• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Mouryou no Hako 5

Now with psychics and more characters whose names I will never be able to remember. There's also like five different subplots going on now that are somehow all connected. I'm still not sure how
Kanako is connected with the older-sister-ish actress
even after the lawyer's exposition.

Here's Jexhius's notes after five episodes. Unfortunately, it looks like his Photobucket account just decided to explode.

Time to move to a better image host, Jex!

As for Kanako and Kinuko,
how exactly they're related hasn't been revealed, but it's not as simple as them being siblings.

Link Man

Banned
If I have to live with the fact that there's a third Miser brother, THEN SO DO YOU ALL.

Higurashi Kai 1

HELL YES AKASAKA IN DA HOUSE. HELL YES OISHI UP IN HURR.

So let's talk.
It's obvious we're still in World 4. The one where Rika murders Uncle Houjou and Rina, where she gets Takano's journal and goes mad from the revelation. Where Keichi realizes they've been trapped in an endless cycle. Originally, I'd assumed we were in World 3 again, where Keichi kills Uncle Houjou, since that was the one where the disaster occurred.

It's now apparent, then, that no matter what Hinamizawa must end that way. Except possibly in World 2, since Shion murders basically the entire Sonozaki family, and thereby possibly prevents the research from reaching the point of catastrophe. Possibly. Meaning Keiichi, Rena, and Satoko survive that reality. Though I don't know if Rika does or not, since death seems to be how she passes from one world to the next.

It's also apparently that in 1978 Akasaka always visits Hinamizawa to rescue the little boy. Which means that Rika always dies in 1983. And that Akasaka's wife dies every single time. Similarly, Satoshi always dies before this. Likewise Takano and Tomitake always die on the 5th Watanagashi night. Except we know that's not true anymore, because Takano Miyo dies before that night and is then seen alive on that night and found dead after it, burned and inside a barrel. Which means that, to whatever extent that Oyashiro-Sama's curse is a real thing, Takano never qualifies as one of its victims, because she always dies before she ever even enters the shrine on the night of the Watanagashi. Or something.

Next order of business, and the chiefest of it. Bear in mind that unless something explicitly changes from world to world I assume it goes down exactly the same way. So no matter the world, Onibaba always tries to strangle Shion, for example, but Shion does not always try to strangle Mion. How much of World 2 overlaps with Worlds 3-4 I don't know, because Worlds 3-4 are very consistent with each other, while World 1 seems largely different from Worlds 2-4, particularly in that we never even meet Shion Sonozaki therein.

But I digress. The chief concern I have at the moment is Furude Rika. Before I address something that nags me about the end of last season and this season's opening, I need to address Rika's involvement with Oyashiro-Sama. In World 2 Shion calls her Oyashiro's reincarnation. Since we know something weird is going on with her, Shion might not have been that far off. But what is most important about Shion's encounter with Deep Rika is that Deep Rika had a syringe with something in it. Now, apparently the syringe we see in World 1 is a fake, and Keichi had just gone mad. However, Rena starts going mad, too, and we know that Rika did have a syringe prepared for her, just as she did for Shion. And we know that Rena, much like Tomitake and the Keichi of World 1 began to claw at her own throat.

So here's where I'm not entirely clear. When does Rika appear to Rena with this syringe? Does she do so prior to the death of Rina and Houjou, or after the battle with Keichi atop the rooftop? Because her unusual statement of "I'm bored with this Hinamizawa" conflicts with her speeches throughout the rest of World 4, where she tells Keichi that they can overcome this evil, and where she taunts the real mastermind that they will survive the Endless June. Is it possible that Rika is both tormentor and victim? That Rika is her own enemy? That the one with the deep voice is foe and the one with high pitched niiipaaaas is the victim? Or the other way around?

If so it would certainly explain the suspicion being cast upon Rika as the one who injects both Keiichi 1 and all Tomitakes with the virus.

You should be able to appreciate this now.

Been watching Senyu. I don't know what to think but I haven't stopped yet. So I guess that's a plus?

SKET DANCE: Series Review

Hmmm. I think Kagura said it best in the crossover episode.

"SKET Dance? Isn't that like a poor man's Gintama?"

And I mean that in a positive way. I love Gintama. Easily one of my favorite anime shows. The characters were great, the humor worked really well, and the story arcs ranged from serious to hilarious. If I can say one thing I guess it'd be that the serious arcs peaked too soon. Switch's backstory was absolutely brilliant. Bossun's was decent, and Himeko's was pretty meh.

As to the comedy, the relative spacing of the hilarious episodes were too far away, but there were plenty of chuckle worthy ones. The show's biggest fault would be that the straight man comedy was used a bit too much, and it's not as funny as Shinpachi's reactions.

The animation itself wasn't stellar, but the colors and artstyle were crisp and colorful. Not to mention HD. The strongest point of the show was the great cast of characters. But it harmed itself by not focusing on the more interesting ones like Dante. So it ended up being a double edged sword.

Over-all highly recommended. The school setting ends up being largely just a tv trope and not an actual running point for the characters. So that didn't detract terribly much from the enjoyment.

Branduil

In my defence I haven't used Photobucket in a while now, for somewhat obvious reasons!

I have no idea what you mean.

Anyways, I think I've figured out my theory about Mouryou no Hako, the key is clearly to understand that
igarwmCGcqcpt.gif

alright animegaf ive decided to push A Certain to the bottom of the anime backlog because its too damn similar to Strike The Blood
which of these 3 should i watch first
Hajime No Ippo
Hunter x Hunter
Gintama

Link Man

Banned
The Devil is a Part-Timer! 11

i0NFfAbRcegMR.jpg

Yep, looks like we're moving into the big finale, and I guess that means fewer laughs and more action. One thing I'm wondering is if two episodes is really enough to wrap things up; I'd hate to see the series end without a proper resolution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a tangent, I saw this Extra Gum ad while watching and immediately thought of Usagi Drop.

A Certain Magical Index isn't like Strike the Blood. Strike the Blood is like a much crappier version of Magical Index. Touma is an actually likable character.

As to from that list, you can't go wrong with either Gintama or HxH. Depends on what your mood is for?

Comedy= Gintama 200+ episodes
Good Shonen action= HxH 117 or so current episodes, still going.

Gintama has serious arcs too, and they're brilliant. But the show is like 90% comedy.

alright animegaf ive decided to push A Certain to the bottom of the anime backlog because its too damn similar to Strike The Blood
Hajime No Ippo
Hunter x Hunter
Gintama

Those are all three high quality shows. Ippo might be my favorite, but I have a preference towards sports anime.

A Certain Magical Index isn't like Strike the Blood. Strike the Blood is like a much crappier version of Magical Index. Touma is an actually likable character.

That's not saying they aren't similar. They are in fact. And against those three shows, you should not chose Index over them.

Hajime No Ippo
Hunter x Hunter
Gintama

Man this is a really tough choice here. I mean, you really can't go wrong with any choice.

cajunator

Banned
Futari wa Precure 1-3

And so my easily-being-influenced by fanart continues. After going through Heartcatch and most of Smile just before it feels odd to have a villain that's all evil and no comedic relief via his main general leader guys, this Pissard guy is a scary fucker! Though that means it's up to the mascots to provide the comic relief and they're sort of aggravating so far-mepo. The dynamic between Nagisa and Honoka hasn't really done much for me yet, but they (especially Nagisa, ALL OF MY HNNNNNNG) are adorable anyhow and have 40+ episodes to bond and make me feel warm feelings. The fights are what I assume is standard for a good amount of Cure series: get beat up a bit > YOU CAN'T DO THAT I WON'T LET YOU > super move and I've mostly grown to accept it, though I do hope there are some good ones even if I have to wait til the end.

Suite Precure 1-4

Oh no another one! I find it hilarious how Hibiki and Kanade will just fucking go at each other at the drop of a hat and how the villains use that to their advantage. I'm a bit disappointed because I thought every MOTW was going to be music related but then we got a cake monster, missed opportunity. Some pretty decent fights so far too but I don't expect that to last too long! Hummy makes me laugh for unknown reasons, she's also adorable so that's good too. MadP tells me this becomes a train wreck so I guess I'm looking forward to that, I'll have AmiKoshi to comfort me.

ALSO OH MY GOD THE ED IS THE MOST BALLER THING EVER AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

Futari wa precure was pretty fun. A lot of lacrosse episodes though which got very repetitive. The ending was pretty silid though. Season 1 was a great kicking off point.
Avoid Max heart at all costs.
and though I understand your love for tomboys I definitely enjoyed Honokas charms more.

AVOID MAX HEART
AVOID MAX HEART
AVOID MAX HEART

Futari wa Precure 1-3

And so my easily-being-influenced by fanart continues. After going through Heartcatch and most of Smile just before it feels odd to have a villain that's all evil and no comedic relief via his main general leader guys, this Pissard guy is a scary fucker! Though that means it's up to the mascots to provide the comic relief and they're sort of aggravating so far-mepo. The dynamic between Nagisa and Honoka hasn't really done much for me yet, but they (especially Nagisa, ALL OF MY HNNNNNNG) are adorable anyhow and have 40+ episodes to bond and make me feel warm feelings. The fights are what I assume is standard for a good amount of Cure series: get beat up a bit > YOU CAN'T DO THAT I WON'T LET YOU > super move and I've mostly grown to accept it, though I do hope there are some good ones even if I have to wait til the end.

Suite Precure 1-4

Oh no another one! I find it hilarious how Hibiki and Kanade will just fucking go at each other at the drop of a hat and how the villains use that to their advantage. I'm a bit disappointed because I thought every MOTW was going to be music related but then we got a cake monster, missed opportunity. Some pretty decent fights so far too but I don't expect that to last too long! Hummy makes me laugh for unknown reasons, she's also adorable so that's good too. MadP tells me this becomes a train wreck so I guess I'm looking forward to that, I'll have AmiKoshi to comfort me.

ALSO OH MY GOD THE ED IS THE MOST BALLER THING EVER AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

Just a heads up in regards to Futari wa, but Fujipi is a shit.

Like... the worst love interest in the entire franchise.

That's not saying they aren't similar. They are in fact. And against those three shows, you should not chose Index over them.

Well yeah, against those shows it doesn't stand a chance. But it's still very good and as far as shonen-esque action shows go, TMNI is pretty decent too. Even with the world's biggest harem.

Vecks

Hajime No Ippo
Hunter x Hunter
Gintama

Considering that HxH (unless you're talking about the old one) and Ippo are releasing new eps right now, go for Gintama first.

Considering that HxH (unless you're talking about the old one) and Ippo are releasing new eps right now, go for Gintama first.

Hajime no Ippo Rising maybe, but the original show? That's already done.

Not sure of his pacing, but I don't think it'll matter since Rising is going to end in a few weeks anyway.

Westlo

After much thought on Samurai Flamenco 7.......... fuck it I'm in, VIVA TORTURE.

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 6 - Shows you how much I payed attention to the non Uka/Touma parts of the manga. I'd forgotten about both Inari almost granting a wish to Sumizome as well as Sumizome crushing on Keiko.

Also...yay. A Uka/Touma scene. So wish the balance was more even.

I don't mind the other parts of the show but the amount of focus they get compared to other aspects in the manga is a tad frustrating...

Hajime No Ippo
Hunter x Hunter
Gintama

You already listed the right order
rejoice.png

Though I haven't watched as much Gintama as the other two so I'm more biased towards them. Maybe you should just split them up too since they have a heap of episodes... like...

Watch all of the first season of Ippo + Movie IIRC, Watch Hunter X Hunter upto the end of Greed Island, Watch a fair amount of Gintama (50-100 eps whatever), watch the second season of Ippo in New Challenger (Takumura vs Brian Hawk, what a slobberknocker), watch chimera ants arc of Hunter etc.

Or fuck just watch a couple eps of all 3 of them and go with the one that interests you more, you really can't go wrong with any of these 3 series. I personally think Ippo had the more interesting first few eps of these 3.

Oddly enough, I can't really say go with the first 3 episodes. The first two is like... having a large chunk of characters already there, and ep 3 is the real starting point of the show.

Nevermind having a rougher start than Ippo and HxH

cnet128

Banned
I believe you may be conflating two different spoilers there.

Suspicion confirmed! =p Now I'm tempted to suspect Erika's big sister of being Cure Moonlight instead, but that would probably be too obvious. Besides, she's basically an expy of Miki from Fresh...

Everybody should play Danganronpa instead~

I wholeheartedly support this opinion.

I watched the anime. I understand it doesn't compare to the game and all, but I got what I needed from it.

I wholeheartedly resent this opinion.

If you're a fan of awful art I suppose.

And this one.

Barakamon will be animated by Kinema Citrus.

Ooh, this looks nice. It's yet another variant on the "discovering the wonders of rural life" formula that seems to be all the rage lately, but I can't complain since I enjoy that formula (and this one looks like it'll have plenty to make it stand out from the crowd).

My approval rating also increased significantly when I did a little research and confirmed that the kid in that image is definitely female. Fuck yeah countryside tomboy loli.

Futari wa Precure 1-3

they (especially Nagisa, ALL OF MY HNNNNNNG) are adorable

This guy gets it =D

Sword Art Online Extra Edition

So I have a policy that I can't drop shows. And sadly enough, that extends to movies of those shows. I just found out this exist.

So, before I go make some food and then dive headfirst into this pit of despair, is this movie any good? At all?

Not really a movie, more of a glorified recap with some fun hijinks attached and an introduction to a character who will be relevant in the series going forward.

Hey man Nadeko Medusa and Hitagi End were both just this past year.

Happy Bite beats both of those OPs.

Higurashi Kai 1

HELL YES AKASAKA IN DA HOUSE. HELL YES OISHI UP IN HURR.

Awwwww yeahhhhhhh

So let's talk.
It's obvious we're still in World 4. The one where Rika murders Uncle Houjou and Rina, where she gets Takano's journal and goes mad from the revelation. Where Keichi realizes they've been trapped in an endless cycle. Originally, I'd assumed we were in World 3 again, where Keichi kills Uncle Houjou, since that was the one where the disaster occurred.

It's now apparent, then, that no matter what Hinamizawa must end that way. Except possibly in World 2, since Shion murders basically the entire Sonozaki family, and thereby possibly prevents the research from reaching the point of catastrophe. Possibly. Meaning Keiichi, Rena, and Satoko survive that reality. Though I don't know if Rika does or not, since death seems to be how she passes from one world to the next.

...Rika and Satoko? Survive the Watanagashi-hen/Meakashi-hen continuity? Did you forget the scenes where Rika stabbed herself multiple times in the head and Shion murdered Satoko in the most brutal fashion possible
? >.>

The chief concern I have at the moment is Furude Rika. Before I address something that nags me about the end of last season and this season's opening, I need to address Rika's involvement with Oyashiro-Sama. In World 2 Shion calls her Oyashiro's reincarnation. Since we know something weird is going on with her, Shion might not have been that far off. But what is most important about Shion's encounter with Deep Rika is that Deep Rika had a syringe with something in it. Now, apparently the syringe we see in World 1 is a fake, and Keichi had just gone mad. However, Rena starts going mad, too, and we know that Rika did have a syringe prepared for her, just as she did for Shion. And we know that Rena, much like Tomitake and the Keichi of World 1 began to claw at her own throat.

So here's where I'm not entirely clear. When does Rika appear to Rena with this syringe? Does she do so prior to the death of Rina and Houjou, or after the battle with Keichi atop the rooftop? Because her unusual statement of "I'm bored with this Hinamizawa" conflicts with her speeches throughout the rest of World 4, where she tells Keichi that they can overcome this evil, and where she taunts the real mastermind that they will survive the Endless June. Is it possible that Rika is both tormentor and victim? That Rika is her own enemy? That the one with the deep voice is foe and the one with high pitched niiipaaaas is the victim? Or the other way around?

I may be remembering things slightly wrong, but I didn't think there was any ambiguity about when Rika
appeared to Rena with the syringe. Wasn't it when she was holed up in her car-sanctuary growing more and more paranoid, shortly before Keiichi went down there to find her and got rebuffed with the revelations about his own past? Which would be a long time after the murder of Rina and Teppei.

Just a heads up in regards to Futari wa, but Fujipi is a shit.

Like... the worst love interest in the entire franchise.

I'm not seeing this. I guess Fuji-P isn't particularly developed as a character and doesn't have much to help him stand out, but he still seemed like a perfectly nice guy. I know I liked him (though this may be more due to associating his presence with Nagisa being unspeakably cute than through any of his own merits =p)

I'm not seeing this. I guess Fuji-P isn't particularly developed as a character and doesn't have much to help him stand out, but he still seemed like a perfectly nice guy. I know I liked him (though this may be more due to associating his presence with Nagisa being unspeakably cute than through any of his own merits =p)

Fuji-P is shittier than Brian. And Brian only had one episode (in Smile Precure).

Dude's pretty much an airhead, and his existence is part of why Max Heart is horrible
because it inflated the amount of Nagisa focused episodes

Why do they call it Hunter x Hunter rather than Hunter²?

The reason is ....
Author Yoshihiro Togashi explained that one of his hobbies is collecting objects of all sorts, so he was inspired to create a manga involving collecting titled "Hunter".[9] He came up with the final name Hunter × Hunter while watching the television variety show Downtown, in which the hosts often repeated what they said to make the audience laugh
Taken from wikipedia

wonzo

Banned
Witch Craft Work 7

witchcraftw7.jpg

Still good dumb fun though I don't quite remember the stuff in the PV so maybe this is gonna pull an original end of sorts (unlikely with the OP). Not that I'd complain as the current arc in the manga is really bad. :/

Nah, I just checked and it's still doing things by the book but hopefully Mizushima can make it better!

GBF 19

gundambf19.jpg

samurai gunndam when???

D-Frag! 7

Easily the dullest episode yet. :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Chuunibyou Ren 6

Hey, progress!
Still the weirdest relationship ever. Though they're definitely teasing the big kiss for the final episode. At least I hope.

And with that, I'm all caught up. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom