• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

Articalys mentioned a few days ago that the Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha anime website was having a vote to see what the official shorthand/abbreviation for the title should be. The vote is now over and it looks like the result is InaKon with 7141 votes.

jGS0aydhkE3dV.png

http://inarikonkon.jp/result/

Solune

Mine is Persona? but even as good as those games are they don't hold a candle to the SNES-PS1-earlyPS2 golden age.

I applied a simple test. Are they better than FFVI, FFX, Chrono Trigger or Suikoden 2? No.

Quoting because so much truth cannot be contained on a single page.

I'm actually still catching up on PS2 RPG games that I missed,haha.
I might have to get the PSP version of the first game as well. I don't know if it's better or worse but I think the original PlayStation version is pretty expensive now.

I'm not actually sure if there are improvements or changes to the Valkyrie Profile Ultimate Hits version but barring that, the NTSC-U PSone version is the best way to play, though all versions have flaws. The PSP version is playable but just generally inferior. I encourage everyone to try the PSone version first. It's simply the best way to play the game.

CorvoSol

Mad Bull 34 1

So let's take the BRIEFEST of moments to just comment on all that is bad in this piece. It is ultimately the same manner of racist, sexist, super violent, glorifying of violent men male power fantasy that all 80s gritty cop OVAs are. The villain is a stereotypical giant black man, somehow even larger and stronger than Mad Bull himself. Women are almost universally portrayed as whores, and the ones who aren't exist solely for the sake of Mad Bull to fuck. Moreover, the episode ends with Mad Bull being excused and commended for his violence, because police brutality is excusable under these circumstances, and a cop owning all the whores in town is okay if he's using the whores to fund charitable programs. So if you're looking for a piece of fiction that is in any way not offensive, you've got the wrong show once again.

Where Mad Bull succeeds and all other similar entries on the List have thus far failed is that Mad Bull is actually entertaining. There is something worth watching going on besides the heads exploding and the tits flashing. At its heart, Mad Bull is a Buddy Cop comedy, and that basis actually grounds the anime in a way that no other entry of a similar nature on the List has. Mad Bull succeeds in portraying a dystopia by actually setting it in one: New York City. There's no need for sexdroids and tongueborgs on a rampage, because regular criminals are crazy enough on their own. In addition to comedy and what I guess is a message about not judging a guy based on narrow morals or initial impressions, there's also a fair amount of actual tension involved in Mad Bull's showdowns, especially with Curtis. And I say this bearing in mind that Mad Bull and Daizaboro face down rapists and murderers while in drag. And that while in Drag, Mad Bull rests his hand on his thrust out hip.

It's off-beat. It's racist. It's sexist. It's violent. It's stupid. But Mad Bull is actually funny, the characters are charming in their propensity to be so silly in spite of the gritty 80s OVA they inhabit. The terrible New York accents mitigate the bad voice acting by orders of magnitude. It's enjoyable.

I really cannot believe it, but where even the CRAZIEST of other 80s OVA cop dramas have shown me clones fucking their mothers with psychic powers while they fled from metal dog drowns and used their eyeball super computer to combat midgets on naked dog motorcycle women who breathed lasers, of all things, Mad Bull emerges the hairy cream of this unsightly crop.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never played FF6, 10, Chrono or Suiko.

Eat it.

Haly

I played TWEWY and it's the best Nomura-drawn belt simulator.

GaoGaiGar Final - 7

New OP version get! Aaaaand it's honestly not as good as the first one. Ah well, the GGG OP makes up for it though.

So while all our favourite autobots and GGG members come back and are prepared for a good old fashioned ass kicking (but why no Big Volfogg? :( ), Soldat-J and Renee are still suffering horribly by the kind of villains that will go on my list of "Most Despised Anime Villains" consisting of Nui Harime, Q-Vier, and many others.

But in any case, the REAL final battle of this anime is finally here. This has been one hell of a ride. The Final is already LEAGUES better than the original series so far. Now it just has to have a good, satisfying conclusion.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Revolving Youth Utena Fin
Honestly it felt like three episodes could have been cut from the last 6 without really changing anything, also no more jazzy
akio car theme :(
but it was a reasonably satisfactory ending,
Anthy pimpslapping Akio and walking out at the end made it all worth it

My world has now been revolutionized

The Adolescence of Utena

That was a lot of fun, i think I enjoyed it more than the TV serie's ending, but most importantly

oh my god that art direction was sublime ;___;

How many buckets of red paint did they use

it was worth it

I'd post screens but it'd practically be the whole movie

Haly

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Sword Art Online Extra Edition

So I have a policy that I can't drop shows. And sadly enough, that extends to movies of those shows. I just found out this exist.
So, before I go make some food and then dive headfirst into this pit of despair, is this movie any good? At all?

Dresden

yowamushi pedal - 19

Not a good episode - poorly produced and directed - with an annoying focus on Onoda's insecurities. But then, he does end up getting over them, and Manami is coming up next so hype.

when shaft had good openings

rip

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Why did akio's voice change for the movie though, was it just a lack of availability or is he supposed to be an entirely different character there?

Gazoinks

Why did akio's voice change for the movie though, was it just a lack of availability or is he supposed to be an entirely different character there?

Well it was pretty much a completely different character. His old sexy awesome voice wouldn't have really fit.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
oh yeah that dance scene was pretty amazing too, based Ikuhara

Gazoinks: That's true, but
Shiori also had a completely different role in the movie, so it just seemed a little odd,
the new VA did seem to fit his movie character better than uber sexy akio though

Saki Zenkoku-hen - The Nationals 01

So let's keep this mahjong train going.

More teams I'll have to pay attention to.

And I like the parallel they had with Saki walking past Side A's team.

GaoGaiGar Final - 8 END

Since I barely have the energy to write anything right now, let me summarize my thoughts on this final episode with a few images:

CK1aEhD.gif

350662-big_boss_salute.jpg

reverse-1233928590_citizen+kane+clapping.gif

I'll write up my overall impressions later. I....I need a moment to recover from this.

CorvoSol

Thanks for reminding me that this fucker exists by implication of there being a third Miser Brother.

If I have to live with the fact that there's a third Miser brother, THEN SO DO YOU ALL.

Higurashi Kai 1

HELL YES AKASAKA IN DA HOUSE. HELL YES OISHI UP IN HURR.

So let's talk.
It's obvious we're still in World 4. The one where Rika murders Uncle Houjou and Rina, where she gets Takano's journal and goes mad from the revelation. Where Keichi realizes they've been trapped in an endless cycle. Originally, I'd assumed we were in World 3 again, where Keichi kills Uncle Houjou, since that was the one where the disaster occurred.

It's now apparent, then, that no matter what Hinamizawa must end that way. Except possibly in World 2, since Shion murders basically the entire Sonozaki family, and thereby possibly prevents the research from reaching the point of catastrophe. Possibly. Meaning Keiichi, Rena, and Satoko survive that reality. Though I don't know if Rika does or not, since death seems to be how she passes from one world to the next.

It's also apparently that in 1978 Akasaka always visits Hinamizawa to rescue the little boy. Which means that Rika always dies in 1983. And that Akasaka's wife dies every single time. Similarly, Satoshi always dies before this. Likewise Takano and Tomitake always die on the 5th Watanagashi night. Except we know that's not true anymore, because Takano Miyo dies before that night and is then seen alive on that night and found dead after it, burned and inside a barrel. Which means that, to whatever extent that Oyashiro-Sama's curse is a real thing, Takano never qualifies as one of its victims, because she always dies before she ever even enters the shrine on the night of the Watanagashi. Or something.

Next order of business, and the chiefest of it. Bear in mind that unless something explicitly changes from world to world I assume it goes down exactly the same way. So no matter the world, Onibaba always tries to strangle Shion, for example, but Shion does not always try to strangle Mion. How much of World 2 overlaps with Worlds 3-4 I don't know, because Worlds 3-4 are very consistent with each other, while World 1 seems largely different from Worlds 2-4, particularly in that we never even meet Shion Sonozaki therein.

But I digress. The chief concern I have at the moment is Furude Rika. Before I address something that nags me about the end of last season and this season's opening, I need to address Rika's involvement with Oyashiro-Sama. In World 2 Shion calls her Oyashiro's reincarnation. Since we know something weird is going on with her, Shion might not have been that far off. But what is most important about Shion's encounter with Deep Rika is that Deep Rika had a syringe with something in it. Now, apparently the syringe we see in World 1 is a fake, and Keichi had just gone mad. However, Rena starts going mad, too, and we know that Rika did have a syringe prepared for her, just as she did for Shion. And we know that Rena, much like Tomitake and the Keichi of World 1 began to claw at her own throat.

So here's where I'm not entirely clear. When does Rika appear to Rena with this syringe? Does she do so prior to the death of Rina and Houjou, or after the battle with Keichi atop the rooftop? Because her unusual statement of "I'm bored with this Hinamizawa" conflicts with her speeches throughout the rest of World 4, where she tells Keichi that they can overcome this evil, and where she taunts the real mastermind that they will survive the Endless June. Is it possible that Rika is both tormentor and victim? That Rika is her own enemy? That the one with the deep voice is foe and the one with high pitched niiipaaaas is the victim? Or the other way around?

If so it would certainly explain the suspicion being cast upon Rika as the one who injects both Keiichi 1 and all Tomitakes with the virus.

Link Man

Banned
Higurashi 26

Huh, when did this turn into a shonen?

And with that, I'm done with the series. I've had my fill, and impressions on the next season seem to be lukewarm at best. My curiosity will be satisfied by Corvo's impressions, should he continue onwards.

Oh, and Corvo, regarding your question,
it's being perpetuated by Keiichi, because he has yet to do his homework.

;)

Branduil

Mouryou no Hako 5

Now with psychics and more characters whose names I will never be able to remember. There's also like five different subplots going on now that are somehow all connected. I'm still not sure how
Kanako is connected with the older-sister-ish actress
even after the lawyer's exposition.

CorvoSol

Higurashi 26

Huh, when did this turn into a shonen?

And with that, I'm done with the series. I've had my fill, and impressions on the next season seem to be lukewarm at best. My curiosity will be satisfied by Corvo's impressions, should he continue onwards.

Oh, and Corvo, regarding your question,
it's being perpetuated by Keiichi, because he has yet to do his homework.

;)

Fucking Keichi. Do your damn homework and stop trying to get it on with women whose breasts are roughly thrice the thickness of their throats. You know that shit's unhealthy.

Also Kai's first episode doesn't seem so bad. I got to see
a grown up Rena.

Nordicus

Higurashi Kai 1
But what is most important about Shion's encounter with Deep Rika is that Deep Rika had a syringe with something in it. Now, apparently the syringe we see in World 1 is a fake, and Keichi had just gone mad. However, Rena starts going mad, too, and we know that Rika did have a syringe prepared for her, just as she did for Shion. And we know that Rena, much like Tomitake and the Keichi of World 1 began to claw at her own throat.

So here's where I'm not entirely clear. When does Rika appear to Rena with this syringe? Does she do so prior to the death of Rina and Houjou, or after the battle with Keichi atop the rooftop? Because her unusual statement of "I'm bored with this Hinamizawa" conflicts with her speeches throughout the rest of World 4, where she tells Keichi that they can overcome this evil, and where she taunts the real mastermind that they will survive the Endless June. Is it possible that Rika is both tormentor and victim? That Rika is her own enemy? That the one with the deep voice is foe and the one with high pitched niiipaaaas is the victim? Or the other way around?

If so it would certainly explain the suspicion being cast upon Rika as the one who injects both Keiichi 1 and all Tomitakes with the virus.
Aah, Rika and the syringe... I'm gonna give you just one hint:

"Correlation does not imply causation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom