• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

D-Frag! - 03

K5vbo4A.jpg

LMAO this slaying me so hard

Man.. I should pick this earlier, such a funny show.. remind me to Sket Dance, but this one clicked to me more.

JoeFu

Banned
K I started watching Lucky Star because I was bored one day where I had nothing else to watch. It's pretty funny. There's some boring stuff thrown in there and weird things like the twins talking about their time of the month and stuff... but I'm enjoying it. The call out to other anime like Initial D was pretty freaking awesome. I'm on 18 now and the ED's with Shiraishi Minoru are hilarious as well.

Anyways good show to watch when bored. I like the animation as well and it's cool how much it reminds me of Nichijou.

A show's OP defines what the show is. That's always what I felt. The tone and softness of Kino's OP really reflected on the show in most areas.

If I had to list my favourite OPs it would have to be:

1. Gurren Lagann's OP
2. Code Geass R1 OP1.
3. Nanoha A's OP (This one has so much energy compared to the first one)
4. Hunter X Hunter's OP (Never got tired of that song, even 100 episodes later)
5. Almost all of Fairy Tail's OPs. (With the order being 14 > 11 > 1 > 12 > 8 > 9 > 10 > 6 > 5 > 13 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 7)

Link Man

Banned
The Devil is a Part-Timer! 5

Excellent episode. The humor was spot-on and the villain was enjoyably campy and maniacal. The two newcomers didn't seem to serve much purpose, though, which is a shame.

Alciel is starting to steal the show.

------------------------------------------------------------

As for OP's, I'm really enjoying Arakawa's OP, and never have the urge to skip it (and Maria's OP was outstanding and a high point of the series).

cajunator

Banned
A show's OP defines what the show is. That's always what I felt. The tone and softness of Kino's OP really reflected on the show in most areas.

If I had to list my favourite OPs it would have to be:

1. Gurren Lagann's OP
2. Code Geass R1 OP1.
3. Nanoha A's OP (This one has so much energy compared to the first one)
4. Hunter X Hunter's OP (Never got tired of that song, even 100 episodes later)
5. Almost all of Fairy Tail's OPs. (With the order being 14 > 11 > 1 > 12 > 8 > 9 > 10 > 6 > 5 > 13 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 7)

Ill make a list later maybe but Kino is on it.
So Is Kiddy Grade and Nadesico.

Defuser

44zQx4M.jpg

Apparently famous Japanese guys like to rock mullets and wear sunglasses. I'm surprised Yaraon didn't throw in Itagaki in there.

BluWacky

44zQx4M.jpg

Apparently famous Japanese guys like to rock mullets and wear sunglasses.

Doesn't everyone?

__

Re: Legend of Galactic Heroes - while the original series is beloved, it's hardly going to drive further sales of the novels or manga, and it's a bankable property due to its quality. It's a very business-orientated remake, undoubtedly, but if a new anime project can drive sales of associated properties then why not I guess? I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be between a "remake" or a "new animated adaptation" - does it just mean that they're adapting something previously unanimated or making up new stories in the universe?

(Vito/G-Haro seems to have answered this while I was typing this reply I guess)

CorvoSol

What episode are you up to?

Only like, 10. I kinda put it aside for other stuff. The characters are nothing special, and the character designs are whatever, but the show is still pretty fun.

Corvyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy *gloooooooooomps

I see Higurashi is making you nuts. I missed you!

Haha, I talked to you all week on Twitter, though.

Welcome back to both of you.

Thanks, it's good to be back.

CORVO YOU'RE BAAAAAAAAACK *hugs*

higurashi_001.gif

So how far are you in this show now? It sounds like you finished off Tatarigoroshi-hen, blasted through Himatsubushi-hen (well, it's only two episodes) and at least got started on Meakashi-hen. Which makes me sad because I would have loved to hear your actual impressions on the shit that goes down in Tatarigoroshi. I hope you at least haven't made it too far through Meakashi yet, because there's impression-worthy shit in there like you wouldn't believe XD

At any rate, Satoko > all the characters by a large margin, but you are correct that Ooishi is amazing. Here, have him rapping with Keiichi. No, I'm not even kidding.

So, the last episode I watched was
Shion's side of her and Keiichi's trip into Oyashiro-Sama's shrine. So I think this is the arc where Keiichi goes nuts and tries/fails to kill Satoko's uncle. It is definitely the arc where Shion has to rip her fingernails out.

HDeedlit AdventuresRecord of Lodoss War 03

It's clear that the staff of this show has good taste given how much more screen time HDeedlit is getting and how many more frames are dedicated to her compared to the other characters.
Animation on the first half of this episode was a bit lacking, tons of stills and some interesting faults as well.
But then the second half happened and oh man that second half.
Plenty of sakuga. Also I need to brush my GIF skills as the HDeedlit facepalm is sure to come in handy.
It's also interesting to see how organically the HDeedlit/Parn relationship is developing though judging from EP01 poor HDeedlit

Man it looks so good.

YESSS. This was the show I've been waiting for you to see ever since you started The List. Wasn't it glorious?!? Welcome back you crazy raven!

The first OVA I was like "Eh." But by the end of the second one I understood how it got on the List.

cajunator

Banned
Only like, 10. I kinda put it aside for other stuff. The characters are nothing special, and the character designs are whatever, but the show is still pretty fun.

Haha, I talked to you all week on Twitter, though.

Thanks, it's good to be back.

So, the last episode I watched was
Shion's side of her and Keiichi's trip into Oyashiro-Sama's shrine. So I think this is the arc where Keiichi goes nuts and tries/fails to kill Satoko's uncle. It is definitely the arc where Shion has to rip her fingernails out.

Man it looks so good.

The first OVA I was like "Eh." But by the end of the second one I understood how it got on the List.

I still missed you heeeeere!

cnet128

Banned
It is definitely the arc where Shion has to rip her fingernails out.

Oh boy, I remember when I introduced this show to some friends at uni (one of the few actual groupwatches I've ever done, and easily the most fun). The amount of horror and wincing at that scene was legendary.

This arc is by far the biggest on the physically brutal moments.

CorvoSol

Oh boy, I remember when I introduced this show to some friends at uni (one of the few actual groupwatches I've ever done, and easily the most fun). The amount of horror and wincing at that scene was legendary.

This arc is by far the biggest on the physically brutal moments.

Yeah I kinda feel like Higurashi qualifies on the List because it is made peculiar by its super cute looks, its strange, sugary moments of cheer that come right between its brutal, terrifying, or depressing moments. In a way it reminds me of Paranoia Agent and School Days, using cutesy appearances and moments to lull you into a sense of security before beating you with horror.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah I kinda feel like Higurashi qualifies on the List because it is made peculiar by its super cute looks, its strange, sugary moments of cheer that come right between its brutal, terrifying, or depressing moments. In a way it reminds me of Paranoia Agent and School Days, using cutesy appearances and moments to lull you into a sense of security before beating you with horror.

its entertaining and cringe inducing but not really list material.

Jex

The only OP this season I can really think of where the visuals and song perfectly work together is the one in Hozuki. There are a number of decent OPs, but nothing else which I really feel like watching every week without skipping. The best EDs are Space Dandy and Wtich Craft Works. No contest.

This duck speaks the golden truth, apart from the lack of praise for Tonari's sweet OP and ED.

Jex

I don't quite get this. I assume they're just re-adapting the novels, but I'm not really sure why that's good news. There's not only the original OVA series, and the prequel OVA series but a number of movies to boot so it really feels like all the ground has been covered.

I mean, the original series could be improved in some aspects (and Overture to a New War shows how) but by and large it doesn't feel like a work that needs that much 'polishing up'.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't quite get this. I assume they're just re-adapting the novels, but I'm not really sure why that's good news. There's not only the original OVA series, and the prequel OVA series but a number of movies to boot so it really feels like all the ground has been covered.

I mean, the original series could be improved in some aspects (and Overture to a New War shows how) but by and large it doesn't feel like a work that needs that much 'polishing up'.

LOGH where Yang, Reinhard and Seigfried are kawaii lolis.

Midonin

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. 05

A bit of light drama, a bit of a beach episode, but what I got from this episode is that everyone's worried about feeling like a fifth wheel. Keiko continues to be great. This series is charming, though
what exactly is going on at the end there? Are Inari and Akemi going to switch places for real?
The design of the bodybuilders' face was just goofy.

Midonin

Maken-Ki! Two 05

Lewd. The lewdness levels are at a premium here, as anything involving Aki is bound to be. I didn't like it as much as last week's episode, but it capture a bit of that sexy love comedy vibe that I associated with anime when I started getting into it. And all while sticking within the regulations set by a TV anime, needing a minimum amount of censorship - and still implying a lot.

New pickups

The top 4 was thanks to the Best Buy sale. I'm currently rewatching Cross Game so Strike Witches is next.

Angel Beats!: Great anime IMHO. I hope you like it. I liked it dubbed more than the sub. The moments resonate better and they got a pretty good cast. I know a lot here aren't big fans but F it I really love this anime. I hope it connects with you like it did me. And that OP and ED.

Btooom!: I really liked this anime although watch it subbed. The dub is actually kind of bad. It was bad enough to deter my experience. They have the MC (in the dub) make a lot of weird noises in the opening episodes that grind on you after a while. He has his moments (especially inter monologues) but it's still weird voice direction. So go with the sub. I hope Madhouse continues with this. The manga has almost enough chapters for a second season so I hope Madhouse follows up even though they have a hard time doing that. Love the OP in this show.

Say, "I Love You": I do not understand how I got into this. Maybe it was the unique art but I bit when it appeared on Crunchyroll and I watched it all the way through anticipating each episode. I still can't really put my finger on why I liked it. Maybe it was the plot or the characters but whatever it was I..... kind of.... liked it.

Gintama 73-75

75 was a fucking recap... and I watched it ;A;

Looks like Gintama did the Parasectic Zombie Shroom thing before The Last of US (granted it was already done before so meh).

74... had ace Katsura moments with the Masuzoms. He's giddy like a child sometimes. Although... I don't think he'll be here in the Yagyuu arc, which looks like the next serious arc, and some developments for Otoe as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom