• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Space Dandy 1

The first half, set in the breastaurant, is not at all great, although there are a few good jokes, but the second half hits all the right notes and is exactly as advertised, living up to the hype of "Mushroom Samba every week." There are a couple problems with the dub(that autotune), but otherwise I think the voice acting and script is mostly good. Also, possibly the best ending of a first episode ever. LOL.

As this is a comedy show, it's almost certain to be very divisive.

Pretty good impression, with pictures too!

Jintor

I didn't like My Little Monster

I've never seen that show Hito mentioned though, so I'll look into it if I dont forget.

the male lead is basically a jackass, but he gets a bit better. a bit.

supporting cast and female lead are fantastic tho

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I read the very basic descriptions and it makes it seem like the romance is not with protag.

Should I watch it? I love cheesy romance. So if it has that I'm down.

Yeah, the protag is half of the romance, and it's largely lighthearted, absurd supernatural comedy occasionally punctuated by something poignant. Arashi is also pretty uncommon in that it's a romance with an assertive, masculine protagonist. He's short and ugly but makes up for it with the sheer force of his desire to be a TRUE MAN, which is one reason why I recommend it to romance fans even though the romance doesn't always dominate the show.

Natsume seiyuu get more roles plssssssss.

fuck :(

Syrinx

the male lead is basically a jackass, but he gets a bit better. a bit.

supporting cast and female lead are fantastic tho
I didn't like Natsume. She wouldn't shut up about how much the dude was turning her world upside down and how she was changing.

Note that I only watched the first two episodes.

Gazoinks

Space Dandy 1
ifMzkPel.jpg

This was exactly what I expected it to be, and I mean that in a good way: A goofy, light-hearted sci-fi comedy series with a cool pulpy tone. I'll echo what others were saying about the first half vs the second. The first half wasn't awful, but it was weaker; laid on the perverted humor and 4th-wall-breaking a bit too much. The second half hit all the right notes. It was fairly funny, fun, and looked good. Hopefully the series will continue more in that vibe.

Dub is solid, don't even mind the autotune. I'll watch sub and see which I prefer for the rest of the show.

Ironically, I think the negative impressions lowered my expectations enough that I ended up enjoying this more! xD Although I was only moderately hyped to begin with.

Nodame Cantabile Finale 00

pt9wiAUl.jpg

Ah, this is slowly reminding me about all the characters I used to like but forgotten about.

Nice episode reaffirming relationships between characters, as usual very nice music and all around fun. Going to be pretty interesting to see what direction the final season goes with these characters, since I have no clue.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
More Animegaffers need to join real-pic january. ;0

It was fun the first time around but it got weird with some people compiling the images and saving them for later.

Space Runaway Yamato 2199 4

The exposition and operation planning over action is getting tiring. Does this ever get balls to the wall crazy? Really don't have the attention span for what I've seen so far.

LordCanti

Space Dandy 01:

They got boned (no pun intended) by not getting the OP/ED music.

It was certainly....it was certainly nice to look at, yeah? Right?

ohgodanimeisntsavedwhatarewegoingtodoifitdoesntgetbetter

survivor

Banned
Yozakura Quartet 4

Huh, Hime is a human? I totally thought
her grandma was sent to the other dimension cause she was a demon. Or did she go there voluntarily to explore or some other reason?
Also that first half of the episode was very lewd

sonicmj1

Space Runaway Yamato 2199 4

The exposition and operation planning over action is getting tiring. Does this ever get balls to the wall crazy? Really don't have the attention span for what I've seen so far.

I want to tell you to stick it out to episode 6 and see what you think, but my gut tells me that this isn't going to be a crazy enough show for you.

Branduil

Sword Art Online 19

This really does have some of the worst writing of any television show in history. All of the conflicts are boring because Kirito just pulls new powers out of his ass that save the day, and all the political intrigue is duller than reading a history textbook. Oh no, random leader of group X betrayed group Y! Compelling stuff.

I want to tell you to stick it out to episode 6 and see what you think, but my gut tells me that this isn't going to be a crazy enough show for you.

I shall do that.

I don't want to sound stupid, but I do find the explanations to be too long-winded and complex to keep my attention. It probably didn't help that I watched the first 2 episodes when I was super tired, but my reaction to the show hasn't really changed while fully awake. At least I could understand that time being taken up by character development, but the focus is mostly on moving the plot forward via technobabble and preparation. I can't be satisfied seeing the villains get beat if my only impression of them are a few cryptic exchanges.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the art or designs with the exception of the ship itself and that iconic beard guy.

Thoraxes

Seitokai Yakuindomo* S2 - 01

It's her.

I heard it.

;___;

I've been waiting for this moment forever. We're reunited!

Hnnnggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Did Cosmic mean Space BATTLESHIP Yamato?

Are you comparing it to Ideon? That's a compliment!

I just like screwing around with show names. All I've seen of Ideon are the first 2 episodes and the movie, and I mostly just fast forwarded through that to see all the deaths. Was meh. Last time I listen to tvtropes.

Quasar

As far as romance animes go, i feel the one I've enjoyed the most recently is Golden Time. Or Toradora. Not popular recommendations, but so many anime fall victims to tropes that the former breaking away from them was enough of a relief to keep me watching. And the latter follows them all but dat melodrama kept me watching.

Not well loved by I Also liked Say I Love You.

Quasar

It's pretty great on my iPad Air.

yeah...its been pretty fine on iOS generally ime. Or at least iPad and AppleTV. And as I've said for me at least its been fine on PS3/4. Its also worked ok for me on my Nexus4 but really I've not used it much because its a tiny screen. But I assume that means its fine on android tablets.

Kieli

Hunter x Hunter - 110

I want Madhouse to be as faithful to the original experience of reading Hunter x Hunter as possible.

To fulfil this, I believe that episode 111 needs to be delayed for 1 year and 8 months.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Space Dandy Episode 1:

Yea, the first ten minutes sucked both in English and Japanese but after that the show just went full bore Gurren Lagan insanity and it was wonderful. The dub was the usual solid Funimation fare and if you think that was bad, you should have listened to yet another episode of Bleach dubbed by a cast that long ago stopped giving a shit.

mAcOdIn

Since we're talking about Crunchyroll romances, this is your periodic reminder that anyone who liked Dusk Maiden of Amnesia should watch Natsu no Arashi. Same director, same kind of supernatural romance that skillfully balances comedy and drama!
While I really like Natsu no Arashi calling it a romance is pretty misleading, it's no more a romance show than any action, drama or other comedy show is that has a mixed cast.
But it's a funny show and Omigawa's second best character so everyone should watch it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hunter x Hunter - 110

I want Madhouse to be as faithful to the original experience of reading Hunter x Hunter as possible.

To fulfil this, I believe that episode 111 needs to be delayed for 1 year and 8 months.
I like the way you think.

Jintor

Sword Art Online 19

This really does have some of the worst writing of any television show in history. All of the conflicts are boring because Kirito just pulls new powers out of his ass that save the day, and all the political intrigue is duller than reading a history textbook. Oh no, random leader of group X betrayed group Y! Compelling stuff.

EVE Online anime plz

Theonik

Sadly, this is how things often go around here:

Hapless Viewer: "Man, that fire over there is blazing hot!"

AnimeGAF: "I'd better go stick my hand in there to see just how hot it actually is!"
This is the way of science after all.

Is Kuroko a good basketball anime? Like does it have anything for a basketball fan or is it some basketball team drama stuff.

Edit: just realized how awful my question was, but like I dunno.

Here's a better question I guess. How does it compare to Slam Dunk
Even RKB has better basketball than Kuruko and you DON'T want to watch RKB.

MOTHERFUCKER
After I actually found the picture for him too. Cuts like a knife man.

Yamato 2199 - 01
Ps:
i know that you ned to act fast , but who take a craft like this without checking if it's armed ... ?
Because they are dumb.

Yamato 2199 - 3

DAYUM.

That was one hell of an extermination! Though it appears that's not what the captain wanted. Um...haven't these aliens been slaughtering humanity for a while? Like, I know peace was your first move but it's pretty clear these guys want to completely wipe out life on Earth. What's with the lack of hatred towards the enemy? This is humanity's chance to make a comeback and he's scared of it. I'm assuming he doesn't want to see themselves as the same kind of monsters as the enemy, seeing that they've got a power to wipe out the universe and all that.
The Yamato is simply meant as a means to cross the Galaxy into Iskandar to save earth. Not as a machine of war to turn the odds on Garmillas. This is an important thematic point especially later on.

I'm kind of at the point where I can't handle English dubs in general because I can't unhear when VAs meter the length and alternate the inflection of every syllable to precisely match lip flap. Dub dialogue has a stilted and unnatural rhythm that takes me out of what I'm watching; it's nothing endemic only to Space Dandy.
Unfortunately there is no way around this other than re-animating parts of the anime to get sync to work.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
While I really like Natsu no Arashi calling it a romance is pretty misleading, it's no more a romance show than any action, drama or other comedy show is that has a mixed cast.
But it's a funny show and Omigawa's second best character so everyone should watch it.

I know I'm risking a semantic argument on what defines romance here, but Hajime is actively courting Sayoko for the entirety of the show. It's largely a one-sided romance, but one character having feelings for another is a consistent narrative current that bears actual consequence.

So theres a AnimeGAF and a MangaGAF, is there a LNGaf? and if not where should such discussions take place?

Well AnimeGAF and MangaGAF are the same, because we don't read. So LNGaf doesn't exist because it requires reading.

Actually I don't think there is one because LNs don't actually exist in a KirbYayoi World.
Ojamajo Doremi 16 would've been animated instead

Branduil

So theres a AnimeGAF and a MangaGAF, is there a LNGAF? and if not where should such discussions take place?

Timely English versions of light novels tend to be much less readily available than in those other two mediums, so I expect that's a major reason why there's no LN thread.

mAcOdIn

MOTHERFUCKER
Oh cool, is there an sprite Spoor or Empress?
I know I'm risking a semantic argument on what defines romance here, but Hajime is actively courting Sayoko for the entirety of the show. It's largely a one-sided romance, but one character having feelings for another is a consistent narrative current that bears actual consequence.
You're not wrong but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom