• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Higurashi 8

Fuuuuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I swear to God, if we Code Geass R2 AGAIN in episode 9, I'm gonna be PISSED. They'd better be going somewhere with this, or I'm going to lose interest real fast. 2nd arc wasn't anywhere near as creepy as the first, and too much of it was spent retreading the same shit as the last. I REALLY do not want to watch 26 episodes of "variations on the exact same fucking plot".

We've entered an endless recursion of time.

Syrinx

After three episodes of Archer, every thought I'm having is in H. Jon Benjamin's voice. This is a problem (is it a problem?) that I have.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
After three episodes of Archer, every thought I'm having is in H. Jon Benjamin's voice. This is a problem (is it a problem?) that I have.

It's not a problem. It's an improvement.

zeroshiki

You haven't watched Rozen Maiden 2013 yet? Well, Mouryou no Hako is on my backlog anyway so I might as well take this one too.

That'll probably be it, I think 3 watchbets at once is enough.

sonicmj1 was gonna watch Rozen Maiden anyway so you got suckered into that watchbet :p

fertygo

Higurashi 8

I swear to God, if we Code Geass R2 AGAIN in episode 9, I'm gonna be PISSED. They'd better be going somewhere with this, or I'm going to lose interest real fast. 2nd arc wasn't anywhere near as creepy as the first, and too much of it was spent retreading the same shit as the last. I REALLY do not want to watch 26 episodes of "variations on the exact same fucking plot".

you won't, till S2 at least.. its the formula.

His voice is sexy butter. Imagine being a fan of Home Movies, Bob's Burgers, Venture Bros, older Family Guy and Archer. I hear his voice everywhere.

Gazoinks

Higurashi 8

In the manga at least there were some pretty significant differences in each go round. Usually focused on a different character's angst each time and stuff.

Branduil

A watchbet is only a sucker's bet when people make malicious offerings instead of mutually commendable works. Or when people trade million-episode series for an OVA or something.

CorvoSol

They will go somewhere with this...eventually, so your endurance and/or interest is definitely a factor.

Likewise, it's inevitable that a few things will repeat, but I'd say there are enough differences to make some arcs better than others.

We've entered an endless recursion of time.

you won't, till S2 at least.. its the formula.

In the manga at least there were some pretty significant differences in each go round. Usually focused on a different character's angst each time and stuff.

Higurashi 9

Okay then, could someone explain to me what this show's deal is? Is it really "take it from the top" every 5 episodes then?

JoeFu

Banned
You get answers and stuff later. I don't remember much about that show at all, but there are "episode name answer" episodes later on or something like that.

So the armor Sousuke wears in FMP, the black blocky one with red stripes, looks a bit like Mass Effect's N7 armor.

Good going Mass Effect. You weren't happy with only stealing google images, you also had to steal from animu.

Branduil

Higurashi 9

Okay then, could someone explain to me what this show's deal is? Is it really "take it from the top" every 5 episodes then?

Without spoiling anything, there are actually in-universe explanations for what's happening and you'll get them eventually.

CorvoSol

So the armor Sousuke wears in FMP, the black blocky one with red stripes, looks a bit like Mass Effect's N7 armor.

Good going Mass Effect. You weren't happy with only stealing google images, you also had to steal from animu.

You're not a cool mecha pilot if you don't have a unique set of threads.

cajunator

Banned
A watchbet is only a sucker's bet when people make malicious offerings instead of mutually commendable works. Or when people trade million-episode series for an OVA or something.

Im gonna watch FMP in exchange for Corvy watching Kinos Journey. This is referred to as a gentleman's agreement.

CorvoSol

Without spoiling anything, there are actually in-universe explanations for what's happening and you'll get them eventually.

Okay. Question #2: are these answers in the first 26 episodes or am I in for a 55 or whatever long haul?

Im gonna watch FMP in exchange for Corvy watching Kinos Journey. This is referred to as a gentleman's agreement.

So Kino's Journey has been decided, then?

sonicmj1

sonicmj1 was gonna watch Rozen Maiden anyway so you got suckered into that watchbet :p

It's been high on my backlog since it finished, but I have no idea when I would have been able to convince myself to actually start it (kind of like those Patlabor DVDs...). This means I've got a reason to begin. And I'd like to believe that Mouryou no Hako is good enough that someone won't feel cheated after they watch it.

cajunator

Banned
Okay. Question #2: are these answers in the first 26 episodes or am I in for a 55 or whatever long haul?

So Kino's Journey has been decided, then?

Kino will be a very interesting show for you to givd impressions. It could be rage or admiration or even confusion but I look forward to the results

CorvoSol

We could spoil it for you but where would the fun in that be?

I don't want spoilers, I just wanted to know what the hell was going on with this show. The transition from one arc to the next is, if nothing else, unexplained and abrupt. This is the third time, now, with no explanation, so I think my confusion at what is going on is justifiable and understandable.

I don't want spoilers, I just wanted to know what the hell was going on with this show. The transition from one arc to the next is, if nothing else, unexplained and abrupt. This is the third time, now, with no explanation, so I think my confusion at what is going on is justifiable and understandable.

Being confused and scared is half the Higurashi Experience!

Clannad After Story 2

Shinpachi is always loser in love. Then it got weird.
Sanae why.

Yeah I just rolled with it when that happened because I knew what the writers were trying to do and I knew why they were setting it up like that.

Now prepare to slowly get pulled into marathon viewing mode. We are entering the Sunohara Arc.

Gazoinks

Yeah I just rolled with it when that happened because I knew what the writers were trying to do and I knew why they were setting it up like that.

Now prepare to slowly get pulled into marathon viewing mode. We are entering the Sunohara Arc.

Oh, this is the Shinpachi Sunohara arc? Excellent, the guy could use one.

CorvoSol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gintama 225
So in the second season of prison break, they've already broken out of prison, but the name works once you realize that society is a prison

Clannad After Story 7

And here we are already on the
third
arc for the second season. Love how quickly this series moves through the "side stories" so it can get to the real meat and potatoes. Still very entertaining
with gangs calling their members "bros" (LOL) and Sunohara being an idiot as usual with Tomoya using that to his advantage to pull him into his prank.

Now I remember why I love this show so much. Forgot how intentionally/unintentionally funny this show gets. Still absolutely beautiful on Blu-Ray.

Shin Mazinger Z - 4-5

Watching two episodes instead of one today because I couldn't just finish after 4.

Hot damn did this show crank it up a couple notches! I liked how
Kabuto hesitated fighting when he saw the blood caused from his fighting. It's nice to see something like this after watching many other shows where buildings and crap gets destroyed and yet we see nobody hurt in the process, so it's nice to see a main character aware of this.

BUT that doesn't stop him from letting everything loose after Grandpa Dr. Wily dies. I mean good lord, what a rampage! It was like Mazinger Z was Godzilla and Ashura and his/her minions was the military. Seriously, dat BREASTO FIYA!

EDIT: Also, HELL YESS. Corvo watching Kino finally confirmed!

Hattori

Banned
Rozen Maiden 1
First of... I absolutely have no idea what is going on. This is episode was going at a breakneck speed just throwing characters and terminologies at me. It was exhausting trying to follow and understand what they are trying to get at. Having said that, It was very nicely animated and had beautifully drawn pastel(?) backgrounds. I feel like I don't have enough to fully discuss the characters at this point, but I will say Suiginto is a jerk, Hina-Ichigo is a bit annoying and Kanaria is alright with me.

zeroshiki

It's been high on my backlog since it finished, but I have no idea when I would have been able to convince myself to actually start it (kind of like those Patlabor DVDs...). This means I've got a reason to begin. And I'd like to believe that Mouryou no Hako is good enough that someone won't feel cheated after they watch it.

Oh, I didn't mean that you were cheating Branduil just that the vibe I got from you was that you were gonna watch it eventually thus rendering the watchbet moot :p

Rozen Maiden is a really good show and its the show from 2013 that I would recommend that someone watch the most.

Branduil

Rozen Maiden 1
First of... I absolutely have no idea what is going on. This is episode was going at a breakneck speed just throwing characters and terminologies at me. It was exhausting trying to follow and understand what they are trying to get at. Having said that, It was very nicely animated and had beautifully drawn pastel(?) backgrounds. I feel like I don't have enough to fully discuss the characters at this point, but I will say Suiginto is a jerk, Hina-Ichigo is a bit annoying and Kanaria is alright with me.

First episode is an attempt to recap the entire first manga series. It gets a lot better/different in the second episode.

Black Rock Shooter 03

… Yeah no. Kagari wasn't possessed or anything. Why are you forgiving her for the years upon years of abuse Yomi? Why? GAAAAH.

You know, can we go back to the symbolic yet confusing fight scenes in nightmare fuel funland? Those are at least pretty to look at most of the time.

6rImWHm.jpg

… I don't like that deadness in your eyes Yomi. Please, please tell me you aren't going to do something stupid like be as possessive as Kagari was with you.

See, because I have to assume the worst with this show, I'm interpreting that smile as a very bad thing.

Goddamit.

… Posting a love letter on a bulletin board is just... it's such a dick move. But I'll give Kohachi points. She kept it together at least in front of everyone.

And... wow that counselor. I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH HER.

And again I must ask: WTF was that ending?

Quasar

D-Frag 5 - gave this another try after dropping it after 2. I kind of enjoyed this episode. Actual games being somewhat related to the show. Is shouting full volume the only thing Kenji knows how to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom