• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Hitler was so distraught over the Allies insulting his favorite anime that he killed himself in his bunker, and once he had "account-suicided", there was no one left to continue the discussion.

What was his favorite anime, you ask?

It was
your favorite anime.

whatatwist.jpg

Jintor

Hitler was so distraught over the Allies insulting his favorite anime that he killed himself in his bunker, and once he had "account-suicided", there was no one left to continue the discussion.

It was
your favorite anime.

m n sonicmj1

Dresden

It was
your favorite anime.

Hitler had pretty terrible taste.

It was
your favorite anime.

This'll be especially funny for members here whose favorite anime is yaoi/yuri/ecchi

Crocodile

SqDTJtD.png

I don't know who this dude is but I hate him. Looks like generic male protagonist #635724 in a manga/anime/douijn/etc. The short, spiky, dark hair and non descript face or body is SUPER played out :/

Oh, just noticed that Avex quietly posted the new Captain Earth PV on YouTube a couple of hours ago, this time in HD. So if you haven't seen enough of it this weekend... well, here you go again, but prettier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRmhnG_Mq0

This show is looking good. Will be great to have some quality 2D mecha after GBF. I gotta say though (don't know why this PV triggered the upcoming rant but it did) I REALLY wish we'd get fewer kid/teen protagonists - especially in anime that are original projects and not adaptations or other works. Like DBZ (with adult Goku and friends) as well as stuff like Superman, the Justice League as a whole, the X-men, etc. all appealed to me as a kid even if the vast majority of protagonists and antagonists were 2x or more my age. I know the Japanese like to idolize high school or some shit but are children over there just incapable of getting into characters older than 16? So many interesting things you can do with adults within the context of fantastical shonen works with zombies and mechas and superpowers and other sweet shit :/

Link Man

Banned
So, I went looking for late-night horror, and instead found supernatural comedy.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 1

Really loving the idea of a playful ghost playing pranks, and the reactions are quite hilarious. Just hope the show can remain entertaining.

As an aside, can anyone recommend a good horror anime that's on either Crunchyroll or Hulu?

Dresden

AnimeGAF! Once again I'm looking for some quick suggestions for stuff to watch with a friend tonight.

Preferably a movie or short OVA series. Last couple of things I watched out of random recommendation on here were Sword of the Stranger and Vampire Hunter D, both of which I really enjoyed. Here's my MAL for reference of things I've watched, thanks!

Going by the 'plan to watch' section, Umasou and Perfect Blue should be good.

Oh, I do still need to watch Death Note as well, but is that considered horror?

It's a comedy.

Branduil

So it's okay to ignore context in favor of what you think a cartoon's cinematography is aiming to achieve?

You deciding that a scene's "cinematography" in one case implies sexuality and in another sickness sounds more like confirmation bias than anything else.

For instance, I wholeheartedly refute your claim that the camera does not linger. A full ten seconds pass by while Shinji stares at Asuka's naked chest, the camera unflinching. I note that this is approximately the same amount of time the camera takes in panning down the side of Satsuki in this last episode of Kill La Kill. That you overlook this is questionable at best.

But honestly, it's beside the point, because it's silly bullshit to say "fuck the context, my flashy knowledge of cinemagicatography endows me with the capacity to say, for certain, that this is a pervy, pervy thing."

I didn't decide what cinematography means, it's very basic filmmaking principles that have been known and studies for decades. I'm sure there are people who think the Eva scene is "hot," but if they had intended that scene to be erotic, a very casual analysis reveals they would have done it differently.

The Kill la Kill scene, on the other hand, was extremely exploitative and the camerawork seemed to focus more on indulging erotic desires, rather than showing any actual interest in depicting how
Satsuki felt about being abused.
If they were attempting to depict sexual abuse as a thing that is actually abusive and damaging to the victim they failed miserably.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think it expressed her feelings on the matter rather succinctly.

It's important to remember that whatever Satsuki felt she had to keep it deep inside. It's a pattern of abuse that ended in her brutally impaling her mother with a sword.

Gintama 231

I'm glad this was a funeral episode, because I was dead by the end of this episode.

EDIT: Looks like the next episode starts a "serious" arc about Elizabeth. Guess that's my stopping point for today.

Shergal

I don't see why those KlK scenes merit any fuss besides rolling the eyes at how corny they are. It's like entertainment 101, where something along those lines happens to the heroine and the camera will linger rather too much in the right places, just for good measure. I guess KlK's scenes are more extreme compared to (most) other TV anime since it's Imaishi, and everything Imaishi does needs to be like that.
I understand the complaints about fanservice ruining everything when they come from a lapsed watcher who isn't really familiar with this sort of stuff, but for people who are more familiar with anime and the director it seems like an overreaction.
Personally they just seemed like badly put together scenes because the director is bad at doing that kind of scene.

KLK is a show filled with blatant fanservice, male gaze, and shots designed to titillate, so it's hardly surprising that people's immediate reaction is to treat that scene as fanservice, which is probably its primary purpose anyway. In another show I would have reacted differently, but I don't feel like KLK is a show that deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
KLK is a show filled with blatant fanservice, male gaze, and shots designed to titillate, so it's hardly surprising that people's immediate reaction is to treat that scene as fanservice, which is probably its primary purpose anyway.
Well, when a show of one-note characters finally offers an interesting one, you don't pass on it.

sonicmj1

When Branduil watches Utena he's going to rant about sexual deviancy in the staff, I'm sure. :(

So people shouldn't take issue with Kill la Kill's depiction of
mother-daughter non-consensual sexual abuse
, but the entirely (creepy, but still) sexless relationships between the handlers and their underage charges in Gunslinger Girls are a bridge too far?

Branduil

I think it expressed her feelings on the matter rather succinctly.

It's important to remember that whatever Satsuki felt she had to keep it deep inside. It's a pattern of abuse that ended in her brutally impaling her mother with a sword.

The issue is that the show wants have its cake and eat it too. The camera is sort of like "oh wow this is terrible... but hey, as long as we're here, might as well make the best of a bad situation and enjoy it, am I right guys? Eh? Eh?"

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So people shouldn't take issue with Kill la Kill's depiction of
mother-daughter non-consensual sexual abuse
, but the entirely (creepy, but still) sexless relationships between the handlers and their underage charges in Gunslinger Girls are a bridge too far?
Hah, well then!

Well, I think for me the issue was more that it was something I was supposed to be rooting for. It starts with the usual group of girls doing X, which isn't out of the ordinary, but then throws in "we know we're brainwashed to love you and give our lives for you but we still do!" and it strikes a more uncomfortable chord as opposed to watching a protagonist suffer before ultimately getting revenge.

The issue is that the show wants have its cake and eat it too. The camera is sort of like "oh wow this is terrible... but hey, as long as we're here, might as well make the best of a bad situation and enjoy it, am I right guys? Eh? Eh?"
At the same time, what's uncomfortable to show on camera becomes moreso when shown more on camera.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't really see the show casting the acts in a "terrible" light beyond the fact that the aggressor is a cackling weirdo. The entire act is portrayed in a fetishistic manner.

Link Man

Banned
Shiki 1

aka A Study in How to Create a Completely Unlikeable Character

Yikes, Megumi was a completely unbearable walking bundle of terrible anime tropes, she made it difficult to get through the episode.
Luckily her personality won't be a factor in future episodes. Probably.

That said, the visuals near the end of the episode were quite interesting, and I'm intrigued to see more. It does
seem to follow Dracula a bit loosely, so I'm wondering if this is an adaptation

yami4ct

Man arguments and insults here do really start over things such as a simple joke over a show somebody really really likes. It happened with me when I did a joke against GBF, then that psyhco guy and Angel Beats, and now with this.

Can't we go back to the days where somebody insults your anime and we simply insult theirs? The mantra of Your Favorite Anime is Shit has worked countless of times to solve disputes in history. Why do you think WWII ended?

I thought we all lived under the agreement that all anime was shit and the medium was dead or whatever?

Ok, recap of what I've been watching I guess.

Kill la Kill past 3 episodes

Hadn't watched this in a while. Besides the scene that's been talked to death already, I've been super happy with this show. My opinion has pretty much completely shifted back around from where I started. It's been so much more fun lately than how it started. Sure, the fan service still really creeps me out, but at least the overall show is entertaining me enough to distract me from that.

Space Dandy last two episodes

Man is this show up and down. It seems like it alternates between pretty much garbage (pilot, monster girl and pants vs vest episodes) and episodes that are absolutely brilliant (zombie episode, racing episode). It was nice to see two decent episodes in a row. Hope it's able to keep it up. This week's episode is a bit schizophrenic, but all the Laika the space dog references did enough for me to give the overall episode a thumbs up.

Gundam Build Fighters

Super disappointed in the X vs Star Build fight. Totally gave the X gundam short shrift. The magical blue shining finger also feels like too much of a cheat. The Kawaguchi vs brother dude's GM Sniper fight was absolutely amazing, though. May be the best fight of the show so far. Astray vs Strike fight was OK, but I still think the Sengoku Astray is lame. Love the head, Oni backpack and swords, but the giant fist shoulder plates are terrible.

Blue Exorcist Ep. 1

This show has charm. A lot of standard shonen tropes, for sure, especially in the character personalities, but it at least does those tropes well. Like the setup for the overall plot. The whole
sons of satan twist
is super interesting setup for the conflict, but like any shonen I don't expect that that to go anywhere fast. The one thing that stood out most to me, though, is how the show took its time with its lead and gave us the part-time job side plot. Most Shonen shows would never do that, especially in the pilot. On board so far. Can't wait to see more.

Gundam X (Finish)

I can't even begin to say how much I adore this show. Definitely now in my top 5 gundams. Sure, the last 2 or 3 episodes were super duper rushed in a way that kind of sucked the air out of the plot, but the overall show was just so damn awesome. Everything from the characters to designs and fights just worked for me. Witz may be one of my favorite side-pilots of all time. Just a super well done Gundam show. Sad it doesn't seem to get the love it deserves.

Man, I need to watch more shows. Might be time to pick up Gintama where I left off.

Branduil

Hah, well then!

Well, I think for me the issue was more that it was something I was supposed to be rooting for. It starts with the usual group of girls doing X, which isn't out of the ordinary, but then throws in "we know we're brainwashed to love you and give our lives for you but we still do!" and it strikes a more uncomfortable chord as opposed to watching a protagonist suffer before ultimately getting revenge.

Evoking discomfort is a common purpose for sci-fi stories. I think it worked, at least the first season, because it actually explored the uncomfortable consequences of brainwashed child cyborg assassins. Don't plan on watching the second since it was universally panned.

At the same time, what's uncomfortable to show on camera becomes moreso when shown more on camera.

I don't know if that's necessarily true, but at the very least, it still depends on how it's shot. Not exactly the same but good horror directors know that what you don't see can be at least as scary as what you do.

I know Space Dandy is being handled by different directors and each one carries their own vision per episode and all, but does this include a change in established artstyle? I mean the character design hasn't been consistent for Dandy with differences here and there in each episode, but this next episode seems like a big change art-wise in how he looks.

TheRancor

Hmm? Isn't the movie version just a condensed way of viewing the OVA? I didn't think it was really necessary.
You missed out the sweet extended dogfight between
Guld and the X-9 Ghost
. There is also a horrifyingly bad CG scene.

Wikipedia said:
The movie edition returns the story to the initially planned feature length. The theatrical version (マクロスプラス MOVIE EDITION) consists of most of the footage from the original OVAs, along with approximately 20 minutes of new and alternative footage.

So I think it's a mix of new footage, removed footage, and alternative ones. Some differences highlighted here. Though I personally haven't seen the entirety of the Movie edition yet. So someone else can probably clarify more.

sonicmj1

Hah, well then!

Fair enough. I'd argue that you're supposed to feel uncomfortable with what that group is doing, and with the fate of the girls in the organization. A lot of that show is about how the characters deal with being complicit in something so monstrous. At least in the anime, I don't feel like the intent is to portray it as sympathetic, even if all the lead characters are involved.

I think that's the case in this Kill la Kill scene as well. Ragyo is clearly a villain, and the emphasis is more on the suffering inflicted than on sex. But some of their framing confuses the issue. While the focus of certain cuts on sex does make it more creepy, it also makes the camera a voyeuristic accomplice in the events. There are works that could pull off a trick like that and make it mean something, but Kill la Kill is not one of them.

The Kill la Kill thread has a lot of focus on intent, which I think is misguided. But the execution is lacking, and that's what creates the confusion. Perhaps it's an unfortunate side effect of all the Go Nagai influences.

Shergal

I know Space Dandy is being handled by different directors and each one carries their own vision per episode and all, but does this include a change in established artstyle? I mean the character design hasn't been consistent for Dandy with differences here and there in each episode, but this next episode seems like a big change art-wise in how he looks.

The director for the upcoming episode is a total oddball. If you are familiar with anything by Masaaki Yuasa, then it's easy: Eun Young Choi is practically his protege, and she does very similar stuff. Right down to the "models go in the trashcan" attitude.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't know if that's necessarily true, but at the very least, it still depends on how it's shot. Not exactly the same but good horror directors know that what you don't see can be at least as scary as what you do.
I suppose that falls under "what's uncomfortable not being on camera becomes moreso when withheld longer", but yeah, I would agree it depends. Usually with sex and violence withholding footage is used as a softener, while in horror the focus is more on building tension from the unseen.

Personally, when a story pulls too hard on the latter I start flipping to the back of the book or go to wikipedia to resolve it.

TheRancor

The director for the upcoming episode is a total oddball. If you are familiar with anything by Masaaki Yuasa, then it's easy: Eun Young Choi is practically his protege, and she does very similar stuff. Right down to the "models go in the trashcan" attitude.
I suppose I can use this as an excuse to post Yuasa's part of the Sakuga panel .

cajunator

Banned

strike witches 6

sanya is adorbs.

oh yes indeed.
shes incredibly cute!

So it's okay to ignore context in favor of what you think a cartoon's cinematography is aiming to achieve?

You deciding that a scene's "cinematography" in one case implies sexuality and in another sickness sounds more like confirmation bias than anything else.

For instance, I wholeheartedly refute your claim that the camera does not linger. A full ten seconds pass by while Shinji stares at Asuka's naked chest, the camera unflinching. I note that this is approximately the same amount of time the camera takes in panning down the side of Satsuki in this last episode of Kill La Kill. That you overlook this is questionable at best.

But honestly, it's beside the point, because it's silly bullshit to say "fuck the context, my flashy knowledge of cinemagicatography endows me with the capacity to say, for certain, that this is a pervy, pervy thing."

Dont eat the cheese Corvy. Ignore it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fair enough. I'd argue that you're supposed to feel uncomfortable with what that group is doing, and with the fate of the girls in the organization. A lot of that show is about how the characters deal with being complicit in something so monstrous. At least in the anime, I don't feel like the intent is to portray it as sympathetic, even if all the lead characters are involved.
I suppose. I guess at that point I just want somebody to blow up the situation if it's that rotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom