• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

It depends on how you define "some good." The answer at the end seems to be that at least
the girls get to have some happiness in their lives before they die.

Well, you probably wouldn't like From the New World then if you don't like stories about hopeless situations.

cajunator

Banned
So, I went looking for late-night horror, and instead found supernatural comedy.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 1

Really loving the idea of a playful ghost playing pranks, and the reactions are quite hilarious. Just hope the show can remain entertaining.

As an aside, can anyone recommend a good horror anime that's on either Crunchyroll or Hulu?

Dusk Maiden is pretty good.

Oh, I do still need to watch Death Note as well, but is that considered horror?

Death Note is like a cat and mouse game. Its not horror.

wonzo

Banned
Wooser S2 7

woosers27.jpg

Well, I'm no lawyer but I guess it'd be all three for starters.

Kuromajo 50

kuromajo50.jpg

The most unexpected critique of authority, democracy, and the illusion of power since that one chapter of Centaur's Worries.

Tonari no Seki-kun 8

The greatest shogi romance story ever told. ;__;

Pupipo! 10

pupipo10.jpg

me on the right coming to terms with the ot pretty much being dead ( ´ 3 `,)

sonicmj1

So it's okay to ignore context in favor of what you think a cartoon's cinematography is aiming to achieve?

You deciding that a scene's "cinematography" in one case implies sexuality and in another sickness sounds more like confirmation bias than anything else.

For instance, I wholeheartedly refute your claim that the camera does not linger. A full ten seconds pass by while Shinji stares at Asuka's naked chest, the camera unflinching. I note that this is approximately the same amount of time the camera takes in panning down the side of Satsuki in this last episode of Kill La Kill. That you overlook this is questionable at best.

But honestly, it's beside the point, because it's silly bullshit to say "fuck the context, my flashy knowledge of cinemagicatography endows me with the capacity to say, for certain, that this is a pervy, pervy thing."

We can disagree about Japanese cartoons without getting disagreeable.

phaze

Sumo anime incoming.

This is taking over Saint Seiya Omega's timeslot.

Dare I hope for Lost Canvas season 3 ? Please TMS !

Bakemonogatari 9
IexmrV3l.jpg

OP ranking: Monkey > Snail > Crab > Snake

I remember feeling similarly. Shame about Kanbaru taking a backseat in the rest of the series.

FLCL 01, 02

I've seen this mentioned earlier in the thread and decided to give it a spin. Holy shit this series is completely bonkers ! Had to collect my jaw from the floor a few times but when it came to the
mecha
fight I no longer bothered. Amazing and completely ridiculous show.

FMA 25-34
My great prediction about Ed's mom being
homunculus
seems to have suffered ignominious defeat. :(

cnet128

Banned
Bakemonogatari 9

OP ranking: Monkey > Snail > Crab > Snake

This is an acceptable girl ranking at this point in the series, but it is not an acceptable OP ranking. How can you even think of putting Ren'ai Circulation at the bottom. You monster.

This oughta be interesting. Anime adaptation announced for comedy series Himegoto.

http://polyphonicar2010.blog51.fc2.com/blog-entry-16925.html

Oh hey, this looks promising in terms of delivering cuteness. Cute crossdressing boys always make me terribly confused but are very compelling to watch as well. And at least the show seems set to deliver plenty of actual cute girls to balance out the confusion. Still, I would prefer it if the MC was actually gender-flipped instead of just crossdressing. What I'm saying is, Boku Girl anime when.

Hearing the full versions of the Mikakunin OP and ED is a real treat. Some of the best songs of the season, right here.

Strip out "some of" from that statement and we have a winner.

Not seeing Minami-ke on here, therefore it is not a satisfactory resource. I can't truly hate any list that includes Kashimashi though.

Heartcatch Precure! 8

Episode of Erika being outrageously adorable...OH WAIT THAT'S ALL THE EPISODES. But there was even more of it in this one thanks to the episode's focus on the Kurumi sisters (why would you give your characters a surname that is the same as a major character's given name in a previous series -.-) and their jealousy of each other. Erika being jealous of Momoka because she's achieved their mutual dream of becoming a top model, and Momoka being jealous of Erika because she has an ordinary life and great friends while Momoka herself is alone and friendless. So I guess Momoka isn't quite an expy of Miki, because Miki was a top model and had great friends. Goddammit mktn y u so knpk.

Also in this episode, Erika finally makes good on her promise from a few episodes ago to come up with her own counterpart to Blossom's catchphrase. I knew you could do it!

Heartcatch Precure! 8

Episode of Erika being outrageously adorable...OH WAIT THAT'S ALL THE EPISODES. But there was even more of it in this one thanks to the episode's focus on the Kurumi sisters (why would you give your characters a surname that is the same as a major character's given name in a previous series -.-) and their jealousy of each other. Erika being jealous of Momoka because she's achieved their mutual dream of becoming a top model, and Momoka being jealous of Erika because she has an ordinary life and great friends while Momoka herself is alone and friendless. So I guess Momoka isn't quite an expy of Miki, because Miki was a top model and had great friends. Goddammit mktn y u so knpk.

Also in this episode, Erika finally makes good on her promise from a few episodes ago to come up with her own counterpart to Blossom's catchphrase. I knew you could do it!

I don't think "friendless" is the right word for it. I think ordinary lifestyle alone would've been more suitable.

EDIT: Decided to check this out in a quick fashion just to get a grasp at things. Momoka does have a friend, so her being friendless is pretty much wrong, although I can't blame you for thinking that considering how it is displayed (either that or it is an issue with translation). I would take it more as a "she wants to do normal things as well" without having to worry about her status.

Hah, well then!

Well, I think for me the issue was more that it was something I was supposed to be rooting for. It starts with the usual group of girls doing X, which isn't out of the ordinary, but then throws in "we know we're brainwashed to love you and give our lives for you but we still do!" and it strikes a more uncomfortable chord as opposed to watching a protagonist suffer before ultimately getting revenge.

At the same time, what's uncomfortable to show on camera becomes moreso when shown more on camera.

It's supposed to be uncomfortable. It's incredibly creepy. They can't help but feel a submissive love, even if they know they are being medicated to have these feelings. They even try to rationalize it say they are truly in love and they would be even without the conditioning because their feelings are real (and we know the girls aren't stupid), which is pretty tragic.

Read the manga if you want to know how it ends. Some girls end badly because the conditioning, others have a better end, others is... mixed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I know Space Dandy is being handled by different directors and each one carries their own vision per episode and all, but does this include a change in established artstyle? I mean the character design hasn't been consistent for Dandy with differences here and there in each episode, but this next episode seems like a big change art-wise in how he looks.

As long as he has greased up hair and an X on the chin it's Dandy.

Thoraxes

Damn.

Satoru Kousaki does some really great work. Been going through a bunch of his stuff the past month, and dang. Started with the most recent stuff and have been working my way back.

cnet128

Banned
I don't think "friendless" is the right word for it. I think ordinary lifestyle alone would've been more suitable.

Well, considering at the end of the episode she actually said that her new dream was to "make friends"... And the episode did linger on that one scene where she was sitting on a bench at school with seemingly the only fellow student she actually talks to, and they barely exchanged two words. If that's not friendless, it's as good as!

Now imagine experiencing that back then when you had to wait every week in the hopes that the coming episode was hopefully the last one of filler. I will never forget that pain. Never.
Ah ah ..as soon as i saw ep 133 ending and the first minutes of 134 i bailed out.
Every week i was hearing horrible thing from people like " why did he made a ramen with a rasengan ? " and then i new it was still horrible. So i never looked back.

And i watch shipuden start and then after ep 3 the quality went down VERY VERY FAST ... It waas trully at the bottom of the barel during episodes 17-27 , then episode 28-29 of shippuden happenned ! I was like "yeahhh" ...but this was a fluke ..

I dropped naruto in anime at this moment
Never felt this good besides when i dropped Bleach.

Shiki 1

aka A Study in How to Create a Completely Unlikeable Character

Yikes, Megumi was a completely unbearable walking bundle of terrible anime tropes, she made it difficult to get through the episode.
Luckily her personality won't be a factor in future episodes. Probably.

That said, the visuals near the end of the episode were quite interesting, and I'm intrigued to see more. It does
seem to follow Dracula a bit loosely, so I'm wondering if this is an adaptation

You're in for a ride , shiki is an anime that is different , very different.
You'll see when you'll start ep 2

Well, considering at the end of the episode she actually said that her new dream was to "make friends"... And the episode did linger on that one scene where she was sitting on a bench at school with seemingly the only fellow student she actually talks to, and they barely exchanged two words. If that's not friendless, it's as good as!

You'll see more of the duo later, considering that one person is rather special.
That and the note thing would imply that they're friends for some time. Why would you ask for notes from other schmucks? Momoka just didn't bother to spill the beans on how she was feeling at the moment.

duckroll

Brings up an interesting question -- we often talk about how far in advance the animation and voice recording is done for shows, but what about the music?

Like anything else, it generally varies depending on the production, but it's not unusual for composers to work on additional music during the show's broadcast. In this case I don't think it'll matter very much though, since Monaca is a sound unit, and there are other composers who can fill in if required.

cnet128

Banned
You'll see more of the duo later, considering that one person is rather special.
That and the note thing would imply that they're friends for some time. Why would you ask for notes from other schmucks? Momoka just didn't bother to spill the beans on how she was feeling at the moment.

Welp, there goes another spoiler.
Just managed to spoil myself on the friend in question being Cure Moonlight. I would certainly never have guessed that based on what we saw of her in this episode! I really must resist the temptation to keep looking things up, it always results in this happening... Though I had already read somewhere that Moonlight's real name was Yuri, so I would probably have made the connection sooner or later either way >.>

cnet128

Banned
Im pretty sure music is added late in the process since it has to flow with the animation/situation.

I'm pretty sure the adding of the music to the episodes is a separate process to the actual composing of it, though. The composing probably happens quite a while before the episodes are actually animated in most cases. I'm recalling Iwasaki's complaints about how badly the soundtrack he composed for JoJo Part 2 was utilised in the show itself >.>

cajunator

Banned
I'm pretty sure the adding of the music to the episodes is a separate process to the actual composing of it, though. The composing probably happens quite a while before the episodes are actually animated in most cases. I'm recalling Iwasaki's complaints about how badly the soundtrack he composed for JoJo Part 2 was utilised in the show itself >.>

I guess its done differently depending on the production. I was basing this on watching traditional making of animated films in the US. Assumed it was done the same in anime. I know I saw them playing parts with rough animation in the background.

TheRancor

I guess its done differently depending on the production. I was basing this on watching traditional making of animated films in the US. Assumed it was done the same in anime. I know I saw them playing parts with rough animation in the background.
I don't think anime series can afford to be scored to picture for every episode/scene. A different case for anime films of course.

NeonZ

Is anyone here still enduring Saint Seiya Omega?

I'm watching it.

0k3bdSYl.jpg

It's generic and the animation low budget, but I like how it doesn't take weeks or months to finish battles or flashbacks, unlike adaptations of modern long running shounen action manga. I also liked how each season was a standalone plot, rather than carrying on the same villain or plot for ages. I remember watching Bleach's fillers for the same reasons, while skipping most adaptated episodes later in the anime, so I'm likely just weird.

LordCanti

Arion

What a strange, strange movie. Abandon almost everything you know about Greek mythology before you go in or your brain will hurt. At times it is visually striking but it is often mired in poorly done audio (a lot of people sound like they were recorded in caves) and cheesy set pieces in the vein of the old Clash of the Titans movie. There is a point where he literally
goes into a cave, comes back out, and has a huge ass army waiting for him out of nowhere. He says "I want to go save my sister, who I also want to bang....let's go kill Zeus!" and the army goes "YEAH WHY NOT WOOOOO" and they all go and...well....yeah.

I can recommend it if you've seen almost everything else like I have, but it's definitely not a must watch.

Space Dandy 08:

This show hasn't been great for me (not the savior of anime), but I did enjoy the callback to the
fridge from CBB and the slime alien thing. RIP Laika: She was a good dog.

FLCL 01, 02

I've seen this mentioned earlier in the thread and decided to give it a spin. Holy shit this series is completely bonkers ! Had to collect my jaw from the floor a few times but when it came to the
mecha
fight I no longer bothered. Amazing and completely ridiculous show.

Yes, yes, come to the dark side.

cajunator

Banned
Arion

What a strange, strange movie. Abandon almost everything you know about Greek mythology before you go in or your brain will hurt. At times it is visually striking but it is often mired in poorly done audio (a lot of people sound like they were recorded in caves) and cheesy set pieces in the vein of the old Clash of the Titans movie. There is a point where he literally
goes into a cave, comes back out, and has a huge ass army waiting for him out of nowhere. He says "I want to go save my sister, who I also want to bang....let's go kill Zeus!" and the army goes "YEAH WHY NOT WOOOOO" and they all go and...well....yeah.

I can recommend it if you've seen almost everything else like I have, but it's definitely not a must watch.

Space Dandy 08:

This show hasn't been great for me (not the savior of anime), but I did enjoy the callback to the
fridge from CBB and the slime alien thing. RIP Laika: She was a good dog.

Yes, yes, come to the dark side.

Dark side? Why?

I'm watching it.

0k3bdSYl.jpg

It's generic and the animation low budget, but I like how it doesn't take weeks or months to finish battles or flashbacks, unlike adaptations of modern long running shounen action manga. I also liked how each season was a standalone plot, rather than carrying on the same villain or plot for ages. I remember watching Bleach's fillers for the same reasons, while skipping most adaptated episodes later in the anime, so I'm likely just weird.

i've dropped it after an EXTREME bad case of bad animation but i do plan on finish it

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Episode 20:

Ye gads, what a piece of shit this episode was, I have completely turned against Alia and her manufactured angst, in fact, I am glad she suffered this episode. Alia as a chracter suffers because she has no actual backstory, no actual reason given for her deep depression. This is something I suspect they will eventually get to but we really should have gotten it by now, wacky antics are fine and all but we could also be using this space for actual chracter development, like what with we have been getting with Felini and Kirara. Although, that did lead to the stupidest part of this episode, don't self-destruct because, er, you Gundam model will be no more? Seriously and sadly the melodrama here got ratcheted up way too far beyond the pale to be taken seriously. I'll say it before and I'll say it again Gundam Build Fighters is absolute and resolute shit at romance and I look forward to Alia's impending downfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom