• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Thank you for reminding me this was out. I need more than just Sasami-san@Ganbaranai.

Hooray Futabu! gaining attention!

Is...is this really happening?

TGwe3ir.gif

cnet128

Banned

Oh hey, I think that's the same Kyubey I've got =D

Photo I posted when I originally got it for comparison:

yes it was a bitch getting him to stay in a decent pose like that

Kino no Tabi 5

Hm, I feel like there was a bit of a missed opportunity here. I was expecting
Kino to keep travelling along the rails after meeting the third worker, ride a long way while watching as the rails grew more and more dirty and overgrown, and finally run into the first worker again.

If the rails were actually running in a big loop, it would complete the irony of all three workers doing completely meaningless work, as well as neatly answering the potential question of how all three workers managed to follow these rails for fifty years without running out of rails or getting anywhere. It would also tie in to the question of where Kino was actually going (nowhere) and even Kino's little spiel at the beginning of the episode about it being easiest to lose your way in a forest (since she would never have wound up going in circles if she hadn't been blindly relying on the rails). It would also require her to leave the rails at the very end of the episode, which sounds totally meaningful or something.

At any rate, the biggest question this episode left me wondering was
what is actually going on back in the three rail workers' home country. Has the rail company really been paying all three of their families for the meaningless work they're doing? For fifty years? That's a pretty stupid company if so. But at the same time, it would presumably be a breach of contract for the company to just stop paying their families without notifying the workers that they were dismissed, so that scenario doesn't seem too likely either. And even if the company went bust, you'd think someone would have to send notification to their employees to stop working (their families would insist on it if nobody else did!)

So I suppose the most likely explanation for why the workers haven't heard anything for fifty years is that their entire country has somehow perished in the meantime. Oh god, please tell me it wasn't the democratic country. That would just be the icing on the cake.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
D-Frag 8

You know what this ep made me kind of depressed.

Japanese game industry with super long running franchise that stagnates for a while, then the original members try to make a game with a leap in quality.

It turns out it has PS2 graphics and not only that but they show it via CG render.

I thought it was pretty hilarious. Also reflective (and damning) of Japanese games in general.

Also, poor poor Takao. She should win this so easily but shes doomed. At least shes trying to win his heart even if its obviously not going to work.

And it's totally messed up how she actually thinks shes fat.

cajunator

Banned
March is the month of death. :(

In our family's case yes March has been a terrible month of death.

AnimeGAF, Robotics;Notes, yep or nope?

Yes. Im watching it right now and its been really enjoyable thus far (4 episodes)

Oh hey, I think that's the same Kyubey I've got =D

Photo I posted when I originally got it for comparison:

yes it was a bitch getting him to stay in a decent pose like that

Kino no Tabi 5

Hm, I feel like there was a bit of a missed opportunity here. I was expecting
Kino to keep travelling along the rails after meeting the third worker, ride a long way while watching as the rails grew more and more dirty and overgrown, and finally run into the first worker again.

If the rails were actually running in a big loop, it would complete the irony of all three workers doing completely meaningless work, as well as neatly answering the potential question of how all three workers managed to follow these rails for fifty years without running out of rails or getting anywhere. It would also tie in to the question of where Kino was actually going (nowhere) and even Kino's little spiel at the beginning of the episode about it being easiest to lose your way in a forest (since she would never have wound up going in circles if she hadn't been blindly relying on the rails). It would also require her to leave the rails at the very end of the episode, which sounds totally meaningful or something.

At any rate, the biggest question this episode left me wondering was
what is actually going on back in the three rail workers' home country. Has the rail company really been paying all three of their families for the meaningless work they're doing? For fifty years? That's a pretty stupid company if so. But at the same time, it would presumably be a breach of contract for the company to just stop paying their families without notifying the workers that they were dismissed, so that scenario doesn't seem too likely either. And even if the company went bust, you'd think someone would have to send notification to their employees to stop working (their families would insist on it if nobody else did!)

So I suppose the most likely explanation for why the workers haven't heard anything for fifty years is that their entire country has somehow perished in the meantime. Oh god, please tell me it wasn't the democratic country. That would just be the icing on the cake.

While that could have worked theres also the possibility
of them running into each other accidentally which would negate the purpose.
But then again maybe it wouldnt be possible. Youll be asking so many more questions! Oh I love Kinos Journey so much!

Urusei Yatsura - 43

Who let hito near the script for this episode?
You never said you liked Ashita no Joe. The fight was hype and Jariten is spending too much time with Ataru.
Serious Ataru voice is so good. "Only an idiot would forget that our arms are of different lengths"

Madoka MAgica. Its Kyubey.
I have a plastic figure of him.

Puella Madoka Magic right? I remember that show. Was going to watch it like a year ago or something and realised that apparently its quite violent despite appearances. Is it good? I mean Battleship Yamato good not Girls und Panzer good (which was bad).

Gintama': Enchouson 265 END

February 9th, 2014 to February 25th

Final Sadaharu episode. A shock considering how little attention he really got over time. And oddly enough, reduced the Odd Jobs to their lowest point I've ever seen.
Eating dog food really?

....16 days. 16 days watching Gintama. That's quite a lot of time. And I can't say it was wasted, because I enjoyed the 16 days spent on watching Gintama.

It has a rather expansive cast list, and makes a lot of call backs to characters when it's necessary for them to come out. As for this short season, it was pretty much focused on story arcs, in a way, to say "hey, sorry if you weren't fond of multiple not-arc episodes"
and if you weren't fond, there's a problem

This also gave me more fondness of Sugita's work. Good lord, he played a great Gin. Loved the range of his voice and how it was utilized. Enjoyed when a lot of characters gained quirks to stand out. Although, in regards to Shinpachi-is-the-glasses quirk, I feel like I've seen it somewhere before... I can't put my finger on it though. It feels like something I was watching not too long ago.

...anyway, I would like to thank AnimeGAF, for building me up to take on this behemoth, as well as steering me in the way through recommendations and peer pressure. I thank you, Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart, for making me unlock my drive as Cure Marathon, and the constant tempering of being able to take on shows I set my sights on.

In some ways... I need a break... a refresher of sorts before the next big wave. What it'll be.... who knows... there's already candidates lined up.

cajunator

Banned
Puella Madoka Magic right? I remember that show. Was going to watch it like a year ago or something and realised that apparently its quite violent despite appearances. Is it good? I mean Battleship Yamato good not Girls und Panzer good (which was bad).

Its very good and it actually sold really really well.
It was enormously popular.

Syrinx

Kino's Journey 5

So there are two obvious themes to this episode: the first is the absurdity of "work." Especially work for the sake of work. The man in the country with no work says a lot of common things we hear about why people must work (so they won't get lazy, for instance). As we carry on we meet the three men on the railroad, whose work negates one another, and for a time we find their work to be as absurd, too (though notably, these men have legitimate reasons to work: to support their families. The problem for them is more that they work for families they will never know, and they work without thought or reason.).

The second is the peril of unwillingness to compromise or to listen. The people in the Land of Too Much Democracy got all French Revolution on each other when they couldn't agree, and it somehow lead them to do far, far worse than their "playful" king.

Inserted in the middle of this is the question of "Where are you headed?" which is of course an expression of the idea that a journey should have an end. The idea comes from the men who have goals which, ironically, prevent their own journeys from ever ending.

Beneath all of this, though, I think there's a message of "Is it better to be oblivious to pain and happy living a futile life, or is it better to know the truth, even if it consumes you?" The New King knows full well what he had done and what had become of his nation, and it drives him to end himself when it is all made clear. He is a miserable man whose awareness of the horrible state of his life has profited him nothing. The men on the rail way are utterly oblivious to the fates of their loved ones, and so they continue on with their labors, oblivious even of the futility of their tasks. They are, however, hopeful and happy. They believe, however wrongly, that their honest labors and sacrifices are helping others, and that their course is right, since no one has ever once told them they were wrong. The workers in the land of no work are people who think that, without pain there can be no knowledge, therefore the best way to find their fulfillment in life is to suffer meaninglessly. They're a sort of unusual parody of both sides of the scenario, I think.

What I find most interesting, though, is that Kino never really judges these people. She asks questions of them, such as "are you happy you live here?" and "don't you think it's strange that these tracks are so polished if they're supposed to be unused?" but when the people she asks these questions of do not respond, she simply carries on, pressing the point no further than the recipient was willing to go with it. I like that, because I think if you're going to be a real traveler you only have two options: either you dive right into the affairs of people everywhere you go and assume responsibility for it, or you stay out of their affairs and just learn about them.

Thing that stuck with me about this episode is how Kino would tell the people she met on the track about the village she went to where nobody needed to work, but they worked anyway. And the first guy kinda laughed at them for working for no real reason at all, all while he was unknowingly doing the exact same thing. Second guy was kinda envious of the people for not having to work, even though the work he was doing was just as pointless as theirs.

Third guy, I think Kino declined to tell him about it. Still trying to figure out why that was.

Acosta

Hunter X Hunter 118

It´s sooooo tough watching this arc, each episode leaves you wanting for more and I can't wait for several weeks to watch some in a row.

Killua bossing as usual, really eager to watch next episode

I think I'm going to accelerate watching Tokyo Ravens.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Final Sadaharu episode. A shock considering how little attention he really got over time. And oddly enough, reduced the Odd Jobs to their lowest point I've ever seen.
Eating dog food really?

....16 days. 16 days watching Gintama. That's quite a lot of time. And I can't say it was wasted, because I enjoyed the 16 days spent on watching Gintama.

It has a rather expansive cast list, and makes a lot of call backs to characters when it's necessary for them to come out. As for this short season, it was pretty much focused on story arcs, in a way, to say "hey, sorry if you weren't fond of multiple not-arc episodes"

This also gave me more fondness of Sugita's work. Good lord, he played a great Gin. Loved the range of his voice and how it was utilized. Enjoyed when a lot of characters gained quirks to stand out. Although, in regards to Shinpachi-is-the-glasses quirk, I feel like I've seen it somewhere before... I can't put my finger on it though. It feels like something I was watching not too long ago.

...anyway, I would like to thank AnimeGAF, for building me up to take on this behemoth, as well as steering me in the way through recommendations and peer pressure. I thank you, Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart, for making me unlock my drive as Cure Marathon, and the constant tempering of being able to take on shows I set my sights on.

In some ways... I need a break... a refresher of sorts before the next big wave. What it'll be.... who knows... there's already candidates lined up.
1) You're crazy.

2) Also, you need to watch the movie.

Theonik

That aside there's more bullshit foreshadowing at the start and a rather confusing hostage situation in a cafe which makes no sense. They run and don't demand any money but just take the cafe hostage and demand an unmarked car. Even if they were asking for money, why rob a cafe? Why rob a cafe with 3 people? Why rob a cafe WHILE WEARING A FUCKING EXPLOSIVE JACKET? Also, how the fuck do you disable a highly volatile explosive like that by shooting it.
Most detonated explosives wouldn't explode by being shot. That's the point of the detonator in the first place. C4 for instance will only explode by a very dramatic change in pressure and heat, and is detonated with a primary explosion. It will otherwise just burn.

I watched the "Special Edition" of episode 1 which I presume is the same thing. What did it change, Oracle of the IS, firehawk-sama?
Remember that stupid pool montage retardedness at the end? Well it was even more awful montagey.

AnimeGAF, Robotics;Notes, yep or nope?
nope

Urusei Yatsura - 43
Well UY moved up 10 spaces in the backlog right now. Will depend on how readily I can source it in HD.

Madoka Magica is very well done. That's a show I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone. It's a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre.

That's all I can say about it without spoiling the show.

In our family's case yes March has been a terrible month of death.

Oh no :(. I hope you're doing okay. My condolences.

Gazoinks

It's excellent (real good, not fake good), you should definitely watch it.

jman2050

Madoka Magica is very well done. That's a show I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone. It's a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre.

That's all I can say about it without spoiling the show.

Oh no it's that word again, hide your kids hide your wife etc. etc.

Kidding aside, Madoka Magica is Real Good and so is the sequel movie.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Urusei Yatsura - 43

Who let hito near the script for this episode?
You never said you liked Ashita no Joe. The fight was hype and Jariten is spending too much time with Ataru.
Serious Ataru voice is so good. "Only an idiot would forget that our arms are of different lengths"
If I wrote that episode it wouldn't have ended as it did!

cnet128

Banned

wow @ that url.

Heartcatch Precure 12

HE
PROPOSED
TO THE DESATORIAN XD

AND IT WORKED XD

I mean, sure, I was wondering how they were going to resolve this episode's dilemma with the need for a Desatorian battle, but I think I can safely say I was not expecting it to work out quite like that xp

Also, Marine inside the water Desatorian was amazing.

Mature

Patlabor: The TV Series - 13-24
Still pretty great with just a couple of rotten episodes midway through. Specifically, the Shadow in Geo-Front episode was pretty abysmal. The setup and execution was harmless enough, but the prehistoric monster that Kanuka and Noa end up fighting was a pretty stupid concept. And even that would be forgivable if they didn't go the way of Sphere and have a cop out with "No on will believe us anyway, so lets just not talk about it" at the end. Uhh, didn't the exact episode previous just have a plot point involving taking footage captured from the Ingram in order to prove someones whereabouts? Talk about a serious inconsistency.

Though some episodes left a bad taste in my mouth, I definitely came up positive. I especially liked the episode with Kanuka and Noa bonding over drinking. I think those personal moments are what set Patlabor aside from normal Sci-Fi mecha shows. That and it's distinct brand of humor. The episode involving the warring Yakuza gangs vying for attention from Noa was clever and had me laughing. The two farewell episodes with Kanuka at the end were pretty sweet, too. Episode 23 was one of the few recap episodes in history where I'm glad it happened— it really helped show the growth the unit has had since the first episode. It also made Kanuka's exit that much more sentimental. Hope to see her again in the future.

I happened to catch a preview of the OVA series in the extra portion of this BD. Man... I am -really- looking forward to that. As well as seeing WXIII for the first time and rewatching the other two movies. Needless to say, I'm hooked. The next volume is in the mail! (Why are these so expensive..?)

sonicmj1

Approximately 16.5 episodes a day.

Don't watch more Shana watch Girls Und Panzer. Save yourself

It's my own rule and I like to abide by it. I passed up too many good animes because I didn't like the first and/or second episode. So now that's my Three Episodes Rule (TER). I figure if I am not getting into it by the third episode then I am just wasting my time. So far this rule hasn't failed me once.

The only exception to this rule was Excel Saga. I somehow made it to episode 2 but at that point it was either my sanity or keep watching. I chose to keep at least some of my sanity.

This. Good advice.

Maybe. We will see.

Hunter x Hunter 118

That's one way to blow off your steam. Knuckle went nuts on Youpi thanks to that save.

You know what we need? a Pacemaker.

Theonik

It's my own rule and I like to abide by it. I passed up too many good animes because I didn't like the first and/or second episode. So now that's my Three Episodes Rule (TER). I figure if I am not getting into it by the third episode then I am just wasting my time. So far this rule hasn't failed me once.

The only exception to this rule was Excel Saga. I somehow made it to episode 2 but at that point it was either my sanity or keep watching. I chose to keep at least some of my sanity.
TER is good. But if I can warn people against tripe then I will!

CorvoSol

Thing that stuck with me about this episode is how Kino would tell the people she met on the track about the village she went to where nobody needed to work, but they worked anyway. And the first guy kinda laughed at them for working for no real reason at all, all while he was unknowingly doing the exact same thing. Second guy was kinda envious of the people for not having to work, even though the work he was doing was just as pointless as theirs.

Third guy, I think Kino declined to tell him about it. Still trying to figure out why that was.

If I had to guess why Kino didn't bother to tell the third man the same story, it would be because doing so would mean Kino herself had become like the whole rest of them. The people in the Land without Work worked without meaning. The first man laughed at this, but worked without meaning anyway. So did the second. If Kino had bothered to try to tell the third man, she would have just been repeating the mistake: making an effort that had no meaning or purpose. Since Kino learned that oftentimes we make a mistake even as we tell ourselves we won't, she elected not to tell the third man.

I mean, what good would it have done? He was happy with what he was doing, there was nothing waiting for him back home, and technically, of the three, he was the one man who was doing anything of purpose, since his efforts were not being undone by others. So she just let him be, because telling him wouldn't have convinced him to stop, and even if it did, he didn't have a life to go back to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom