
. The first 2 episodes do seem like proper introductory episodes and actual character plot threads are only going to start in the next episode and beyond.

Lots of mysteries/stories to follow. Is that
the first Iscandrian emissary in that capsule/coffin? If so, why is she in there?
The female "accountant" is another one to look out for. I'm also wondering (going back to Kodai's first encounter with Yuki) if her apparent resemblance
to the dead Iscandrian on Mars
is coincidence. Makes me curious as to who she was
promising she would return to on her communicator before hastily closing it up

This show man!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Inocho Episode 1:

Right, that was so boring I would rather watch a Brady Bunch marathon instead and thus this is dropped like a purple-headed stepchild.

JoJo 20

2cmWfn2.jpg

I feel like after this ends I'm going to have to watch G Gundam. I hope it comes close in the hot-blooded manlyness department.

Firemind

Cautiously optimistic, since every returning, non-continuous series has had a shite budget (Minami-ke, Genshiken, Nodame, Natsume, Moyashimon etc.).

Silver Spoon 09

qHXUbdq.jpg

Hm... Unfortunate screenshot. It's Mikage on the left that says this, not Hachiken...

Back to school, and it's an episode mostly about Pork Bowl, and Hachikens doubts about turning him into food.

You're not allowed to have a red mohawk-ponytail at school? SMH

Yeah Log Horizon's world building is awesome. I hate waiting for new episodes :( Glad this show didn't go on winter break though.
Yup, some people will think its slow but im loving every minute of it.

Sad thing is though that by the end of the season it will probably be caught up to novels, thats going to suck.

Kansoku

WHOOP WHOOP ASS TO FAT - 11 and 12 + OVA
So it ended. I really, really enjoyed this. I don't know why people dislike it.
Episode 11 was more of a dramatic episode, and the lack of comedy made it a pretty heavy ep. Episode 12 fixed that and maintained a good balance. I imagined this would go the way it went.
It was obvious that her chuunibyo was more of a mechanism to cope with her father's death than because she's young and those things are cool. She became a very dull person, but I believe this was good. She accepted what happened, and even tough she went to be the EYE again. And the way things rolled out, makes me think that this is kinda Toradora! with fights.
The fights made Kyoukai no Kanata suck on a new level. Stuff here was way, way better than KnK fights.

As for the OVA, really good too. Nibutani is still the best.

You know, it's rather problematic when people feel the need to not go to gaming side, which was probably the primary reason why people even join in the first place. Instead of being able to embrace the main luxury, we apparently feel forced to live in a one topi c ghetto with all the other unwanted users of our own ilk.
I joined because the old game forum that I also didn't talk about games on was dying, and I saw that there was an active anime thread here. Weirder things have happened.
https://twitter.com/mushishi_anime/status/419488675928354818

Mushishi's really getting a second season in April 2014. Holy shit!
Fuck yes.
Robot Girls Z 01

This was quite good. Good animation, some fun skits. Some butts and actual SDBurton.
Best think Toei will do all year? Maybe we'll see.
I'm super interested now.

Recently, my sister is unusual 1

This season's incest show, except with an overload of :SDBurton and bathroom fetishes. Wow, this was pretty amazing in its depravity.

CorvoSol

Ugh, travel time guys. I have to leave my home and my family and travel back to school to finish out my year. At least I'm flying there this time and should be in about 1 AM Mountain time.

JoeFu

Banned
Yup, some people will think its slow but im loving every minute of it.

Sad thing is though that by the end of the season it will probably be caught up to novels, thats going to suck.

What? Already? How can there be so little? I checked the wiki and saw like 7 novels. How short are they each?

Ugh, travel time guys. I have to leave my home and my family and travel back to school to finish out my year. At least I'm flying there this time and should be in about 1 AM Mountain time.
You're flying? Know what else is in the sky? Birds. Sexy birds. You birdpervert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom