• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Space Dandy 01

This might take my 'frenetic, stupid, amazing' anime award away from KLK. Jesus christ, that was awesome.

Space Dandy 1

Boring as hell 1st half, although I enjoy the word Breasturants. Second half was Sakuga.

AND THE OP DIED FOR TOONAMI'S SINS!

Space Dandy 01

First half with the boobie jokes went on too long, second half was ace though, hilarious and fantastic.

Dub was also fantastic, you dub haters need to accept you just don't like dubs and don't rate what you can't judge clearly

Tenumi

Banned
Space Dandy: 01

Ridiculousness at it's finest. Awesome.

Funi's Dub was good. Narrator was great.

I can't wait for more.

Gazoinks

From the New World 5

This episode was a bit dumb, because a bunch of conflicts happened due to people tripping. Seriously. The animation also seemed different.

The actual content of the episode was good. Dark and mysterious as usual, but
learning about the society of the Monster Rats. Wonder if we'll learn why this guy can speak Japanese even better than the rats in the town.

Also,
the people in the Crunchyroll comments completely missing the point about the sexual scene in this episode.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Space Dandy 1 DUB

That was like... 75% fucking bad and 25% fucking amazing. The animation, colors, and the lighthearted tone is fucking killer and a great way to captivate the audience. The fanservice and the dumb poking fun of itself is stupid and they should drop that immediately. It's so immensely bad that I lose all respect for that kind of crap.

Crocodile

Space Dandy 1

First half a tiny bit slow but otherwise AOTY 2014. Every other show can pack it up, its unlikely to get better than this :)

Space Dandy 1:
It was over the top and ridiculous while looking amazing. Honestly, all I can truthfully right now is 'that sure was a show'. Everything else will have to wait and see where the show actually winds up going.

Space Dandy - 1 (DUB)

PLTZJRh.gif

I can't imagine the first half being any better in Japanese. I found it kinda hard to pay attention after rolling my eyes at all the idiotic boob jokes. The second half looked pretty cool, I guess.

I'm gonna have to wait for the sub to see if it's actually any good. I'm setting my expectations extremely low, however.

Dresden

From the New World 5

This episode was a bit dumb, because a bunch of conflicts happened due to people tripping. Seriously. The animation also seemed different.

Shigeyasu Yamauchi directed the episode, and he handles episode ten as well, so expect a similar shift in style for that one too. But 10 is far better executed.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Space Dandy #1

I thought the first half of the episode was ruined by the dub. I totally get the immature tone they were aiming for in the opening with all the sexual jokes, but it totally wasn't delivered well.

Second half was visually spectacular though. SO MUCH AWESOME SAKUGA! AND OMG THE STAFF LIST!

Going have to watch this subtitled to give a proper opinion.;p

Space Dandy - 1 (DUB)

PLTZJRh.gif

I can't imagine the first half being any better in Japanese. I found it kinda hard to pay attention after rolling my eyes at all the idiotic boob jokes. The second half looked pretty cool, I guess.

I'm gonna have to wait for the sub to see if it's actually any good. I'm setting my expectations extremely low, however.

The first half isn't any better in Japanese. I just saved you effort and time.

Gazoinks

The conflicting reactions to Space Dandy are making my night. Thank you one and all.

Seriously!

Also, I wouldn't count on the fanservice going anywhere considering it made up like 60% of the PVs.

Shigeyasu Yamauchi directed the episode, and he handles episode ten as well, so expect a similar shift in style for that one too. But 10 is far better executed.

Ah, that 'splains it. I like bringing in guest directors, but I wish people'd pay more attention to style shifts, it's jarring in shows that need to feel consistent. See also: that episode of TTGL.

Also,
the people in the Crunchyroll comments completely missing the point about the sexual scene in this episode.

As you continue watching From the New World (which you absolutely should; it's probably going to be my anime of the year for this year), you should ignore Crunchyroll comments at all costs. There will be one episode in particular which will just result in hair ripping and a desire to wipe Crunchyroll commentors off the face of the earth.

Branduil

From the New World 5

The actual content of the episode was good. Dark and mysterious as usual, but
learning about the society of the Monster Rats. Wonder if we'll learn why this guy can speak Japanese even better than the rats in the town.

Also,

Regarding your last comment: the problem with the show is that it's too good for anime fans to appreciate.

FluxWaveZ

I like it because I always have soft spot with battle shounen with good production value, but yeah its very shallow.

Watch Yozakura Quartet -Hana no Uta- for something similar that actually have likable character and plot.

You must stomach some excessive fanservice though lol

Thanks for the suggestion, though looking into it a bit I'm not sure I'd be into this either.

I've only seen what's been shown on Toonami (I hear the ending is meh but I wouldn't know yet) but what I liked: GREAT cast, humor that works more often than not (Blair is pretty meh-tastic but that are some good bits and comedy episodes strewn throughout the show), great music, great animation and one of the best female villains I've ever seen in anime. Like its not perfect but if you're one who likes shonen, I have no idea why you wouldn't like this. Different strokes for different folks I guess *shrug*

Well, I won't get into everything that turned me off Soul Eater, but one of the main things I look for are compelling characters and/or story. Soul Eater had neither. The humor was absolutely not something that appealed to me, Black Star and Death the Kid being the primary candidates for moments where I wanted to end myself for how awful they were. The character designs are mostly cool and the overall show is stylish, but I cared about absolutely none of the characters except for maybe Maka and Soul.

I like shounen, recently Hunter X Hunter, FMA Brotherhood and Attack on Titan, but I could not stand this.

Space Dandy - Episode 1

The initial deluge of boobs and ass was a bit much for me, but I started enjoying the episode more as it got away from that. It was nonsense from beginning to end, which I suppose is the anime's strength and perhaps its weakness. It was really pretty, though, and that ending was amazing.

Jarmel

Banned
Space Dandy-1

First half was kinda boring. 2nd half is amazing. There are so many scifi jokes in this. We got a Toy Story, Bond, Eva, and Star Trek joke all in one episode. The show also pretty much breaks every narrative rule on what a first episode should be like and loves to break the 4th wall.

The show doesn't take itself even remotely serious.

Gazoinks

As you continue watching From the New World (which you absolutely should; it's probably going to be my anime of the year for this year), you should ignore Crunchyroll comments at all costs. There will be one episode in particular which will just result in hair ripping and a desire to wipe Crunchyroll commentors off the face of the earth.

It holds the same kind of morbid appeal as looking at Youtube comments, I just can't stop myself! D:

But yeah, I'm definitely going to continue, I really like it so far.

Those shots were pretty much all from the first episode.

Sure, but it still sets something of a precedent.

Yamato 2199 - 02

There is this old school feelign that is very strong in this show. but i like it ..we have a very clear countdown and that crew ..that crew ... so many plots and sub plot to be seen ..this journey is not going to be a calm one.

So far so good.if anything , yamato 2199 has a strong start.

Tenumi

Banned
It's so awesome, a show not taking itself seriously. I know it's a foreign concept for Anime, so not many anime watchers are gonna realize it.

People are saying the Dub was bad? Really guys? Auto-tuning on QT was a but much but otherwise it sounded great to me.

I don't know what it is with the way Funi does things, but I just don't like the way they do things. I haven't liked any of their more recent dubs at all.

Quasar

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 2

This is really good so far, I love these type of anime that just introduce tons of characters and just shows around their interactions. I'm a bit lost over some things like why Hime is the mayor or why they keep talking about protecting the city so much or some of the characters powers. Not sure if it they will explain it later or just not gonna bother.

I was pretty impressed with the shows ability to have such a big cast and give everyone a decent amount of spotlight.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's so awesome, a show not taking itself seriously. I know it's a foreign concept for Anime, so not many anime watchers are gonna realize it.
i can't even tell if these kinds of posts are serious.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Space Dandy 1

Smoking hot sakuga, but the humor was terribly basic slapstick and perv fare that lacked in wit and consequently I don't really feel like the direction was particularly strong. Dandy lacks the magnetism to support the material and there was no immediate chemistry with his sidekicks, who are basically there to tsukkomi his boke. I partially attribute that to the ill-fitting dub and the fact that I already saw half of the episode in trailers, so I'm not in panic mode. The PV for episode two already lends a more cohesive impression.

kayos90

Space Dandy 1

Smoking hot sakuga, but the humor was terribly basic slapstick and perv fare that lacked in wit and consequently I don't really feel like the direction was particularly strong. I partially attribute that to the ill-fitting dub and the fact that I already saw half of the episode in trailers, so I'm not in panic mode. The PV for episode two already lends a more cohesive impression.

I'm interested in what people think of the subbed version because I found the subbed version equally unappealing.

Gintama takes itself about as seriously as Space Dandy does, and manages to break the fourth wall a lot more gracefully as well.

Is there a name for anime tropes like over reacting to simple situation or right as someone is about to say or reveal something important like there are classifications for types of anime? Same thing with the glass fixing obsession.

I'm going through blue exorcist right now and the main characters irrational hotheadedness cliche is starting to get on my nerves.

Anyway, I'm a crunchroll subscriber now. I'm open to try anything. What are the must watches?

I've already seen SAO (I didn't know it was so hated!) Kill LA kill, and beyond the boundary (such a beautiful show). Box arts are not selling me in anything yet as I don't know if BE will hold me much longer.

kayos90

I actually think that Space Dandy is very fitting for a block like Adult Swim. At least the type of show it is airing is consistent.

sonicmj1

Space Dandy 1 (Dub)

Crazy good animation. Awesome soundtrack. But the first half fell really flat, and I'm not sure how I feel about the dub. Pretty friggin' crazy, but it might be too crazy.

I'm on board for more, but I hope this doesn't lose me completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom