• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Space Dandy 8
Kinda wish the eps were actually half eps with the occassional full length one thrown in to break things up. If only one half is going to be good, I'd just as soon the bad half being something separate that failed rather than something bad that dragged the other half down.
i wish space dandy was animegaf's 2010 anime of the year too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You mean you didn't care about slightly less detailed characters #1 #2 and #3 in AoT? That was the joke my friends and I were doing throughout the show haha

"I wonder if that character has enough detail"

"No he doesn't"

"But he has a lot of dialogue and freckles"

"His hair, haircut and face are uninspired. He's dead within the next 5 episodes"
Yeah, having a large and disposable cast can make sense. But if they just become fodder, the shock/novelty wears off and you realize that it doesn't matter because if the author needs something dramatic to happen, they'll just kill one of any number of red shirts. Imagine if Eren actually died when the Titan ate him way back in the opening arc? How fucking balls would that have been? Instead it's people whose names you don't remember the second they are off screen, over and over again.

Of course, that's not to say that these characters are any more memorable, but hey... they are clearly starting a new arc, so I can buy it.

Infinite Stratos - OVA
Things we learned:
- The first 5 minutes were the best.
- Houki creates a vortex of unenjoyment for the rest of the episode
- Being home alone with 5 eager young girls with permission from his guardian, Ichika settles for playing boardgames instead of creating a flesh paradise. WHY ANIME WHY.

I should learn to always be disappointed with harem type series but....goddamn.
You just don't get it man... you just gotta open your mind and see the colours. It's gnar gnar, brah.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
image.php

image.php

I can't...

People in my carpool are looking at me like I'm crazy, laughing so hard right now.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, having a large and disposable cast can make sense. But if they just become fodder, the shock/novelty wears off and you realize that it doesn't matter because if the author needs something dramatic to happen, they'll just kill one of any number of red shirts. Imagine if Eren actually died when the Titan ate him way back in the opening arc? How fucking balls would that have been? Instead it's people whose names you don't remember the second they are off screen, over and over again.

Of course, that's not to say that these characters are any more memorable, but hey... they are clearly starting a new arc, so I can buy it.

You just don't get it man... you just gotta open your mind and see the colours. It's gnar gnar, brah.

Like in Another when theres so many people dying it is comedic instead of horrific.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Zero no Tsukaima - Futatsuki no Kishi 05

With this episode I can sort of see where #TeamQueen was coming from. By the end however Agnes got her spot back with high grades. Sasuga Agnes-sama.
Let's see where this goes.

I wouldn't know as I haven't seen her show yet.

Keikaku doori

Waaaaaat is this?! Yuri? Added to list!

Articalys

Seki-kun 8

"vegitables"
Damn, and everything else on the blackboard was spelled correctly, too. So close.

Also, that was the best story yet.

qQAaHkH.jpg
9L7oAfa.png

SoniAni 1

It's almost unfair how cute and sexy Sonico is.

Literally what raced through my mind as I watched this.

Surprised over how pleasant the first episode was. Honestly, just felt nice seeing her daily routine with that cheerful smile.

Manager-san is a legit boss. Love that demon mask of his.

cajunator

Banned
qQAaHkH.jpg
9L7oAfa.png

SoniAni 1

It's almost unfair how cute and sexy Sonico is.

Literally what raced through my mind as I watched this.

Surprised over how pleasant the first episode was. Honestly, just felt nice seeing her daily routine with that cheerful smile.

Manager-san is a legit boss. Love that demon mask of his.

Her boobs are way too large but she is cute.

D-Frag 8

So the author or the director has made it really clear who he/she considers to be best girl. Because Takao has been like the main romantic interest the whole time and the other club members have gotten squat in screen time compared to her and little blonde girl. Very sweet episode with a few funny parts. I was just glad to see Takao flustered.

CorvoSol

I want to say that I've heard somewhere that ZZ started life as a younger kids show before transitioning into a more mature show like Z, but I can't remember if that was true or just IRC scuttlebutt from back in the day.

Either way, yeah, it is pretty brutal at the beginning when it is kind of slapstick.

Episode 1 has Judau and friends fend off against the Argama by lobbing oranges at them. Episode 30ish has
Judau freak the fuck out and go on a rampage after Axis shot his little sister, Puru tried to kill her, and falling wreckage finished the job.

[Xabungle] : 1 - 4

Holy shit guys, this is a Tomino show and, as you can imagine, it's legitimately insane. To name just one bizarre plot element, in this series literally any crime you commit whether it be assault, theft, or even murder must be dealt with in three days. If the victim(s) haven't sought reconciliation/justice by then you completely get away with whatever you did. There's of course no way this could work in a realistic setting but, hey, this is Tomino land.

But how does Tomino justify his terrible dialogue this time around?

That's why I used to like Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones. But GRRM has recently been introducing magical reset or safe button

Wizard Barristers 7
Well now we can check off road trip movie off the list of tropes to be done by this show. At least Nattchi is less of a stick in the mud. Weird coincidences in meeting that girl who wants to become a Wizard Barrister and those two guy barristers.

Link Man

Banned
Noragami 1

Well, this is an interesting premise, and the visuals are quite interesting as well. I feel like I'm in for a good ride with this one.

Noragami 1

Well, this is an interesting premise, and the visuals are quite interesting as well. I feel like I'm in for a good ride with this one.

By the time you reach our current episode you'll probably be in the same camp as all of us hating a particular protagonist.

Also it was a tough decision but I think I'm dropping Seitokai Yakuindomo Bootyhole. I'm just forcing myself to watch them, its novelty has worn off for me, and the jokes havent made me chuckle at all this season. It's just the same formula (scene starts, something happens, sexual joke, straight man reaction)

Gintama' 241 Host Club Arc

New OP already. Sweet. Probably because the last one is no longer relevant at this point.

But damn man, that practice scenario was fucking glorious.

cnet128

Banned
Heartcatch Precure! 9

Episode of some guy trying to get Tsubomi's dad to leave his family for a big job opportunity just like that one episode back in Splash Star…ah, who am I kidding, I don't need another episode about the follies of adulthood, I just watched Kino episode 4.

I therefore instead deem this:

Episode of HOT DAMN ERIKA HOW ARE YOU SO RIDICULOUSLY BEST.

Seriously I was not even aware it was possible for one girl to contain this much best.

Is this even allowed?

fertygo

Man character design in HeartCatch is so damn good..
Happiness maybe following the formula but its aren't the same without Umakoshi :(

So I guess Makoto Shinkai's next work is... a 120 second commercial for cram schools or something

[IM]https://31.media.tumblr.com/951c35950112192f413004fbc07489c9/tumblr_n1fv9hQQoY1qbhsfoo1_1280.jpg[/IMG]
https://31.media.tumblr.com/972fd7256a145222f07067e4f19c4b73/tumblr_n1fv9hQQoY1qbhsfoo3_1280.jpg[/IM]

Be prepared for a heart-rending ending and gorgeous-ass scenery![/QUOTE]

I don't even know if I want to watch another movie of his. You can only tear my heart out for so much before my emotions become harder to bring out

edit: also I shall be watching Wolf Children this weekend. Friend let me borrow blu-ray. Will my complete disdain for furries cloud my judgement on what is considered the AnimeGAF most hyped movie ever? We'll see. We'll see.

survivor

Banned
So I guess Makoto Shinkai's next work is... a 120 second commercial for cram schools or something

https://31.media.tumblr.com/951c35950112192f413004fbc07489c9/tumblr_n1fv9hQQoY1qbhsfoo1_1280.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/972fd7256a145222f07067e4f19c4b73/tumblr_n1fv9hQQoY1qbhsfoo3_1280.jpg[IMG]

Be prepared for a heart-rending ending and gorgeous-ass scenery![/QUOTE]

Someone please give Shinkai some money to make another hour long movie instead of this.

Ojamajo Doremi Na-i-sho - Episode 12: Non's Secret

This episode is something else, it has to be seen to be believed because someone writing their impressions will not give half the justice that can possibly be given to it.

The scenes that stuck out for me were:

Firstly
Non being made into a witch by Doremi. The segement where Non was granting the wishes of the other children was such a nice thing. I loved it when they made the hospital room a glass box floating in space, it gave a sense of wonder and excitement that could only be achieved with magic. It was beautiful.

Secondly
When Doremi found out that Non had passed away. The expressions on show in this scene, especially Doremi's empty eyes when she was given the news was haunting with the sounds of the snow falling and the light cold breeze accenting it all. Then Doremi carrying out Non's wish to have a snowball fight with her mother as the credits rolled while everyone else watched on. It was the perfect way to cap off the story by fulfilling Non's final wish.

The great part is, there's still another episode of this series left to go.

This episode is something else, it has to be seen to be believed because someone writing their impressions will not give half the justice that can possibly be given to it.

Firstly
Non being made into a witch by Doremi. The segement where Non was granting the wishes of the other children was such a nice thing. I loved it when they made the hospital room a glass box floating in space, it gave a sense of wonder and excitement that could only be achieved with magic. It was beautiful.

Secondly
When Doremi found out that Non had passed away. The expressions on show in this scene, especially Doremi's empty eyes when she was given the news was haunting with the sounds of the snow falling and the light cold breeze accenting it all. Then Doremi carrying out Non's wish to have a snowball fight with her mother as the credits rolled while everyone else watched on. It was the perfect way to cap off the story by fulfilling Non's final wish.

Best part about this is that Ojamajo Doremi doesn't fall under the weight of it's formula like Sailor Moon and Precure does, in where MotW would ruin the flow of the episode in general.

It's like, this is a time where we shout "KIDS SHOW" because it most definitely isn't painting itself like one.

Firstly

Secondly

This episode is a thing of beauty. I think I recommend Doremi to KirbYayoi the first time because of this episode.

Syrinx

Firstly

Secondly

Goddamn what an episode this was. Probably a top five episode in the whole franchise.

This episode is a thing of beauty. I think I recommend Doremi to KirbYayoi the first time because of this episode.

Unless you were lurking somewhere else at the time under a different name on a different board, it was recommended to me because I enjoyed heartcatch, so they showed me the way to Doremi.

Granted, the trip was well worth the time

Unless you were lurking somewhere else at the time under a different name on a different board, it was recommended to me because I enjoyed heartcatch, so they showed me the way to Doremi.

Granted, the trip was well worth the time

I'm not saying I was the first person to recommend it to you.
I mentioned this episode to you sometime here in this board, when you were saying this about the MOTW ruining this type of episode.

Jintor

Log Horizon 21

Hnngghhh the shipping!

Without the drama of an immediately pressing threat, LH's 'eh' level animation becomes much more noticable. Looks like interesting things are going on in the west, though. Maybe another shipping episode next thing?

I'm thinking another 1 or 2 episodes of slow-pace/setup/shipping episodes then probably a two-part teaser/beginning for the next arc. Or maybe it's all slow episodes from here on out since they don't want to start anything before the next season (assuming there is one).

The rumour thing was a nice way to handle the death news. I also liked the way contradictory rumours about Shiroe are spreading.

Akatski better get some stuff to do next arc though :<

Log Horizon 21

Hnngghhh the shipping!

Without the drama of an immediately pressing threat, LH's 'eh' level animation becomes much more noticable. Looks like interesting things are going on in the west, though. Maybe another shipping episode next thing?

I'm thinking another 1 or 2 episodes of slow-pace/setup/shipping episodes then probably a two-part teaser/beginning for the next arc. Or maybe it's all slow episodes from here on out since they don't want to start anything before the next season (assuming there is one).

The rumour thing was a nice way to handle the death news. I also liked the way contradictory rumours about Shiroe are spreading.

Akatski better get some stuff to do next arc though :<

I'd love a second season, but if the dvd/blu ray sales are any indicator then it wont happen

cnet128

Banned
Heartcatch Precure! 10

A shit-going-down-ish episode, featuring the proper debut of the Dark Precure, the return of the mystery man from the second episode (seriously, what's the deal with that guy) and the timely appearance of a certain character whose identity would be blindingly obvious at this point even if I hadn't been spoiled on it.

Also, Sayaka got to play football like a boss. So that was fun.

Jarmel

Banned
Ehh hard to say because it's such a massive generalisation. I do think it's far, far more common for a show to start off strong because that's often where most of the time/money has been spent in terms of production and then two, three episodes later it all kinds of falls off and the show starts to look like shit and you realise all the vaguely hinted at potential just ends up being a mess.

Still, I think that's true in most entertainment mediums. Production staff spend a lot of time on the pilot/opening whatever because it absolutely has to hook the audience.

Either way, it's pretty rare for a show to start bad and then get good.

Well even for novels, the middle segment is where things go haywire. The middle part for any sort of story is hard to do compared to the beginning and ending.

Gintama' 242

Heh, Dirty Fireworks.

And a reminder that the males are practically kittens here.

We did find out several character's preferred DBZ character though.

Best part about this is that Ojamajo Doremi doesn't fall under the weight of it's formula like Sailor Moon and Precure does, in where MotW would ruin the flow of the episode in general.

It's like, this is a time where we shout "KIDS SHOW" because it most definitely isn't painting itself like one.

At times it is whimsical and comedic and other times it dives deep into themes that I don't think I have ever seen in a children's show. They don't put a foot wrong when it comes to handling it. It's truely remarkable.

I've been recommending it to people I know since I passed roughly Episode 10 of the first series but this may be the episode that gets them into it completely.

fertygo

Noragami - 08

Yukine is such a piece of shit
But looked like this is part of anime original no?

Considering most likely the dude
gonna got dat axe
in next episode, I doubt that actually happened in the manga this early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom