• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I thought you were an African American gentleman, not an anime character?!?

537.gif

Every black male is actually a anime character, take me for instance.
Ashleytrans.png

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
How do you guys keep up with everything. Everytime I peek into these threads, I feel hopelessly overwhelmed.

You don't.

You just skim for relevant impressions, community chatter and scroll past the general nonsense.

CorvoSol

Higurashi 7

Just as I think to myself "You know this is a fairly not terrifying episode."

IT MUST BE IT MUST BE IT MUST BE IT MUST BE IT MUST BE IT MUST BE IT MUST BE IT MUST BE IT MUST BE IT MUST BE

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Seriously, isn't there anybody interested in a Rozen Maiden 2013 watchbet that doesn't want me to watch Strike Witches?
I already watched Rozen Maiden, and I'd only make you watch something worse.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Seriously, isn't there anybody interested in a Rozen Maiden 2013 watchbet that doesn't want me to watch Strike Witches?

I thought that the whole point of this was that you were so desperate to spread the word of Rozen Maiden that you'd watch literally anything in exchange for someone watching it.

Branduil

I thought that the whole point of this was that you were so desperate to spread the word of Rozen Maiden that you'd watch literally anything in exchange for someone watching it.

The point is to spread it, but I'd prefer it if the watchbet required me to watch something good rather than punishing me for no reason.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 01-04

So, seeing how this won AOTY with little to no effort whatsoever, I decided to check it out. For some reason I had this sense of deja-vu when I was looking at the character designs and the spaceships. After doing a little research (aka dat google-fu) I found out why. The creator, Matsumoto Leiji was also the man behind Interstella 5555: The 5tory of The 5ecret 5tar 5ystem. Interstella is without a doubt one of my all time favorites (I originally first came across it when the did little snippets on MTV at like 2 am over decade ago). Not only because of the eye catching visuals and awesome animation, but because of its awe-inspiring ability to portray emotion and draw feelings through music. Aside from the lyrics accompanying select tracks, there is no dialogue whatsoever. From start to finish you're being sent through a journey of emotions courtesy of Daft Punk and their amazing album Discovery. You'll dance when you're listening to One More Time, you'll swoon when you get to Digital Love, and if you're like me, you'll bawl like a baby once you reach Something About Us. To be able to summon those kind of emotions within someone by just music and animation, I cannot imagine how I'll fare with Yamato when you incorporate dialogue to add to dramatic scenes. Been very pleased with what I've seen so far, looking forward to how things go from here.

GaoGaiGar - 3

Is the repeatedly flashing lights during the villain scheming scenes going to be a thing? Like, it's completely unnecessary and makes it hard to watch. Is someone in the villain's lair constantly flicking the lights on and off? Do they think their evil lair is more evil with constantly flickering lights?

Other than that, I liked this episode. The main kid character isn't annoying, and I want to go along to see what the deal is with him. Though I think anyone would want to know what the hell is up with a little boy that turns into freaking anime Tinker-Bell. Hopefully we'll get some information as to why that happens soon.

Guy is a pretty fragile creature isn't he? For two episodes so far after piloting GaoGaiGar he's been on a hospital bed (or lab table, being a cyborg and all) being taken care of by Dr. Light only to be restored by our magical fairy child here.

But plot points aside, the real highlight of this episode was the theme song playing during GaoGaiGar's finishing Hell and Heaven! Man I love it when shows do that!

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar - 3

Is the repeatedly flashing lights during the villain scheming scenes going to be a thing? Like, it's completely unnecessary and makes it hard to watch. Is someone in the villain's lair constantly flicking the lights on and off? Do they think their evil lair is more evil with constantly flickering lights?

Other than that, I liked this episode. The main kid character isn't annoying, and I want to go along to see what the deal is with him. Though I think anyone would want to know what the hell is up with a little boy that turns into freaking anime Tinker-Bell. Hopefully we'll get some information as to why that happens soon.

Guy is a pretty fragile creature isn't he? For two episodes so far after piloting GaoGaiGar he's been on a hospital bed (or lab table, being a cyborg and all) being taken care of by Dr. Light only to be restored by our magical fairy child here.

But plot points aside, the real highlight of this episode was the theme song playing during GaoGaiGar's finishing Hell and Heaven! Man I love it when shows do that!

Then you came to the right series,

friend.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The point is to spread it, but I'd prefer it if the watchbet required me to watch something good rather than punishing me for no reason.

Show me a true evangelist who didn't suffer for his faith.

I recently failed a Strike Witches watchbet so I may understand your own hesitation better than even you.

cajunator

Banned
Show me a true evangelist who didn't suffer for his faith.

I recently failed a Strike Witches watchbet so I may understand your own hesitation better than even you.

You watched all of Max Heart and you couldnt even make it through a fun Show like Strike witches? For shame.

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 01-04

So, seeing how this won AOTY with little to no effort whatsoever, I decided to check it out. For some reason I had this sense of deja-vu when I was looking at the character designs and the spaceships. After doing a little research (aka dat google-fu) I found out why. The creator, Matsumoto Leiji was also the man behind Interstella 5555: The 5tory of The 5ecret 5tar 5ystem. Interstella is without a doubt one of my all time favorites (I originally first came across it when the did little snippets on MTV at like 2 am over decade ago). Not only because of the eye catching visuals and awesome animation, but because of its awe-inspiring ability to portray emotion and draw feelings through music. Aside from the lyrics accompanying select tracks, there is no dialogue whatsoever. From start to finish you're being sent through a journey of emotions courtesy of Daft Punk and their amazing album Discovery. You'll dance when you're listening to One More Time, you'll swoon when you get to Digital Love, and if you're like me, you'll bawl like a baby once you reach Something About Us. To be able to summon those kind of emotions within someone by just music and animation, I cannot imagine how I'll fare with Yamato when you incorporate dialogue to add to dramatic scenes. Been very pleased with what I've seen so far, looking forward to how things go from here.

Leiji (Reiji?) Matsumoto was behind the original Yamato series, but I don't think he has any direct involvement with 2199, which seems to mess with the original's plotting and characters pretty heavily.

Honoka was fuel for Max Heart until you realize she has less screentime than both Nagisa and the deer. Then it was just hype fuel from FW burning through Max Heart.

Just one of many many unsettling things in that show.

SPEAKING OF...

Dog & Scissors 08

The fact Kazu finds
Natsuno and his sister getting it on hot
is hilarious, but this episode just cemented the fact that she's a little... out there. She's trying to seriously court a dog. I know it'd go against the premise, but him being human would alleviate so many things for me (even if he still has a yandere sister, which totally wouldn't change either way).

Mature

I watched a bit of it. Appreciated the direction and production, but the plot and setting did absolutely nothing for me. Character designs too, though that's less of a damning factor.

Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal 1

Wow, that was some heavy stuff in the beginning, but then I saw the action scenes, oh my god, so good.
One of the best OVAs out there. Enjoy it.

Edit: What zeroshiki said.

CorvoSol

Higurashi 8

Fuuuuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I swear to God, if we Code Geass R2 AGAIN in episode 9, I'm gonna be PISSED. They'd better be going somewhere with this, or I'm going to lose interest real fast. 2nd arc wasn't anywhere near as creepy as the first, and too much of it was spent retreading the same shit as the last. I REALLY do not want to watch 26 episodes of "variations on the exact same fucking plot".

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Leiji (Reiji?) Matsumoto was behind the original Yamato series, but I don't think he has any direct involvement with 2199, which seems to mess with the original's plotting and characters pretty heavily.

Correct, I was referring to the original as the more recent 2199 has some similarities to it, which then prompted me to make the connection to Interstella.

JCG

Higurashi 8

Fuuuuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I swear to God, if we Code Geass R2 AGAIN in episode 9, I'm gonna be PISSED. They'd better be going somewhere with this, or I'm going to lose interest real fast. 2nd arc wasn't anywhere near as creepy as the first, and too much of it was spent retreading the same shit as the last. I REALLY do not want to watch 26 episodes of "variations on the exact same fucking plot".

They will go somewhere with this...eventually, so your endurance and/or interest is definitely a factor.

Likewise, it's inevitable that a few things will repeat, but I'd say there are enough differences to make some arcs better than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom