• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Michiko to Hatchin 01

Hana's foster family is almost comically assholish. What the fuck. They're such assholes I actually think it kind of detracts from the show kinda.

Well at least she beat the shit out of that asshole daughter

Gbraga

So, this season so far I have to keep an eye on Kagari, Yumihara and Hiyori.

I love Kagari's badassness, but Hiyori's hobby and her passion for it were really interesting, Yumihara blushes and has dark hair so she fits.

Not sure if this season will deliver as much as the last one with Mitsuki, Hotarun and Dagashiya, though. >_>

I'm still deeply in love with Dagashiya. Stealth best girl TT_TT

Nobunagun 01

Soul Eater + Historical Figures. I approve of this. And I'm kind of interested in the set up. I wonder what other historical figures we've got in the armory.

Nobunaga the Fool 01

Speaking of historical figures... this one's... interesting. Leonardo Da Vinci might steal the show for me if he continues being amazing. That said, I do enjoy Nobu and his merry band of misfits. How Jeanne D'Arc is related to Ranmaru I'll never understand, but there you go.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Michiko to Hatchin 01

Hana's foster family is almost comically assholish. What the fuck. They're such assholes I actually think it kind of detracts from the show kinda.

I couldn't bring myself to watch more than four-episodes of that series. It was like well-made and stuff, but it wasn't engaging at all to me, left me feeling cold more than anything else.

Space Dandy 1 Sub

Hmm This first episode left me feeling rather cold. The humor didn't really hit for me and there was only the thinnest excuse for a plot in this episode. Which really left only the animation and direction which were superb. I'll still stick with it until the end since its Watanabe and the premise has the potential to do some truly incredible things visually speaking.

I recently finished Utena, including Adolescence Apocalypse, and I'm looking for some good articles on the series. Any recommendations?

cnet128

Banned
Nobunagun 1

Well, that was...interesting.

You can definitely tell that the VA for the main character is a newcomer, she has that distinct not-quite-professional-yet quality to her voice. Kind of reminds me of Omigawa Chiaki back when she made her debut in Soul Eater for some reason. I think it works for the character though.

There's something about the production that feels a little...soulless, for want of a better word. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, could be the direction, or the OST, or the animation, or a combination of any of the above, but it feels like something is slightly lacking. It's not awful, but it bugs me a little. The show does try to differentiate itself visually, though. It has a quirk of bringing up little text labels for things on screen, which is kind of cute, and it also likes to do this weird thing where it overlays things (people, shadows, areas of the screen...) with fancy flowery patterns for no discernible reason. It's odd, but looks kind of pretty I guess?

As for the events of the episode, they're decent enough. We're introduced to our cute MC, who is clearly a massive military otaku (as identified by her keeping models of tanks and stuff around her room, "shooting" things with imaginary guns, and randomly identifying military aircraft...) She doesn't seem to fit in or have any friends, but there's a cute moment in this episode where Kaoru, a popular girl from her class, goes out of her way to try and make friends with her (clear yuri goggles potential between these two).

And then their school trip to Taiwan is suddenly interrupted by
an attack from a random giant mechanical monster thing and there's this guy with a Jack the Ripper weapon fighting it but he gets beat up and then MC girl picks up his weapon device thing and summons the maniacally laughing spirit of Oda Nobunaga as a gun
. So that's not weird at all.

It was cute how Shio (that's the MC's name) was all determined to
go and rescue Kaoru in the midst of all the chaos when the poor girl's supposed friends had just left her behind to die
(yuri goggles at full blast here). Though after
summoning the titular Nobunagun
she looked less determined and more just plain unhinged.

Show could already do with less of the "control room" scenes where people look at monitors and some old woman stands on an elevated Balcony Tower of Importance looking stony-faced and giving generic orders and commentary.

Soyeah, overall wasn't super impressed with this episode, but it has potential. Will keep watching for now and see how it goes. I hope somebody fights using the spirit of Hitler.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki S2

FUCK YES IT'S BACK

AND SO MUCH GODDAMN HYPE
KX6dPwNl.jpg

nZXIdcvl.jpg

I was giggling throughout that entire scene. If this aired like 6 days earlier, I probably would make Saki my #1 based simply on this moment. lol

When you think about it, this is a moment that really only works on television. It's like when someone from Buffy shows up on Angel or when Thomas Riker shows up on Deep Space Nine or countless other numbers of franchise crossovers that only work because television shows are long running enough to build up the narrative weight of having multiple characters and multiple shows conspiring to meet up in the most calculated and contrived manner possible.

Marvel tried it with Agents of Poop, but this five second scene - WHICH HAPPENED FROM THE OTHER PERSPECTIVE IN Saki Side-A - embodies that amazing Franchise Connectedness Moment so perfectly.

I was just talking about that with a friend right now, so fucking cool!

Also had to change my avatar to hype up the season and best OTP, but damn it I'm having Jubilee withdrawals right now. :lol

duckroll

Nobunagun - Episode 1

8k3uX5t.jpg

These filters...

Yeah I dunno about this. It's really weird, the direction uses techniques which work sometimes but mostly feel like a mess. Jojo style colors, animated pattern filters, really flat art direction which makes everything look like a manga or drawing at times, the visuals just make it so distracting to watch. The biggest flaw in the manga is how it's really hard to tell wtf is going on at times because of confusing layouts, and I think instead of correcting that, the anime decided to double down on it instead. Kinda... awkward. >_<

---

Witch Craft Works - Episode 1

Hey, I actually enjoyed this! It's fucking insane over the top nonsense, and it was funny as hell. The entire set up is so LN it hurts, but the way the events unfolded I found that I really didn't give a crap about how bad the story is because the gags worked for it. Killer bunnies, random witch wars, the way the two main characters interact, it's definitely a case of hitting the right boundary of "so stupid it's hilarious" right now. Hopefully Mizushima can keep it that way. The ED is soooooooo cute. :D

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 19

New gothic lolita vampire girl friend. My only real familiarity with how vampires operate is with Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines, which I played some of, and if John DiMaggio's character in that was accurate, this girl was fucking it up. Sunshine kills, but she only has a parasol. Fire is real trouble, yet she's fucking with candles and lighting her dorm on fire. What if somebody volunteers to have her suck their blood? What would she do? Bite them? I'm pretty sure she'd get chewed out for that.

Jintor

Michiko to Hatchin 02

Michiko laying out the plot of the story, and she's got her own personal Zenigata except she's a foxy blaxploitation afro chick who may or may not be in lesbians with her. Awesome. Hatchin's padre is totes mad lol.

The show has a very distinct feeling of direction which I appreciate. Very Bebop/Champloo kind of vibe.

jgminto

Nobunagun 1

Pretty cool first ep I thought, I'm down for more.

Nobunagun - Episode 1

Yeah I dunno about this. It's really weird, the direction uses techniques which work sometimes but mostly feel like a mess. Jojo style colors, animated pattern filters, really flat art direction which makes everything look like a manga or drawing at times, the visuals just make it so distracting to watch. The biggest flaw in the manga is how it's really hard to tell wtf is going on at times because of confusing layouts, and I think instead of correcting that, the anime decided to double down on it instead. Kinda... awkward. >_<

I definitely got Jojo 2012 vibes, all dat purple.

Gazoinks

Michiko to Hatchin 01

I like MtH, but yeah the family is pretty stupid. They get swept under the rug pretty quickly, though.

The Eccentric Family 2:
Another solid episode, this time with the introduction or fleshing out of Yasaburo's family. His mother seems pretty awesome. I absolutely love her outfit and the whole Prince identity. It's pretty great, and it's interesting to hear the voice actor's performance completely turn from one scene to another. Yaichiro is also hilarious in terms of how high strung he is. I really enjoyed him freaking out near the climax of the episode when they're planning to split up.

Also, any episode that has
a tanuki transformed into a giant lion getting bit in the balls
can only end well. I love how crazy this show can be, but in a very sincere way, such that even the characters thinking about how
their dad was part of a stew
can be a touching moment.

Gbraga

I never had to not get caught, I guess my school was pretty liberal. We had a study room where people would go when they didn't want to study, so we would do all kinds of shit there. Mostly sleeping though, nothing that creative.

Kaiji 1-4

Man this character is so lame compared to Akagi. Jeez, hopefully he takes a level in badass real fucking soon.

I find Kaiji the more interesting character, because he's not so confident and so cool that he easily succeeds at everything he does without breaking a sweat. There's more tension and drama with Kaiji because he's so often barely squeezing by against incredible odds.

I find Kaiji the more interesting character, because he's not so confident and so cool that he easily succeeds at everything he does without breaking a sweat. There's more tension and drama with Kaiji because he's so often barely squeezing by against incredible odds.

I'd agree there is more tension and drama. But I liked Akagi because of seeing him toy with all the characters by exploiting their psychological weaknesses.

Right now Kaiji hasn't done anything noteworthy. He isn't intelligent. He isn't good at reading people. He doesn't even seem particular good at gambling.

Seitokai Yakuindomo S2 1

More lewd girls saying lewd things and thats just fine with me. It seemed like they received a budget increase from the first season. There were some really nice cuts of animation throughout the episode though there was also some really distracting CGI hallways.

So whatever happened to the bushido road series that was supposed to come out awhile ago, was delayed and set to come out in the fall but got delayed again.

fertygo

You gonna appreciate Akagi character more if you playing Mahjong IMO, and the idea what kind of ultimate mahjong player that Fukumoto intending him to be.

Also reading Ten the original manga that he first made appearance.. he just old man in there, and he became so famous and having his own spinoff and the final act Ten basically about him.. Ten's ending is one of the most powerful thing that I seen in fiction. Fukumoto is really exceptional mangaka.

duckroll

Noragami - Episode 1

That was much better than I expected. The pacing was pretty good, and while the characters seem pretty generic, the show is well produced. Humor kinda works, action is good, backgrounds are nice. It's pretty funny how the girl at the start of the episode looked like Maka in Soul Eater, and the main girl in the show looks so much like Chitanda from Hyouka. I swear I've seen all the characters in the OP before in one shounen manga or another. Lolz. Hope it stays exciting to watch in future episodes too. :)

zeroshiki

Happy New Year AnimeGAF. I have watched no anime since the start of the New Year holidays and need to get on it if I want to get my vote in for AOTY.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So zeroshiki, do you dip your sushi in soy sauce???

Defuser

Nobunaga the Fool ep 1

Something tells me I'm gonna to enjoy this. This show looks like it can go full on trainwreck like all the other satellite kawamori shows.

Gazoinks

Nobunagun 1

Not bad. The weirdly garish art seems kind of out of place in this series, and the thing with the flower overlays on the characters were really distracting. Also it kept doing text pop-ups for whatever reason. It's like Scott Pilgrim and Jojo adopted Soul Eater.

Anyway, the episode itself was entertaining. Sio seems like a fun protagonist, and the idea of historical figures as weapons will hopefully give us some pretty hilarious match-ups. Will apply the Madoka rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom