• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar Final- Overall Impressions

Holy shit where do I begin.

This was pretty much better than the original series in every way possible. Not only did they turn the animation up a notch, but damn the story really likes to kick you in the feels at every way possible. I mean, there’s
a torture scene, Guy getting his ass handed to him, and a scene of Guy being forced to attack his best friend in furious, betrayed tears.

Guy’s struggle to defeat the 11 Soul Masters goes from being downright painful to watch, to being so entertaining to see. When Guy
started ripping Palparepa’s mech apart in a shining green aura of rage, I almost couldn’t contain my excitement. This was the kind of moment I was waiting for ever since I started this show. Unlike in the last show where it was mostly the power of friendship that lead everyone to victory, this time it’s all about the courage yo! Seriously, that was one of the most amazing, testosterone-filled final battles I’ve ever seen.

I kinda expected Guy to go out in a manly sacrifice. What I wasn’t expecting was all the autobots DYING from sacrificing their power to give Guy one last shot at defeating the enemy, and all the 3G members being trapped in some hyper dimensional vortex for all eternity. But then it just got worse! The 3G members put Mamoru and Kaidou in missiles that will allow them to go back to Earth, leaving him to gaze upon his fallen heroes that he’ll never see again for the rest of his life T_T. This kid is gonna have some serious survivor’s guilt issues.

So final verdict: Whether you liked or didn’t like the original GaoGaiGar, the Final OVA is a must watch if you made it through the original. Whatever complaints I may have had in the original series were completely absent here.

All right now that that's over with, it's time I kept my word to PsychoNinja and started up Angel Beats. Gonna tackle through Bakemonogatari at the same time as well.

My personal favorite moments from the show's run that you have not mentioned in this post:

1) Guy dying and being brought back to life by the viewer's wishes.
2) Using the Goldion Hammer to smash a SUN.

My personal favorite moments from the show's run that you have not mentioned in this post:

1) Guy dying and being brought back to life by the viewer's wishes.
2) Using the Goldion Hammer to smash a SUN.

Ah yes those two. Everything (mostly the voice acting though) during those scenes was godlike.
It was moments like those (mostly the latter) that made me really understand where the TTGL comparisons came from in this show.

But do you know what's better than both GaoGaiGar and TTGL?

How about both of them fighting each other?

I'm going to give Noragami a shot. Sounds pretty cool!

Like others have said, it's one of the better shows this season, but it seems to be struggling with what it wants to do, that's a source material issue though. The animation and character designs are damn good.

Seems like the upcoming episode the anime finally goes to what it wants to do, but so far it's been a bit aimless.

How do you guys feel about Eden of the East? Is it usually well regarded? After Steins; Gate (which I loved), I started this series on a whim. I got through all the episodes + the first movie (King of Eden). For some reason I can't fully love it. I don't know what it is. I think the characters are kind of vanilla, especially Saki. She doesn't really add much to the plot, and kind of just runs around. Takizawa is all kinds of perfect (to an annoying degree). I dunno.

There are elements of the plot that are interesting. The show even has some pretty dark/gritty moments. It's got the social/political commentary etc. But it all kind of feels hollow to me. Guess I'll start the final movie today.

It's an interesting show and worth finishing imho, but something was off from making it an amazing show. Maybe the resolution at the end of the movies, maybe it was the weird combination of art design with the plot. Or maybe it was a bit too ultra-japanese in its message of NEETs to the point it doesn't transfer that well overseas.

One thing is for sure though, it was a hit with my friends when I first started to introduce them to anime, as it's another one of those anime where the presentation and plot (outside of the focus of NEETs) is universal enough. I still recommend it to people regularly, but there are better shows.

Mononoke

Banned
Like others have said, it's one of the better shows this season, but it seems to be struggling with what it wants to do, that's a source material issue though. The animation and character designs are damn good.

Seems like the upcoming episode the anime finally goes to what it wants to do, but so far it's been a bit aimless.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm willing to watch since it's currently airing. Right now I'm watching single episodes as they air and am marathoning through shows that are done.

Kuudere archetype at work. She looks rather emotionless, despite having great feelings for the MC. Combined with her otherwise beautiful physical appearance, it serves to reenforce that 'cool, but untouchable' image people have of her.

Still, she doesnt look particularly good looking besides having gigantic boobs. I also hate the way they draw her mouth so much farther down from her nose. Makes her look goofy

Hattori

Banned
GBF 3-4
This show continues to be awesome, but Reiji seems to be the weakest link so far. He just doesn't have the same pull as Sei in my opinion.
I hope Kiraran is a recurring character she seems like she would be a fun side character.

Gbraga

Still, she doesnt look particularly good looking besides having gigantic boobs. I also hate the way they draw her mouth so much farther down from her nose. Makes her look goofy

I don't even think her boobs are really attractive, but I also like the fact that they made such a huge character be idealized, it's really cool.

I'd normally be intimidated by someone like her, but you end up warming up to her because she's adorable. :3

fertygo

Macross : Do You Remember Love (Rewatch)

God I love this movie so much, its feel even better after rewatch.. the climax.. oh boy I just realize they're so perfectly build up... From Hikaru affair with Minmay to his turnaround to Misa, oh man what a great triangle love story.

ovhlgiQ.jpg

3jqtORE.jpg
LjOhBPn.jpg

Death glare between love rivals

mG74bvF.jpg
C5h9cBl.jpg

But its not last long!

Never forget!

Link Man

Banned
The Devil is a Part-Timer! 12

ibdXeRUjBsZrkt.jpg

I guess my fears were unfounded, as the humor returned full-force this episode. Was afraid it was heading into Sword Art Online territory for a minute there, though.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks for the explanation, I'm still pretty ignorant when it comes to genres. I guess I was just a little bummed, because I really loved Steins; Gate. I didn't expect them to be the same at all. I just mean, I felt sad that the ride was over. So was trying to tackle something else to take my mind off it. Instead I just got something that feels..kind of safe and hollow. But it was my fault, for obviously not doing more research (into the genre, and what people thought of it).

In all fairness Stejns;Gate gives you that void feeling where you crave something else like it but nothing really fills it.

CorvoSol

Ah yes those two. Everything (mostly the voice acting though) during those scenes was godlike.
It was moments like those (mostly the latter) that made me really understand where the TTGL comparisons came from in this show.

But do you know what's better than both GaoGaiGar and TTGL?

How about both of them fighting each other?

Super Robot Wars refuses to indulge me in this.

Macross : Do You Remember Love (Rewatch)

God I love this movie so much, its feel even better after rewatch.. the climax.. oh boy I just realize they're so perfectly build up... From Hikaru affair with Minmay to his turnaround to Misa, oh man what a great triangle love story.

Never forget!

Speaking of, I've acquired a copy of Do You Remember Love, so I'll probably try and watch that in the near future. Cajun should be picking up FMP, so I need to start Kino's today, I think.

I feel sort of bad, though, cuz it sounds like Cajun is watching both seasons of FMP, which clocks out at quite a few more episodes than Kino's.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Strange+ Episode 7:

Speaking of the crazy train, we have this show, I will say I would totally watch a program that turned waiting in line for, say, an iPhone into an Japanese game show obstacle course.

cajunator

Banned
Super Robot Wars refuses to indulge me in this.

Speaking of, I've acquired a copy of Do You Remember Love, so I'll probably try and watch that in the near future. Cajun should be picking up FMP, so I need to start Kino's today, I think.

I feel sort of bad, though, cuz it sounds like Cajun is watching both seasons of FMP, which clocks out at quite a few more episodes than Kino's.

Its out for delivery now.
Im getting several things with this shipment:

Wagnaria!!2 Blu-ray Complete Box Set
Robotics;Notes DVD/Blu-ray Part 1
Medaka Box Abnormal Blu-ray Complete Col
Hidamari Sketch Blu-ray Collection (S)
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid Blu-ray
Full Metal Panic! Blu-ray Complete Col
AKB0048 Season 2: Next Stage Blu-ray Complete Col

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Its out for delivery now.
Im getting several things with this shipment:

Wagnaria!!2 Blu-ray Complete Box Set
Robotics;Notes DVD/Blu-ray Part 1
Medaka Box Abnormal Blu-ray Complete Col
Hidamari Sketch Blu-ray Collection (S)
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid Blu-ray
Full Metal Panic! Blu-ray Complete Col
AKB0048 Season 2: Next Stage Blu-ray Complete Col

Still no Mai Otome in sight there.

Angel Beats - 1

Uhhhhh....Okay.

I'm just as lost as to what's going on as the main character is. Perhaps that was the point? Some of the jokes here kind of fell flat on their face while others I'll admit made me chuckle.

Seriously, when
that hammer came out from the ceiling I opened up a new tab and played the Looney Tunes outro music. Because that's what I felt like I was watching at that point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Given that Sentai picked up rights to it, I'd be inclined to wait and see if they put BDs of it out anyway.

Well, maybe I wouldn't be inclined, but I have the Japanese sets already.

Actually Funimation picked up the entire My Hime project license.

DiGiKerot

Actually Funimation picked up the entire My Hime project license.

Ah, my mistake - I knew Funimation and Sentai pretty much announced the whole of the old Bandai Ent/Sunrise batch of properties back at Otakon last year, but couldn't remember how they'd divided it up. SoraKakeGirl was the Sunrise 8 production that Sentai picked up, now that I think about it.

jman2050

First three minutes of KLK 19

MAKO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Midonin

Z/X Ignition 06

I was looking forward to this one since it was a Chitose episode (Marei power!), but around the halfway point of the episode it stopped being about her and became more about Alexander the Great (who, being voiced by Hiyama, is pretty cool) destroying the hell out of things. I liked the idea of a town where Z/X and humans live in peaceful coexistence, I just thought the episode would have more Chitose than it actually did. Still not bad, though.

CorvoSol

Orphen 20

So to recap.

Orphen is a fucking moron who distances himself from the people who truly love and care about him because he's been white knighting for a woman who SURPRISE SURPRISE
is in fact the very embodiment of the vanity and evil that Orphen has imputed onto the Tower of Fang, Childman, and Hardia.
I continue to watch for the inevitable moment when Orphen realizes what a complete idiot and asshole he has been this entire series.

cnet128

Banned
Nagi no Asu Kara 20

Aw yiss Manaka's awake! ...Now Hikari can stop worrying about her and get together with Miuna. NO ARGUMENTS, THAT IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN BECAUSE I SAY SO.

I liked the classroom scene with Kaname and Sayu. Felt like possibly the first time they've spoken to each other since the timeskip without it being weird and awkward. They really need to spend more time together.

Kill la Kill - 19

Dammit Ryuko! Yeesh, of all the times to see her become more of a jerk, it's AFTER she perfects life-fibre synchronize with Senketsu in the last episode.

UGGGH that scene with Ragyo and Satsuki. Can that creepy fanservice please stop?

Is that a Tengen Toppa Kamui Ragyo's making?

All dem Gamagoori X Mako OTP feels were everywhere in this episode.

Ohhhh boy, I cannot wait to see what Satsuki has in store for Ragyo. Shit is going to get even more realer than it already was.

Midonin

Kill La Kill 19

And the show has changed once again in tone and scope and everything else. As far as I see it, that scene with Satsuki and her mother isn't really "fanservice" in the traditional sense of the word. It's simply a scene of exploitation. Doesn't make it any less creepy, merely trying to recontextualize it.

Seeing Nonon and Mako be a part of Nudist Beach is entertaining, and I can't stop chuckling at the name "DTR", for reasons that really only relate to me. Good to have confirmation that Ryuko and Satsuki aren't half sisters, but full sisters, and her father really was her father, he just intentionally made himself into a mad scientist.

Poor Senketsutaros. Loved by Mako's mom, but hated by his owner. Don't worry little guy, your day in the sun will come again. I have no idea where the show is going to go from here, but I'm looking forward to it.

Ryuko at the end of the episode.

jman2050

Kill la Kill 19

Highlights time!

- MAKO NOOOOOOOwell she's alive, that's still better than I expected.
- So everyone gets eaten and we get a month-long time skip with the heroes out of commission. This really is the new S-cry-ed!
- My reaction to Nonon's entrance http://i.imgur.com/tUPVgYQ.gif
- Covers eats most everyone in Japan while our heroes can only fall back and watch. Also Ms Mankanshoko seems to have her eye on a certain person's... you know
- Ryuko in a coma, Mako's parents and Senketsu watching.
- Gamagoori getting chummy with the parents, OTP OTP OTP
- Gamagoori swears to Mataro to save Mako OTP OTP OTP OTP OTP
- Holy crap Ragyo is a creepy old witch. Satsuki taking it stone-faced.
- Exposition ho
- Covers arrives, new weapon that saves the eaten human while killing the Covers, and of course Mako is in one of them, and of course Gamagoori immediately saves Mako without a second thought OTP OTP OTP OTP OTP OTP OTP
- Naked Mako being Mako, Gamagoori being embarrassed, teased about flirting, "we'll talk later" OTP OTP OTP OTP OTP OTP OTP http://i.imgur.com/qk6qr2N.gif
-OH yeah Ryuko wakes up something something destroys Covers while saving people inside something hates herself and won't wear Senketsu something something who cares about any of that shit GAMAGOORixMAKO OTP OTP

Oh god I feel like SDBurton now, I need to lay down or something.

CorvoSol

Persona 4 20

"I'm good at being alone and I never open the door for strangers!"

KNIFE. IN THE. GUTS.

Anyway, one of the things I did enjoy about this episode is that Yukiko has feelings for Yu that, unless you romance her, are never really that stated in the game. I thought they did a good job of showing that by having her originally just invite Yu and Nanako to the inn, before it evolves into a greater group activity.

And of course Yu failing to stand his ground while taking buckets to the face was a riot.

Mononoke

Banned
Blah. Just finished Eden of the East's second movie. Dat ending. So unsatisfied. But it's okay. On the whole I enjoyed enough that I don't feel too let down. At the same time the entire experience felt so...lacking and muted. Well on to the next thing!

Strike Witches 2 - 1-12 END
While it was a slight retread on similar story beats, this second season was like seeing a dedicated, if pervy, team refining their craft and making an all around better show than the first season. Thankfully, they dialed back on the dramatic backstories and created better scenarios to fit the comedy and slice of life tone more. With the second season, there were actually some decent attempts at setting up jokes and foreshadowing that simply weren't nearly as present in the first season. They even managed to make the most out of the lowbrow ep. 7 by working in some fun situational gags that I enjoyed quite a bit. Many of the side characters were also given more screen time this go around, which helped with creating fun dynamics throughout the majority of the season.

Another one of the more noticeable changes was its generally higher production quality. And they were able to take advantage of this by being able to have a nice variety of locations with good background art. Gone are the days of low budget far away running shots, awkward cuts, and frequently re-used shots. Moving away from Gonzo to AIC was one of the best things that happened to this series.

Lastly, it was nice to see this end well without including some kind of an asspull like the
transformer
from last season that they barely hinted at all. The whole season had been quietly building up this arc for Sakamoto, and I was glad to get to a satisfying enough ending that paid off.
Not giving the captain of the Yamato a beard was a huge missed opportunity, though.
Season 3 when.

501st + 1 31st: Shirley > Perrine > Gertrud > Minna > Hanna > Sakamoto > Lynette > Yoshika > Eila = Lucchini > Erica > Sanya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom