• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Nobunaga the Fool - Episode 1

Kawamori has some really powerful drugs. Too bad he doesn't have a really powerful script writer. :p

fertygo

Nobunaga the Fool - Episode 1

Kawamori has some really powerful drugs. Too bad he doesn't have a really powerful script writer. :p

He should working together with Okouchi, write it together in USA.. Marijuana already legal on there. So they shouldn't worried with their stocks.

CorvoSol

Buddy Complex 1

"Nice Coupling" Bwahahahahaaha. This show is dumb. And not in the Nobunaga awesome dumb way. Just dumb. But the animation isn't half bad, so I'll give it a whirl.

Jarmel

Banned
Nobunagun- 1

Reminds me of Kurozuka, weirdly enough. That's partly due to the color filters but also the tone of the show. It's weirdly dark and psychotic.

Nodame Cantabile Finale 01

W1xzGv7l.jpg

I rather liked Nodame's struggles in this episode. From feeling that she is being left behind in both relationship and music and her struggle in remembering to change the battery.

zeroshiki

With how popular the first series turned out, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 2nd AKB0048. All that Kawamori-Okada goodness.

CorvoSol

SDF Macross 25

So I cannot accept that this episode was better animated than an episode of MSG, which is sad, because MSG came out what, 20 years prior? I'm sorry but that knife fight at the beginning was AWFUL. Milia's face was all over the place, and Max's janky moves and then the crazy twirling flight when they decide to be in love was just uuuuugh.

It isn't just the knife fight, though. Every one is off model the entire episode. Hikaru laughs at Max and tells him that love is a pipe dream (because he's bitter because LYNN MINMAY IS FUCKING HER FIRST COUSIN PEOPLE, TRY NOT TO FORGET THAT) and when he does Hikaru's eyes turn into these hellish little beads. The whole episode looks this way, like the animators just did not care this week.

The whole episode is sort of surreal because of it. Max presents Milia to Hikaru and Hikaru FLIPS THE TABLE then he is suddenly animated seated exactly as he was while speaking to Max, then he's standing and talking to Max about talking to the captain, and then he's sitting again.

I'm willing to bet that part of this is that Kaifun literally murdered any respect I had for this show, and that Kawamori's involvement perhaps poisoned another aspect, but in the end this episode is just really, really bad and makes me long for a time when Macross didn't suck.

LordCanti

SDF Macross 25

So I cannot accept that this episode was better animated than an episode of MSG, which is sad, because MSG came out what, 20 years prior? I'm sorry but that knife fight at the beginning was AWFUL. Milia's face was all over the place, and Max's janky moves and then the crazy twirling flight when they decide to be in love was just uuuuugh.

It isn't just the knife fight, though. Every one is off model the entire episode. Hikaru laughs at Max and tells him that love is a pipe dream (because he's bitter because LYNN MINMAY IS FUCKING HER FIRST COUSIN PEOPLE, TRY NOT TO FORGET THAT) and when he does Hikaru's eyes turn into these hellish little beads. The whole episode looks this way, like the animators just did not care this week.

The whole episode is sort of surreal because of it. Max presents Milia to Hikaru and Hikaru FLIPS THE TABLE then he is suddenly animated seated exactly as he was while speaking to Max, then he's standing and talking to Max about talking to the captain, and then he's sitting again.

I'm willing to bet that part of this is that Kaifun literally murdered any respect I had for this show, and that Kawamori's involvement perhaps poisoned another aspect, but in the end this episode is just really, really bad and makes me long for a time when Macross didn't suck.

OG Macross is...not great. It's really not.

I'm a huge sucker for old ass space anime (Harlock, Galaxy Express, Gundam, Yamato, etc) and Macross is at the bottom of that barrel.

Edit: You don't mean Mobile Suit Gundam when you write MSG do you? You've got the wrong idea about when each was animated if so.

Quasar

Noragami ep 1

The production and visuals are nice not to mention the action are great. Will continue to watch.

I'm interested enough to watch more even if it turns out to be god assembles team to solve supernatural crime.

it looked and sounded nice enough to watch a couple more episodes.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

I'm a huge sucker for old ass space anime (Harlock, Galaxy Express, Gundam, Yamato, etc) and Macross is at the bottom of that barrel.

SDF Macross is better than all of those shows.

Not even sure what universe you are in honestly.;p

CorvoSol

Which is a shame, because there are parts of it that aren't that bad. But the moment Kaifun is introduced the show suffers an enormous decrease in quality.

Wait, what?

I don't know how long it was between MSG and SDFM so I'm gambling on somewhere between 10 to 20 years. It's a confidence interval.

SDFM better than MSG? Bwahahahahahahahaha. Please. Mobile Suit Gundam has its flaws, but it's not the train wreck SDFM has become since Kaifun's introduction.

zeroshiki

@Corvo: I have no idea what you're talking about. Robotech is perfect in my memories, especially anything to do with the awesomeness that is Max and Millia.

CorvoSol

@Corvo: I have no idea what you're talking about. Robotech is perfect in my memories, especially anything to do with the awesomeness that is Max and Millia.

The memory is a magical place which allows people to believe that shit like Rah Xephon and 00 and Victory are all good shows. SDFM isn't as bad as them, but that knife fight hurt to watch.

wonzo

Banned
Witch Craft Works 1

witchcraftw1a.jpg

I gave this another chance by swallowing my disgust at the CG Medusa and I'm glad I did as Mizushima's done a bang up job refining this almost LN tier schlock into something entertaining and fun to watch. It really helps they've upped the pacing and trimmed the fat from the source material.

I was worried about the use of CG in this but they did a good job with the bunnies and the fire effects look much better in motion. I'll definitely stick with this for now.

oh and that ed

I don't know how long it was between MSG and SDFM so I'm gambling on somewhere between 10 to 20 years. It's a confidence interval.
MSG looks pretty good for a show from the early 60s then.

I rewatched SDF Macross in Summer 2013 and it held up really well, still loved it.

LordCanti

Do You Remember Love (the movie) is quite good, but the TV show is kind of a trainwreck. At the time it was probably awesome, but watching it now is painful.

I AM NOT A SMART PERSON OKAY?

Did you think Gundam was animated in the fifties, or that Macross was animated in the nineties?

Robotech and Macross aren't the same thing.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
SDFM better than MSG? Bwahahahahahahahaha. Please. Mobile Suit Gundam has its flaws, but it's not the train wreck SDFM has become since Kaifun's introduction.
MSG is a series where a significant number of the episodes are MOTW and has much worse production values and pacing than SDF Macross. Kaifun does suck but he's such a small part of the series compared to the rest of the awesomeness it has on offer. SDF Macross is basically a classic space opera in the vein of Star Wars with awesome fighter-jet mechas, j-pop music, cool well-developed villains with a interesting backstory and a fun love triangle sub-plot.

Even the MSG movies don't compare to SDF Macross. And of course there's DYRL.

CorvoSol

MSG is a series where a significant number of the episodes are MOTW and has much worse production values and pacing than SDF Macross. Kaifun does suck but he's such a small part of the series compared to the rest of the awesomeness it has on offer. SDF Macross is basically a classic space opera in the vein of Star Wars with awesome fighter-jet mechas, j-pop music, cool well-developed villains with a interesting backstory and a fun love triangle sub-plot.

Even the MSG movies don't compare to SDF Macross. And of course there's DYRL.

Hahahaha.

Gazoinks

From the New World 8

Well this was a dreary episode.
Relationship problems, growing apart, Shun being... something, and cats!
Fun times. Really curious to see where the story's going to go now.

You know it's a time skip because their hair is longer.

CorvoSol

If you don't like any of those things then you are lost.. as in they're the main appeal of the series.;p

It's love triangle is at least far better than the pathetic char/amuro/lahlah triangle in MSG. :)

No, you see, that's where you're wrong. There IS no love triangle in Mobile Suit Gundam and the love triangles in Macross aren't fun, they're terrible, angsty, and overbearing. The villains in Macross are "cool" but the ones in Gundam aren't? Hey at least Ramba Ral got out there and fought. What's Britai done in the last 10 episodes? What's his little gremlin's backstory and since when don't the villains in MSG have back stories? Ral, the Black Tri Stars, M'Quve, Garma, all of them have back stories. Oh, yeah, like all Zentradi he's been busy watching JPOP on TV.

And last I checked JPOP is the number one reason people slam SEED and Destiny.

SDFM better than MSG. Hahaha. Maybe if the second half of the show hadn't been so awful. Maybe if we were comparing Zeta to SDFM. Maybe if the love triangle had been just Misa, Hikaru, Minmay and not Hikaru, Minmay and Kaifun. Maybe. But even then, we're talking about a show where TV induced boners destroyed an enemy fleet's will to fight. You don't compare this to Gundam.

Yamato 21

Kodai was so close :(

Going all rambo and shit was to useless. Really curious to see the Iscandarians planet since they considered the highest by pretty much all life forms (maybe its because they are nice to everyone).

Mature

With a lot of the shitting on SDFMacross that's been going on and the subsequent comparisons to MSG, I think it's time I give it a go.

CorvoSol

With a lot of the shitting on SDFMacross that's been going on and the subsequent comparisons to MSG, I think it's time I give it a go.

I thought you'd seen SDFM? Also it's not good to start a show because you see people complaining about it because the complaints can influence your thoughts on a thing.

Quasar

Speaking of Macross, I was listening to some podcast...Anime New World Order maybe...and some mentioned a new Macross movie that came out in the last few years. Just what was it?

Beyond Robotech my Macross memories are pretty vague. Though I think I did watch Macross 2 and Macros Plus ( or maybe Frontier).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
No, you see, that's where you're wrong. There IS no love triangle in Mobile Suit Gundam and the love triangles in Macross aren't fun, they're terrible, angsty, and overbearing. The villains in Macross are "cool" but the ones in Gundam aren't? Hey at least Ramba Ral got out there and fought. What's Britai done in the last 10 episodes? What's his little gremlin's backstory and since when don't the villains in MSG have back stories? Ral, the Black Tri Stars, M'Quve, Garma, all of them have back stories. Oh, yeah, like all Zentradi he's been busy watching JPOP on TV.

And last I checked JPOP is the number one reason people slam SEED and Destiny.

SDFM better than MSG. Hahaha.

Macross is not Macross without JPOP. Stop being silly man, I don't care if you don't like JPOP but it's integral to the appeal of the franchise for a lot of fans!

I wasn't saying Gundam had bad villains.. in fact the main things I have against Gundam is tomino's terrible writing and sense of pacing, terrible female representation.. all of which Macross does better, despite the fact it's writing never really goes higher than cheesy space opera pulp, but on it's own merits it does what it's trying to do really well, especially in DYRL which goes all the way in how it captures that bombastic space opera atmosphere.

And you don't have to have a backstory to be a well-developed villian. The Zentradi are just standard grunt aliens, but their lore humanizes them and makes them more than just some 'shitty evil alien race that wants to conquer the universe"

CorvoSol

Macross is not Macross without JPOP. Stop being silly man, I don't care if you don't like JPOP but it's integral to the appeal of the franchise for a lot of fans!

I wasn't saying Gundam had bad villains.. in fact the main things I have against Gundam is, tomino's terrible writing and sense of pacing, terrible female representation.. all of which Macross does better, despite the fact it's writing never really goes higher than cheesy space opera pulp, but on it's own merits it does what it's trying to do really well, especially in DYRL which goes all the way in how it captures that bombastic space opera atmosphere.

And you don't have to have a backstory to be a well-developed villian. The Zentradi are just standard grunt aliens, but their lore humanizes them and makes them more than just some 'shitty evil alien race that wants to conquer the universe"

But the Zentradi are literally just a shitty evil alien race that wants to conquer the universe but is currently being sidetracked by boners from TV. The pacing in Macross ISN'T better than Tomino's. The only thing Macross has is a better representation of women, and MSG isn't the show where Tomino's severe hatred for women comes into play, as all of the women in MSG are notably more competent than their successors.

To the point, in fact, where no one girl in MSG is anywhere near as horrible as Lynn Minmay. Kaifun may not be ever present, but since Minmay became an extension of him, and she's everywhere, it's just as bad.

Pooya

I watched SDF Macross when I was like 10 and it was the most amazing thing back then, better than any Gundam ;p

LordCanti

I wasn't saying Gundam had bad villains.. in fact the main things I have against Gundam is tomino's terrible writing and sense of pacing, terrible female representation.. all of which Macross does better, despite the fact it's writing never really goes higher than cheesy space opera pulp, but on it's own merits it does what it's trying to do really well, especially in DYRL which goes all the way in how it captures that bombastic space opera atmosphere.

Terrible female representation? There are strong (as strong as the men anyway) women in the original Gundam from the beginning. Frau, Sayla, Mirai, etc. Sayla handles communications (and fights, eventually), Mirai pilots the White Base, etc. They come into contact with female officers (Matilda), enemies (like Rambal Ral's wife), and some of the most important people are women (Kycillia Zabi).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom