• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

LOL

So the last 3 episodes were held hostage in DVD/Blu Ray sales?

huh... so googled a bit and they were first aired on the internet? So... I don't get it

Yeah, low-res streaming and all that.

I guess CR got the same deal as for the TV station on there in some way.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga - 01

YoNvDcs.png
RyuBr1z.png

g0hM9KI.gif

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah, low-res streaming and all that.

I guess CR got the same deal as for the TV station on there in some way.

that's really really really dumb. holy crap. How common is holding episodes and streaming them in awful quality? Guessing it's a ploy to get people to buy the show? wow this is really annoying. I just wanted to finish it.

So do Nisemonogatari and Monogatari have this problem as well? Or will it be safe to watch those on CR.

BluWacky

In further crapping on Wakanim, there is something very odd going on with their streaming player. I'm watching Space Dandy in Chrome on my TV screen so it may be browser/screen based, but about three quarters of the viewing window is one colour palette, and then it's "framed" by some sort of overlay. Weirdly, though, it doesn't affect the subtitles, nor their placement on the screen - I thought it was something to do with going full screen but it's clearly not affecting sub placement.

Very bad quality photograph of my TV screen attached here:

You can see the frame around the image there. Wonder why it's done that?

cnet128

Banned
She's playing the bunny:

cgD7TUI.png

Goddammit you got my hopes up for a moment there. Is Natsume's VA going to be stuck playing bit parts and mascots for the rest of her life? The last part I remember her in was a mascot too (the chibi triplets in the disgustingly mediocre Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou) and she was barely recognisable. Complete waste of an amazing voice.

(Though a small part of me is secretly happy because it feels Natsume was such a perfect match for her that it doesn't want to hear that voice on any other character ever...)

Hunter x Hunter - 110

I want Madhouse to be as faithful to the original experience of reading Hunter x Hunter as possible.

To fulfil this, I believe that episode 111 needs to be delayed for 1 year and 8 months.

Dude, don't even JOKE about that >________<

So theres a AnimeGAF and a MangaGAF, is there a LNGAF? and if not where should such discussions take place?

I figure if it's a series that has an anime adaptation (or has been announced to get one), this thread is definitely the most appropriate place since the anime will definitely be the most high-profile version of the series in Western circles. If it only has a manga adaptation, maybe MangaGAF is more appropriate, but it can't hurt to bring it here since it'll probably get an anime sooner or later anyway. If it doesn't have either...ah, what the heck, just bring it in here.

It's one thing to translate the ten words of dialogue in this week's One Piece, it's another to translate a 50,000 world novel that has no real audience.

One Piece definitely has more than ten words of dialogue every week, and translating even that can become quite tiring >.> Butyeah, LNs are on a whoooole different level.

heh heh.

You know, I always wondered how will adapt episode 111 and onwards in the anime. Because in the manga, the narration and direction changes up a bit to another style: slow and even more detailed, the narrator has more presence (as if someone was telling you the tale of what happened) and there is a lyrical tone in his voice, the camera work (well, the equivalent in manga) is more spectacular and cinematographic. I hope they get right next week.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to watch. I really liked the manga narrator in this part of the arc, and I can totally see the HxH anime narrator rising to the challenge, but I'm not sure how well the essentially slow-motion nature of events is going to work.

Magi S2 - Episode 13

Fantastic episode. I'm glad I picked the series back up with ep8. I dunno how long this is going to last, but they're actually doing a pretty good job with it now. This was a big episode with the Titus/Aladdin fight and it didn't disappoint one bit. Good direction, actually paced well, solid action, exciting movements and great effects, even the music was nice.

If every episode of Magi was like this from the start of the first season, it would be one of the better shounen action series. :(

Goddammit duckroll, please don't make me want to pick up Magi of all things again.

2) It's DRM Free DTO, so that's nice. But you need to choose between Sub and Dub which is something of an arse. Is MKV not royality free or somein'?

MKV is royalty-free, but I get the impression it's not widely used at all outside of the scene of illegal downloads, which kind of hurts its legitimacy. In my experience there are far fewer devices that can actually play it compared to better-established formats like mp4 and AVI, even when the underlying codecs are identical.

Averon

Setokai Yakiundomo S2 - 01

Fantastic first episode. I liked how the first half of the entire episode was on big, long introduction scene. My only fear is that they blew most of their budget on this episode and the rest will suffer for it. I'd be shocked if they can keep up this level of polish for the rest of the season.

Seitokai Yakuindomo S2 1

I lost it at this scene. The Engrish combined with the actual JP text translation had me rolling in laughter.

I'm so glad to see the entire cast back for another season.

Setokai Yakiundomo S2 - 01

Fantastic first episode. I liked how the first half of the entire episode was on big, long introduction scene. My only fear is that they blew most of their budget on this episode and the rest will suffer for it. I'd be shocked if they can keep up this level of polish for the rest of the season.

I think that using so much of their budget is the biggest and longest joke of the entire episode.

LayLa

In further crapping on Wakanim, there is something very odd going on with their streaming player. I'm watching Space Dandy in Chrome on my TV screen so it may be browser/screen based, but about three quarters of the viewing window is one colour palette, and then it's "framed" by some sort of overlay. Weirdly, though, it doesn't affect the subtitles, nor their placement on the screen - I thought it was something to do with going full screen but it's clearly not affecting sub placement.

no idea, my subs were out of sync with the audio, and their "diagnostics" page is in French. helpful.

fertygo

that's really really really dumb. holy crap. How common is holding episodes and streaming them in awful quality? Guessing it's a ploy to get people to buy the show? wow this is really annoying. I just wanted to finish it.

So do Nisemonogatari and Monogatari have this problem as well? Or will it be safe to watch those on CR.

They already passing the round number episode for their cour (12/13)
The time for their airing is up, so instead cut the episode number they just streaming the rest of episode.

No, only Bake that dealing with that kind of stuff..

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Seitokai Yakuindomo S2 1

I lost it at this scene. The Engrish combined with the actual JP text translation had me rolling in laughter.

I'm so glad to see the entire cast back for another season.

I think that using so much of their budget is the biggest and longest joke of the entire episode.

looks like im checking out this show.

Firemind

Code Geass Akito 2

As Duckroll said there is an odd conflict here, between a more sober, dry style that the OVAs use (in comparison with the original series) and the more anime~ quirks that still persist. I mean:

codegeass_zpsdcafa279.gif~original

I could swear they increased the breasts size to her just for that scene.
(oh, and talking about her, damn is she stupid, how many times is she going to forgive the 3 terrorists!)
In fact, the first OVA was a bit boring with the new more serious style, except for the action scenes.

in this second OVA the plot doesn't move forward a lot until the last part.
They just are assigned a new suicidal mission, the terrorist japs try to escape but they stay at the end, and in combat we learnt of the new Geass users and the Akito brother appears.
But it ends in a point that it will make the 3rd OVA very interesting, as part of the mystery has been shown and the plot twist, and add that the coming of certain past characters of the series...

edit: oh, and the action scenes are still great. All dat cg...

I suddenly have the urge to watch Code Geass for the first time now...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Space Dandy 1 Sub

Really no problem with the first half. Not exceptional but funny at times.

Second half is basically exactly what I was expecting.

Absolutely no reason to not tune in next week.

JoeFu

Banned
They already passing the round number episode for their cour (12/13)
The time for their airing is up, so instead cut the episode number they just streaming the rest of episode.

No, only Bake that dealing with that kind of stuff..

Never saw it that way, but yeah it is better than just cutting a show off early. Anyways thanks for all the replies.

Nordicus

Monogatari Second Series 21-26

Having seen the spoilers for this arc, I still thought Kaiki
would get killed off by lethal bleeding or Sengoku's poison or whatever, but no, his end was far more anti-climactic than that and it was really fitting, not to mention it left a rather ominous aftertaste. Kaiki was really cool, yet I ain't even mad

Really great arc. Changing the main character was really refreshing

DiGiKerot

Very bad quality photograph of my TV screen attached here:

Weird.

I use Firefox rather than Chrome, and Wakanim has this really odd gradient background on their video player. Inevitably when I full-screen things onto my telly, it merges the video with the background, so the image gradually gets brighter and more washed out the further up the screen you look.

That said, dropping out and back into fullscreen usually sorts that out - I've never seen that particularly problem you're displaying before, and I normally watch KlK and SF there weekly.

(I watched both the dub and sub Space Dandy streams there earlier, and can't say I noticed anything too untoward).

thought about contacting them directly on twitter. yeh about that http://twitter.com/Wakanim_UK

Meh, tweet through Anime Limiteds twitter account instead if you actually want a productive response.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising: 6:
Great end to the fight. The look in Aoki's eyes when Shinoda was talking to him between rounds was chilling, and they gave the fight a lot of impact. Seeing the struggles of both Aoki and Imae, and the growing respect, you got a lot of sense for how things were progressing.
It's sad for Aoki that he fell just short thanks to the judges, but he gave it his all and proved himself as the top challenger in his bracket.

Some of the comedy scenes at the end of the episode were amazing, too. The facial expressions in that scene with Takamura, Tomiko and Itagaki's dad were hilarious. You can always count on Takamura for scenes like that.

Yamato 2199 - 08

Man that emperor
must be bored out of his mind after 103 years... he is not gonna let go of his new toy that easily.

Other than that , excellent episode.

Yamato 2199 - 09

It was the loss ...of a friend ...

OK this episode was better than i could have possibly hoped , but this means i need a break from Yamato from now.

Damn.

Dynedom

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 03

Why do things look so beautiful when they explode in this series? Some truly wonderful art and I'm still loving the retro music. I know I gushed about the character design a bit but I do have to say that the antenna hair on the nurse is a bit odd (but moe I guess so whatever).

The Garmillans seem a bit dumb though (or at least the ones we've seen thus far). I mean:
allowing the Yamato to pass by simply out of some arrogant curiosity seems a bit out of character with how ruthlessly efficient they've been in their campaign. Same thing goes for completely underestimating the ship on the floating continent.
I do have to say that I'm guessing arrogance is going to be a running theme of the series and possibly a key to the enemy downfall. I hope not. I'm hoping for genuine tactical warfare on an LoGH/Banner of the Stars level. I want military genius vs genius. :(

As for
what can essentially be called "the big gun", I'm wondering if it's going to become a point of contention among the crew/military down the road. It has incredible destructive power but Okita sees it as a last resort form of defense, which is quite refreshing. I can see it also helping to establish the Yamato as a symbol of fear for the enemy and cementing the ships' status as legendary (if not infamous).

It was also touching to see them
pay respects to Sasha again. Yuki's flowers were a nice touch but her actions are again arousing my suspicions about her origins.

Onwards to 04!

first of all, sterotypes exist in everything ever, if someone pointed out every sterotype in a show made for western audience in 5 shows you watch, you're gonna start noticing them in a ton of shows after the fact, tropes arent a fault by default, infact a story is basically built on tropes which is why tvtropes exist.

2nd I havent seen Jormungand in a while, what girl in a school outfit again? and when did it become shitty?

Sure tropes and shows are symbiotic and mutually needed, but when a show doesn't rely on the more obvious tropes I appreciate it so much. When I get a Fate Zero compared to a Fate Stay Night the attempt at making something like this is amazing. Cowboy Bebop is another show that refused to use many animetropes if I recall it correctly. I still use it to this day to introduce people to anime. Or when a show makes fun of tropes like Gintama did plenty of times.

As to Jormungand, the school girl that didn't wear panties I believe was part of the people they first fought. Like a guy with glasses and a hawaiian shirt and her I believe.

When the show got shitty? First season was decent enough to keep me watching, but it wasn't amazing. Second season animation seemed to have gotten shittier, the stories weren't as interesting and I basically dropped it early on. I mean this is all opinion of course. Plenty of peeps here hate shows I loved.

Like SAO.
lol jk

I was rewatching Much Ado about Nothing (the '93 version from Kenneth Branagh) and then I noticed something.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the original tsunderes:

600full-much-ado-about-nothing-screenshot.jpg

It-it-it's not like I love you, you baka!

William Shakespeare only used the best stereotypes!

Theonik

Cowboy: The Bebop 09
So is Edward a he or she? We simply must know.
I like how this show introduces its characters. So seamless.

Jarmel

Banned
Ed is a girl. This is somewhat common knowledge but might as well repeat it, she was modeled off of Yoko Kanno's lethargic behavior.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 2:
Damn I love how all the mechanical stuff looks in this show. The shots of the planes attacking were great, and the look and detail present on the bridge is excellent. The setup of the show seems to be taken care of with this second episode, and now the crew is together and heading off on their mission. I still don't have a firm handle on who most of the characters are (a lot of them have only had a couple of scenes), but there have been some humanizing moments with some of them. I'll look forward to getting to know the characters better.

Probably my favorite moment of the episode was
the Yamato emerging after the explosion. That whole scene looked and sounded amazing.

Tonari no Seki-kun 01

zsFvDXfl.jpg

I didn't think this could be so amazing and I couldn't be more happier about it.

Great OP and ED. So much KanaHana goodness. The music goes great with this, definitely adds a new level to this series.

Anime of forever.

Theonik

Cowboy: The Bebop 10
Finally an episode trying flesh out Jet's background. And what an episode it was.
It still doesn't answer everything of course but we learn a lot of interesting things regardless.

Tonari no Seki-kun 01

zsFvDXfl.jpg

I didn't think this could be so amazing and I couldn't be more happier about it.

Great OP and ED. So much KanaHana goodness. The music goes great with this, definitely adds a new level to this series.

Anime of forever.

Oh shit, it just started? Weeelp! I know what I'm going to watch.

Gazoinks

Tonari no Seki-kun 01

zsFvDXfl.jpg

Anime of forever.

Sweet, will check this out later.

Space Dandy 1 but this time with subs

Rewatched this on Funi for the purposes of comparison, overall I think I'll go with the dub. I like Dandy's JP voice more (although EN Dandy is good and had some great moments, like the super casual "Got it" when he grabbed the string), but I like the EN voices of most of the side characters, and EN narrator is a significant improvement. Shame about the OP/ED.

Although hearing "Breastaurant" with a Japanese accent was pretty great.

Space Dandy 1

Well, I will say this: I expect the next episode is better! The first part was pretty bad, the second half was spectacular with all the animation and colorful style, but even then, it didn't nothing particularly good or interesting.

It's a pity they couldn't start with a really good episode to show off the series, as Cowboy Bebop did.

But I will wait a pair of episodes more, to be honest this episode felt more like a prologue, an intro. it Just present the main character(s) and his basic personality, and a curious plot device near the end. The first real history will be next episode.

edit: Funny stuff: I started watching it, and while I was thinking how better it could be... I remembered another series which is a space comedy that is witty, original, full of adventures, and with a fair amount of guts. It's Bravest Warriors.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I was rewatching Much Ado about Nothing (the '93 version from Kenneth Branagh) and then I noticed something.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the original tsunderes:

600full-much-ado-about-nothing-screenshot.jpg

It-it-it's not like I love you, you baka!

William Shakespeare only used the best stereotypes!

Have you ever read Fyodor Dostoevsky's "The Idiot" ? it has the original Yandere ;)

survivor

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 01

Pretty good adaptation and casting Yokoi as Kana Hanzawa is brilliant. I really want them to start adapting more chapters per episode, but the stupid 5 mins format is too limiting.

bigkrev

Tonari no Seki-kun 1

About as perfect an adaptation one could ask for. The music added to the experience, the OP and ED were both awesome, and the voices were perfect.

Early favorite for AOTY 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom