• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

It was more Kirarara not shutting her goddamn trap.

The fight itself was pretty lame and then the drama was feeling over the top.

I thought the idea of using clear parts to make your funnels was pretty clever, though. And the Aila fight against Felinni was never going to be the best fight in the show, cuz Felinni's coolest fight happened already, and Aila's best fight is still to come. I also really appreciated Felinni's willingness to use the self-destruct feature on the Wing Fenice, because it was a nice reference to the willingness of the Wing pilots to blow their Gundams up all the time. I was a little sad that Kirara stopped him, but hey, girlfriend gonna girlfriend, I guess. And it was nice to finally see them deliver on the Allenby references they've been making with Aila this whole time.

The episode also featured a hypnotic Sei pantomime getting slapped, which was incredible.

In space nobody can hear you feels, baby

Man ain't that the truth. "The dog
dies
" may be one of the oldest, cheapest tricks in the book for getting some feels out of an audience, but I'll be darned if I'm not a sucker for it every single time.

Symbiotic Titan 5

I love that Lance's driver's license looked horrible. The majority of the episode was on rules and when it is and isn't okay to break them, but I was too busy laughing at Newton's enjoyment of popsicles and interest in what a soccer mom was (which, btw, was a pretty clever insult) to care.

Setokai yakuindomo S2- 08

Matcho carnival tent pitching !

I like that they resued some part of the first season

I like the forshadowing from the past episodes .

And i have no idea how the squid max power skit will end.

Okz07ZZ.jpg

Yowamushi Pedal 20

My Manami x Onoda pairing is going down in the flames.

The moment the flashback kicked in and the childhood friend introduced him to cycling, just sealed the deal.

Gintama EtchaSketchon 258 Courtesan of a Nation Arc

Don't fuck with this Shogun?

Nobume sure is adaptive to everything. Suddenly Katsura would probably be rather fitting for this arc, but he's probably not even relevant for the rest of the show.

*that bed time story reaction was glorious.

CorvoSol

Kino's Journey 5

So there are two obvious themes to this episode: the first is the absurdity of "work." Especially work for the sake of work. The man in the country with no work says a lot of common things we hear about why people must work (so they won't get lazy, for instance). As we carry on we meet the three men on the railroad, whose work negates one another, and for a time we find their work to be as absurd, too (though notably, these men have legitimate reasons to work: to support their families. The problem for them is more that they work for families they will never know, and they work without thought or reason.).

The second is the peril of unwillingness to compromise or to listen. The people in the Land of Too Much Democracy got all French Revolution on each other when they couldn't agree, and it somehow lead them to do far, far worse than their "playful" king.

Inserted in the middle of this is the question of "Where are you headed?" which is of course an expression of the idea that a journey should have an end. The idea comes from the men who have goals which, ironically, prevent their own journeys from ever ending.

Beneath all of this, though, I think there's a message of "Is it better to be oblivious to pain and happy living a futile life, or is it better to know the truth, even if it consumes you?" The New King knows full well what he had done and what had become of his nation, and it drives him to end himself when it is all made clear. He is a miserable man whose awareness of the horrible state of his life has profited him nothing. The men on the rail way are utterly oblivious to the fates of their loved ones, and so they continue on with their labors, oblivious even of the futility of their tasks. They are, however, hopeful and happy. They believe, however wrongly, that their honest labors and sacrifices are helping others, and that their course is right, since no one has ever once told them they were wrong. The workers in the land of no work are people who think that, without pain there can be no knowledge, therefore the best way to find their fulfillment in life is to suffer meaninglessly. They're a sort of unusual parody of both sides of the scenario, I think.

What I find most interesting, though, is that Kino never really judges these people. She asks questions of them, such as "are you happy you live here?" and "don't you think it's strange that these tracks are so polished if they're supposed to be unused?" but when the people she asks these questions of do not respond, she simply carries on, pressing the point no further than the recipient was willing to go with it. I like that, because I think if you're going to be a real traveler you only have two options: either you dive right into the affairs of people everywhere you go and assume responsibility for it, or you stay out of their affairs and just learn about them.

Heysoos

Tokyo Ravens

Everyone finally found out the truth. Loved how they got rid of the opening and ending in favor of those Natsume segments.

Gintama Etchasketchson 259 Courtesan of a Nation Arc

That princess is a pretty awesome character.

That sudden development in regards to the Amanto war was pretty neat.
Gintoki looks fucked up here.

I guess Tsukuyo learned more about her OTP basically.

Not completely deserving of this, but don't fuck with this Shogun.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 5

So there are two obvious themes to this episode: the first is the absurdity of "work." Especially work for the sake of work. The man in the country with no work says a lot of common things we hear about why people must work (so they won't get lazy, for instance). As we carry on we meet the three men on the railroad, whose work negates one another, and for a time we find their work to be as absurd, too (though notably, these men have legitimate reasons to work: to support their families. The problem for them is more that they work for families they will never know, and they work without thought or reason.).

The second is the peril of unwillingness to compromise or to listen. The people in the Land of Too Much Democracy got all French Revolution on each other when they couldn't agree, and it somehow lead them to do far, far worse than their "playful" king.

Inserted in the middle of this is the question of "Where are you headed?" which is of course an expression of the idea that a journey should have an end. The idea comes from the men who have goals which, ironically, prevent their own journeys from ever ending.

Beneath all of this, though, I think there's a message of "Is it better to be oblivious to pain and happy living a futile life, or is it better to know the truth, even if it consumes you?" The New King knows full well what he had done and what had become of his nation, and it drives him to end himself when it is all made clear. He is a miserable man whose awareness of the horrible state of his life has profited him nothing. The men on the rail way are utterly oblivious to the fates of their loved ones, and so they continue on with their labors, oblivious even of the futility of their tasks. They are, however, hopeful and happy. They believe, however wrongly, that their honest labors and sacrifices are helping others, and that their course is right, since no one has ever once told them they were wrong. The workers in the land of no work are people who think that, without pain there can be no knowledge, therefore the best way to find their fulfillment in life is to suffer meaninglessly. They're a sort of unusual parody of both sides of the scenario, I think.

What I find most interesting, though, is that Kino never really judges these people. She asks questions of them, such as "are you happy you live here?" and "don't you think it's strange that these tracks are so polished if they're supposed to be unused?" but when the people she asks these questions of do not respond, she simply carries on, pressing the point no further than the recipient was willing to go with it. I like that, because I think if you're going to be a real traveler you only have two options: either you dive right into the affairs of people everywhere you go and assume responsibility for it, or you stay out of their affairs and just learn about them.

That episode is what I love about the show. It has a message to tell but because Kino never gets involved, you dont feel like its preaching to you. you are merely observing something thats going on and left to decipher the meaning of it yourself. You are left to decide if work has meaning or not and whether you lot or goals in life have any meaning themselves. Thats something we have all wondered at one time or another. But even if they dont, some people remain happy, because the meaning of life and working is different to everyone. Theres no right answer to it.

Don't know how they are gonna finish Norgami, gonna need an episode to explain Yato's background and another for Yukine and they haven't even introduced that other guy yet nor do we know what's going on with Nora. Too much content for 12 eps IMO

cnet128

Banned
Tokyo Ravens 20

shit shit shit shit
they better not have actually killed off Natsume because that would be the most fucked-up thing ever

D-Frag 8

You know what this ep made me kind of depressed.

Japanese game industry with super long running franchise that stagnates for a while, then the original members try to make a game with a leap in quality.

It turns out it has PS2 graphics and not only that but they show it via CG render.

Gintama Etchasketchson 260-261 Courtesan of the Nation Arc

Wow... a lot of plot advancements just fucking happened at once. A return of Overlords that haven't been relevant for awhile,
That unification. DON'T FUCK WITH THE CURRENT SHOGUN, him now being a puppet since his resignation was refused.

Man oh man, shit happened. shit went down. that ending.

Also, this show sure is continuing to put Tsukuyo down the route of being the OTP.

You know, it's too bad there's only.... 4 episodes left.

Don't know how they are gonna finish Norgami, gonna need an episode to explain Yato's background and another for Yukine and they haven't even introduced that other guy yet nor do we know what's going on with Nora. Too much content for 12 eps IMO

Episode 9 looks to be wrapping up Yukine's arc, and then 10-12 should unpack the anime-original character, Nora, and Yato's past, which are all linked together. That's plenty of time to come to a solid stopping point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So I have decided to watch the Monster series at long last and yea I should have watched this one ages ago, it is quite the top notch stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Hopefully so. Although, I guess they'll release Hoshimittsu on Blu-ray first.

Heh. When I first saw the title of this anime series I thought you were making some sort of joke.

Yeah I was gonna say, they have to finish releasing all the original stuff on bluray then get to Honeycomb. Including SP.

cnet128

Banned
Honestly, I think the writers forgot about it for most of the show as well.

Double checking the AotY results, it didn't even get one vote. Wow.

Damn, literally the only mentions it got in the voting thread were position 20 in my list of 66 and a dishonourable mention from Zach. C3-bu didn't deserve this D:

Hunter x Hunter 118

Some damn tense moments for Ikarugo and Knuckle.

And
Killua being amazing as usual
=D

Girls Und Panzer 07-08 (rewatch)
Still great.

Shakugan no Shana 01 (ENG)
1349722887403.gif

Cruel and unusual punishment.

I could never get past the first two episodes of Girls and Panzer. Idk. I could never get into it.

Shakugan no Shana was so freakin out there with it's first episode I never went back.

But my 3 episode rule must be enforced. So I must go back to both and give them one more shot. :/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Futabu! 1

Well when you're adapting a source, not everything will stay the same in terms of character design, persay. Although it's safe to say we have our Sentai group established already (I think there was someone else joining the club very soon).

Our red haired girl is introduced to a club where she reacts that she's in a Winter Wonderland. This would probably be a place where Hijikata also gets his surplus of mayonnaise.

The brief workings of the girl's stature feels like a reminder where the taller, beefier ones have a 4th dimensional pockets to store the Incredible Caulk. Granted, when it comes to this stuff, everyone is like a 4th dimensional pocket.

I think one thing I would praise it is that it leaves far more for the imagination of the viewers, unlike other animes of this ilk where it's far too explicit in what it shows to the point of spiting its viewers for multiple reasons. Granted considering how unrealistic the scenario is, being super explicit would make zero fucking sense.

Animation wise, it's what you would expect from this. This however, felt really short, no thanks to the Opening being super long (over 7 minutes, what the fuck?), leaving little time to do more animation. Hope this isn't a trend going on from here. I barely care for OPs in this genre to begin with.

At least this is something SDBurton can get behind with though.

I must've read this post like five times, each time going "this can't be a review of what I think it is".

But no, it is. Ahahahaha.

Theonik

I could never get past the first two episodes of Girls and Panzer. Idk. I could never get into it.

Shakugan no Shana was so freakin out there with it's first episode I never went back.

But my 3 episode rule must be enforced. So I must go back to both and give them one more shot. :/
Don't watch more Shana watch Girls Und Panzer. Save yourself

Mr.Jeff

Infinite Stratos 2 - 01
Why is this show not just about Laura and Char being gay for each other. Get rid of everyone else. Just make it 25 minutes of them almost-but-not-quite making out like they did in this episode.

That aside there's more bullshit foreshadowing at the start and a rather confusing hostage situation in a cafe which makes no sense. They run and don't demand any money but just take the cafe hostage and demand an unmarked car. Even if they were asking for money, why rob a cafe? Why rob a cafe with 3 people? Why rob a cafe WHILE WEARING A FUCKING EXPLOSIVE JACKET? Also, how the fuck do you disable a highly volatile explosive like that by shooting it.

Also later we also see a highly competent group of trained soldiers stop an intruder by standing around waiting to get shot.

All in all, basically business as usual for IS.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hope it comes to AMZN prime streaming, people talk so much about it, that I feel left out not having seen it.
It's worth watching in a theater if it's still there. It's really a film made for the big screen.

Is that your blurb on the box?
It's everyone's blurb.

rip anime
Anime is dead, long live anime!

Infinite Stratos 2 - 01
Why is this show not just about Laura and Char being gay for each other. Get rid of everyone else. Just make it 25 minutes of them almost-but-not-quite making out like they did in this episode.

That aside there's more bullshit foreshadowing at the start and a rather confusing hostage situation in a cafe which makes no sense. They run and don't demand any money but just take the cafe hostage and demand an unmarked car. Even if they were asking for money, why rob a cafe? Why rob a cafe with 3 people? Why rob a cafe WHILE WEARING A FUCKING EXPLOSIVE JACKET? Also, how the fuck do you disable a highly volatile explosive like that by shooting it.

Also later we also see a highly competent group of trained soldiers stop an intruder by standing around waiting to get shot.

Now you have to go back and watch the director's cut version of episode 1. lol

Children of Men > Gravity.

I loved Gravity.
Gravity is the better film. Children of Men is the better story!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I watched the "Special Edition" of episode 1 which I presume is the same thing. What did it change, Oracle of the IS, firehawk-sama?
Ah, you already got the premium pool experience!

I can live with this statement.
Yep. Gravity is a film where the script is basically an excuse to shoot an amazing movie.

Looking at the special features, it's kind of funny. The NASA experts on the Planetes DVDs basically said that the idea of having a space junk collection service is crazy, but the documentary here insist that it's a major problem that they need to solve. lol

Kino's Journey 5

Loving these write-ups. This is exactly the reason why Kino is so good. Everything is left up to the viewer to think about these things about each individual country. Kino's just going with the flow. And the different countries these people live in only get more and more interesting from here on out.

cajunator

Banned

Well. I guess I need to see it now.
Froze is coming out soon so maybe Ill pick it up around when that comes out.

Don't watch more Shana watch Girls Und Panzer. Save yourself

This. Good advice.

Infinite Stratos 2 - 01

Lol. I agree. Laura X Charl OTP
Goodness that was incredible. Why mess with Ichika at all?

Hooray Futabu! gaining attention!

Gintama Achosenson 262-264 Beam Saber Arc

Strangely enough, an arc that is a showcase that if something occurs to disrupt the norms of character interactions, it will reset by the end of the arc, and strangely, a display in where Gintoki
isn't the one to seal the deal at the end.

Clearly it's a Star Wars reference all over, even naming a character Obi-one. We finally bring back the whole "restore the dojo" part of Otae and Shinpachi's character, along with the origin of Otae's smile, much to Kondo and Kyubei's displeasure
this being a disruptive motion in the established formula

In general, you have people acting rather odd due to Obi-one
like Gin basically bowing down to the Shinsengumi and the likes in order to protect people.

Another thing I liked was
Shinpachi being the one to deal the final blow, as much as it pained him to take down his "big brother". All the pain that was in this arc

Man, Katsura definitely got the short end of the stick here. I mean he was in the first major arc of the season, but that was about it. Tsukuyo and the Shinsengumi were more prominent.

cajunator

Banned
Loving these write-ups. This is exactly the reason why Kino is so good. Everything is left up to the viewer to think about these things about each individual country. Kino's just going with the flow. And the different countries these people live in only get more and more interesting from here on out.

Yes. I love that it doesnt beat you on the head with its messages. It just presents everything and leaves it up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom