• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

The first half is certainly a lot more fun than the second half.

Perhaps the same can be said of all anime.
image.php

image.php

I can't...

OceanBlue

The Pilot's Love Song 8

Well. The next episode should be heavy, unless
they decide to skip over the survivors' grieving. I hope they don't. They had the scene with them at the gravestone, but I really want to see how it changes the characters.

Speaking of which, I was really surprised how quickly Ari rebounded emotionally. I almost wonder if she was putting up a front for Kal, which wouldn't be too surprising. I think I ship Ari and Kal now lol. Time to see where the show goes from here.

CorvoSol

Im just not into being yelled at lol.

sorry Corvy I accidentally left FMP blurays at my parents house in my bag. I wont be going back there until the weekend probably. So FMP will have to wait a while (not to mention Im going back to work so I wont have much time to watch it anyway)

No worries, no worries. It's gonna be a busy week for me anyway.

Nah, the second half of ZZ is better than the first half. Holds true for Zeta, though.

cnet128

Banned
The first half is certainly a lot more fun than the second half.

The words of a man who has forgotten all about the popular opinions surrounding little shows like JoJo and Kill la Kill.

D-Frag! 8

All Takao all the time episode. I think I might actually be coming around to the idea that she's best girl. She was adorable in so many ways within the space of these scant twenty-odd minutes.

cnet128

Banned
Well I remember that I liked it a lot.

And I remember that I liked episodes 8-12 a lot.

(Also shame on duckroll for taking those quotes out of context, even though they were kind of asking for it. In the full video he's explaining that he found those episodes memorable because they were a challenge to adapt!)

Jex

I don't think that really holds true for most anime

Ehh hard to say because it's such a massive generalisation. I do think it's far, far more common for a show to start off strong because that's often where most of the time/money has been spent in terms of production and then two, three episodes later it all kinds of falls off and the show starts to look like shit and you realise all the vaguely hinted at potential just ends up being a mess.

Still, I think that's true in most entertainment mediums. Production staff spend a lot of time on the pilot/opening whatever because it absolutely has to hook the audience.

Either way, it's pretty rare for a show to start bad and then get good.

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters 20

Good ep. Think I've been more invested in the eventual alia/reiji encounter where the truth comes out more than I have in most any other Gundam series. Friggin' amazing how well the drama works given it's just toy battles.
Fellini :( :(
Here's hoping that the next one delivers!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ehh hard to say because it's such a massive generalisation. I do think it's far, far more common for a show to start off strong because that's often where most of the time/money has been spent in terms of production and then two, three episodes later it all kinds of falls off and the show starts to look like shit and you realise all the vaguely hinted at potential just ends up being a mess.

Still, I think that's true in most entertainment mediums. Production staff spend a lot of time on the pilot/opening whatever because it absolutely has to hook the audience.

Either way, it's pretty rare for a show to start bad and then get good.

Certainly, i was more thinking that there really is no overarching trend exclusive to anime where shows are consistently tanking hard in the second half/closing.

LordCanti

The first half of an anime is all rainbows and sunshine while people still have hope for high ratings and community traction. The second half is just death and despair as they realize that their show hasn't turned into the next big thing. That's also when the budget gets shit on from a great height and everyone just gets sloppy.

Nah, the second half of ZZ is better than the first half. Holds true for Zeta, though.

I want to say that I've heard somewhere that ZZ started life as a younger kids show before transitioning into a more mature show like Z, but I can't remember if that was true or just IRC scuttlebutt from back in the day.

Either way, yeah, it is pretty brutal at the beginning when it is kind of slapstick.

fertygo

Out from show that I loved
Escaflowne and Big O bring the most jarring difference due to how much I like the first half more than 2nd half.

Both show goes too batshit insane at 2nd half and not maintaining their unique mood and atmosphere.
Gundam Build Fighters 20

Good ep. Think I've been more invested in the eventual alia/reiji encounter where the truth comes out more than I have in most any other Gundam series. Friggin' amazing how well the drama works given it's just toy battles.
Fellini :( :(
Here's hoping that the next one delivers!

This guy know what's up.

Best OTP in Gundam.

Jex

[Xabungle] : 1 - 4

Holy shit guys, this is a Tomino show and, as you can imagine, it's legitimately insane. To name just one bizarre plot element, in this series literally any crime you commit whether it be assault, theft, or even murder must be dealt with in three days. If the victim(s) haven't sought reconciliation/justice by then you completely get away with whatever you did. There's of course no way this could work in a realistic setting but, hey, this is Tomino land.

Gintama' 239

OOOOH GOD

OOOOOOOH GOOOOOD

etiOTAt.jpg

THEY REALLY WENT THERE WITH THE NEW YEARS PARTY!

IT BECAME A HAREM! GINTOKI NAILING 6 PEOPLE! TWO OF THEM BEING OTOSE AND HASEGAWA. OH GOD, THE LATTERS REACTION ABOUT GETTING SERIOUS WITH GINTOKI!

Kyuubey and Tsukuyo seem to know how to cook, AND THEY BOTH TORTURED HIM WHILE HE WAS STUCK IN THAT WALL

WHY IS THIS PARTICULAR SEASON SO GOOD

cnet128

Banned
Kino no Tabi 4

hoooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

No wonder Kino isn't fazed by any of the shit that happens in all these other countries. Anything is better after that.

Theonik

Zero no Tsukaima - Futatsuki no Kishi 05
With this episode I can sort of see where #TeamQueen was coming from. By the end however Agnes got her spot back with high grades. Sasuga Agnes-sama.
Let's see where this goes.

Pfft, getting yelled at by Taiga is much better.

Also I keep thinking Branduil is making these posts GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHARLESBRANDUIL
I wouldn't know as I haven't seen her show yet.

Keikaku doori

fertygo

Gintama' 239

OOOOH GOD

OOOOOOOH GOOOOOD

etiOTAt.jpg

IT BECAME A HAREM! GINTOKI NAILING 6 PEOPLE! TWO OF THEM BEING OTOSE AND HASEGAWA. OH GOD, THE LATTERS REACTION ABOUT GETTING SERIOUS WITH GINTOKI!

Kyuubey and Tsukuyo seem to know how to cook, AND THEY BOTH TORTURED HIM WHILE HE WAS STUCK IN THAT WALL

Yeah, the HD season of Gintama is so frigging great so far.. god, I hope the new season can come soon.

Narag

Space Dandy 8

3LrRGm7l.png

Lovely eyecatch.

Italian Dandy > Space Dandy. Now that that's out of the way, first half was just outstanding. Kinda wish the eps were actually half eps with the occassional full length one thrown in to break things up. If only one half is going to be good, I'd just as soon the bad half being something separate that failed rather than something bad that dragged the other half down.

I mostly checked out after the OMG NINA VALENTO reveal, but I will say, unlike say Attack on Titan where I didn't give a shit about the characters who didn't have plot armor, they did a better job here in making you at least care about all the red shirts that were destined to die.

If nothing else, it wipes the table clean and presumably lets them start over with this mysterious new faction that they will presumably work with.

Also, we finally get two episodes of dog fighting. Not as good as the movie, but what can ya do. lol

You mean you didn't care about slightly less detailed characters #1 #2 and #3 in AoT? That was the joke my friends and I were doing throughout the show haha

"I wonder if that character has enough detail"

"No he doesn't"

"But he has a lot of dialogue and freckles"

"His hair, haircut and face are uninspired. He's dead within the next 5 episodes"

Theonik

Space Dandy 8

Italian Dandy > Space Dandy. Now that that's out of the way, first half was just outstanding. Kinda wish the eps were actually half eps with the occassional full length one thrown in to break things up. If only one half is going to be good, I'd just as soon the bad half being something separate that failed rather than something bad that dragged the other half down.
Half episodes would do wonders for dandy I feel.

Mr.Jeff

Infinite Stratos - OVA
Things we learned:
- The first 5 minutes were the best.
- Houki creates a vortex of unenjoyment for the rest of the episode
- Being home alone with 5 eager young girls with permission from his guardian, Ichika settles for playing boardgames instead of creating a flesh paradise. WHY ANIME WHY.

I should learn to always be disappointed with harem type series but....goddamn.

Gintama 236 Renho Arc

Elizabeth was written out of the show.

ELIZABETH WAS WRITTEN OUT OF THE CAST!

WHY?!

Not-Fujiko Mine is still here

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYY!?

Oh... *sees post credits* WHAT!?
Only gintama can do thatand still get away with it !

Obligatory :
Gintama%20-%20236.jpg

best possible ending . katsura acting as if this was nothing special was the best thing ever.

Well I remember that I liked it a lot.
I liked it too .
It's not a great anime but it was entertaining.

Gintama' 239

OOOOH GOD

OOOOOOOH GOOOOOD

etiOTAt.jpg

This season is great ...just because there are like no downtime and the point of view keep changing making thing fresh.
You have less than 30 eps left ..enjoy it !

I feel like Space Dandy would be a better show....if it didn't feature Dandy.

Space Dandy would be a better show if..

and I can't believe I'm saying this...

the dog or the little girl had joined the crew. Seriously those two have shown Dandy's sweeter side, but they came and went faster than a boobies joke

LordCanti

Space Dandy would be a better show if..

and I can't believe I'm saying this...

the dog or the little girl had joined the crew. Seriously those two have shown Dandy's sweeter side, but they came and went faster than a boobies joke

Both of those episodes felt really manipulative. I mean, yeah, my icy ota-heart melted, but it felt kinda cheap.

Seriously this guy feel like failed Jojo's protag.

They should have made Space Andy, featuring Andy from CBB after he had gotten sucked into a wormhole and deposited in the far flung future.

cajunator

Banned
The first half of an anime is all rainbows and sunshine while people still have hope for high ratings and community traction. The second half is just death and despair as they realize that their show hasn't turned into the next big thing. That's also when the budget gets shit on from a great height and everyone just gets sloppy.

I want to say that I've heard somewhere that ZZ started life as a younger kids show before transitioning into a more mature show like Z, but I can't remember if that was true or just IRC scuttlebutt from back in the day.

Either way, yeah, it is pretty brutal at the beginning when it is kind of slapstick.

Well in Steins Gate's case it got better halfway and just kept going up.

Kino no Tabi 4

hoooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

No wonder Kino isn't fazed by any of the shit that happens in all these other countries. Anything is better after that.

Heh. No kidding. First time I saw that episode I was like :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom