• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fin

Honestly, I'm speechless. Picked this up just because I wanted something manly and to find out why it's so loved.

What I found is one of my favorite shows of all time. I now know why everyone was mad about them making Neptunia instead of more JoJo.

cJ9KX07.jpg

I can not wait.

Next I'll try to finish up Spice and Wolf S2 and then proceed to Texhnolyze.

Nobunaga the Fool - 1

OH MY GOODNESS.

IT'S VALVRAVE. IN A MEDIEVAL WARFARE SETTING.

GIANT MECHS IN A MEDIEVAL WARFARE.
IN SPACE

Never mind Buddy Complex! THIS is the real Valvrave 2.0!

Tonari no seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time Episode 1

Alright start. Wish we had heard seki speak but otherwise it did help to turn my frown somewhat upwards a bit. Ending to the episode was a bit lacking, but I did like how he quickly put them away.

Branduil

Space Dandy 1(sub)

While the change made to the Honey dialogue that Bahi JD talked about is obviously important, I've got to say that I prefer the dub overall. The Japanese is better as far as voices go, and accuracy to the original script obviously, but the English script has a lot more jokes, and better humor overall, I think.

Gazoinks

Space Dandy 1(sub)

While the change made to the Honey dialogue that Bahi JD talked about is obviously important, I've got to say that I prefer the dub overall. The Japanese is better as far as voices go, and accuracy to the original script obviously, but the English script has a lot more jokes, and better humor overall, I think.

Yeah, I liked the extra jokes the dub added, especially "I can't read circle!". While I like JP Dandy a little more, I thought EN Dandy had some moments that were better than the Japanese. Especially his casual "Got it" when he grabs the string.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki Zenkoku-hen - 01

MSmrb3I.png
t5zMeiT.png

Welcome back, to the stage of history.

Ahhhhh I'm so happy it's finally here! Seing Saki and the gang not to mention the crew from Side-A got me so pumped! Not to mention getting brief glimpses of a ton of new characters that they'll face as they make their way to the finals. But the creme de la creme was none other than MOTHERFUCKIN STEALTH MOMOOOOOOO~!

W0NWaAS.png

Kajiki x Momo OTP for life!!!!

And is it me or did her breasts become huge? Or maybe I was just too busy gushing over her fluff moments with Kajiki back in the past? I don't know! I don't care! Saki is back! Yaaaaaaaaaay!

Silver Spoon 2-4

I'm really liking this. Sure, the production isn't exceptional or anything, but it's solid enough with some nice touches here and there. The characters are charming, especially Hachiken, which is good as he's our viewpoint character into this foreign world of agriculture. The farming subjects being covered are interesting to me, and it's making me think about where my food comes from and the work that has to be done to provide it for me. It's a different perspective on animals than I'm used to. The pizza episode was really good, both in showing Hachiken beginning to grow as a person and in showing the many different fields that have to come together to produce something I take for granted.

I'm glad to see that noitaminA is still occasionally producing shows that are deserving of the brand's original intent.

Gbraga

Buddy Complex

Well, that escalated quickly. I was into it at first, but I'm not sure about the direction it seems to be going. I'll watch at least a couple more episodes to see if I should stick around though.

e_i

Nobunagun episode 1

It's pretty clear that Sio is smitten with Kaoru. Interesting animation with the girls and the flowers/trees appearing through them like they are translucent. Then everything goes fucking bonkers. Historical figures as weapons? Weird.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The egg cooks as you mix it into the rice.

Tastes quite good, but you rice needs to be steaming hot.

Nobunaga the Fool 01

Ancient Chinese warfare, hm? With
GUNDAMS!?
… and now they're
IN SPACE!?
WHAT THE HELL AM I WATCHING?!

OceanBlue

The egg cooks as you mix it into the rice.

Tastes quite good, but you rice needs to be steaming hot.

Is this something you can do with rice from any rice cooker? I've seen my parents cook rice over the stove before, but a rice cooker is just so convenient.

Gazoinks

Nobunaga the Fool 01

Ancient Chinese warfare, hm? With
GUNDAMS!?
… and now they're
IN SPACE!?
WHAT THE HELL AM I WATCHING?!

Don't forget the part where
Davinci showed up with a tuba to take Jeanne Kaguya D'arc onto Magellan's spaceship and then randomly betray him.

Jintor

Is this something you can do with rice from any rice cooker? I've seen my parents cook rice over the stove before, but a rice cooker is just so convenient.

i guess if you don't mind washing the rice bowl thingy.

Personally I just steam yams in there.

Don't forget the part where
Davinci showed up with a tuba to take Jeanne Kaguya D'arc onto Magellan's spaceship and then randomly betray him.

Oh, I don't think I could ever forget that. XD

But still, even with all the weird stuff, it boils down to a giant robot show. I get that. And it's still better than most of the other new shows I watched so far.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

I do it after the rice is done cooking and I scoop it into my bowl.

Jintor

stick to steaming root vegetables. Sweet potatos are my jam.

don't steam fish in your rice cooker. this may seem like obvious information, but do not be tempted.

Mr.Jeff

Tonari no Seki - 01
Hey that was pretty fun for a little short burst. ED is really enjoyable

Seitokai Yakuindomo 2 - 01
Same cast, same jokes, same fun. The judo fight was pretty incredible but there was a couple of moments of some really iffy looking CG in places. I like that they've continued with the recurring squid joke.

Space Dandy - 01
Pretty second half but kinda dull. Dandy feels a bit wishy-washy as a character and the impression at the start that the universe now essentially revolves around tits is a bit stupid. Some fantastically varied alien designs though.

Tenumi

Banned
I am hereby making a promise that I will watch the ADV gag dub of Ghost Stories in the near future.

I cannot miss out on this opportunity.

OceanBlue

I am hereby making a promise that I will watch the ADV gag dub of Ghost Stories in the near future.

I cannot miss out on this opportunity.

The Youtube clips of it are pretty funny. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if I've been spoiled on most of the funniest scenes because of that though. :<

Jintor

Mirrai Nikki (Future Diary?) or Blast of Tempest? Choose for me, animegaf.

You can't say 'neither'. Frankly, I'd rather be watching Yamato.

Dresden

Mirrai Nikki (Future Diary?) or Blast of Tempest? Choose for me, animegaf.

You can't say 'neither'. Frankly, I'd rather be watching Yamato.

tempest has first seven episodes or so where it's good, whereas diary is just junk, so...

should just go watch yamato though

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Saki S2

FUCK YES IT'S BACK

AND SO MUCH GODDAMN HYPE
KX6dPwNl.jpg

nZXIdcvl.jpg

I was giggling throughout that entire scene. If this aired like 6 days earlier, I probably would make Saki my #1 based simply on this moment. lol

When you think about it, this is a moment that really only works on television. It's like when someone from Buffy shows up on Angel or when Thomas Riker shows up on Deep Space Nine or countless other numbers of franchise crossovers that only work because television shows are long running enough to build up the narrative weight of having multiple characters and multiple shows conspiring to meet up in the most calculated and contrived manner possible.

Marvel tried it with Agents of Poop, but this five second scene - WHICH HAPPENED FROM THE OTHER PERSPECTIVE IN Saki Side-A - embodies that amazing Franchise Connectedness Moment so perfectly.

Of course, I'm also the nerd who likes television and television-specific gimmicks, so I suppose it's not a surprise that I loved this. But I marked out so hard when it happened. They certainly didn't need to do it - since they showed all the Side-A characters earlier - but the fact that they did makes me so happy. I was already hype when they played the Saki hype theme near the beginning of the episode, but they trumped that so quickly!

That said, it is funny that the whole sister vs sister thing is pretty ridiculous when you consider than Girls und Panzer did in 12 episodes what Saki will need at least 100 episodes and two spinoffs to achieve. Hell, I *think* they even hint at the new spinoff during a random scene in this episode. lol

Also, a random Kobayashi appears!
NyI8i5el.jpg

I totally forgot that she was in this again... and between Gintama, Seitokai Yakuindomo, and now Saki, it's clear that Kobayashi has pretty much been put out to the seiyuu glue factory/stud farm/other strained metaphor involving farm animals. She seems to only get trotted out to do work for legacy characters now which is too bad.

Also, a random Kobayashi appears!

I totally forgot that she was in this again... and between Gintama, Seitokai Yakuindomo, and now Saki, it's clear that Kobayashi has pretty much been put out to the seiyuu glue factory/stud farm/other strained metaphor involving farm animals. She seems to only get trotted out to do work for legacy characters now which is too bad.

I saw that she's in Onee-chan ga Kita. Yeah...

Nobunaga The Fool Episode 1

Pretty thrilling start if a bit bordering on being a bit overly ambitious with what this episode was trying to do. Ill most likely rewatch it before starting episode 2 next week just to retake in everything and be more adept and receptive to the plot as it launches forward now that lots of the characters had their lines and pinning their hopes on various entities be it the voice for Jeanne, or Nobu, Mitsuhide, and Hideyoshi changing the world, and more. The music and the way it was done also made it feel like some grande opening to an epic quest of large proportions only seen extensively in modern role playing games of sorts. I wouldnt mind playing one based on this property..hopefully.

Character designs seemed inspired from Hiiro no Kakera and Hakuoki which is good if that is the original person who created them, second favorite behind the character designer for Uta no Prince Sama characters.

At least of the three winter anime Ive seen thus far, this and Future Card Buddyfight are really making this season seem like its better than most winters and is off to a great start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom