• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
FurryPercentage-s311x393-59180.jpg

lol

Urusei Yatsura - 45

That long english intro.
This is not a class-reunion!

The furthest I can go is this:

ff14_miqote.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Possibly, but that seems like too simple an answer. The cataclysmic disaster that was OVA3 required a lot more things to go completely wrong than merely the absence of one guy.

Also for posterity's sake, to put it into perspective, take my long-standing vendetta against K-On, combine it with Branduil's long-standing crusade against Angel Beats, multiply the result by a factor of 5, and that'll come close to representing how disappointed I was in OVA3. My posts about it date back to at least 2009, I just checked!
Well, the thing was, OVA2 was pretty good as well without him even if it took a much darker tone overall. One of the key problems in OVA3 was the sheer amount of time wasted tying things to GXP, and I think beyond that they simply forgot what they were doing. Maybe they felt they had to introduce a new harem member for the new audience, but everything was fine as it was.

Like, they literally waited until the LAST episode to even begin answering the questions left by OVA2. It was so fucking rushed at that point.

Chobits was good at what it did. It wasn't particularly ambitious, but that was clear from the outset. I was a young teenager when I watched it, but I remember enjoying the characters and jokes more than your average pander show. Compare is to DearS, which is an example of the same thing done badly; it had the benefit of coming later as well.

That said, I don't intend to re-watch either to refresh my memories of them.

Thoraxes

My anime pick-ups for this month of february !

I'm very happy right now

I'm about to do a SHAFT OVERDOSE

Where do you buy the volumes separately?

I was just gonna snag the LE for Nise an Bake in June.
I'd say Love Hina would be my pick, but it was rather recent for me.

It was pretty bad.

Love Hina was my first romcom, so i'll always hold it so highly in my heart.

And Shinobu~
The furthest I can go is this:

ff14_miqote.jpg
Yep.

tTZTIxh.png

cajunator

Banned
Chobits was good at what it did. It wasn't particularly ambitious, but that was clear from the outset. I was a young teenager when I watched it, but I remember enjoying the characters and jokes more than your average pander show. Compare is to DearS, which is an example of the same thing done badly; it had the benefit of coming later as well.

That said, I don't intend to re-watch either to refresh my memories of them.

Agreed. It basicall took ideas from stuff like a.i. love you but made a series run of it. Chi was super cute and the show was very popular at the time and in some places it still is. I even have a talking sumomo figure doll thing. Chobits was very pleasant to watch.

jman2050

Like, they literally waited until the LAST episode to even begin answering the questions left by OVA2. It was so fucking rushed at that point.

And then ended it in the most bullshitty way possible. They did have that one episode later that I think was supposed to be the "real" ending but I think I saw it exactly once and don't even remember anything notable from it.

Love Hina was my first romcom, so i'll always hold it so highly in my heart.

And Shinobu~

Pfft, Love Hina is just a cheap Tenchi knockoff anyway.

I remember nothing about Love Hina, what little I saw of it anyway.

cajunator

Banned
I realllllly didnt like Love Hina much but shows of that age like Chobits really were a product of that time period when romcoms and harems werent fully played out. They were still a somewhat intriguing idea and back then people appreciated them more than they seem to now.

Thoraxes

Will give it some props. It gave the losers a bone....

How things went down with Naru........ really soured everything.

I was okay with Naru being a bitch because there were better girls on there. But she was voice by Yui Horie, so I still liked listening to her and stuff.

We all know the real best OTP contenders were Matoko (also elder-god tier with Shinobu) and Mutsumi.

The manga end just made me sad.
And then ended it in the most bullshitty way possible. They did have that one episode later that I think was supposed to be the "real" ending but I think I saw it exactly once and don't even remember anything notable from it.

I remember nothing about Love Hina, what little I saw of it anyway.
I feel like if I watched it for the first time now, i'd think it to be more forgettable, but since it was one of my earlier exposures, it's one of my most memorable. It was the first subbed shows I watched, too (outside of Sailor Moon).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know, that they got the OP right made it all the more cruel. Gave that "oh shit, this is BACK" feeling at the start. :(

Tenchi turned the Urusei Yatsura cast into an actual harem.
Love Hina took Tenchi and the other Takahashi magnum opus and created the first haremshit in its modern form.

Speaking of stupid harems, what happened to Familiar to Zero? First season was decent, and just started watching the second season and from the get go its suddenly turned into one of those worthless harems. Why is Siesta all of a sudden so clingy? Why is Tabitha suddenly into Saito? Oh and of course the elf girl is probably in to him as well -___-? Seriously did I miss something?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Speaking of stupid harems, what happened to Familiar to Zero? First season was decent, and just started watching the second season and from the get go its suddenly turned into one of those worthless harems. Why is Siesta all of a sudden so clingy? Why is Tabitha suddenly into Saito? Oh and of course the elf girl is probably in to him as well -___-? Seriously did I miss something?
Haremshit girls are starved for any semblance of affection and haremshit protags are the only ones to give it to them.

Thoraxes

Love Hina took Tenchi and the other Takahashi magnum opus and created the first haremshit in its modern form.

Maybe we've discovered the reason why I still like haremshits. I can't really explain why I need to watch them, but I always feel compelled to make room to watch one every season no matter what. It's my junk food.

Saito's baking some of Rick's Bread if you catch my drift.

Also, ZnT was always a harem. There's plenty of poor explanations in the show for why it happens (I realized my heart beats faster when he's around, he's so powerful, he protects me against discrimination, etc.). The queen stuff was the only stuff that kinda made sense outside of Louise.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Maybe we've discovered the reason why I still like haremshits. I can't really explain why I need to watch them, but I always feel compelled to make room to watch one every season no matter what. It's my junk food.
Haha, fair enough. I certainly know what it's like to crave for junk food anime.

Gazoinks

I feel like if I watched it for the first time now, i'd think it to be more forgettable, but since it was one of my earlier exposures, it's one of my most memorable. It was the first subbed shows I watched, too (outside of Sailor Moon).

Haha, I have a vague affection for Love Hina for the exact same reason. :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, I have a vague affection for Love Hina for the exact same reason. :p
Love Hina was THE show of its time, because it was the first one to be subbed and released as it was airing in Japan! Got a lot of attention and adoration as a result.

Of course, much of that was pure novelty.

smh I realised I skipped to the final season lol. Can't wait for all the great characterisation in the upcoming episodes to provide meaningful reasons in how those girls suddenly fell in love with Saito.

jman2050

The women are disposable commodities that we are meant to ogle at as they say and do things that appeal to whatever voyeuristic, if not fetishistic, preferences we may have. Having a number of different girls is a must as it allows the maker to cast a wider net, so to speak. It also has the (un)fortunate side effect of improving the appeal of their characters by drawing upon the audience's need for validation and competition, spurring waifu wars, snide derision, tendency to root for the underdog, and other such similar phenomenon. It's almost like rooting for a sports team.

I don't know whether engaging in that type of thing is something worthy of shame, but as for me, considering I'm currently single and suffer from borderline-crippling social deficiencies due to continuing issues with my mental health, I say "bring it on" and then some.

cnet128

Banned
last 6 episodes have been plot heavy ...tokyo ravens should have been like that from the start ...

Much as I actually enjoyed the plot developments in this latest episode (
not counting Natsume's death ;_;
) this post is so wrong it's not even funny. Tokyo Ravens is at its best when it's ignoring all the actual plot drama and just focusing on the characters and romance aspects, and at its bestest on those rare occasions when it decides to go full-on comedy antics, preferably with plenty of Kon.

As a reminder. Makoto Shinkai's Crossroad short is now available!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfbNS_GKhPw#t=16

fucking gorgeous.

That is the most gloriously dramatic opening of an exam paper I have ever seen.

Love Hina's great and always will be!

As a reminder. Makoto Shinkai's Crossroad short is now available!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfbNS_GKhPw#t=16

fucking gorgeous.

Absolutely incredible visuals, as usual from Shinkai. His writing is mixed quality, but the visuals are always some of the best ever in anime... does anything else match him, other than, like, Ghibli?

You know, that they got the OP right made it all the more cruel. Gave that "oh shit, this is BACK" feeling at the start. :(

Love Hina wasn't the first, just one of the earlier ones. To Heart predates it, for example, that might be the first true modern harem anime, if we don't count things like Tenchi Muyo, El-Hazard or others which really are harem shows and should count as such.

To Heart is also more of a "standard" harem show than Love Hina in that it's a visual novel adaptation and is focused on relationships and school life and stuff, while Love Hina has big comedy elements and some action too and isn't set in a school.

I was okay with Naru being a bitch because there were better girls on there. But she was voice by Yui Horie, so I still liked listening to her and stuff.

We all know the real best OTP contenders were Matoko (also elder-god tier with Shinobu) and Mutsumi.

The manga end just made me sad.

There's being a bitch, and taking things too far to the point of someone nearly dying. The latter is considerably worse.

kiryogi

Banned
) this post is so wrong it's not even funny. Tokyo Ravens is at its best when it's ignoring all the actual plot drama and just focusing on the characters and romance aspects, and at its bestest on those rare occasions when it decides to go full-on comedy antics, preferably with plenty of Kon.

That is the most gloriously dramatic opening of an exam paper I have ever seen.

Lol it's meant to be a commercial for cram schools XD

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Happiness Science Precure 2-4

After episode 1 I felt that the main unresolved question was how the show was going to handle formula. After all, when you have formula you need some way to mix it up or you end up doing the same thing over and over. Heartcatch Precure suffered quite a bit with its strict adherence to this specific formula:

The Freudcatch Formula:

1. Person feels constrained by their ego/superego
2. Bad guy shows up, extracts heart flower
3. Monster made from extracted heart, goes on rampage
4. Monster discovered, Precures transform
5. Small exchange of attacks
6. Monster then starts yelling out as the expression of the victim's id
7. Bad guy mocks the victim's problems
8. Precure (usually Blossom) rebuts mocking, shouts "I've had enough"
9. Finishing attack
10. Heart returned to victim's body
11. Mascot shits out a coin
12. Shot of coin going into container
13. NOW THE HEART TREE WILL GET BETTER
And at first Act 1 was strictly for setting up Act 2. It confined the show to the victim of the week, and the plot of the episode wasn't allowed to branch off into sideplots. Only as the show went on did it gradually relax, starting with the ability for Act 1 to simply take place chronologically before Act 2 so more things were possible. In the latter end of the show you even saw plot norms and the rigidly defined formula messed with! Basically, in spite of the clear highlights of Heartcatch it was also a learning process with the results coming too late to really help the majority of the show.

Now the same director is four episodes into Happiness Charge Precure, and if these episodes are any indication, those lessons have been carried over. The ONLY rigidly adhered to aspect is the fetchquest scene of "massage mah muzzle!" The basic outline points of producing a monster of the week and fitting in stock footage are there, but everything already seems up for grabs. Hell, there's already meta-humor about the process. Other points of flexibility can be observed, like the various antics between the characters and creative fight moments like Cure Lovely coming in out of nowhere using Kindabads as bludgeons. And that ironclad rule they set down? The show was practically winking at the audience. Rules are made to be broken!

Overall, this is the strongest beginning to any Precure show I've seen, and those include Futari, Max Heart, Splash star, Fresh, Heartcatch, Smile, and Dokidoki(aka New Game Plus Precure).

I mean I already guessed that
he was unnaturally young
, but I didn't see
him being Takuto's father
coming AT. ALL. That whole episode man. That was actually a really good episode, I felt. Honestly I don't get the hate for Star Driver at all yet. I mean, sure, it's dumb, but it knows it is, and it runs with it. You really think a show where the main character is always going "IT'S A PIIIIIIIINCH" is taking itself seriously? And I mean, yeah, kissing through the glass is weird, and Wako's love triangle of unnecessary love triangleness is kinda wonky and the fights are too short, but hey, considering the mountains of shit I've seen in this genre, I really don't think Star Driver lives up to the hate it gets.
kissing through the glass is not that weird.it make you use your imagination and that always help when you're aroused.

Well i mean . euh ..well nervermind.
Wako love triangle is the only thing i would remove from star driver.

I would've been fine if they just made the damn male MC a female! Teasing me with his mom having a pure romance back in the day only to give up and marry a man is just kicking me when I'm down. :(
Well it's not like i don't understand your feeligns but i think there are good things in this anime regardless.( except the CG .. )

Cold blooded. I need to re-watch some Sakura Trick episodes to lift my spirits.
This is our endless supply of power !

Waaaat. Should've been a Haruka/Chihaya duet goddammit!
But you know that they will do one at some point ... they are trying all possible combinaisons so it's coming ..one day ..

I want my own sensei :''''(

vOlpQ9T.gif
I want one too .
I had "sensei" keychain that i used for my car but it broke 2 days ago... i'm very unhappy since then.
Where do you buy the volumes separately?

I was just gonna snag the LE for Nise an Bake in June.
I'm in region B so i bought all of this off amazon ( uk )

We could have a serious plot and delicious KON at the same time

Quasar

I wouldn't agree. I like both aspects. Ashame they struggle to balance it, its either all one way or the other.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ChiHYA AKA Gonzales AKA the best Puchi. I wouldn't betray my Makoto goddess for anyone.

None of the Puchis are called Gonzales and never will be no matter how much Chihaya shouts out the name. She needs to learn to take a leaf out of Haruka's and Takane's book when it comes to forcing ones choice of name on those critters. Well if they ever show a Puchi for the other 2million Cinderella Girl iM@Ss she can have another go.

Actually I believe she did manage to name one of them and it was the one time she didn't spout it out.

Legend of the Overfiend did that for me.
But that's the UK's favourite anime!

Remember though, this is the Puchimas universe. I don't remember that pairing really being a thing there, though I could be wrong. Yayoi/Iori sure is in both universes, though, and at least they got that right.
Takane x All the Puchis OTP

AnimeGAF needs its own crypto-currency and we need a reward system for watching anime.

Here have some Akari~ns:

Love Hina was THE show of its time, because it was the first one to be subbed and released as it was airing in Japan! Got a lot of attention and adoration as a result.

But kudos to Love Hina for including a scene where the main characters make out. As it's something normal *gasp*
LH's main problem was the last two volumes, the story should have ended with two volumes less.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Honestly, I think it was more a matter of Love Hina being at the right place and right time. Getting released around the high point of the Anime boom and being the first harem series for a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom