• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

But RahXephon is good and stands the test of time. It hearkens back to a time when BONES didn't suck.

Yes. And?

You responded to Corvo, who was talking about Macross, by saying that you didn't know what he was talking about and that you remembered Robotech fondly. I was just pointing out that a fondness for Robotech doesn't necessarily carry over to Macross, since Robotech is only partially made up of dubbed/spliced episodes of Macross (mixed with other things).

Huh, really? It wouldn't even enter my top 50 problems with those.

Some might say the J-Pop was the only redeeming quality of those two shows :p

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
But the Zentradi are literally just a shitty evil alien race that wants to conquer the universe but is currently being sidetracked by boners from TV. The pacing in Macross ISN'T better than Tomino's. The only thing Macross has is a better representation of women, and MSG isn't the show where Tomino's severe hatred for women comes into play, as all of the women in MSG are notably more competent than their successors.

To the point, in fact, where no one girl in MSG is anywhere near as horrible as Lynn Minmay. Kaifun may not be ever present, but since Minmay became an extension of him, and she's everywhere, it's just as bad.

Lynn Minmay is a good character though. Also if you honestly think MSG pacing is better than SDF Macross than I have to say we don't have a difference of opinion but you are just plain wrong.:p

Also Robotech and Macross are pretty much the same thing because nobody actually likes S2 and S3 of Robotech.

Yozakura Quartet - 7/8

Well, that escalated quickly.

Guess it's finally time for Hoshi no Umi.

Also, is it just me, or was the animation a little bit janky in episode 8?

LordCanti

Lynn Minmay is a good character though. Also if you honestly think MSG pacing is better than SDF Macross than I have to say we don't have a difference of opinion but you are just plain wrong.:p

Also Robotech and Macross are pretty much the same thing because nobody actually likes S2 and S3 of Robotech.

Minmay is the worst.

How close were Robotech S1 and Macross? Robotech is obviously dubbed, but I always thought that the plot had been messed with as well. I loved Robotech as a kid, but Macross is the only one I've ever gone back and watched.

wonzo

Banned
Magi S2 13 Fight

A fight so good it almost makes me want to finish up the first season and catch up. Almost.

Yozakura Quartet - 7/8

Well, that escalated quickly.

Guess it's finally time for Hoshi no Umi.

Also, is it just me, or was the animation a little bit janky in episode 8?
That's because it was outsourced. :(

Theonik

Lucky Star 1
At least it's fun to make fun of.
Lucky Star is actually a shot that becomes a lot better after they switched directors especially. It might also be an acquired taste though.

I am prepared for several months of not being able to tell the 2 shows about Nobunaga apart.
It will be even worse when people begin giving them nicknames in here.

The problem with scriptwriters is that they have to use words.
wwwwwww888888888 #dead

Wait, what?
It's a compliment if I ever saw one.

zeroshiki

Minmay is the worst.

How close were Robotech S1 and Macross? Robotech is obviously dubbed, but I always thought that the plot had been messed with as well. I loved Robotech as a kid, but Macross is the only one I've ever gone back and watched.

The Macross part of Robotech is nearly identical to SDF Macross with only a couple of edits here and there, name changes, changes in the concept of protoculture and music.

Quasar

Because of CR getting the new live action drama of Itazura na kiss, I decided to sample the first two episodes of the anime. Have to say...fuck Naoki. Hate that guy. He should die in a fire.

Because of CR getting the new live action drama of Itazura na kiss, I decided to sample the first two episodes of the anime. Have to say...fuck Naoki. Hate that guy. He should die in a fire.

From what I watched, it has all the things I hate in shoujo romances amped up to 11. I couldn't stand douchebag love interest who excels in everything and just happens to treats the MC like shit.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 End

It's a shame that the last batch of episodes were the weakest since the opening. They weren't bad, really, just not amazing like pretty much everything in the middle stretch.
The main problem is that Aryan Space Queen and Blue Hitler were both mediocre characters, and coming off Space Wolf, their flatness stood out all the stronger. I don't really have a problem with the resurrection at the end, because Yamato always had those near-magical parts.

If we're ranking waifus I'd go...Alien Yuki and college-era Blue? I don't know, they were all alright. Except the fivehead witch. She was the worst.

fertygo

You can bash SDF all you can Corvo, but don't you speak ill to the music.. that's what people relate to the franchise the most.

Time for some anime impression

Space Dandy - 01
Yeah the first half sucked, not enough life and hometown I rather staring akito2.gif for 12 minute.

The 2nd half are amazeballs though, some of best sakuga in years.. holy cow.

Tonari no Seki-kun

This is amazing, someone create an OT pls
Best OP/ED too.

Yamato 23

Norran you beautiful bastard.
The Gamillian opposition is dead, Yuki has been saved by Kodai what else is there left to do other than go to Iscander. Yet there are another 3 episode. Hmmmm somethings fishy.

LordCanti

Nobunagun 01:

Fuck these anime things, it's time for the realest shit: J-drama.

I wonder what the best new show is.

I don't know what I expected.

zeroshiki

I realize this is super late and was discussed to death last week but I'm against movies and series being split in the AOTY (especially since I was semi confident that Wolf Children would win). K-On got in 10th last year and the well known movies got enough discussion, I thought.

However, I understand the reasoning for the split and, well, since the thread is already there, I can't really do anything about it anymore.

I just really need to catch up on a ton of shows to build a list now -_-

Nobunagun 01

What on Earth was this? It didn't seem to know whether it wanted to be a high school anime, a historical anime, or a science fiction anime. But despite the fact that it was kind of all over the place, it was still surprisingly entertaining. Some of the character designs were approaching atrocious (Jack the Ripper was especially bland).

Mature

Just watch the films, don't subject yourself to the TV series.
Well, but, if there's a consensus (however minor) that the OG MSG is better than SDFM, I feel sort of obligated to. I really enjoy SDFM and I just watched it again only last year. So maybe I just have a good tolerance for older stuff? At any rate, It'd be nice to be able to throw my hat into the ring of conversations about the two.

LordCanti

Nobunagun 01

What on Earth was this? It didn't seem to know whether it wanted to be a high school anime, a historical anime, or a science fiction anime. But despite the fact that it was kind of all over the place, it was still surprisingly entertaining. Some of the character designs were approaching atrocious (Jack the Ripper was especially bland).

Bland is a nice word for what that was. From the character designs to the monster and weapon designs, bland. The fight, bland.

Well, but, if there's a consensus (however minor) that the OG MSG is better than SDFM, I feel sort of obligated to. I really enjoy SDFM and I just watched it again only last year. So maybe I just have a good tolerance for older stuff? At any rate, It'd be nice to be able to throw my hat into the ring of conversations about the two.

Gundam is on Blu-Ray now, so you've picked a nice time to rewatch if you're going to check it out as well.

Nobunaga the Fool - 01

Some people have brought up the CG mechs in this one as a reason to steer clear of it but in all honesty I thought they looked pretty stellar. It's rare I think for a studio to pull off a sense of weight when using frequent CG robots, either whatever is attempting to be animated moves too quickly or does so in a way that's very jarring compared to whatever traditional 2D animation also accompanies it. I didn't feel like the mechs in this were inherently disconnected from the show though, they moved and seemed to operate within the same laws every other character in the show did and it's a pretty refreshing thing to see.

I can't speak for the cringe worthy dialogue ("AM I LAUGHING OR AM I CRYING?) or the sort of hamfisted way they took generic female protagonist from hometown farm lands to completely different planet in multiple off screen jumps, the show definitely seems to have some issues, but none of those issues I think are related to the visuals employed. Its CG sequences are damn pretty.

7NBMP9X.jpg

Defuser

Space Dandy ep 1

Not exactly feeling this show, the first half was lacklustre while the second half although with the omg sakuga! doesn't exactly capture me. Too many people over hype this show. I better hope the future episodes are able to do better than this.

LordCanti

Space Dandy ep 1

Not exactly feeling this show, the first half was lacklustre while the second half although with the omg sakuga! doesn't exactly capture me. Too many people over hype this show. I better hope the future episodes are able to do better than this.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm actually going to care about the story and that there's going to be more for me in this show than the visuals.

Defuser

Is it really that hard to just ignore all anime hype? It only leads to disappointment even if the show turns out good.
I didn't buy into the hype, I was more irritated by the circlejerk of people who thinks watanabe is da God because they refused let go their nostalgia of cowboy bebop and probably complain anime is dead because Moe is killing it and there's no good show after that.

fertygo

man, she's just a bad Saber rip off, even their pose for megami mag is the same thing!!! not that Saber design is great...

at least the character is different enough so far I guess...

lulz

Btw like it or not, Saber design is very iconic IMO (up to you to decide if it on good way or bad way)
That make her one of the most successful poster girl in anime media.
I didn't buy into the hype, I was more irritated by the circlejerk of people who thinks watanabe is da God because they refused let go their nostalgia of cowboy bebop and probably complain anime is dead because Moe is killing it and there's no good show after that.

Wegotbadbadassoverhere.jpg

At least Dandy already had better episode than anything KLK put out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
all this yamato watching makes me wanna replay infinite space. best space rpg ever.

http://86bb71d19d3bcb79effc-d9e6924...ploads/2010/03/infinite-space-wallpaper-2.jpg
Star Control 2 is still the best. Certainly it feels like everything, including Infinite Space and Mass Effect, borrowed from it.

Side-A is bad, you didn't miss much. It actually undermines the main conflict of the series.
How? The whole point is their meeting, which doesn't happen anyway. The only thing that it ruins is the idea of who makes it to the finals, but given the premise of Saki, even that isn't really "ruined" in any way.

Gbraga

Ep1 felt kinda like a really boring dude writing about crazy stuff a more interesting guy thought up. :(

That is true, reading the impressions from people who liked the show is more exciting than the actual writing.

That said it was still interesting and I can't wait to see where they take this.

How? The whole point is their meeting, which doesn't happen anyway. The only thing that it ruins is the idea of who makes it to the finals, but given the premise of Saki, even that isn't really "ruined" in any way.
The big bad of the series, the one this episode even spends a bunch of time hyping up, loses to the scrub spin off characters.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nobunagun 01

So this is more like Nobunaga the Fool then first realized then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The big bad of the series, the one this episode even spends a bunch of time hyping up, loses to the scrub spin off characters.
Yeah, but that's only because in their own book,
they need to have some measure of victory before they are crushed when the finals are shown in the mainline book.

I mean, and I don't think this is a spoiler but more of just a logical assumption based on how people write sports anime,
we all assume that Saki and her team will win the whole thing and presumably Saki will make up with Teru, right? That Girls und Panzer basically just did Saki but with Tanks instead of mahjong?
It's just going to take several more years to get there because of Kobayashi's slow ass pacing and schedule. lol

Noragami 01

This ... was thoroughly enjoyable! The music was subtle but accompanied the moods during the first action scene and final talking one pretty competently. I'm definitely a fan of whatever trance style dance music they used during the fights. Beyond that the humor was spot on and there were multiple moments in the show that made me chuckle or smile. The main characters are thoroughly interesting and the dialogue between their interactions totally doesn't suck, which is a nice change from everything else I've watched today.

It's hard to say how this show is going to turn out given Bones being Bones but I probably enjoyed Noragami's first episode more so than Dandy's first overall, it was certainly more consistently enjoyable.

Tonari no Seki-Kun 01

The humor didn't really do much for me here, I kept waiting to get to a punch line that I felt like was never adequately delivered.

This comes off as an unnecessarily antagonistic post. It feels like you're taking the criticism towards a show or property you like as some sort of personal attack on yourself.

lulz

Btw like it or not, Saber design is very iconic IMO (up to you to decide if it on good way or bad way)
That make her one of the most successful poster girl in anime media.

I agree wholeheartedly. I was so hyped for Kill la Kill but that show fell flat on its face. The fights were disappointing, and the plot was meh and the fan service is simply unbearable. No in fact its disgusting. The show was funny at some points and the OST was good but I dropped it at ep4/5.

Space Dandy right now seems a bit anti-climatic but hopefully soon we will find out about the overarching plot.

Gbraga

KLK really was a big letdown, it has great style and the soundtrack is awesome, but after episode 3 it just got boring as shit. I'm glad I didn't drop it though, because the last episode was incredible and gave me hope for the future of the series, it may become something amazing.

Also Blumenkranz is so best.

Yeah, but that's only because in their own book,
they need to have some measure of victory before they are crushed when the finals are shown in the mainline book.

I mean, and I don't think this is a spoiler but more of just a logical assumption based on how people write sports anime,
we all assume that Saki and her team will win the whole thing and presumably Saki will make up with Teru, right? That Girls und Panzer basically just did Saki but with Tanks instead of mahjong?
It's just going to take several more years to get there because of Kobayashi's slow ass pacing and schedule. lol

I agree with your assumptions.
It just didn't sit well with me that they actually beat Shiraitodai. Placing 2nd and making the finals should have been enough. What if Kuromori had lost to some other team before the finale in Girls und Panzer, wouldn't that have been lame too? Though some of this comes from me not liking the Achiga characters very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom