• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyne

Just finished marathon'ing Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari, and Monogatari Series Second Season..........

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkk meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I wanted more so badly that I looked up the novels... they aren't even fully translated. I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Westlo

I wanted more so badly that I looked up the novels... they aren't even fully translated. I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.

No point translating what's going to get an anime anyway... also you forgot Kizu (movie this decade please shaft) which does have a translation out and it's the crown jewel of the franchise. Read that, also read Zaregoto another Nisio work.

sonicmj1

Rozen Maiden Z 7

Finally, some answers.

I like the development in this episode. We can see how Jun continues to keep the people that care about him at a distance because of his own insecurities. He feels like he needs the dolls to change the world, but he's so much closer to fixing everything himself than he realizes. If he just understood all the things he already has...

Some of this stuff feels far too relevant to my life, actually.

ib27BfiwB6Ex9w.jpg

This was a cool filter.

I really liked the call from his sister in terms of the tone, how it kind of briefly brightened Jun's world, but her voice acting really bothered me. It was the kind of sing-songy impossibly-high female accent that makes people tell you not to learn all your Japanese from anime, lest you sound like a total freak. Saito comes close to that line, but Jun's sister blows past it.

iYyaTz6csNGyM.jpg

At the start of the call, when Jun's trying to deny how unhappy he is, we see him from this angle. It makes him look small compared to the world.

irv1gIancWutq.jpg

Then, as he calms down, and after we see shots of Shinku waiting around, we eventually return to this framing, where he seems centered, stable, and in-scale.

It feels like Jun overcoming his problems will be instrumental to all the Rozen Maiden fighting crap, so I'm glad they're well-connected.

Just finished marathon'ing Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari, and Monogatari Series Second Season..........

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkk meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Not even sure you would have the answer you seek for in those books.Nisio know what his audience wants so he keeps the good stuff hidden the most time possible while giving his readers just a tiny bit to keep them going ....

and that's works .... i'm still reading

cnet128

Banned
Speaking of precure.
whats yall favorite transformation music?

Futari wa to Suite
http://youtu.be/y81NPq0ikgE

Smile
http://youtu.be/2LVFhuJSc1Q

Dokidoki
http://youtu.be/9YJWcYgL1aw

Hapcha
http://youtu.be/vF9JuDlNmCc

Don't really want to listen to music for series I haven't got to yet, but out of the ones I've seen so far... Well, they're all pretty good, but I think for me:

Max Heart (Cures) > Futari wa > Splash Star (Bloom+Egret) > GoGo (Cures) = Yes > Fresh > GoGo (Milky Rose) > Max Heart (Luminous) > Heartcatch > Splash Star (Bright+Windy)

It's really close between those top three, though. Heartcatch position likely to change since I'm not really used to that one yet.

EDIT: Added helpful links to my ranking =D

cajunator

Banned
Don't really want to listen to music for series I haven't got to yet, but out of the ones I've seen so far... Well, they're all pretty good, but I think for me:

Max Heart (Cures) > Futari wa > Splash Star (Bloom+Egret) > GoGo (Cures) = Yes > Fresh > GoGo (Milky Rose) > Max Heart (Luminous) > Heartcatch > Splash Star (Bright+Windy)

It's really close between those top three, though. Heartcatch position likely to change since I'm not really used to that one yet.

Suite is my favorite one. Ive only seen the original series.

CorvoSol

...Rika and Satoko? Survive the Watanagashi-hen/Meakashi-hen continuity? Did you forget the scenes where Rika stabbed herself multiple times in the head and Shion murdered Satoko in the most brutal fashion possible
? >.>

I may be remembering things slightly wrong, but I didn't think there was any ambiguity about when Rika
appeared to Rena with the syringe. Wasn't it when she was holed up in her car-sanctuary growing more and more paranoid, shortly before Keiichi went down there to find her and got rebuffed with the revelations about his own past? Which would be a long time after the murder of Rina and Teppei.

1. Yeah I forgot that. It was late and my brain was melty at that point.
2. It's sorta ambiguous. Cuz they don't even show that in S1. It just happens via flashback in S2.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 70

The TV show audition process in this world is crazy, more like an amusement park tour than anything else. A story almost all about the Dream Academy girls, some Indiana Jonesing, and why you should never trust the computer to make decisions for you. I think, of the DA girls, Sora and Seira are my favorites, they're all fine in and of themselves... but seriously, the show needs more Kaede and Yurika.

Defuser

Inari Konkon Koi no Iroha ep 6
hmmmmmmm...more Uka x Touka shipping...this I like.

jWWNRTM.png

Uka-sama looks damn beautiful with black hair.

Articalys mentioned a few days ago that the Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha anime website was having a vote to see what the official shorthand/abbreviation for the title should be. The vote is now over and it looks like the result is InaKon with 7141 votes.

http://inarikonkon.jp/result/
Whats the point when this show is finishing in 4 episodes :(

Midonin

Engaged to the Unidentified 07

So there are more of them. Since their human forms look undeniably human, it's easy enough to not notice. I like the character dynamics they're setting up here. Oh, cosmic irony. The one person who wants to get closer to Benio can't, and those who she wants to get close to want no part of it. That Mashiro just casually admitted to cheating is cute, and also a little devious.

GaoGaiGar Final- Overall Impressions

Holy shit where do I begin.

This was pretty much better than the original series in every way possible. Not only did they turn the animation up a notch, but damn the story really likes to kick you in the feels at every way possible. I mean, there’s
a torture scene, Guy getting his ass handed to him, and a scene of Guy being forced to attack his best friend in furious, betrayed tears.

Guy’s struggle to defeat the 11 Soul Masters goes from being downright painful to watch, to being so entertaining to see. When Guy
started ripping Palparepa’s mech apart in a shining green aura of rage, I almost couldn’t contain my excitement. This was the kind of moment I was waiting for ever since I started this show. Unlike in the last show where it was mostly the power of friendship that lead everyone to victory, this time it’s all about the courage yo! Seriously, that was one of the most amazing, testosterone-filled final battles I’ve ever seen.

I kinda expected Guy to go out in a manly sacrifice. What I wasn’t expecting was all the autobots DYING from sacrificing their power to give Guy one last shot at defeating the enemy, and all the 3G members being trapped in some hyper dimensional vortex for all eternity. But then it just got worse! The 3G members put Mamoru and Kaidou in missiles that will allow them to go back to Earth, leaving him to gaze upon his fallen heroes that he’ll never see again for the rest of his life T_T. This kid is gonna have some serious survivor’s guilt issues.

So final verdict: Whether you liked or didn’t like the original GaoGaiGar, the Final OVA is a must watch if you made it through the original. Whatever complaints I may have had in the original series were completely absent here.

All right now that that's over with, it's time I kept my word to PsychoNinja and started up Angel Beats. Gonna tackle through Bakemonogatari at the same time as well.

Witch Craft Works

My God this show is just so stupid.

The character designs are really nice, except for Kagari. She looks so damn plain and always looks extremely uninterested.

The main lead is just so useless too

Theonik

Happiness Charge PreCure 02
That was an OK episode. I really like Hime's "Run away" attitude and cure lovely is still lovely.
It seems like things are coming together finally!
Also lol kindabads.

OceanBlue

Tokyo Ravens 19

Oooh, so that's what cnet128 was talking about!

Between this and episode seven of The Pilot's Love Song (which I watched right before this), there have been a couple of really big shifts lol. I was surprised that the information about Natsume reached both Kurahashis in such a regular way, but Souma and Chief Kurahashi's reactions next episode should be really good. I'm really interested in the next episode.

Votoms 28-30

Back to watching Votoms again after a bit of a break following the Kummen arc. Actually, I didn't really watch ep 28 since it was a recap episode.

The new arc starting out is pretty good. Seeing a mentally/emotionally compromised Chirico was certainly interesting, especially considering how he's held up to this point after all the physical stress he's endured.

Theonik

Happiness Charge PreCure 03
That was a close save at the end. Good thing too!
The CG forms were kinda lame. It's a good thing I'd seen Kirby's post or I'd be really disappointed.
This isn't so bad though tbh. Certainly better than Smile's opening episodes.

Link Man

Banned
Engaged to the Unidentified 7

So, we meet two new characters this episode!

ibgD8S0ef3zLo2.jpg

i2bObkXyaVb1K.jpg

And apparently Hakuya follows in the tradition of InuYasha.

However, we can't forget Benio!

ibyQJTJZZN4mvy.jpg

ilQebk0QiupbH.jpg

itpsDxJKAleEv.jpg

(I think I just scared off some potential watchers...)

iDcutu5rBwk0d.jpg

irrG8h8cxAfo1.jpg

...why does she get so much screentime?

Overall, another fun episode, with an interesting complication. I just wish the show could go on forever...

:(

Midonin

Nagi no Asukara 20

Manaka's awake. This is going to lead some complications.
Some nice introspection from Sayu and Miuna, and the fairy tale aspects did fit into the established setting. Curious about where this is going to go.

Mononoke

Banned
How do you guys feel about Eden of the East? Is it usually well regarded? After Steins; Gate (which I loved), I started this series on a whim. I got through all the episodes + the first movie (King of Eden). For some reason I can't fully love it. I don't know what it is. I think the characters are kind of vanilla, especially Saki. She doesn't really add much to the plot, and kind of just runs around. Takizawa is all kinds of perfect (to an annoying degree). I dunno.

There are elements of the plot that are interesting. The show even has some pretty dark/gritty moments. It's got the social/political commentary etc. But it all kind of feels hollow to me. Guess I'll start the final movie today.

Witch Craft Works

My God this show is just so stupid.

The character designs are really nice, except for Kagari. She looks so damn plain and always looks extremely uninterested.

The main lead is just so useless too

Kuudere archetype at work. She looks rather emotionless, despite having great feelings for the MC. Combined with her otherwise beautiful physical appearance, it serves to reenforce that 'cool, but untouchable' image people have of her.

cajunator

Banned
How do you guys feel about Eden of the East? Is it usually well regarded? After Steins; Gate (which I loved), I started this series on a whim. I got through all the episodes + the first movie (King of Eden). For some reason I can't fully love it. I don't know what it is. I think the characters are kind of vanilla, especially Saki. She doesn't really add much to the plot, and kind of just runs around. Takizawa is all kinds of perfect (to an annoying degree). I dunno.

There are elements of the plot that are interesting. The show even has some pretty dark/gritty moments. It's got the social/political commentary etc. But it all kind of feels hollow to me. Guess I'll start the final movie today.

Your view of it is generally how animegaf seems to regard it.

Mononoke

Banned
Your view of it is generally how animegaf seems to regard it.

Ah okay. Well that's kind of a bummer. Was hoping the show could be more. :/

Guess I'll finish it up and try to find something next to marathon. I've been keeping up on this Season's Anime, while also going back and finding shows that are done.

BluWacky

I think it helps to contextualise the series in terms of its target audience - that is "girls and other people who don't normally watch anime" (it aired in the noitaminA timeslot). The Saki/Takizawa relationship is straight out of shoujo manga central (and indeed, the director hired Chica Umino, a well known josei mangaka, for the character designs), and Saki herself is pretty much an audience stand-in figure - not in terms of being a Mary Sue perfect person or anything, but in terms of representing the viewpoint of the target demographic, young college graduates who don't see a future in the Japanese economy at the time of the series's first airing.

I'm not sure the show ever successfully reconciles Takizawa's conspiracy thriller plotline with Saki's college life but it makes an admirable stab at it.

I asked Kenji Kamiyama, the director of the series, once if he was interested in a global perspective in the anime he makes. His answer was that he was predominantly concerned with a Japanese audience at all times. I wonder whether Eden of the East is less "hollow" to those experiencing the particularly Japanese version of the economic crisis at the end of the 00s.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ah okay. Well that's kind of a bummer. Was hoping the show could be more. :/

Guess I'll finish it up and try to find something next to marathon. I've been keeping up on this Season's Anime, while also going back and finding shows that are done.

watch Utena if you haven't

Mononoke

Banned
I think it helps to contextualise the series in terms of its target audience - that is "girls and other people who don't normally watch anime" (it aired in the noitaminA timeslot). The Saki/Takizawa relationship is straight out of shoujo manga central (and indeed, the director hired Chica Umino, a well known josei mangaka, for the character designs), and Saki herself is pretty much an audience stand-in figure - not in terms of being a Mary Sue perfect person or anything, but in terms of representing the viewpoint of the target demographic, young college graduates who don't see a future in the Japanese economy at the time of the series's first airing.

I'm not sure the show ever successfully reconciles Takizawa's conspiracy thriller plotline with Saki's college life but it makes an admirable stab at it.

I asked Kenji Kamiyama, the director of the series, once if he was interested in a global perspective in the anime he makes. His answer was that he was predominantly concerned with a Japanese audience at all times. I wonder whether Eden of the East is less "hollow" to those experiencing the particularly Japanese version of the economic crisis at the end of the 00s.

Thanks for the explanation, I'm still pretty ignorant when it comes to genres. I guess I was just a little bummed, because I really loved Steins; Gate. I didn't expect them to be the same at all. I just mean, I felt sad that the ride was over. So was trying to tackle something else to take my mind off it. Instead I just got something that feels..kind of safe and hollow. But it was my fault, for obviously not doing more research (into the genre, and what people thought of it).

It was an interesting show that ended up a disappointment because of some really poor writing.

OceanBlue

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 6

One thing I really appreciate is that (aside from the first episode lol), the show doesn't mind taking its time with scenes even though it's only going to be 10 episodes long. Why does this show have to end so soon? ;_;

Lol at the victory music when Marutamachi and Sumizone made up. There was a lot more music used in this episode than the last to create a more positive, easygoing atmosphere and I loved it. The pacing and editing aren't exceptional, but I personally like the pace the show sets for itself.

For an episode centered around Uka and Sumizone, I thought Inari was cute again this episode! Both Uka and Sumizone were great too though. I'll enjoy it more once Touka becomes more earnest, but I don't mind him staying a tsundere lol. Sumizone is really cute, and now that the tension between her and Marutamachi is gone, I think watching them interact will be really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom