• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

In other brief news:

-Higurashi WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

-Star Driver Really not living up to the negative hype at all. Show's pretty darn good.

-Persona 4 Heck yes!

Also I finished MSG, and I got caught up on Samumenco.

WHY DID I EVER STOP WATCHING SAMUMENCO?

Syrinx

I still need to watch the last two episodes of both Kill la Kill and Samumenco. Just haven't been feeling up to watching much anime lately (watching Nichijou now though).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gintama 43

Fun episode back to full-on goof mode. The references were strong with this one. I have to say, I like Sachan but I don't like her glasses gimmick. For a show with a good sense of humor, it's way too repetitive. This was the best though:

Sachan is shelved pretty quickly to make way for better characters, but her later reappearances are much better than her introductory ones.

Later episode spoilers:
her glasses do lead to one of her best episodes though, when she gets them replaced

Gintama 65

Man, imagine if Katsura got caught up in everyone's antics. No that's not this episode.

CG BEETLES! CG BEETLES! THERE WERE CG BEETLES SUNRISE!!

RpRJfjM.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The first episode I was like "This is dumb and I don't get why softcore highschool lesbians made the list."

The second episode I was like "This is dumb and dramatic and I don't even get why the psychic powers are a WHAT. WHAT. WHAT."

Yeah, that second OVA...once it gets going it just NEVER FUCKING STOPS. :lol

CorvoSol

Yeah, that second OVA...once it gets going it just NEVER FUCKING STOPS. :lol

I'm sorry about cheating on you with my brother. So I'm kidnapping you to show you my love! And raping you! And I see you're okay with that! So let's have sex in public! And on a plane! And on another planet!

Like what even. That ending.

Also serious kudos to CNet for the Higurashi rec. Not a single dull episode yet.

Although I gotta say Detective > Satoshi > Keiichi. Mostly because
Keiichi goes fucking psycho. Which being trapped in that town through repeated cycles of death'll do to you.
I want to say Shion > all the demon women, but then again
Shion beat the shit out of Satoko for NO REASON.

The clear best character is Ooishii, though. "DOOOOOMO DOMOOOOO." Dude is awesome.

Gazoinks

Bakemonogatari 3

In which Ararararararagi airs his petty grievances, Senjyogahara taunts him, and then he beats up a grade schooler. Ararararararararararararararagi manages to fill the "normal guy" archetype while also being kind of unhinged.

Is there a new OP with every arc? That's pretty cool.

Also, I am going to randomly guess that
Hachikuji has multiple personalities or something judging by the OP and the shadow/light split on a lot of shots in this episode.

On the topic of expectations vs reality thanks to AnimeGAF, I got negative vibes from Heroman in here then I ended up enjoying it. So I came to the realization you all love terrorism because that show is as American as it gets.

Propane.

Gintama 67

Part A:

PFFT This chick is fucking nuts. Holy shit. I mean... people who aren't nuts aren't exactly common, but she's certainly a case and a half.

Part B:

Hattori sure likes taking it up the ass... on screen ._.
Hugging a bare ass on screen. Man, that's something you don't see.

Narag

On the topic of expectations vs reality thanks to AnimeGAF, I got negative vibes from Heroman in here then I ended up enjoying it. So I came to the realization you all love terrorism because that show is as American as it gets.

I, too, find myself wondering why a handful of vocal posters don't share my exact tastes.

Gintama 68

What is with people's wives leaving them? Good lord, I lost count of how many times this already happened now!

"I'm not Jason, I'm my original character Jackson!" "And I'm not Tails!"

Articalys

Okay, I give up on watching every OP/ED from this season. So here's a partial list of which ones I like the best.
Nisekoi OP "CLICK" -- kz and ClariS never disappoint. I really like the animation in the second half, especially starting at the scene with the keys.

Sakura Trick OP "Won(*з*)Chu KissMe!" -- well, we went over what makes this good just a short while ago. Super catchy. And yuri.

Silver Spoon S2 ED "Oto no Naru Hou e→" -- really like the softer watercolor style and how the pictures flip around to change from scene to scene. Song has a really fun and joyful melody too.

Noragami OP "Goya no Machiawase" and ED "Heart Realize" -- both excellent, the former for some solid rock and great style, the latter for a great new supercell partnership and beautiful atmosphere.

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei ED "Masshiro World" by Mikakuning! -- composed by Junky of Vocaloid fame, and some super-cute animations to go with it too, getting all the characters involved.

Space Brothers OP8 "B.B." -- probably the show's best OP since "Small World" a year ago. Has a great beat, and the quick cuts showing the moon around the world are neat.

Toaru Hikushi e no Koiuta OP "azurite" -- one of my absolute favorite songs of the season --- possibly even more than all the ones listed above -- but there's not enough airplane action in the OP.

Mahou Sensou ED "Born to be" -- nano songs are always great by default, but as was pointed out here when it first aired, it also has a super OP/ED director for insane style points.

Yowamushi Pedal OP2 "Yowamushi na Honoo" -- insane energy from the song, and I love how the credits are part of the background. Also "DIRTY OLD MEN" is an amazing band name.

Gundam Build Fighters OP2 "wimp" -- nothing in particular stands out, it's just a really well done mecha anime OP with a good rock song.

Wizard Barristers OP "JUSTITIA" -- looks outstanding with crazy effects, and Lia is a nice singer. Too bad the show proper seems a mess.

Witch Craft Works OP "divine intervention" -- I love fhána and this song is also probably one of the top for the season, but the animation is kind of boring.

Space Dandy OP "Viva Namida" -- I don't really care about the show's actualOP animation but damn the music video is fabulous.

Special award for complete waste of a good song by virtue of having an OP made almost entirely out of stills: Samurai Flamenco OP "Ai Ai Ai ni Utarete Bye Bye Bye" by FLOW.

Special award for best kz song in an OP that hurts my eyes to watch it: Hamatora OP "FLAT" and its one million color filters.
There's also a lot of songs I only sort of like, but I'm too lazy to list them all.

Thoraxes

My two favorite songs for OPs this season are from Sekai Seifuku and Nisekoi. Also really like Silver Spoon's ED.

The worst award goes to Golden Time's new OP. Fucking horrible song should not be used to represent Koko being cute in the OP. If they took out the drums and bass and changed them to something that isn't a metronome it could almost be decent.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
And also Nobunaga the Fool's ED, for being the first anime song I've ever heard incorporate wubstep.

I actually like it.

Fake Edit: Oh, and also Wooser S2's ED, for being the best ED this season. Based Mamoru Miyano.

Articalys

I will add, though, the Kuroko's Basketball OP2 also deserves an award for "weakest followup to one of the best shonen/sports OPs ever".

Defuser

WitchCraft Works ED Witch Activity
Nagi no Asukura OP2 Ebb and Flow
Space Dandy OP Viva Namida
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei ED Masshiro World

Gintama 69

....Robot Battle Maids.

Robot Battle Maids the arc. Well we were bound to get here soon, but at least we start off with a shit ton of trolling that made me laugh. Seeing as how real weapons aren't used, it must not be a serious arc!

Kenya Boy-
I suppose there is something that ought to be said here, and I feel like that something should probably just be about the racism in this piece. As something written in the 1950s you really cannot expect that much out of this, I suppose. You’d be hard pressed to find a society that wasn’t racist back then. Granted, the piece came out during the 1980s, and I don’t really feel the rest of the content is entirely worth commenting upon, so one must ask why someone didn’t really think about it in the 80s. There really isn’t any character in this who isn’t a racist caricature in the piece. The Africans range from the noble savage archetype of Zega, to the just plain savage of the witch doctor, to the outlandishly bizarre of the lizard men. Not a one is really that positive, though, and the fact that there are some who are BLUE only makes it worse. There’s nary a white who isn’t brilliantly blonde, but the real humor here is that the Japanese man is filling a role one normally sees of a white man in Hollywood movies, learning and becoming even better at the natives’ skillsets in a wildly short amount of time. The long story short is that it’s all wildly racist, but as something written just barely after the end of WWII, it’s hard to really be that surprised.

Moving away from that for a moment, there are two other, lesser points worth commenting on in Kenya Boy. The first is that, at its heart, the story is about a young man’s quest to become a man, and to reunite with his parents. In that sense, it’s not that bad. Yoshi definitely grows up over the course of the film, and his efforts to reunite with his father, and his relationship with father figure Zega are appreciable for what they are. It was hardly moving and rarely engaging, but it did what it wanted to do, and I respect that.

The other is that the setting of the story is less “Africa” and more “Batshit insane The Lost World”. At first it SEEMS like Africa, since there are lions and rhinos and hippos oh my! But as time goes on, we discover that there are also giant frogs, giant snakes, giant komodo dragons, and when a nuclear bomb explodes, there are dinosaurs. Like a T-Rex fights the giant snake at the film’s climax. Why this is I have no idea. I suppose the Technicolor atmosphere, black lightning, and draconic battle is meant to demonstrate just how truly horrifying a nuclear explosion is (since Zega comments “this will always happen when humans are possessed by demons.”), because, you know, nuclear explosions aren’t scary enough on their own.

But that’s Kenya Boy for you.

Much like Nobuhiko Obayashi's first film, Hausu, I think it's best to approach Kenya Boy with a certain mindset that anything goes. Both are products of their time (moreso in Kenya Boy's case because of the 50's comic strip source material), but their similar incompetence within their respective genres and mediums is something that I find so fascinating and compulsively watchable. I was quickly able to look to past how Kenya Boy had a complete disregard for narrative coherence because it's so unabashed in doing so in the most absurd ways. Given Obayashi's known desire to make Hausu's live action special effects look as crude and childlike as possible, I would go so far as to say that he probably had the same thought process here. It's the only explanation I can give to the sudden art style changes or the moments where one background character in a group of others isn't colored in or when an entire scene isn't colored in. And then there's the ending. My god the ending. It's like unfiltered insanity with a kid messing around with chroma key and video layering effects that have no reason being there.

Basically, what I'm trying to tell you is this:
iXyoPLSn4VkuG.PNG

Watchable Drifting Classroom adaptation when

Gintama 70

So the big bad is the creator that managed to put his soul into the robot to provide for his daughter, and make robot waifus take over the world

Practically an otaku's wet dream right here. Oh, and Shinpachi being kind of useless. Buh.

Nordicus

cajunator

Banned
In other brief news:

-Higurashi WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

-Star Driver Really not living up to the negative hype at all. Show's pretty darn good.

-Persona 4 Heck yes!

Also I finished MSG, and I got caught up on Samumenco.

WHY DID I EVER STOP WATCHING SAMUMENCO?

Corvyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy *gloooooooooomps

I see Higurashi is making you nuts. I missed you!

duckroll

The only OP this season I can really think of where the visuals and song perfectly work together is the one in Hozuki. There are a number of decent OPs, but nothing else which I really feel like watching every week without skipping. The best EDs are Space Dandy and Wtich Craft Works. No contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom