• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've just returned from an unplanned two week GAF vacation and I've pounded out a few things on my backlog:

Toradora - Enjoyed it! A little slow to the start and kind of predictable, but really liked it.

My Little Monster - This really clicked with me at the start but then kind of tapered off. So many confessions and yet nothing really came of it.

Wagnaria!! - Really good. Popura makes that show. I do wish it kept going to fill out the Takanashi/Inami stuff. Great OP on both seasons.

wVm9pgn.gif

Photo Kano - Amazing. Just amazing... that they managed to make a show with so many unlikable and insufferable characters. Solves the problem of "best girl not winning" by 1)not having a best girl, and 2) just making an episode for the ending route of each girl. I was so upset with watching this show that I took a 2 day break from watching anything else until Sakura Trick 5 gave me the will to watch anime again.

The World God Only Knows S1/S2 - Elsie = Awesome. Katsuragi = Not so much so. Only through the first two seasons and its pretty watchable. I've caught the first episode of S3, and it seems like it's taking an interesting turn. Little more positive about it now than when I started. Though, the finale of S2 made very little sense, at least it had this gem to give me a laugh.

VL44EcA.png

Link Man

Banned
Arakawa 10

i7bAHuZkhAhG6.png

Another good episode. This show consistently makes me laugh. God damn, based Maria.

And we have some actual conflict now!

Photo Kano wanted to be a visual novel so badly. I'm sure it actually is, but it should have stayed that way if they were going to show you every single girl's arc.

It is apparently a dating sim, but its a terrible conversion to an anime when you only get like 6 episodes to introduce all the characters, so they all end up flat and uninteresting.

Should have just chose one girl for the show, then used the other ones for OVAS.
It's an advertisement for the game, they have to throw all the girls in there. Alot of VN adaptations suffer from this, instead of adapting a route, they just introduce the characters to promote the source material.

santeesioux

It's an advertisement for the game, they have to throw all the girls in there. Alot of VN adaptations suffer from this, instead of adapting a route, they just introduce the characters to promote the source material.

No wonder the show was awful. You'd think a good show would be a better advertisement than an awful one.

Witchcraft Works - 06
i'm actually very surprised that WW manages to entertain me despite the bad start it suffered .... that flight sequence was fantastic and the character chemistry was fantastic.

Not to mention that you feel like there is some plot behind it all.

Witch%20Craft%20Works%20-%2006.jpg

Behold imouto powaa !

i hope we get a S2 with more money so we can get the big arc that is near ..there are a lot of good things that are happenning in the manga and i hope we see them all animated.

Buddy Complex Episode 6
tumblr_n0ryfsE0H61s5qkzqo4_r1_500.gif
tumblr_n0ryfsE0H61s5qkzqo3_500.gif

Fromm is amazing and such a handsome guy as it said. Yuki Kaji voice gives him even more points from me and then being the next coupling partner even. So glad were up to three and they didnt resort to trying to force, like other series, non ideal character into this. In any case, I liked the jealous Dio parts as it really gave him good development.

Favorite part, Dio and his smile while Let's Couple.

Great episode with good mecha fight as usual.

No wonder the show was awful. You'd think a good show would be a better advertisement than an awful one.
Actually all they had to do was to adapt a main route , a common route , make an episode focused on each girl and adapt the most popular girl route for the finale.

Amagami omnibus format only worked because each route was strong enough to stand on his own ...something photokano clearly wasn't able to do

Gintama 60

Hey, Katsura isn't dead! The evil sword is super stronk, Gintoki gets the Dragon Poop Sword, Shinpachi is rather badass this arc, and Kagura's Kagura-ing

Everything is in place now, although there are fears I have in a show with an expansive cast
mainly some of the people probably won't come back because dead, but they're the bad guys in this case.

Gintama 60

Hey, Katsura isn't dead! The evil sword is super stronk, Gintoki gets the Dragon Poop Sword, Shinpachi is rather badass this arc, and Kagura's Kagura-ing

Everything is in place now, although there are fears I have in a show with an expansive cast
mainly some of the people probably won't come back because dead, but they're the bad guys in this case.

i would watch the movie version of this arc. it's ... so damn good.

survivor

Banned
Angel Beats 4

Ha, that change to the OP for this episode was pretty amusing. Though I am not happy that
Yui replaced Iwasawa

Gintama 61

Sadly Dragon Poop Sword is busted ;A;. I guess when real weapons are used by the mains, it'll be a serious arc???

Gotta say though, kind of nice to have short arcs, like a short burst of serious in the midst of comedy. It's like... different than say Hayate the Combat Butler's one serious arc, in which it was serious for a long period of time (before going back to be a harem romcom that progressively got lewder the moment I notice it was clean).

Also gotta give props for Shinpachi being capable of doing shit, and not be like.... a Leorio. Probably too soon to say that, but hey.

When's our next "serious" arc?

Tokyo Ravens 18

The whole realization (again but this time with a different girl) was definitely the highlight of the episode. Too bad another arc gets in the way and this plot point will get dropped again.

Quasar

Photo Kano - Amazing. Just amazing... that they managed to make a show with so many unlikable and insufferable characters. Solves the problem of "best girl not winning" by 1)not having a best girl, and 2) just making an episode for the ending route of each girl. I was so upset with watching this show that I took a 2 day break from watching anything else until Sakura Trick 5 gave me the will to watch anime again.

It was a poor mans Amagami and did suffer under mostly 1 episode stories, but I kind of enjoyed it after the terrible first arc. Though I do think they telegraphed the best girl by giving her the only (well only one after the intro arc) multi episode arc.

Actually all they had to do was to adapt a main route , a common route , make an episode focused on each girl and adapt the most popular girl route for the finale.

Amagami omnibus format only worked because each route was strong enough to stand on his own ...something photokano clearly wasn't able to do
Amagami had the benefit of more episodes. Shorter episode counts limit what you can do effectively, especially if the source material needs more time to be adapted, which most visual novels do.

Quasar

Amagami had the benefit of more episodes. Shorter episode counts limit what you can do effectively, especially if the source material needs more time to be adapted, which most visual novels do.

I do wonder why they chose to go with 1 episode stories, rather than fewer multi episode stories.

Gintama 62-63

Our resident pincushion for the Shinsengumi attempts to interview to figure out Gintoki, and arrived at the same conclusion I did. I don't really understand him... although there are some people I don't want to understand.

Secondly, Shinobis have hearts as hard as shojo manga. That much I learned.

Link Man

Banned
Higurashi 11

Our protagonist, people!

Well, another dark episode, and details about the backstory keep trickling in. But I'm still a bit unsure of whether
this is a time-loop situation, or multiple universes, or simply different stories built off the same framework

Gazoinks

Gintama 43

Fun episode back to full-on goof mode. The references were strong with this one. I have to say, I like Sachan but I don't like her glasses gimmick. For a show with a good sense of humor, it's way too repetitive. This was the best though:

wonzo

Banned
Hozuki no Reitetsu 1-3

hozukireitetsu2.jpg

I get a good chunk of the references but it's more miss-than-hit with its humour thus far. Not sure If I want to bother with more which is a shame as I'm a sucker for bureaucratic afterlife settings. :(

Gintama 43

Fun episode back to full-on goof mode. The references were strong with this one. I have to say, I like Sachan but I don't like her glasses gimmick. For a show with a good sense of humor, it's way too repetitive. This was the best though:

Honestly her glasses gimmick doesn't come back too often. Her S&M side is what keeps coming back on later on and the voice actress absolutely kills it when she starts doing high pitched screams and dirty growls. I don't think I've laughed that much with this type of humor since MM!

Gazoinks

Honestly her glasses gimmick doesn't come back too often. Her S&M side is what keeps coming back on later on and the voice actress absolutely kills it when she starts doing high pitched screams and dirty growls. I don't think I've laughed that much with this type of humor since MM!

Good to hear, the S&M stuff is definitely the funnier recurring joke.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

The best (side character) voice actress was probably the wind rider girl. She could hit those high notes.

Gintama 64

Oh Katsura. You slay me. So hard.

God damn it, the shit you do even during an interview. You crazy rebel you.

The funniest character in the show.

Also, it's Zura.

CorvoSol

Kenya Boy-
I suppose there is something that ought to be said here, and I feel like that something should probably just be about the racism in this piece. As something written in the 1950s you really cannot expect that much out of this, I suppose. You’d be hard pressed to find a society that wasn’t racist back then. Granted, the piece came out during the 1980s, and I don’t really feel the rest of the content is entirely worth commenting upon, so one must ask why someone didn’t really think about it in the 80s. There really isn’t any character in this who isn’t a racist caricature in the piece. The Africans range from the noble savage archetype of Zega, to the just plain savage of the witch doctor, to the outlandishly bizarre of the lizard men. Not a one is really that positive, though, and the fact that there are some who are BLUE only makes it worse. There’s nary a white who isn’t brilliantly blonde, but the real humor here is that the Japanese man is filling a role one normally sees of a white man in Hollywood movies, learning and becoming even better at the natives’ skillsets in a wildly short amount of time. The long story short is that it’s all wildly racist, but as something written just barely after the end of WWII, it’s hard to really be that surprised.

Moving away from that for a moment, there are two other, lesser points worth commenting on in Kenya Boy. The first is that, at its heart, the story is about a young man’s quest to become a man, and to reunite with his parents. In that sense, it’s not that bad. Yoshi definitely grows up over the course of the film, and his efforts to reunite with his father, and his relationship with father figure Zega are appreciable for what they are. It was hardly moving and rarely engaging, but it did what it wanted to do, and I respect that.

The other is that the setting of the story is less “Africa” and more “Batshit insane The Lost World”. At first it SEEMS like Africa, since there are lions and rhinos and hippos oh my! But as time goes on, we discover that there are also giant frogs, giant snakes, giant komodo dragons, and when a nuclear bomb explodes, there are dinosaurs. Like a T-Rex fights the giant snake at the film’s climax. Why this is I have no idea. I suppose the Technicolor atmosphere, black lightning, and draconic battle is meant to demonstrate just how truly horrifying a nuclear explosion is (since Zega comments “this will always happen when humans are possessed by demons.”), because, you know, nuclear explosions aren’t scary enough on their own.

But that’s Kenya Boy for you.

Kuttsubikoshi-

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: yuri really doesn’t do a whole lot for me. We’re not here to explore the reasons why that is, though, so I’ll just stress the point and then explain its relevance to the OVA: namely, the first episode of Kuttsubikoshi is pretty much a super softcore yuri hentai, and as such, was incredibly boring to me. I mean, maybe I just don’t appreciate romance in general, but honestly seeing two naked anime high school girls roll in the hay for 20 minutes was not time well spent in my book. I get that there are those of you who must surely find this definition highly scintillating, but hey, there it is.

Now, the SECOND OVA is what I want to talk about. Cuz that’s where everything went crazy as fuck. I mean, the first one ends with the one girl walking in on her girlfriend with her girlfriend’s brother. The next one begins with said girlfriend kidnapping her, holding her hostage, and then raping her repeatedly for at least the space of a day. Which, I guess, lead to a love epiphany? And the whole sex with her brother thing? That’s because he had a brain tumor! He’s dead now! And did I mention that psychic powers are involved here? And now teleportation onto an airplane? And now we’re falling to our deaths? No I lied we’re naked on a beach on a planet far, far away from Earth. TA DA!

If I gave a fuck I’d make a pie chart showing the amount of time dedicated to pointless super ultra softcore sex scenes in increasingly inappropriate circumstances versus the amount of time dedicated to something resembling a plot or a romance, but the point is that no human relationships seen onscreen in Kuttsukiboshi are anything I would describe as healthy. They have all the health one might attribute to Florence during the Black Plague.

As I said the other day, “Kuttsukiboshi is somewhere between The End of Evangelion and a really bad hentai written by a drunken SDBurton in my nightmares.”

Like what the fuck. “It’s only two episodes.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom