• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm kind of at the point where I can't handle English dubs in general because I can't unhear when VAs meter the length and alternate the inflection of every syllable to precisely match lip flap. Dub dialogue has a stilted and unnatural rhythm that takes me out of what I'm watching; it's nothing endemic only to Space Dandy.

Joe Molotov

Space Dandy 01

Holy fuck that was awful. Honestly the most disappointing first episode I have ever watched in my life and I've spent over 160 actual days of my life watching anime. May be Watanabe's best work.

Log Horizon 14

DAT WORLD AND MAGIC BUILDING. Jesus christ I was glued to my screen during the Shiroe scenes. The animation seemed a bit off/stiff, but I didn't mind. Again the pacing zoomed by. As always the random cute scenes really helped even out the seriousness.

Next episode preview makes it seem like it'll largely revolve around the dungeon crawling aspect of the show. I don't necessarily mind, but I'm watching this show almost exclusively for how much I love Shiroe. So hopefully there's a decent amount of him.

wonzo

Banned
someone spoil it for me.

does mushishi goes into I wanna fuck my imouto for the rest of manga?

you never know in japan.
stop it
snoop.png

Gazoinks

Log Horizon 14

DAT WORLD AND MAGIC BUILDING. Jesus christ I was glued to my screen during the Shiroe scenes. The animation seemed a bit off/stiff, but I didn't mind. Again the pacing zoomed by. As always the random cute scenes really helped even out the seriousness.

Next episode preview makes it seem like it'll largely revolve around the dungeon crawling aspect of the show. I don't necessarily mind, but I'm watching this show almost exclusively for how much I love Shiroe. So hopefully there's a decent amount of him.

I really loved the way they worked in often forgotten game mechanics into the world in this episode.
Day/night cycles!

Branduil

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 7

iOuo7HvSPQ1wV.jpg
i6ymOgpNYklf7.jpg

In space, no one can hear your sexual harassment complaints.

That was a nice way to add some characterization for the other crew members. Also, they apparently decided that the female crew members and only the female crew members wearing skintight uniforms at all times wasn't enough fanservice so they added more in this episode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 7
That was a nice way to add some characterization for the other crew members. Also, they apparently decided that the female crew members and only the female crew members wearing skintight uniforms at all times wasn't enough fanservice so they added more in this episode.
Guy suits are pretty tight too. You definitely see some butt on the main character.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Space Dandy 01

Holy fuck that was awful. Honestly the most disappointing first episode I have ever watched in my life and I've spent over 160 actual days of my life watching anime. May be Watanabe's best work.

The two are not mutually exclusive!

Actually unfortunately for me I really like Watanabe. I enjoyed Bebop and Champloo is one of my favorite shows ever. This episode was worse than any single episode in both of those shows. I might watch some more if only because I'm a glutton for punishment but I'm definitely not looking forward to it at this point .

Cowboy Bebop 1

what the hell? This didn't explain anything, who is Bebop? It was just a bunch of gunfights and a car chase and some kind of spaceship fight against that drug addict. They introduce this guy as the villain but then they kill him off at the end of the episode??? Is every episode going to be like this? because I'm done if it is, what a waste of time making the 1st episode filler.

I can't express how much I love this comment in words. So instead I'll say I love this comment a lot lot lot. Great way to bring down 1st episode downers.

First ep of Space Dandy had a dull first half and an awesome last 10 mins. I'd say sub was better but they're both decent aside from auto-tune for the english robot.

also OP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4VIiVSiioo

and ED http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4pMJ8nMkZ4

for those that watched on Toonami

Me thinks I'm going to be getting the Space Dandy soundtrack if the quality continues similarly to other Watanabe shows.

I really loved the way they worked in often forgotten game mechanics into the world in this episode.
Day/night cycles!

Not to mention
enemy respawns and how the adventurers are introduced
. Jesus I feel like the more I watch this show the more it becomes my favorite anime of last fall. The LN author knows his shit and blended game mechanics into a realistic fashion for a fantasy setting. I applaud him for that.

Meanwhile in Sword Art Online, Kirito is being asked for help by the Japanese FBI to save the world with his 1337 skills of amazing reaction times and Gary Stu syndrome.

And I'll hate myself because ill probs watch the new season.

Did you consider my tastes or did you just suggest something you like? Because just looking at the preview image, with the chain and shit speaks nothing to my tastes mentioned in that post.

Don't put a lot of stock into that. If you enjoyed Kare Kano, it's definitely worth checking out My Little Monster. It's a really good show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Did you consider my tastes or did you just suggest something you like? Because just looking at the preview image, with the chain and shit speaks nothing to my tastes mentioned in that post.

Chain not present in the actual show. It's just a promotional image that symbolizes how "wild" the main guy is; otherwise it's just a shoujo romance. No depravity, but if you want down-to-earth romance, some of the characters aren't exactly believable.

Vecks

What's a good romance anime on CR for a former Kare Kano, Marmalade Boy, Kimagure Orange Road fan?

Hmm, I can't really remember much about those shows (it's been a long time since I've seen those). But the only ones I'd consider fairly normal romance shows would be Golden Time and Tora Dora. Maybe... skip beat if you don't mind a shoujo.

Did you bother reading the handy dandy synopsis that's literally below said images.

Or hell, read the reviews that's handy dandy in a link just below the synopsis?

Or did you just decide it wasn't for you because of course the only thing you can do is quick judge something.

cnet128

Banned
Neppuu Kairiku Bushiroad

So that was a thing. I dunno, I quite enjoyed it overall but for some reason the ending just felt really rushed and weak to me and that left me with rather mixed feelings on the movie (movie?) as a whole.

Ame and Yuki Suou were decent enough protagonists, with Ame being quite the badass determinator action girl in a mech but also rather prone to losing her way (DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY
...well, she kind of stopped losing her way around the point where she found out who killed her dad, appropriately enough...
) and Suou being the "wild", rather impulsive one who was pretty cool to watch doing his crazy acrobatics and stuff (gotta love characters who can fight without mechs in a mech-dominated world). They had a fair amount of chemistry together - I mean, they were no Tada Banri and Kouko or anything, but there was a certain resonance in the way these two lonely, tormented souls bonded and came to trust and rely on each other.

Then there was Shin, who kept on reminding me of Sinbad from Magi. I mean, they're both called Shin, both voiced by Ono Daisuke doing exactly the same voice, both royalty of a kingdom foreign to the main characters of their respective stories but on which they come to rely somewhat despite never quite seeing eye-to-eye, both radiate confidence and authority, and both have great ambitions to change the world. The only real difference is that Shin is only heir to the throne, not actually on the throne, and that he doesn't have any of Sinbad's humorous layabout/womanising side to his character.

So, a few things I liked about Bushiroad: firstly, Ame and Yuki Suou's eyes, because sky blue and grass green are cool colours and looked really distinctive without being too weird. Then there was the rather Valvrave-esque "
this arcane mech is going to stab you in the throat and do its best impression of killing you before entering into a freakish symbiotic relationship
" thing, and for that matter the
Gigaroad's "true form" once it fused with both Ame and Yuki Suou, which looked pretty cool with its flaming cloak
. Also any scene that involved Suou fighting on foot, which there were not quite enough of. Also the creepy tentacle-hand things that
evil Shinobi mode Tsukiyomi
used just looked really cool sometimes for some reason. Oh, and loli Ame at the beginning, lol. And speaking of lolis, the whole "gotta save the adorable sacrifice girl" thing at the beginning was quite nicely done, if not terribly original (I liked how Ame
left that parting threat that she'd be back later to check the girl was still alive, though it did occur to me that the villagers might just go "oh well, let's sacrifice someone else instead, she can't remember everyone"...
)

Things I didn't like so much about Bushiroad: most of the climactic battle, which felt like it
shifted too quickly from "AHAHAHAHA I AM EVIL MASTERMIND ALL OF THIS IS JUST AS PLANNED AND NOW MY SHINOBI WILL DESTROY ALL HUMANS" to "FUCK HOW ARE THEY SO POWERF--boom now the movie is over and people are in space or something"
, and also contained an awful lot of SHOUTING BACK AND FORTH ABOUT IDEALS which felt super generic and frankly pretty pointless when
they were up against a guy who was so far gone he literally wanted to wipe out the entire human race
. Also the plot thread with
the evil King of Shin's country
didn't seem to lead to much of anything, unless it did and I just wasn't paying enough attention.

And just for the heck of it, things I was pretty indifferent about in Bushiroad: Sanda (Thunder?) as a character (I definitely didn't
care about him to be affected much by his HEROIC DEATH SCENE
, though I guess he was kind of cool when he was playing the wise master to Suou). Also the girls who were travelling with Ame, who didn't seem to do much of note at all. They were kind of maybe vaguely cute sometimes I guess. Oh, and I didn't really care one way or another about the CG. The mechs were functional, they didn't look particularly amazing for the most part, but they didn't look bad either. They were just kind of there.

Overall rating: Decent watch/10, worth checking out but not something I'll probably remember much about in the long term.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
haha, Love Live is under the romance column on CR for some reason. Someone's been looking at too much Nico x Maki art.

survivor

Banned

Yes, it's a well animated shoujo in the vein of Kare Kano. There are no physical chains in the show.

Wandering Son is the obvious choice. Dusk Maiden the less obvious one.

You know I watched Dusk Maiden as a random 2spooky watch and ended up really loving the romance aspect.. as 2anime4me as it was. It was sweet and balanced out by the mystery spooky plot.

As far as romance animes go, i feel the one I've enjoyed the most recently is Golden Time. Or Toradora. Not popular recommendations, but so many anime fall victims to tropes that the former breaking away from them was enough of a relief to keep me watching. And the latter follows them all but dat melodrama kept me watching.

Jintor

Tonari is a glorious shoujo hampered only by the fact it ends really abruptly cos it only uses up half the manga

cnet128

Banned
Tonari is a glorious shoujo hampered only by the fact it ends really abruptly cos it only uses up half the manga

Seriously, forget this Mushi-shi thing that everyone's going on about, that shit should be cancelled and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun should get a second season instead. The world needs more Natsume!

Mushi-shi is probably really good idk please don't kill me

Fools, Golden Boy is clearly the best romance.

And the best edutainment!

i could never get into it for some reason. is the dub really that good?

I see Toradora recommended in here far more often than not.

All right. That's good. Because I read many loving it, but I've assumed that melodrama is not popular with animeGAF by now. Unless it's ironic.

Though then again WA2 seems to be decently liked by those that watched it. Maybe I'm just assuming too much.

Branduil

Space Dandy 1

The first half, set in the breastaurant, is not at all great, although there are a few good jokes, but the second half hits all the right notes and is exactly as advertised, living up to the hype of "Mushroom Samba every week." There are a couple problems with the dub(that autotune), but otherwise I think the voice acting and script is mostly good. Also, possibly the best ending of a first episode ever. LOL.

As this is a comedy show, it's almost certain to be very divisive.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Since we're talking about Crunchyroll romances, this is your periodic reminder that anyone who liked Dusk Maiden of Amnesia should watch Natsu no Arashi. Same director, same kind of supernatural romance that skillfully balances comedy and drama!

Mature

Space Dandy 1

The first half, set in the breastaurant, is not at all great, although there are a few good jokes, but the second half hits all the right notes and is exactly as advertised, living up to the hype of "Mushroom Samba every week." There are a couple problems with the dub(that autotune), but otherwise I think the voice acting and script is mostly good. Also, possibly the best ending of a first episode ever. LOL.

As this is a comedy show, it's almost certain to be very divisive.
Review doesn't contain enough hyperbole.

1/10

cnet128

Banned
Fools, Golden Boy is clearly the best romance.

And the best edutainment!

I think what needs to happen is, everyone should recommend Golden Time when they mean Golden Boy and Golden Boy when they mean Golden Time. Some poor soul is going to get them mixed up eventually with hilarious consequences, so we might as well actively encourage it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Since we're talking about Crunchyroll romances, this is your periodic reminder that anyone who liked Dusk Maiden of Amnesia should watch Natsu no Arashi. Same director, same kind of supernatural romance that skillfully balances comedy and drama!

I had no idea.

I really loved Dusk Maiden.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Log Horizon Episode 12

Man this is reminding me too much of playing with shitty groups in Vanilla WoW

Log Horizon Episode 13

Since when did this become a hentai? Fucking Crusty.

Log Horizon Episode 14

I still don't trust that Elf Mage.

I read the very basic descriptions and it makes it seem like the romance is not with protag.

Should I watch it? I love cheesy romance. So if it has that I'm down.

It's been a few years yet the Natsu no Arashi OP manages to crawl into my mind more often than expected. I guess I should get around to S2 some time.

Syrinx

I didn't like My Little Monster

I've never seen that show Hito mentioned though, so I'll look into it if I dont forget.

Thoraxes

Recently, My Sister is Unusual - 01

This show's subject matter is relevant to my interests.

Except the chastity belt is pretty fucking weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom