• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space dandy - 01

I was expecting something ....

I just wasn't expecting that.

I'm intrested on where they will go from here, but i had no idea they would follow this route

Somewhat intrested.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Whatever, what matters the most here is that EVERYONE wears scarves and they all look nice, if you like scarves you should watch this because it has scarves and I'm watching this for now because it has SCARVES.

Hell YES!

I love scarves. Living in Florida I barely get the chance to wear scarves outside of like a 2 week window in the entire year. I've always wanted an anime that took its scarves seriously.

Flowers of Evil 3:
So another episode of Kasuga dealing with all sorts of shit, and some really disturbing moments and a general sense of awkwardness, I can deal with this and then oh my god, what just happened at the halfway mark? I think I need an adult.
Seriously, that whole scene was so disturbing, and it was directed so perfectly. Seeing Kasuga's clothes get torn off was just completely shocking; I almost thought he was going to get raped there. The end result was perhaps effectively just as traumatizing for him, though. There's a complete sense of powerlessness for him there, and he's being violated both emotionally and physically with the gym clothes being forced on him.
That whole sequence was one of the most shocking and disturbing scenes I've seen in quite some time.

The end of this episode was also further proof in general that middle school students are the worst human beings in the world.
Seriously, fuck all of that pack bullshit and the way that anyone who sticks out gets targeted immediately and made fun of for any little thing.
More than a few bad memories of my own middle school experience were cropping up there.

Flowers of Evil is pretty relatable to anyone who's had a shitty school experience, I think. Certainly I was able to relate to Kasuga's isolation, self-absorption, and guilt.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Tonari no Seki-kun 1

Had to watch this since everybody else was praising it, and praise-worthy it is indeed. The two leads have fantastic chemistry, and I especially love the male lead. Such a badass clown.
Quoted because these area exact thoughts. Everyone talking about it fine... I'll watch. Best 7 minutes I've had all week. Absolutely incredible.

Quasar

Whatever, what matters the most here is that EVERYONE wears scarves and they all look nice, if you like scarves you should watch this because it has scarves and I'm watching this for now because it has SCARVES.

Should watch Yozakura Quartet. Epic scarf in that.

CorvoSol

Let me preface this by saying that Char is one of my favorite anime characters, but..

Haman was young when Char was on Axis after the OYW. There's no sign of him having any feelings for her after that (unless I'm just forgetting). Lalah was about that age, as was Quess in the CCA movie. He never really cared for
Reccoa
anyway from what I remember.
[/spoiler]

Quess doesn't count for shit. Char wasn't attracted to her and I will never accept anyone who says he was. He was using her because in CCA Char is the leader of the Zeon, making him a dumbass space villain by default. CCA butchers Char. BUTCHERS.

Okay, so I'm trying to get into a Gundam franchise, and I kinda like the opening to G Gundam, so I look up the video with the full version.

And THIS, is the first comment I see.

Coming from reading Corvo's reactions, this is hilarious.

Oh dude come on. I'll let them claim Wing and Zeta, they're dead wrong, but I'll let them claim those. AGE and fucking Victory, though? No, no, and no.

G has itself a consistent plot that only slows down like, twice. I remember loving Wing's, but it's been a few years now so I can't be full on objective on that. Zeta . . . I believe I've said it before, but the entire middle of Zeta sucks (just like the first half of ZZ. Between the two of them you have 1 great show.)

AGE is Nazi pedophile propaganda and I will NOT listen to arguments to the contrary. I hate that show so much that I don't even go near Level 5 products if I can help it.
Liberassion Maiden not withstanding.

Victory is 40 episodes of Uso whine screaming while the Zanscare sit around throwing wheels and guillotines at people as if they'll work. There's some vague bullshit about feminism except it's a bunch of dudes running the show in the Zanscare. Honestly the show sort of seems to have a not so thinly veiled hatred for women, since the bad guys are feminists, the heroic women are all butchered in stupid, violent ways, and Katejina is in this show. Victory is the only Gundam so absolutely terrible in every way I quit and did not go back. I HATE 00's 2nd Season, I quit that thing part way through, and I came back and I finished the job. Victory I don't mind never, ever picking up ever again.

Victory and AGE better than G. HA. HA.

People shouldn't joke about Victory Gundam. It is the only anime I have dropped out of pure hatred and certainty in that watching it will actually make me braindead.

I hope Corvo posted his hubba bubba designs in this thread as well. That was the eclipse of Victory Gundam for me. I will always remember episode 32 or whatever it was.

Oh, on the design front I will grant that Wing and Zeta are inarguably better than G. The Wing Zero Custom and Zeta Gundam are probably my favorite Gundam designs. But Victory and AGE have shit like this:

vdamDQT.jpg
JhmwK7S.png

Tonari no seki-kun - 01

Looooool

This boy has way too much time on his hands , i was playing tetris during classes , not playing dominos.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Flowers of Evil is pretty relatable to anyone who's had a shitty school experience, I think. Certainly I was able to relate to Kasuga's isolation, self-absorption, and guilt.
Kasuga's obsession with his own self-image is something I can certainly relate to it, as I was quite obsessed with it during my own teenage years.. as you can probably see in how I am today.. I don't give a fuck about that kind of silly stuff anymore. ;p

Nobunaga ZA Fool 01

D0d5SXLl.jpg

People always said Ranmaru always looked too girly and I guess they decided to literally just run with that.

Pretty enjoyable. This is basically being a Warriors Orochi game with added mecha. Will keep watching if they up the crazy.

minty_jpg

Space Dandy 1

...I'm not watching this anymore. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this was horrible.

Noramai 1

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this show. I went into it thinking I was going to hate it, but nope, good stuff. Looking forward to the next episode. I'm not sure if this is originally a manga but hopefully there is more back story on the "gods" soon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Space Dandy 01
The jokes and style of humor not only failed to make me laugh, but they just weren't very amusing either. The later half of the episode had a lot of visual stuff going on that was super neat but it completely lacked purpose even within the framing of the episode. It will probably get better. Usually throwing around terms like "the worst" is hyperbolic and silly, but that evil guy in the Statue of Liberty ship has one of the worst designs I've ever seen. I hope he doesn't come back.

oh yeh, godly ED.

Space Dandy 01
The jokes and style of humor not only failed to make me laugh, but they just weren't very amusing either. The later half of the episode had a lot of visual stuff going on that was super neat but it completely lacked purpose even within the framing of the episode. It will probably get better. Usually throwing around terms like "the worst" is hyperbolic and silly, but that evil guy in the Statue of Liberty ship has one of the worst designs I've ever seen. I hope he doesn't come back.

Considering the monkey man and the lich are shown in the op they'll be around the whole show

Yeah, I think so. There's just something about that sort of mentality that really connects to me, and I'm sure to a lot of other people who had similar experiences in school (although when I was going through it, I was sure that I was the only person in the history of the world who had ever had such an experience).

Gazoinks

Nobunaga the Fool 1

This was dull in places, but it had enough wackiness that I'll keep watching in hopes of it becoming as crazy as I want it to be. The character designs are hilarious.

Tonari no Seki-kun 01

zsFvDXfl.jpg

I didn't think this could be so amazing and I couldn't be more happier about it.

Great OP and ED. So much KanaHana goodness. The music goes great with this, definitely adds a new level to this series.

Anime of forever.

This show is great and I already like the characters lol. Shame it got pupa'd and is in 5 min shorts.

Dragoshi1

Noragami was great, so was Seki-Kun. Nobunaga the Fool reminds me of Mobile Suit Gundam + tiny bit of Valvrave + Nobunaga, and I definitely enjoyed it.

Shergal

Noragami - 1
What doesn't look good is the monsters, they look pretty generic bad.
The designs aren't particularly inventive or interesting, but I liked the fluorescent colouring they gave them. Especially for scenes at night like the one at the end of the episode, they provide some nice contrast and funk. Remembering Kyokai from last season, the show could get pretty dry on night scenes to the point even the action seemed sterile and mushy. Yozakura Quartet also used a bunch of high-contrast colouring on night scenes, in the form of various effects and stuff.

Anyway, Noragami was a pleasant surprise. It's very solid visually, with good layout and colour work. The characters are well-established and their dynamics weren't too bad for a first episode. I'm ambivalent about how goofy the show gets at times, I feel the comedic timing is inconsistent and the gags are pretty anime. Then there's the weird pantyshots when she's kicking things and stuff. They didn't even feel like fanservice, just weird.
It's certainly a better monster-slaying shonen than KnK already lol.

Gbraga

Man, I really liked ImoCho, thought it was very funny, it will fill Noucome's role this season. That being said, the censoring is awful. I'd much rather see a way toned down version from the manga than having the original and then censoring it to sell it uncensored on blu-ray or something. I don't know, it just feels weird and take me out of the scene, I stop laughing and it gets weird.

Saki: Zenkoku-hen 1
ipxm6u8H4VYXZ.jpg

Yuuki still DA HNNNNG.
The main cast of magical super power lesbian mahjong is back! Thankfully, because Side-A was quite bogus. I'm a little surprised at how much I enjoyed this intro episode even though the core mahjong stuff has yet to happen, I guess I just really enjoy this cast as opposed to the boring cast that made up Achiga. Plus it's so shameless with the no-pan, I love it.

Space Dandy 1

While it definitely looked great, I thought it fell pretty flat on the comedy side. Will give it a few more episodes, but at least Dandy's a buttman and therefore a gentleman. Buttsssssssss.

Also the ED is beautiful, love that artist.

Noragami 1

Oddly enough, the other BONES show this season also had some comedy that fell pretty flat. I do enjoy Kamiya Hiroshi being a fucking goof and also Miyukichi's in this so I'll give it a couple more episodes to grab me. Also not-Chitanda looks freaky to me.

Tonari no Seki-kun 1

This is pretty perfect, KanaHana's agitated yelling is one of the greatest things ever. That ED is absolutely adorbs too. Best short series in a while.

Gbraga

Imocho makes me appreciate Oreimo lol. I have a confession to make. I enjoyed the first season of Oreimo. Quite a lot.

I really wanna watch it, just need to find the time. Season 1 on Crunchyroll is not available in the US, so I was gonna watch it using that Chrome thing that unlocks the US library, but my PC exploded on christmas eve, so I watched Yowapeda with the PS3 app instead.

I don't regret that decision at all, what an amazing anime Yowapeda is, never thought I'd like an anime about bikes so much, but I'll have to find another time to marathon Oreimo's first season.

HIME-HIME, HIME
SUKI SUKI DAISUKI HIME

BluWacky

This show is great and I already like the characters lol. Shame it got pupa'd and is in 5 min shorts.

I don't think it would really work with longer episodes. The whole point seems to be that each episode is structured around one inventive idea - it's best dealt with in short bursts like this rather than stop-start IMO. Presumably if they were airing five of these a week they could compile them at the end (like what happened with Azumanga Daioh) but I'm guessing there isn't enough material for that.

Quasar

I like the length I think. Much better than other shorts where the opening and closing run longer than the show. And I don't think stretching it out to 22 minutes would make it better. I guess you could have 3 stories in one episode, but I fear that would burnup all the good setups and/or make it feel repetitive.

Serious

Nobunaga the Fool 1

I quite liked it. It's like a fusion of Escaflowne and Horizon. The first episode was kind of rough, but there's potential. I give the roughness a bit of a pass, at least for now, because of how bizarre the setting is. They tend to be tricky to introduce.

Plus Kawamori shows are usually fun.

survivor

Banned
I don't think it would really work with longer episodes. The whole point seems to be that each episode is structured around one inventive idea - it's best dealt with in short bursts like this rather than stop-start IMO. Presumably if they were airing five of these a week they could compile them at the end (like what happened with Azumanga Daioh) but I'm guessing there isn't enough material for that.
Yeah if they did that they only have enough material for 10 weeks.

I'd hope they would at least take the liberty and adapt chapters out of order to cover the ones not in the classroom to change things up.

Why does Sleeping Dogs have to be such an amazing game?

Thanks to it, I'm once again behind on my anime.

Update from
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94691419&postcount=16658
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=114433&page=9

Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales

Yup,big win for Arpeggio and Non Non(Arpeggio still showing up in it's second week daily chart so i expect even more)
Machine Doll's 1.4k is only for DVD so i guess with full BD sales data out it will have decent number

Infinite Stratos S2 v2 sold 15008?

Can't be happy with the decrease knowing it still outsold every other Fall show.

Until Kuroko numbers come in anyway.

I like the length I think. Much better than other shorts where the opening and closing run longer than the show. And I don't think stretching it out to 22 minutes would make it better. I guess you could have 3 stories in one episode, but I fear that would burnup all the good setups and/or make it feel repetitive.

I think there is a lot of material but yeah stretching out may make it repetitive.

Why does Sleeping Dogs have to be such an amazing game?

Thanks to it, I'm once again behind on my anime.

Can't be happy with the decrease knowing it still outsold every other Fall show.

Until Kuroko numbers come in anyway.

untitled-17153jfd.gif

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mushi-shi Tokubetsu-hen: Hihamu Kage 1

Dem feels.

It's amazing how the series hasn't lost it's emotional pull on me after all these years. Those "small" moments that characterize Mushi-shi as a series from the nature of the sisters relationship, the symbolism of the mushi and how it related to the characterization on display.. and of course the music.

Can't wait for S2.

Witch Craft Works 01

hsKbc6tl.jpg

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I mean all the CG use was pretty bad but besides that it was still pretty enjoyable. Definitely started liking this adaptation once they got into the whole magic part. And judging from the OP, it actually looks like we might be getting into the current stuff in the manga which is surprising.

The ED was also pretty adorable as well.

Quasar

Wonder if part of that is loss of momentum due to time delays and lack of new material. Makes me wonder about about SAO S2..though SAO has continued to have new LN and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom