• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

You know, she was a fine character in the beginning. It's just too bad that she become pretty much that one thing by the end of the series.

She started becoming that in episode 2 and the process was complete by episode 6 with the plushies. It's like, flash Flanderization.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hotaru drags everyone down!

Hotaru more like Howtoruin all the things etc etc.

This is true.

Kw6fEhD.gif

Welcome to the list. God help you all.

CorvoSol

Kino's Journey 3

Wheeeeeeeeew. So, looks like the theme this time around is "What is tradition?" and "Whose interpretation is the right one?" Interesting to see, since there were a few people who were wrong and right in their interpretations in this episode, but all of them missed the real point, and to point fingers and name their names would be to miss the episode's point, too, I think. It was interesting to see the sort of bookend structure of the episode, with the climax being the poet's agonizing poem. At the heart of that particular story was the poet's inability to interpret the concept of sorrow, which in turn brought greater sorrow upon him.

I think this is a valuable lesson to bear in mind, but not one to apply, so to speak. You must always be careful when making interpretations and judgments, but you should not strive to avoid either, I think. His inability to interpret sorrow at all brought the poet misery, and while it was good of the people to remember his sorrow, living it themselves is not something I would personally covet. Cliched as it is, Kino's statement "To Each His Own" makes sense in this context. Kino could have interfered at numerous points after learning the truth, but why should she? Could she have saved anyone? Could she have stopped the war? And what about last week's lesson on the danger of help?

Even then, though, the lesson is important for the sake of consideration, but not extreme application. We shouldn't just dive hard necked into an interpretation, but living without one at all is no better. Indeed, the land of tradition, where no one had a tradition and therefore a new one was made without anyone knowing it, sort of proves the point. You cannot live without tradition and interpretation, even when you actively seek to discard them. The best you can hope for is to interpret wisely, I suppose, and uphold the good traditions you acquire along the way.

Nisekoi 7
Best girl has finally arrived. I forgot how hard they drived the plot a lot in the early chapters putting emphasis on the girls having a promise as a kid with presumably Raku when they have almost abandoned it by the manga's recent chapters. Also, this chapter was animated well especially some of the faces

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I still haven't finished Bebop. I should get around to it. From what I remember I liked what I saw. Well... half of it.

Please be watching the engDub, I cant imagine that Tatsuyo is still as charming in JPN as he is in ENG.

I'm watching the dub alright and I hope they are too! It increases the cheese to rediculous levels.
It also uses the word 'buddy' more often so that makes it the superior option by default!

Although I think you should give CardFight!! Vanguard subbed a try some time. The sexual innuendos are stronger apperently.

Hattori

Banned
Zvezda 7
so the Governor is Asuta's dad...interesting.
Not really, but I'm glad they are moving forward with the story.

sonicmj1

I equate substance to having some level of depth. I see no depth in FLCL. This is just me. I know my opinion of FLCL is the outlier so eh... I'm fine with people disagreeing with me or thinking I'm flat out wrong!

That's good, because you're flat out wrong. You don't have to like it, but it's not just random stuff happening because it looks cool.

I made a longer post talking about a specific use of symbolism in response to the weaker claim that the show is just about phallic symbols or something, which I'll quote here.

But that's not all of FLCL at all. The symbolism it uses is primarily to support how characters develop, and by extension to highlight different themes about what it means to mature and grow up. It's not just about what you do with your erection.

For a simple example, we can look at the climax of episode 2, "Firestarter". Not only does this episode develop most of Mamimi's backstory while telling us very little directly, it's also about how Naota views his brother, and what that means for his maturation. We see this through symbolism in the fight.

"Nii-chan!" Naota cries out as the robot Canti is fighting bears down on them. This seems to trigger a change in the robot, and it's what results in Naota being eaten and turning red. In the show's fiction, this represents the appearance of Atomsk, but symbolically, Naota now takes on the role of his brother, and he does what his brother did during the original fire that took place. As Red Canti, Naota protects Mamimi, and when the fight is over, he pats her on the head the way his brother did those years before.

This is explicitly called out by the director in the commentary for the episode. If you think he's bullshitting, Tsurumaki isn't afraid to say when something is done just for the sake of doing it. Heck, in the episode 1 commentary he basically says that Canti is a robot in the show because he wanted to have a robot there.

With that knowledge in mind, you can think about what this means symbolically for
episode 5 (when Naota climbs into Canti as Mamimi calls for his older brother) and episode 6 (when Naota climbs out of Red Canti on his own).
It's storytelling like that which gives FLCL such rich characters in a six-episode series, and it can be applied on some level to every character with any amount of screentime in the show.

If you don't care enough to engage in a close reading of a show, that's fine. There's plenty of visual humor and silliness in Gainax's work to enjoy. But unless you're going to put forth some effort to prove it, it's ridiculous for you to talk about the lack of symbolism in FLCL. You're speaking from a position of ignorance and you know it.

Crocodile

Honestly, I kind of liked Joseph better than Jonathan. He had the attitude to him, yes, but he quickly grew better as his confidence showed. Really didn't see some of the bigger plot points coming, especially the thing about his mother.

I don't think there's a person alive who doesn't prefer Joesph to Jonathan :p

I still haven't finished Bebop. I should get around to it. From what I remember I liked what I saw. Well... half of it.

It ran almost 12 years straight on CN and I know you watch Toonami/Adult Swim. How have you not finished it yet?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I would say LARPing is more like Cosplaying, inasmuch as Cosplayers are supposed to be in character.

Cosplayers can be whatever the hell they want, whether it's in or out of character, unless there some special terminology that i am completely unaware of that makes such distinctions.

duckroll

Thanks to Twitter for alerting me to this, but there's a new PV up for Captain Earth on the show's website.

Something about this show is pushing all my hype buttons despite not being a big mecha fan. Beautiful background art, Igarashi's usual skill at storyboarding/direction, nice music (love the vocal track) and an intriguing "mood" to the whole thing. I know the character designs and names for the bad guys are a bit silly, and it could all go a bit E7:AO on us, but I am allowing myself to look forward to this one :)

Some pretty great visuals and action in the new trailer. But goddamn the character designs. I don't know what Igarashi is going for with Star Driver and now this, with regards to the character art. Why do they look so stupid and tacky? Lol. The mech stuff should be great though!

CorvoSol

Speaking of LARP, I either saw a dude carrying toy swords to someone today or I saw a guy on his way to/from a LARP today. He wasn't dressed up, but he had a toy sword and what looked like several batons or toy maces in his backpack.

Dresden

Speaking of LARP, I either saw a dude carrying toy swords to someone today or I saw a guy on his way to/from a LARP today. He wasn't dressed up, but he had a toy sword and what looked like several batons or toy maces in his backpack.

Could just be one of those medieval swordfighting club things. Kinda larp, but not quite LARP enuff, if u know what i mean.

Branduil

Mouryou no Hako 8

iCSuI70Z2V61V.jpg
ib7UJrx3YMgUa.jpg

The world's creepiest Tetris game.

Things are certainly starting to happen now. So it seems like Sekiguchi
has a wife after all.
And it seems like
Junko is the man with the white gloves, but is he also Hyoue, the boxmaker? And what's his relationship with both the mad scientist guy and the cult leader?

Yoriko is so dumb smh.

CorvoSol

Could just be one of those medieval swordfighting club things. Kinda larp, but not quite LARP enuff, if u know what i mean.

I dunno. I mean, would you show up to Swordfight club with what was definitely a hollow plastic cutlass?

Mad Bull 34 4

And then an alien gave Sleepy the bird.

Andrew J.

Gundam Build Fighters 01

It really mystifies me that this, of all shows, is the last bastion of hand-drawn giant mecha on television. Unicorn I can understand, that one's built to appeal to hardcore fans who might very well revolt en masse over CGI. But this show? An extended model commercial aimed at kids, produced by a wholly-owned subsidiary of notorious cheapskate Bandai Namco, should have been the worst victim of the cost-cutting mentality that caused the extinction of 2D mecha everywhere else. There must be executives somewhere in the chain of command that seriously consider Gundam a vanity project.

I'd never heard the word "Gunpla" spoken aloud before, and had always assumed it was pronounced with a long "A". Can't decide whether the actual pronunciation is better or worse.

It's refreshing to see a mom in an action/hobby show who's generally supportive and not all "You've got to spend less time on this nonsense and study more!"

Mushishi - 3

Much like Aku no Hana, the sound design in this is really good. I love the smaller details like muffling their voices when certain characters have the An/Un inside their ear canals, and then creating a distinctly different sound when one character covers another's ears.

CorvoSol

Gundam Build Fighters 01

It really mystifies me that this, of all shows, is the last bastion of hand-drawn giant mecha on television. Unicorn I can understand, that one's built to appeal to hardcore fans who might very well revolt en masse over CGI. But this show? An extended model commercial aimed at kids, produced by a wholly-owned subsidiary of notorious cheapskate Bandai Namco, should have been the worst victim of the cost-cutting mentality that caused the extinction of 2D mecha everywhere else. There must be executives somewhere in the chain of command that seriously consider Gundam a vanity project.

I'd never heard the word "Gunpla" spoken aloud before, and had always assumed it was pronounced with a long "A". Can't decide whether the actual pronunciation is better or worse.

It's refreshing to see a mom in an action/hobby show who's generally supportive and not all "You've got to spend less time on this nonsense and study more!"

Rinko is Best Mom.

Dresden

I dunno. I mean, would you show up to Swordfight club with what was definitely a hollow plastic cutlass?

I remember watching a session play out on the grass one day, and it was basically just a R away from LARP. Could definitely see a plastic cutlass being used to emulate the sacred art of piratey swordfighting.

Mushishi - 3

Much like Aku no Hana, the sound design in this is really good. I love the smaller details like muffling their voices when certain characters have the An/Un inside their ear canals, and then creating a distinctly different sound when one character covers another's ears.

Absolutely, Hiroshi Nagahama is a master at creating high-quality aural atmosphere.

Shengar

Mushishi - 3

Watching Mushishi with light off during a silent night is the most terrific experience ever. Nagahama really great at creating atmospheric soundtrack and using them right. The composer deserve many credits too for using many traditional instrumental that enforce the atmosphere. I wonder what instrument they use for all of the soundtrack.

CorvoSol

You know, I've seen Sleepy do just about every kind of horrible thing a cop could do, but him deciding to
have sex with his dead friend's little sister AFTER he knew she was a killer
is perhaps the only time I've ever been fully certain that Sleepy was wrong, even by the morals of Mad Bull.

Thoraxes

Mushishi - 3

I'm pretty jealous that i'll never get to experience it for the first time again like you are right now.

You know, I've seen Sleepy do just about every kind of horrible thing a cop could do, but him deciding to
have sex with his dead friend's little sister AFTER he knew she was a killer
is perhaps the only time I've ever been fully certain that Sleepy was wrong, even by the morals of Mad Bull.

Is this in Episode 4?

CorvoSol

The fourth episode of Mad Bull 34 was just something else.

I'm not done yet, but from the moment predator alien green goblin wolverine showed up on screen before the opening, I knew this would be a special night.

Here is sleepy gazing lovingly at said monster
ic4bej1SUm9kB.gif

pretty much all jumpsuits are just rip offs of Eva's plugsuits anyway!

Cept the ones in FMP. They're N7 armor before that was a thing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Burn Up Scramble Episode 5:

I should have enjoyed this episode, this is the type of episode other Burn Up! incarnations would do well, not this one, mainly because I got sick Lilica's whining about 2 seconds in, I miss the hacker incarnation more and more.

I'm not done yet, but from the moment predator alien green goblin wolverine showed up on screen before the opening, I knew this would be a special night.

Here is sleepy gazing lovingly at said monster
ic4bej1SUm9kB.gif

Cept the ones in FMP. They're N7 armor before that was a thing.

OK now I'm definately watching Episode 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom