• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Space Dandy

Terminator reference? Terminator reference.
qn54k6k.gif

Defuser

Tonari no Seki Kun ep 1
HanaKana goodness hnnnnnnnnnnngh

The manga is so damn good and this anime is no slouch either. The OP/ED is awesome.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 18-24

I can't take any interesting screencaps without spoiling stuff. So I'll just leave this great shot in a link.

http://i.imgur.com/mLJvB0v.png

I'm bummed that this awesome ride is almost over.

Gazoinks

I guess a ton of stuff premiered today? I guess I know what I'm doing for the next few hours. Tonari first then, yeah?

Yeah, Tonari first. It's like 8 minutes long. Then crazy Nobunaga blowout. :D

I hope Wizard Barristers turns out alright. Not confident in the director given Galilei Donna, but the concept has a lot of potential. Next Sunday, yes? Looks like Thurs, Sat, and Sun are my anime days this season. Speaking of which, when do Kill La Kill and Samumenco come back?

I'd agree there is more tension and drama. But I liked Akagi because of seeing him toy with all the characters by exploiting their psychological weaknesses.

Right now Kaiji hasn't done anything noteworthy. He isn't intelligent. He isn't good at reading people. He doesn't even seem particular good at gambling.

It represents two different kinds of satisfying victories. There's the "I'm a badass and I'm going to break this guy who underestimated me right from the start" route and there's the "I'm an underdog and gonna go through hell, but when I win, everyone and their mothers are going to be so shocked that they'll feel inferior for losing to someone like me" route. Akagi represents the former and Kaiji represents the latter. I personally find the latter more satisfying.

fertygo

This scene alone makes Akagi worth it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Zukb5uYzY

^ Spoilers obviously

God I miss the show, already watch it numerous time.. but its already year since my last rewatch, what to do..

I should wait till september though ;__;;
It represents two different kinds of satisfying victories. There's the "I'm a badass and I'm going to break this guy who underestimated me right from the start" route and there's the "I'm an underdog and gonna go through hell, but when I win, everyone and their mothers are going to be so shocked that they'll feel inferior for losing to someone like me" route. Akagi represents the former and Kaiji represents the latter. I personally find the latter more satisfying.

Except its not like that at all, if you playing Mahjong you'd know all the trick isn't impossible.. even as beginner, the biggest block for doing the move is usually your lack of resolution

In Mahjong you gonna find yourself regretting a lot by your precious move, when your head not following your heart at all.

Its a battle against yourself most of the time (God, such a fascinating game)

Jintor

Log Horizon 14

Mmm, dat stylish infodumping. Can't tell what the Sage is thinking, which is probably a good mark - I had him pegged as a villain's messenger last episode based on his design, but he could conceivably just be a shifty-looking Gandalf. Excited to find out which (or if it's something else entirely). Dat lore.

Elder Tales sure had a long-ass beta. Probably was early access or some shit. I guess it's basically WoW though.

Love the way everything's going. Even the dungeon adventure stuff, while kind of basic, was interesting. This series is great.

Yeah, Tonari first. It's like 8 minutes long. Then crazy Nobunaga blowout. :D

I hope Wizard Barristers turns out alright. Not confident in the director given Galilei Donna, but the concept has a lot of potential. Next Sunday, yes? Looks like Thurs, Sat, and Sun are my anime days this season. Speaking of which, when do Kill La Kill and Samumenco come back?

This Thursday.

I think there is a difference between underdog, and clueless everydude who lucks into wins. Remember, I've only watched 4 episodes of Kaiji. The guy isn't a skilled underdog, at least not yet. Thus far I've only seen him depicted as a clueless moron.

This changed slightly when he
had 4 scissor cards left and was smart enough to target someone likely to play rock. I'm hoping for more moments like that.

Regardless, I'm not calling Kaiji bad. Just not as satisfying off the bat as Akagi was for me. I'm hoping the series has Kaiji actually becoming smart, and less easily fooled. Akagi started off as the strongest, and I want to see Kaiji become the strongest.

fertygo

I think there is a difference between underdog, and clueless everydude who lucks into wins. Remember, I've only watched 4 episodes of Kaiji. The guy isn't a skilled underdog, at least not yet. Thus far I've only seen him depicted as a clueless moron.

This changed slightly when he
had 4 scissor cards left and was smart enough to target someone likely to play rock. I'm hoping for more moments like that.

Regardless, I'm not calling Kaiji bad. Just not as satisfying off the bat as Akagi was for me. I'm hoping the series has Kaiji actually becoming smart, and less easily fooled. Akagi started off as the strongest, and I want to see Kaiji become the strongest.

You'd see a lot of macgyver moment from Kaiji don't worry.

Space Dandy 01

Not as bad as I expected going in, though I think I liked the first half better than the second, which runs contrary to a lot of people around here. But I don't think it's a bad show. I'll give it a few more episodes and see where it goes.

Damn all you people that put Flower of Evil so high on your AotY lists. I'm three episodes deep and I feel all kinds of wrong. Also, its a bad show to watch late at night because that closing "song" with the creepy kids singing is nightmare fuel.

Damn all you people that put Flower of Evil so high on your AotY lists. I'm three episodes deep and I feel all kinds of wrong. Also, its a bad show to watch late at night because that closing "song" with the creepy kids singing is nightmare fuel.

Yeah, that song is definitely the stuff of nightmares. I'm finding it stuck in my head sometimes, and I just get creeped out.

789shadow

Banned
Nobunaga the Fool 1

iYPNhWdlMOp91.gif

Nobunagun 1

I am prepared for several months of not being able to tell the 2 shows about Nobunaga apart.

Tonari no Seki-kun 1

Wasting time level: Asian

Noragami 1

I dunno, I got nothing.

Gazoinks

Wow. I think I like the vocals better on the version used in the anime series, but it's a really beautiful song. It never creeped me out the way it did some people, but it went very well with Aku no Hana.

I feel like the versions used in the show are creepier than the original song, which has more of a sad beauty to it. Might just be context though.

EDIT: I think the instrumentation is a big difference, listening to it. The original has all these sad strings, whereas the show version is backed mostly by oppressive marching percussion.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - End

What a great series. I would highly recommend anyone that's even a casual fan of science fiction to pick up this series.

This is has definitely earned its spot as my AotY (haven't watched flowers of evil just yet, given the impressions around here I'm not sure if I should)

As for the ending:

Yea it was a little cliche and the whole memories system was a little out of left field. But it didn't bother me at all. The cosmo reverser was meant to bring life back to a nearly dead earth I don't see why it wouldn't work on people.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - End

What a great series. I would highly recommend anyone that's even a casual fan of science fiction to pick up this series.

This is has definitely earned its spot as my AotY (haven't watched flowers of evil just yet, given the impressions around here I'm not sure if I should)

As for the ending:

Yea it was a little cliche and the whole memories system was a little out of left field. But it didn't bother me at all. The cosmo reverser was meant to bring life back to a nearly dead earth I don't see why it wouldn't work on people.

The memories system was foreshadowed earlier when Yurisha was the "ghost" at the heart of the automatic navigation system and Okita was using her memories to guide the Yamato towards Iscandar.

Eroge! H mo Game mo Kaihatsu Zanmai - 04

The main focus was on Blondie and Black Hair getting jealous when they found out our lucky guy has more experience than they were aware of.

And so they use a combination of fetishes to lead up to some double loving. The Glasses girl was neglected and stuck pleasuring herself behind the door, and the token loli girl just catches them at the climax of the moment.

Of course, it's what I expected, and it looks like it's slotted before the ending of the 3rd episode where
blondie was impregnated
, but it really isn't making use of the cast at it's fullest. I mean I thought Glasses was actually gonna get her full time in the limelight instead of just being
a walking toilet
, but nope. Having expectations for this series is like asking for the moon.

Nobunaga the Fool 1

So it's Escaflowne meets historical figures with the insanity meter turned way up. This was pretty entertaining, especially Sir Da Vinci and his horns.

Nobunaga the Fool - 1

OH MY GOODNESS.

IT'S VALVRAVE. IN A MEDIEVAL WARFARE SETTING.

GIANT MECHS IN A MEDIEVAL WARFARE.
IN SPACE

Never mind Buddy Complex! THIS is the real Valvrave 2.0!

Huh, it has like almost nothing in common with Valvrave. What's with all these odd comparisons to Valvrave?

Syrinx

Eroge! H mo Game mo Kaihatsu Zanmai - 04

The main focus was on Blondie and Black Hair getting jealous when they found out our lucky guy has more experience than they were aware of.

And so they use a combination of fetishes to lead up to some double loving. The Glasses girl was neglected and stuck pleasuring herself behind the door, and the token loli girl just catches them at the climax of the moment.

Of course, it's what I expected, and it looks like it's slotted before the ending of the 3rd episode where
blondie was impregnated
, but it really isn't making use of the cast at it's fullest. I mean I thought Glasses was actually gonna get her full time in the limelight instead of just being
a walking toilet
, but nope. Having expectations for this series is like asking for the moon.
Are you even allowed to post impressions of this?

Bombless

SO! Came back from vacation just in time for the beginning of the Winter Season!

Space Dandy 1

Let's get this out of the way : there was so much Space Adventure Cobra in there I almost squealed in delight, though the wtf was turned up to 12. I want to like it but still on the fence, wait and see.

Nobunaga the Fool 1

Strap yourselves in boys! I really did not expect to be more fired up by this than Space Dandy, but here we are. Also dibs on #TeamJeanne

Nobunagun 1

Pretty much what SDBurton said. Looking forward to what
Gandhi
can do.

Log Horizon 14

Delicious world lore and FINALLY monk girl grew a spine! Awesome!

Tonari no Seki-kun
bQdRUhi.gif

Reaction gifs goldmine ahoy. Also, given the lenght, you cannot not watch this. That ED is pure genious.

Gazoinks

From the New World 7

Hmm,
I'm looking forward to learning the origins of the Monster Rats. It's weird how different some of them look from each other. Especially General guy.

So this arc comes to a close in usual ominous fashion. The cliffhangers in this show slay me.
Time skip next!

CorvoSol

Partway through Buddy Complex. Nobunaga is non-Gundam mecha anime of the season, but Buddy Complex I do appreciate that there seems to be some 2D mecha stuff going on.

When do GBF and Kill la Kill come back?

Nobunagun 01

Weird use of color and floral patterns for this show. I mean I guess it probably means something like her isolation but still. It was also kinda of a dull first episode, took too long to set up and the action came pretty late.

Also seems to be different from what I expected where the historical figures were the actual weapons and had their souls apart of it like Shaman King instead of what we have now.

I guess due to it having something to do with Nobunaga, I'll give it another episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom