• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Seitokai Yakuindomo
HOLY SHIT THAT BUDGET
Who did they blackmail to be able to make that damn episode? God damn. They even had a freaking
POV Dog camera
for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON.
They made a completely pointless and needlessly expensive opening teaser with best ENGRISH all for a single gag!
This is not how you make anime! I expect the next episode to look like crud though. lol

Someone forged a blank check

Gbraga

Tonari no Seki-kun is great! Just like Koma-plushies. The length will be fine if they intend to keep every episode during class, it won't drag too much this way. But I kinda wish it was longer and had Seki and Yokoi killing time in several different ways and occasions. I guess it's also very interesting to see how far he can go during class though.

Next, Nobunaga the Fool.

God help me.

Quasar

Tonari no Seki-kun is great! Just like Koma-plushies. The length will be fine if they intend to keep every episode during class, it won't drag too much this way. But I kinda wish it was longer and had Seki and Yokoi killing time in several different ways and occasions. I guess it's also very interesting to see how far he can go during class though.

I think a school cafeteria / library episode would be interesting in that regard.

Geneijin

BAHIJD said:
so as someone who worked on the show, I would like to speak about this short dialogue between Honey and Dandy. This above is fair to original japanese version (she says "ujimushi" = "worm"in japanese not ass, but it’s still sarcastic, funny and insulting) , but in the english Toonami dub, the script was changed.

Instead, in the english script, she says “asteroid belt” which is neither funny, insulting nor sarcastic, and it is totally misleading, because this dialogue was an important hint to Honey’s real character.

When she’s sarcastically calling him a stupid name, the story is trying to give small hints to the audience that this show is actually not set in a generic universe of stupid brainless boobies, and the female characters are not what they seem to be. Yes, we are in a bar called “BOOBIES”…..the girls are supposed to look generic and hot, but they are acting, getting paid for it, that’s not who they really are. The episode is supposed to be very fun and crazy, strange narrative, but with small important hints.

- source

Tonari no seki-kun 01

Was surprised by the relatively low runtime of the episode, but I guess the show is only as long as it needs to be. I found it very amusing. I'll certainly keep watching for the time being.

Noragami 01

Had some funny moments, but some things about it still reeks of a mediocre demon-fighter anime. All in all, it wasn't bad.

Magi: Kingdom of Magic 13

Glad we're getting back to the goings on at the Magic Academy after having missed it completely with last episodes total focus on the Kou empire. Aladdin is hilarious.

After watching it in japanese, I'd actually say the dub's translation of some of the jokes like, "I can't read circle!" worked better, though I agree about not being head over heels with the jokes in general. But that bit above about Honey's dialogue is concerning.

Jarmel

Banned
The dub definitely has some jokes that aren't there in the subs. Whoever thought of "Zero G meets Double D" needs a pay raise. There's also the Toy Story joke as well.

Fushigi Mahou Fun Fun Pharmacy 2-3

okJKbnd.jpg

Toei pls

Rather interested in certain aspects, like most people not being able to see magic, and I bet the reason is because they're not little girls.

Definitely odd bits of animation though. A bit surprised that this goes all the way to constellations being involved as Plot of the Week material.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm pretty sure that this is going to be one of those instances where you have to watch both language versions for the full experience. The original for superior VA work and the definitive script, and the English language version for jokes that are actually tailored to the English-speaking audience. I'm fine watching it twice in a week.

Fushigi Mahou Fun Fun Pharmacy 2-3

Definitely odd bits of animation though.

funfun7-2znuqi.gif

wonzo

Banned
filler filler filler filler elitist elitist filler snob filler filler citation needed filler filler weeb filler *brain dies*

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 10:
Imperialists really do ruin everything. Pinion can go fuck right off with
his whole attitude about just taking everything for himself and using his might to face off anyone who tries to oppose him. He also picks up on cultural assimilation and the subjugation of enemies with alarming speed.
Of course, Chamber and the Galactic Alliance are no better.
Chamber's whole argument to Ledo about how they have to destroy the Hideauze is just ridiculous, and now we're probably going to see the Alliance trying to flex their muscles on people who just want to be left alone.

Ledo is able to see past a lot of things that were clouding his mind previously, and that's very gratifying to see. Particularly in the case of how he can now revisit past events and see them from a different perspective.

CorvoSol

Nobunaga the Fool 1

Yes.

YES.

YEEESS.

YEEEEEEEESSS.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

OH HELL YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku

VxtgQskl.jpg

Even if you are poor, you should still buy Senyuu BRs.

So, now I get to watch this Lucky Star spinoff (with its own Lucky Star OP) not in NicoNico vision and it is still entertaining as it was before.

I guess the one thing I'm a little disappointed in is that the unfinished EDs weren't kept.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm rewatching Dandy Ep. 1, holy shit at the alien planet sequence when Dandy is knocked in the air. My god, that's the best animated sequence I've seen from a new show for a long time.

:Based Nakamura and Bahri

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm rewatching Dandy Ep. 1, holy shit at the alien planet sequence when Dandy is knocked in the air. My god, that's the best animated sequence I've seen from a new show for a long time.

:Based Nakamura and Bahri

Unless I misread (well, I machine-translated it so it's anyone's guess), Bahi JD said on twitter that this was his cut:

Soma

I'm pretty sure that this is going to be one of those instances where you have to watch both language versions for the full experience. The original for superior VA work and the definitive script, and the English language version for jokes that are actually tailored to the English-speaking audience. I'm fine watching it twice in a week.

Yeah after watching both, I actually don't mind the dub. Japanese version has the much better cast but the jokes in the English version worked a bit better for me.

Butchering the (both fantastic) OP and ED is pretty shitty though.

wonzo

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 1

tonariseki1.jpg

I always kinda envisioned Yayoi's voice for Yokoi whenever I read the manga but KanaHana did a great job with this. I also liked how Seki labelled ever single one of his erasers which is p. hilarious after a recently translated chapter. sogoood

oh and ED of the season

Lucky Star 1

Forgot to give my comments on this, as it was the only new thing I group watched with others.

It was fun to riff on this for the most part, so it's a keeper. However, stripping away the riffing, I didn't really feel this episode, but I think that is what happens when you're exposed to SOLs in a post Lucky Star world. Maybe that's why it didn't actually grab me.

At least it's fun to make fun of.

Shergal

I thought they both worked on that sequence?

Edit:So Dandy being knocked up is Bahi 's sequence and the stone sliding is Nakamura's then.

Nakamura did a bunch of cuts, starting from the close-up of Dandy pulling out his gun up to after the stone sliding cut.
That's mostly a guess, of course, but it seems about right. Lol at the guys coming out of the ground in cube-shaped holes

Also this is interesting:
https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/419906374408368128
https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/419905990700826624

Jintor

Lucky Star 1

Forgot to give my comments on this, as it was the only new thing I group watched with others.

It was fun to riff on this for the most part, so it's a keeper. However, stripping away the riffing, I didn't really feel this episode, but I think that is what happens when you're exposed to SOLs in a post Lucky Star world. Maybe that's why it didn't actually grab me.

At least it's fun to make fun of.

for my money, Lucky Star didn't draw me in until episode 7 or so, and even then I don't think I could ever get back to it

OceanBlue

for my money, Lucky Star didn't draw me in until episode 7 or so, and even then I don't think I could ever get back to it

I liked the episodes once Takemoto became the director. I still watch a random episode every now and then and I really enjoy it. I think I was in the right frame of mind when I watched it, and I hadn't seen many other shows like it before (I hadn't seen Azumanga Daioh then), so it's definitely a show I'm fond for.

Jintor

I liked the episodes once Takemoto became the director. I still watch a random episode every now and then and I really enjoy it. I think I was in the right frame of mind when I watched it and I hadn't seen many other shows like it before nor did I watch Azumanga Daioh, but it's definitely a show I'm fond for.

I have good memories of it, and I loveeeeee the Konata/Kagami dynamic, but I don't really ever want to rewatch it.

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 13 - Titus Alexius

Well if Magi had truly been this intense, hilarious, and action heavy with the magic all along then I would have been more hyped for it overall. Titus reminds me of Sytry in sound at times so its a good match (Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist) and personality is fairly fitting too. The magic is also as good visually as it was there, and I also like how it seemed they made Aladdin and Titus seem more vivid and such in their expressions for faces.
Though I would have expected the lead mage to have noticed or raised his eyebrows, unless he was too far away to notice?
Also Spinthus for most hilarious magi character, his faces during Titus scenes is memorable.

-
Also got more anime goods from earlier this week (makai ouji: devils and realist poster), large Free! big towel (its huge and amazing), and thanks to dakkumauji for the Free! Illustrations book.

Gbraga

Witch Craft Works

THE BEST
IS YET
TO COME

I'll take your word for it, Obama-kun.

I really liked what I watched. I don't know what I expected, but I'm definitely watching this one. I like Kagari C:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom