• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

I've been thoroughly entertained by KLK. The only complaint I can muster is that it didn't do the Gurren Lagann thing and turn into
another show entirely
, or hasn't yet anyway.

The little moments between Mako/her family and Ryuko are fantastic, Stupid Sexy Sensei is a boss, and the fights have mostly not disappointed me. The world is interesting, there are interesting characters we've only just met or have only kind of just seen/barely heard from, and I'm hopeful that it's going to an awesome place from here.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Episode 13:

Well then, I don't think any of expected this to turn into an episode of Diamond No Ace. I am just glad they didn't start talking about defensive walls and getting prepared for summer training. Anyway, the extended ship-teasing is starting to grate on the nerves as Sei is just veering into dense anime protagonist syndrome and Iroi just needs to spit the words out at this point. thew Reiji-Aila interaction just bore me since I don't think Reiji is attracted to her, and not the stupid tsundere dance that Aila is playing, like he really don't give a shit about the girl with the Eureka Seven fashion sense. Meanwhile, the tournament continues and we get mostly jobber matches and the continuing saga of Chairman McMachon staking the deck for Stone Cold Reiji and Seikind. All and all it was an alright episode, better then last time but not as good as episode 11.

Theonik

Space☆Dandy 01
ibfu2k8k8PcExy.png

Narag acting casual.
This was in line with what everyone should have expected really.
An OK introductory episode introducing what we need to know about the Dandyverse.
The cliff-hanger at the end was interesting in how they plan to go from here.

Gbraga

Space☆Dandy 01

This was in line with what everyone should have expected really.
An OK introductory episode introducing what we need to know about the Dandyverse.
The cliff-hanger at the end was interesting in how they plan to go from here.

Yeah, a friend of mine asked what I thought (since he was unable to watch it at the moment) and what I said was basically "It was fun as an introduction to the universe of this series, so as long as it gets more interesting in the next episodes it can be very good". If every episode is like this one the show could get boring though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Valvrave was a show that just didn't give a damn and went all out with its madness.

Clearly Nobunaga is doing the same thing, given what we've seen.

I actually do not agree with that since it still wants us to take it seriously as a samurai epic as well, which is a whole new level of dumb.

Hope it is ok to ask for recommendations here...

I am almost finished with Toradora, this is the first anime of this style (I suppose you would call it romantic comedy) that I have loved and watched the whole way through. Are there any other series that AnimeGaf would suggest for me to check out?

I adored the comedy and how every character was unique, great character building too. Would love to find some more amazing series in this genre.

Yamato 2199 - 10

Damn you could cut the tension in the air with a knife

*Legendary bow to both captains*

As for who started it first, i'm willing to bet that both are lying

But this episode wasn't without surprises since my predictions
on "who is the alien?" is
beginning to shift.

Excellent episode , again.

I am almost finished with Toradora, this is the first anime of this style (I suppose you would call it romantic comedy) that I have loved and watched the whole way through. Are there any other series that AnimeGaf would suggest for me to check out?

I adored the comedy and how every character was unique, great character building too. Would love to find some more amazing series in this genre.

If you're fin with an unfinished ( it's currently airing ) anime , you could try "golden time" , it's by the same guy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Golden Time.

Lovely Complex.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Ouran High School Host Club

Yamato 2199 - 11

I'm hoping that the seeds have been planted sucessfully.

So the reveal is there ,
Humanity attacked first ! But i don't think it would have changed anything since the garmilans planned to subject everyone or wipe them out

Regardless, what morons to attack before knowing your opponents intentions...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm currently catching up on Non Non. Watched episodes 6 and 7 yesterday.

May put it on my top 10 list, not sure yet.

OceanBlue

Do we have any "cute girls healing your soul" shows this season?

I miss Non Non Biyori already :C

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha might be that show this season. I enjoy the manga so I hope the anime is good as well. Well, it isn't "cute girls healing your soul" in the same way Non Non Biyori is.

Firemind

Nodame Cantabile
KareKano
Fruits Basket

Gbraga

I'm currently catching up on Non Non. Watched episodes 6 and 7 yesterday.

May put it on my top 10 list, not sure yet.

You're close to witnessing the beauty of Secret Best Girl Candy Store.

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha might be that show this season. I enjoy the manga so I hope the anime is good as well. Well, it isn't "cute girls healing your soul" in the same way Non Non Biyori is.

Looks cute! Thanks, I'll definitely watch it :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nobunagun Episode 1:

Okay, this is the tone that Nobunaga The Fool should be striking, over the top goofy stupidity, it makes the dumbness of everything go down much easier. I would say this show looks better since it lacks the awful CGI but this series went to the GoHands school of filter abuse and my eyes feel a bit seared now. Also, this series has 100 percent more les yay in it, so that is something. Yea, I like this more then NTF but that isn't saying a lot. Thus far this season has been razor thin on the goodness.

Yamato 2199 - 12

Just when i think i had the picture of the scale of things right , this episode happens and changes everything.

I must say that seeing both sides of teh story is always the right choices when you're striking into a show that isn't black or white ... , yamato is now 200% grey and seeing the crew facing their convictions was a nice touch.

The emperor has a plan and it seems that it's going to be huge. I'm not sure that
unification is the right answer
. I mean it never was ...like EVER.

And yamato , can you stop on the cliffangers ? i need to work and i can't stop now.

Kyuur

From the New World - 1-25

A brilliant series and one of the best recommendations I've gotten from this thread. The villains are understandable, and everything is brilliantly set up. You can see the direction it is taking but it still manages to surprise you occasionally.

Squealer's plan for the bones was amazing. My friends and I figured it would be Maria would be the fiend, but were unsure how or why. The actual result was far beyond my imagination. Just brilliant.

Space Battleship Yamata 2199 - 1

Kind of bland and boring. Would have dropped this first episode if I was watching it without any recommendation. Will give it a chance since so many people are singing praises in here.

Yamato 2199 - 013

This show is rising very fast in my best of 2013 list

Very fast

Uchuu%20Senkan%20Yamato%202199%20-%2013.jpg

The wolf has appeared !

So incredible... so incredible.

I wonder what was the freaking budget for this because it's so freaking awesome... It's incredible.

Sci-fi action ....there are so few of them out there and so few manage to actually get the thing so right .

Defuser

Seitokai Yakuindomo Season 2 ep 1

Damn, that is one helluva introduction of characters for the first half that it make me feel like it's already the finale. Second half is back to dirty jokes and floating words on top of Suzu's head which never gets old. Whatever it is I'm glad that this show is back despite Chiaki Omigawa.

decided to finally use that 14 day trial of crunchyroll (had an account since 06 but never used it lol).

video quality seems pretty good for recent shows, getting weird aliasing when watching Saki which kinda sucks (watching on ipad mini retina).

and watching saki makes me wanna rewatch akagi.

decided to finally use that 14 day trial of crunchyroll (had an account since 06 but never used it lol).

video quality seems pretty good for recent shows, getting weird aliasing when watching Saki which kinda sucks (watching on ipad mini retina).

and watching saki makes me wanna rewatch akagi.

Yeah, some shows have bad compression artifacting, not much you can really do about it.

Flowers of Evil 4,5,6 - Ugh, so uncomfortable. I'm gonna need a hell of a palate cleanser after this one.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Talking of lookers, what was the best looking show of 2013?

Blood Lad right? Well I'm glad that was settled quickly.

OceanBlue

Yeah, some shows have bad compression artifacting, not much you can really do about it.

I'm kinda hesitant to watch the Mushishi OVA episode because of this, to be honest. I think I was less than 5 minutes in and there was a moon scene that was so bad I just couldn't keep watching. There was also weird aliasing (at least, I think that's what it is) in 1080p while the 720p upscaler is ugly. I didn't pin myself as picky about video, but Mushishi has a lot of dark scenes.

Detective Conan 271:
The debut of another new opening, which is pretty good, better than the last few have been (although it feels like these openings are coming faster and faster now). The return of Jodie was quite welcome, and I think the voice actress is bothering me a little less now, although I still wish she was a little more fluent in English. Jodie teasing Megure about his pronunciations is always good for a laugh. Conan being a bit confused about things is fun, too, and Ran is rather preoccupied with all of the stuff relating to Akai.

Joe Molotov

Strawberry Panic

Gbraga

Talking of lookers, what was the best looking show of 2013?

Blood Lad right? Well I'm glad that was settled quickly.

Non Non had some gorgeous sceneries. Kyoukai no Kanata gets some credit, specially for the great animations.

Defuser

Witchcraft Works ep1
What with all the first episodes having some good action animation. Space Dandy, Noragami, Seitokai Yakuindomo and now this.

Anyway, another show with a useless male character loser and a badass powerful female character who also is popular. Something tells me there is some reincarnation involved.

EDIT:
I just found out the male MC was suppose to be a female character which explains the princess and a female name before a change was made. So it was supposed to be a yuri show?

Gbraga

Witchcraft Works ep1
What with all the first episodes having some good action animation. Space Dandy, Noragami, Seitokai Yakuindomo and now this.

Anyway, another show with a useless male character loser and a badass powerful female character who also is popular. Something tells me there is some reincarnation involved.

EDIT:
I just found out the male MC was suppose to be a female character which explains the princess and a female name before a change was made. So it was supposed to be a yuri show?

Didn't know that, but I'm kinda glad they changed. Takamiya being called "princess" is great.

cnet128

Banned
Witch Craft Works 1

Yeah okay I don't think this one is for me. The story so far just feels like the most generic kind of generic LN tripe - there are witches at the school, one of them is all about protecting the MC, the rest seem to be out to kill him. We haven't had any real explanation about why the MC is important to these witches yet, but really, what reason is necessary beyond "because plot"?

I might have been willing to go along with a super-generic story like this if there was at least a good cast of characters to hold my interest, but the first thing that struck me about this show just from looking at its key visual is that the character design in general looks awful.

I will give it some credit: the most awful character design of all, the main girl Kagari, actually wound up being the one I appreciated the most. She's intimidatingly tall, with stupidly large boobs and the most mannish face you ever saw on a female character - basically, the opposite of cute. But the show actually seems quite aware of all this, and just uses her looks to fuel the deadpan humour. It's vaguely amusing how everyone in the school seems to be obsessed with this girl and treats her like a super-charismatic goddess and idol, even though she's decidedly not attractive and has an "I give zero fucks" look permanently plastered to her face. It also makes it seem oddly appropriate when she starts calling the MC her "princess" (note: the MC is most definitely not female, and is if anything even more generic than the MC of ImoCho).

Her deadpan, unflappable nature also plays well off the first antagonist we see in this episode, a rival witch who attacks using an entire army of evil robot bunny soldiers. Because why the hell not, I guess. It is fairly amusing to see plainface witch standing there in the midst of all this madness just continuing not to give anything even resembling a fuck. Oh, and when plainface witch does attack, she apparently does so by summoning and/or turning herself into fire. Which, as wonzo so helpfully demonstrated earlier in the thread, looks like SHIT compared to the manga. After seeing those comparison images, I couldn't help wincing when she supposedly "turned herself into fire" in the anime, because it doesn't look like that at all, it just looks like she has unimpressive CG flames vaguely floating around her.

Butyeah, aside from this main girl whose design seems to look bad on purpose, the other character designs in the show just look like a big pile of bleh. Even nekomimi cannot save them from being bland and forgettable. Just like even a fhana OP cannot save this show from being dropped by me right now.

Dropped.

jman2050

Another joins the fold. Exxxxcellent.

I'll recommend Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, it's a funny, albeit more shoujoish romcom that hasn't been mentioned yet I don't think.

EDIT: Also somehow just found out ClariS was doing the Nisekoi opening. Looks like they're well on their way to joining Shaft as Aniplex's indentured servants

e_i

Witchcraft Works episode 1

Really, that girl is that popular? The whole thing about her being popular is a bit extreme. Okay, VERY extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom