• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjimbo

Space Dandy 01

I posted this in the Toonami thread

Really weird. Just an hour ago I finished watching the Mushishi special which was spectacular in all the ways Mushishi can only be.

Space Dandy...I don't know what the fuck this was. This episode was trying really hard to be submersive from breaking the fourth wall to having a nonsensical plot and ending. The only things I'm sure about is that it's a beautifully animated show and the music is cool, but other than that, it was just plain ole awkward. That was my biggest fear heading into the show. Mushroom Samba is my least liked episode of Bebop, and when I heard that Watanabe wanted to strike that tone with this show, it killed my hype.

I might give the episode another shot because comedy is hard for me. I have to be in the proper mood to enjoy it and I'm not in any good mood when teams I like are losing playoff games. Fucking Eagles.

Mou Hitotsu no Mirai wo 1
It was interesting. kind of short so it leaves in a cliffhanger though hardly anything happened. The future telephone is interesting but I can't say this anime is good or bad yet. Though it seems to be leaning towards bad

wonzo

Banned
the use of the word filler to describe any episode of anything that doesn't directly advance the narrative of the series is honestly becoming more unbearable than spoiler culture.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
the use of the word filler to describe any episode of anything that doesn't directly advance the narrative of the series is honestly becoming more unbearable than spoiler culture.
What's worse is the word only applies to works that are ADAPTATIONS. Space Dandy isn't a adaptation.

Have you watched the Steins;Gate dub? EXCELLENT IMO.

I watched the first couple episodes of it back when Funi put them up on their YouTube for promotion of the first Blu-ray set out of curiosity (since I love the original). I didn't like it.

I really wanted to like it, too.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I watched the first couple episodes of it back when Funi put them up on their YouTube for promotion of the first Blu-ray set. I didn't like it.

I really wanted to like it, too.

I don't think a single person from ToonamiGAF watching it currently on the pre-show watchblock say anything but high praises for it.

Recently, I found out this shows sister is not blood related 1

What the hell is the point of watching this then?

Takes out all the fun of seeing the brother and sister try and restrain themselves now that they have no reason to.

And what was up with the ending?

That's like something that would only make sense if it was Kemeko DX and you switched the girls.

wonzo

Banned
What's worse is the word only applies to works that are ADAPTATIONS. Space Dandy isn't a adaptation.
Yeah, the other big problem is the idea that "filler" is inherently bad for an adaptation. The original HxH run is still worth watching for the bits and pieces they added to flesh out the characters some more, especially in the Hunter Exam arc.

Narag

drove me crazy when Gargantia aired and anything not alien related was deemed filler

yami4ct

Space Dandy 01

Man, that was both what I had hoped and what I feared the show would be. The first half, fan-service stuff was just terrible. I think maybe only 2-3 of the jokes from that segment hit their mark. Once it got going with the second half, though, it really hit all the goofy pulp sci-fi notes I wanted from it. Dandy's a really charming protagonist so far and the rest of the crew each seem to bring something fun to the table. The action animation and its choreography with the music was typical Watanabe brilliance. If the show develops from here and gets rid of most of the "Boobies" shit, it should turn out really fun. Luckily, none of that seems to show up on the "next on" preview, so we'll see. I'm hopeful.

Tenumi

Banned
I'm too biased with my like of dubs, so I'm not exactly a good call of what's good and bad.

Heck, I still want to watch Sailor Moon english dubbed again, but agains't my own want, I'll be watching it subbed.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I went on a tirade about this in the KLK thread and the SM announcement thread.

Stop maligning episodic stories! You guys love Mushishi so carry that over elsewhere.

I'm too biased with my like of dubs, so I'm not exactly a good call of what's good and bad.

Heck, I still want to watch Sailor Moon english dubbed again, but agains't my own want, I'll be watching it subbed.

I'll always love that original Sailor Moon dub. <3

Classics like Slayers and Ranma I felt had excellent dubs. I don't really watch anything else new dubbed.

Wondering if I should wait for subbed Dandy, or just watch the repeat tonight.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Cowboy Bebop 1

what the hell? This didn't explain anything, who is Bebop? It was just a bunch of gunfights and a car chase and some kind of spaceship fight against that drug addict. They introduce this guy as the villain but then they kill him off at the end of the episode??? Is every episode going to be like this? because I'm done if it is, what a waste of time making the 1st episode filler.

Yeah... I'll watch 2 more episodes of Dandy. If it remains the same then I'm going to do what duckroll did for Accel World.

How does that work when every second of every episode is sakuga?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Tenumi, Tenumi, Tenumi...

I know nostalgia is a powerful thing, but you don't know what you're missing if you're that reluctant.

Jarmel

Banned
Cowboy Bebop 1

what the hell? This didn't explain anything, who is Bebop? It was just a bunch of gunfights and a car chase and some kind of spaceship fight against that drug addict. They introduce this guy as the villain but then they kill him off at the end of the episode??? Is every episode going to be like this? because I'm done if it is, what a waste of time making the 1st episode filler.

Should have killed Bebop off.

DokiDoki Precure 46 Redux

liHPxZb.jpg

Redux spoilers

Redgina is back. Burger King is the Selfish King. The Selfish already existed before he did. Anne ripped out her heart and ripped it in half, creating Aguri and Regina. Go to the real world to wreck some shit with his daughter. And Ai is Ange's body

More context is given on what Regina and Aguri actually stands for.
Regina represents Ange's love for one person, while Aguri is for everyone else. Bel actually called Ange out as a hypocrite, because she doomed her kingdom by not killing the Selfish King solely because he is her father. Another way to put this. The Royal Family sacrifices their own people just to save the Royal family.
I'm not sure if I should give Bel/Doki props for actually doing that. Maybe. I mean shit.

Given what just happened though, I can't help but feel that this ending overall might end up being the worst ending in the franchise, mainly because
of just how Regina and Aguri acted. At the same time, it's rather funny considering how incomplete they feel, due to what they represent.
IT MAKES SENSE, because what they represent, and yet I can't help but feel that everyone is legitimately stupid.

Especially Aguri, considering DESPITE WHAT SHE LEARNED, she's like "fuck, might as well kill
my other half and my dad
"..... wait no...
they said it was impossible for Ange to come back. So she's dead-dead. I don't recall if they actually mention Ange in the spoilers, but only the King, but I do think Ange will come back.

Who knows. Maybe the ending will be meh because the build up kind of sucks honestly.

drove me crazy when Gargantia aired and anything not alien related was deemed filler

How?

Although I had a friend who was extremely pissed because it went all slice-of-life so suddenly. He didn't say it was filler, though; he just thought the show was ruined. He did eventually grow to like it, but I don't think it was until later when it got more serious.

yami4ct

I'm not a huge Dub guy but, honestly, I didn't think the Dandy dub was too bad at all. It wasn't great. "Meow"'s voice wasn't great, and some of the side-characters sounded really awkward, but I felt the little robot's voice worked decently well after I got used to it and the guy that did Dandy hit it out of the park. Sure, from what I've heard the Japanese voices will be preferable to me, but the dub isn't really all that horrible. Certainly perfectly watchable.

Gazoinks

For the New World 6

Wait wait wait wait
the Earth Spiders are shapeshifters? That seems... important.

Tensions high in this episode.
As it turns out, war sucks and power corrupts. Also trippy dream sequences were had and probably betrayal in the next episode. Sunshine and rainbows, basically.

wonzo

Banned
Cowboy Bebop 1

oh my god i read this in the voice of darksydephil. lmfao

Tenumi

Banned
Tenumi, Tenumi, Tenumi...

I know nostalgia is a powerful thing, but you don't know what you're missing if you're that reluctant.

Don't worry, I'm totally prepared for the sub watch. I've weighed my pros and cons. Too many pros to miss out on.

Plus, it'll be an entirely new experience for me.

I'm not a huge Dub guy but, honestly, I didn't think the Dandy dub was too bad at all. It wasn't great. "Meow"'s voice wasn't great, and some of the side-characters sounded really awkward, but I felt the little robot's voice worked decently well after I got used to it and the guy that did Dandy hit it out of the park. Sure, from what I've heard the Japanese voices will be preferable to me, but the dub isn't really all that horrible. Certainly perfectly watchable.

After you hear Junichi Suwabe's sex-voice for Dandy, the English VA for Dandy sounds like crap. No personality whatsoever.

Is there a place streaming Yamato?

No.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Don't worry, I'm totally prepared for the sub watch. I've weighed my pros and cons. Too many pros to miss out on.

Plus, it'll be an entirely new experience for me.
You don't know how painful it was growing up with internet access in the mid 90's and only having the original DiC dub run, knowing just what was cut, edited, and withheld but only having text synopsis to go on. :(

sonicmj1

Yeah, I think it's kinda flawed, but it's watchable. And there's always going to be some personality and kick in a decent dub that you'll almost never get in subtitles.

I honestly didn't notice or didn't care about whatever "auto-tune" people are talking about with the robot. He's a robot. Isn't that supposed to happen?

Yeah, I think it's kinda flawed, but it's watchable. And there's always going to be some personality and kick in a decent dub that you'll almost never get in subtitles.

I honestly didn't notice or didn't care about whatever "auto-tune" people are talking about with the robot. He's a robot. Isn't that supposed to happen?

QT's autotuned screaming was kind of embarrassing. It was like I was suddenly at some random pop concert.

yami4ct

After you hear Junichi Suwabe's sex-voice for Dandy, the English VA for Dandy sounds like crap. No personality whatsoever.

I've heard Suwabe's Dandy, and it's definitely better, but it's almost not even fair to compare them. Of course Sawabe did it better. His voice is perfect for the role. I wouldn't classify the english VA as having "zero" personality, just a different spin on the character. I think both fit well in different ways.

Yamato 2199 - 3

DAYUM.

That was one hell of an extermination! Though it appears that's not what the captain wanted. Um...haven't these aliens been slaughtering humanity for a while? Like, I know peace was your first move but it's pretty clear these guys want to completely wipe out life on Earth. What's with the lack of hatred towards the enemy? This is humanity's chance to make a comeback and he's scared of it. I'm assuming he doesn't want to see themselves as the same kind of monsters as the enemy, seeing that they've got a power to wipe out the universe and all that.

You know what this show reminds me of? You're probably gonna think I'm crazy, but this show reminds me of the third season of Sonic X. Yeah, the third season of the Sonic the Hedgehog anime was a space opera for those who don't know. It involved an evil alien race killing planets across the galaxy, Tails reveals that he had just so happened to have been working on a giant space ship, and Sonic and friends go off into space with a super-weapon of their own on the ship.

Just goes to show how little I was involved in space-opera anime to make that kind of comparison. -_-

madp

The Light of El Cantare
QT's autotuned screaming was kind of embarrassing. It was like I was suddenly at some random pop concert.

I actually thought that it was a funny use of autotuning precisely because it's totally incapable of reproducing the sound of a scream, but I can accept disliking it on principle.

There were parts where his dialogue legitimately had a melody as a result of Auto-Tune.

And I actually like Auto-Tune when used tastefully. Just not for speaking parts.

Yamato 2199 - 03
10 ... 9.... 8.... 7.... 6..... 5.... 4..... 3..... 2.......... 1........... So_good.gif

This stuff is legit good.

Entire episode was legit good.

Look like the ennemy is underestimating the yamato , but with these events , this probably won't be the case anymore. Kinda intrested to see how everything will deliver.

Last time i had so much sci-fi tech in my anime was with bodacious pirates. And that anime/franchise was already referencing at yamato already it seems

yami4ct

Better yet, I wonder if that'll have the OP/ED intact unlike the version they provided to adult swim.

They better. Has any Funi show had a cut OP online? I can't think of one. Only time I see them do that is the crap cut stuff they hand Toonami for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom