• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned

This is not a positive point if you're not talking about Naoki Sato. And that sure ain't Naoki Sato.

Ok I dont have the time or desire to watch Fairy Tail but Juvia and Levy are SERIOUSLY CUTE.
Maybe I just have a thing for blue hair.
but DAMN.

Yeah, cute girls and fanservice are the real reason for reading/watching Fairy Tail. I'm pretty sure the author understands this XD

Mikakunin ep.8

I am sorry, but Benio's existence is really starting to drag the show down from something that would be outstanding to something that's just really good instead.

Yep, Benio is the worst part of the show. Longer scenes with her are a real struggle to watch, especially that one in this episode in the student council room. The humor with her doesn't really work anymore, and dragging those attempts at humor out really bring down the show.

Benio was one of the things that made me drop the show back then. Haven't looked back since.

Benio is getting a bit stale

Y'all be crazy, Benio is consistently entertaining and she gives the show a lot of its wonderful manic energy.

So does anyone else have a case where you really disliked a character but powered through and enjoyed the series despite them?

I guess the most obvious example in recent memory is Gingitsune (SATORUUUUUU). Come to think of it, with all the parallels between the two shows, I guess I might as well just consider Touka the Satoru of InaKon. For all that I keep complaining about Touka, he's still significantly better than that guy ever was.

The only other examples that come to mind are harem/romcom shows where worst girl steals all the spotlight that other girls deserve - Ichika in NatsuMachi, Masuzu in OreShura and so on. I wouldn't say I hate those characters, but I certainly resent them to some extent.

Looks more like Pixiv fanart than something like a key visual.

It's depressing how accurate this is. If anything, that's an insult to Pixiv artists, since a large proportion of them are way better than this.

Quasar

I guess the most obvious example in recent memory is Gingitsune (SATORUUUUUU). Come to think of it, with all the parallels between the two shows, I guess I might as well just consider Touka the Satoru of InaKon. For all that I keep complaining about Touka, he's still significantly better than that guy ever was.

The only other examples that come to mind are harem/romcom shows where worst girl steals all the spotlight that other girls deserve - Ichika in NatsuMachi, Masuzu in OreShura and so on. I wouldn't say I hate those characters, but I certainly resent them to some extent.

I have trouble thinking of examples. I imagine it happens lots with side characters but I imagine I continued on because I like the mains more. When it happens with mains I think I drop the show. Certainly my hate for Eren is part of why I dropped AoT after a few episodes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
SAO?
See above.

Who mentioned SAO? I searched that page and the previous and no mention of SAO or Sword Art Online so unless people have suddenly started using its German title without my knowing no one was talking about that show.

I was obviously referring to School Days and 90% of the cast is stupid and I honestly hate stupid characters. It's not a hard concept. Also I actually like the plot and it sets out to what it strives to do well. Still I can easily hate the characters, especially the MC, despite this.

Mikakunin 8

Benio should just stop. For the sake of this show. It seems Kobeni has competition for Hakuya. It would make more sense if he went with konoha considering they are the same species but like a dog I predict he will be loyal to his master.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wonder Momo Episode 4:

If this series does not end in Momo and Amazonia kissing, I will be disappointed, seriously, we got into Foe Yay territory here.

I admit I still don't really know anything about the Mahouka characters, so this new key visual of what is apparently the student council just looks silly to me, especially the girl with orange hair.

Also they technically "announced" three more characters, but they were among the ones that were revealed back on the 8th in other sources so it's really nothing.

Tatsuyas shadow! When will we get a pv 3?

Hamatora 08

That was a fun episode.

Not so surprised that we didn't get much fallout from what happened at the end of last episode but I guess it'll be some time before everyone discovers it.

The whole bitter melon fight was pretty fun to watch though. Why bitter melon?

I thought that is one of the things Okinawa IRL is known for.

BluWacky

I know very little about Mahouka other than a general plot summary, does it have not-incest?

I quote from a fan wiki entry on the female lead, Miyuki Shiba, brother of the male lead Tatsuya:

AAAAAAAARGH JAPAN said:
However, she has been constantly shown to harbour forbidden feelings for Tatsuya, even lamenting once the fact that she was born as his little sister, clearly indicating that she wishes to have a romantic relationship with him.

The thought of marrying another boy repulsed and disgust Miyuki. It wasn’t a biological issue, so something like dancing was still acceptable. However, in Miyuki’s heart, the only who was allowed to touch her was Tatsuya. The only one who could do as he wished with her was Tatsuya alone. Her love for her brother was to such extent that she would be willing to offer her heart and body to Tatsuya willingly. For her, "No matter if it was her body or heart, everything that she was belonged to Onii-sama."

Speaking of which, someone in the OT spotted that Crunchyroll already has a preemptive notice that episode 20 will potentially be late by "12-24 hours".

How unreliable can this thing get?

How many times is this going to happen? There's only three episodes after this you kno-

Oh lord...There's only three more episodes after this one :(.

Not counting the unreleased special that's apparently coming out[ on the BD

This is not a positive point if you're not talking about Naoki Sato. And that sure ain't Naoki Sato.

It's Yasuharu Takanashi. He did the OST for Fresh, Smile, Suite, and Heartcatch, as well as Log Horizon. He is a master of the celtic rock in Fairy Tail and his OST almost steals the entire show.

Yeah, cute girls and fanservice are the real reason for reading/watching Fairy Tail. I'm pretty sure the author understands this XD

Given some of the latest chapters of the manga, it's hard not to agree with this lol.

I'd say it's more like...Madoka Rebellion =
Votoms Shining Heresy with Magical Girls

Madoka Rebellion Spoilers

I will forever call
the new Homura "Homulouch" and nothing else. I'll imagine that the next movie or season will involve her doing a lot of evil scheming while laughing like a maniac.

Well it certainly feels like she would do that now.

Clannad After Story 11

Workin' in the real world! Good thing Tomoya has a girlfriend who is unconditionally approving of everything he does! It's definitely cool seeing Tomoya adjust to post-high school life. Very different dynamic, and good development for him,

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY Akio remains best. Lightsaber fights!

Aw yes, one more episode until one of my favourite moments in this show.

I admit I still don't really know anything about the Mahouka characters, so this new key visual of what is apparently the student council just looks silly to me, especially the girl with orange hair.

Also they technically "announced" three more characters, but they were among the ones that were revealed back on the 8th in other sources so it's really nothing.

0b4mFeI.png

Mayumi is love.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 71

After so long spent at Dream Academy, having an episode focus on Aoi is a nice change of pace. Her friendship with Ichigo being revisited is one of the show's original strengths. The central question of the episode - for Aoi to figure out how to be like the water - did arrive at a solid conclusion ("Water can do anything"), if a bit silly. The retro-sci-fi feel of Aoi's outfits has always been one of my favorites, and not even the loudness of the Aquarius getup can bring that down.

Looks like this cour is going to wrapup with a multi-parter bringing all the schools together.

Also, Aikatsu is getting a movie. Looks like the show's got enough popularity to stick around for some time.

As somebody who has read some of Mahouka, I don't think many of you are ready on the levels of Gary Stu the whole show will be.

Like everybody from the main cast is dick riding the protagonist. None more than the little sister who wants to jump in his pants at any moment. The guy's flaws are ridiculously hilarious and look like gary stu 101 "Write a meh flaw so your stu isnt perfect". It's like playing d&d and somebody choosing "womanizer" as their character's flaw.

Protag is like unbeatable, the smartest guy in the universe, and a total badass in military-like shit. Even the country wants him to do it. You'll forget about Kirito-kun soon enough Japan, when Mahouka comes.

The thing is I'm really enjoying it because the writing is so cheesy on everything that revolves around protagonist. The way characters are introduced (exposition: the character) and the writing in general looks like amateur work, but the self-inserting fantasy and incesty/harem vibes of Mahouka have probably hit the guilty pleasure of most fans which is why it's probably popular. I love how cheesy it is, gary stus all the way

CorvoSol

I'd advise you to stop and end the pain if I didn't know there was something inside you that enjoyed the pain.

Pain tells us we're alive.

So does anyone else have a case where you really disliked a character but powered through and enjoyed the series despite them?

Gundam SEED Destiny. Crazy, I know, because the plot itself sucked, but whatcha gonna do. Also Eureka Seven. I LOATHE Eureka's kids, but love the rest.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkan! - Episode 1

So I was wrong at the end of the last series. They're still not witches, despite being given the OK by the entirity of the Elder Witches, it's still not enough.

Anyway Hana, tired of being 3 years old, uses magic to become roughly 10 years older and in the process loses her magical spheres meaning she's no longer a witch. It's up to Doremi and the rest to make Hana a witch again and then they too will become witches.

12/13 year old Hana is cute as a button and is basically has a hyperactive version of all the personalities of her mothers (mostly Doremi's except replace steak with pudding). I also like how she says a spell even though she doesn't need to because if you don't say your spell it's too boring.

The greatest casualty of the series so far is that Doremi's transformation sequence now lacks her doing the chicken dance (It's a crime to have removed that). The new transformation sequence seems to be the same for everyone apart from Pop (who still uses her one from the first series) and Hana's which is completely different. I don't really like it too much especially compared to Motto's ones. In fact I'd say the only good one would be Hana's one, mostly because it's different to everyone else's.

Anyway, great start to the series!

Midonin

Engaged to the Unidentified 08

It's misunderstandings piled on top of more misunderstandings. Unfortunately, what happened at the end doesn't seem to be a misunderstanding at all. Kobeni continues to let the season of chubbiness go strong. Also liked the gag about the rooftop having unsuitable conditions for a showdown. Not even the snowman looked like he wanted to be up there.

Engaged to the Unidentified 08

It's misunderstandings piled on top of more misunderstandings. Unfortunately, what happened at the end doesn't seem to be a misunderstanding at all. Kobeni continues to let the season of chubbiness go strong. Also liked the gag about the rooftop having unsuitable conditions for a showdown. Not even the snowman looked like he wanted to be up there.

I wouldn't call her chubby. She just has a body type that is a bit more realistic for somebody who would have assets as big as hers. Curvy would be a better way of describing it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
She is fine too.

But I love me some tsunderes, especially Matoko.

Fair enough!

I can't wait for Keiko to teach her what it feel like to be a woman. Or rather both of them being awkward. Hmmm don't know what would work better.

Both sound equally appealing, either one needs to happen.

Y'all be crazy, Benio is consistently entertaining and she gives the show a lot of its wonderful manic energy.

Nakama!

Those poor fans. They'll think that with more episodes there's probably a chance a clear frontrunner will be chosen.

They said the same thing about [insert every other harem]

madp

The Light of El Cantare

dOE5A6P.jpg

I powered through all of Ranma 1/2 in like a week back in college but that didn't make Happousai not the most annoying character in the history of the medium.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
dOE5A6P.jpg

I powered through all of Ranma 1/2 in like a week back in college but that didn't make Happousai not the most annoying character in the history of the medium.

yes ;____;

I still like Ranma 1/2 but Happosei kills my enjoyment every few episodes and i have to take a break for a while before i can resume

Articalys

Oh man, I just remembered that there's the anime original character for Nisekoi who's going to show up eventually. Wonder how large an effect that's going to have on where they go with the show and which chapters get adapted...

Articalys

Sales list for Feb. 17-23 updated with the extended data, down to the 382 BD threshold:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=907

Mostly just v2+ for a lot of previous season shows, but also Millennium Actress BD sells 1,243.

And two more finishing series:

- Fantasista Doll with an 830 average across 6 volumes.
- Dog & Scissors with a 390 average across 6 volumes. Congratulations Gonzo.

jbug617

Banned
Mikakunin De Shinkoukei 8

So we all agree that the newspaper girl is going to expose everything. Also that ending came out of nowhere.

Poor Benio having to suffer the entire episode.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Apparently, the Yuri Kuma Arashi manga is about to release, and an image has surfaced:

bKiB2JG.jpg

This is probably not the same art style that Ikuhara will use in the anime, but this is at least some small indication of what the hell this is even going to be.

I doubt that will happen. Nothing is going to upset the status quo.

Well I wouldn't mind seeing
Hakuya and co. transforming into their respective creatures

At this point I just feel like they made it into a big deal but are too lazy to come up with designs for them so instead they just turned into GRRM

CN2OFyV.png

Oh it's happening! The character design reveals are on the way

cajunator

Banned
For me, at least, it's a testament to how really damn good the rest of the show is that I'm still enjoying it each week even with her in the way.

I like Benio :(
But Mashiro is the real driving force really. The show could be just about her and would be perfect.

I have to say this art style is appealing yet kind of strange.

Those poor fans. They'll think that with more episodes there's probably a chance a clear frontrunner will be chosen.

They said the same thing about [insert every other harem]

When a harem chooses a winner it loses its soul.

Apparently, the Yuri Kuma Arashi manga is about to release, and an image has surfaced:

bKiB2JG.jpg

This is probably not the same art style that Ikuhara will use in the anime, but this is at least some small indication of what the hell this is even going to be.

I like what Im seeing!

cnet128

Banned
Oh man, I just remembered that there's the anime original character for Nisekoi who's going to show up eventually. Wonder how large an effect that's going to have on where they go with the show and which chapters get adapted...

If you mean the Kiki Mimiko character who was introduced in the original anime seiyuu announcement, I don't think she's intended to appear in the anime itself, she was introduced as just a promotional vehicle "presenting" the info column about the anime in Jump.

bKiB2JG.jpg

it's happeniiiiiiing

BluWacky

Oooh, cheers for the heads-up madp!

Yuri, the magical girl on the right, says something like "I'm Yuri, the one who changes Telos!". Telos or τελος is an Ancient Greek word meaning "end" but can mean "fate" or "destiny". With the verb henkaku in there (the same kaku as in kakumei) that one line of dialogue pretty much sums up Ikuni's work :p

The girl on the right just says "Yurishiro-san?!?!?!". The yurishiro kanji read as "castle of lilies" but I guess there's probably a play on shiro also meaning white?

(yes I like overanalysing Ikuni works shut up)

Articalys

If you mean the Kiki Mimiko character who was introduced in the original anime seiyuu announcement, I don't think she's intended to appear in the anime itself, she was introduced as just a promotional vehicle "presenting" the info column about the anime in Jump.
That's... stupid.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Yuri, the magical girl on the right, says something like "I'm Yuri, the one who changes Telos!". Telos or τελος is an Ancient Greek word meaning "end" but can mean "fate" or "destiny". With the verb henkaku in there (the same kaku as in kakumei) that one line of dialogue pretty much sums up Ikuni's work :p

The girl on the right just says "Yurishiro-san?!?!?!". The yurishiro kanji read as "castle of lilies" but I guess there's probably a play on shiro also meaning white?

Sounds pretty :ikuhara

Midonin

Nagi no Asukara 21

Manaka's first episode back on the shore. She's as Manaka as ever. Not much on the relationship front, but the show's atmosphere continues to be a pleasant way to start the day. It's also got the return of a character who we haven't seen for a while.
The yelping fish is on Tsumugu now.
. Next week sounds very relationship heavy, from the preview dialogue.

BluWacky

Thanks Arti! Looking exactly like I expected it would.

In other noitaminA news:

- new (?) key visual for Nanana's Buried Treasure:

21848117-s.jpg

- in one of those OMG I AM OLD moments, noitaminA is having a party to celebrate its upcoming 10th anniversary as a time slot! I remember watching that first episode of Honey and Clover back in 2005... Anyway, at the event on the 21st March they'll be having a live ranking of all the noitaminA shows to date, a talk event with the VAs for the leads in Ping Pong, and an announcement both of one of the shows airing in July and also of a "completely new film" that will be released in 2015. I assume this must be something based on a noitaminA property - a Psycho Pass film, perhaps?

Nafe

I can understand not having watched any Jojo's but I'm stunned that Corvo seems to not know literally anything about it. Just from general anime culture osmosis I would think at least everybody knew something about it.

I was going to respond to this general conversation earlier but got distracted. This post might also bring up some "get out" from wonzo type reactions,haha.

I considered myself to be a fan of anime for years and I had heard about JoJo years ago but honestly have never seen any of it or know anything about it other then it looks like it has a bunch of muscular guys. It was mentioned that there were references in other anime but not having seen the show I would have either missed them completely or I would have just noted that they were from the show and not know the context at all. I've seen quite a bit of DragonBall but if I hadn't, then all I would have gathered from references I've seen was that the show is about spiky haired guys who like to yell a lot and can shoot laser beams out of their hands.

It's not just JoJo but there's a lot of popular shows I haven't seen. I'm aware of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Shamploo but I haven't seen either of them and didn't even know Bepob was about space or the future until reading AnimeGaf. They didn't air on TV for me so I didn't grow up with them like a lot of people here.

There's older works like Gunbuster that I might have heard of before but perhaps not until recently. It seems like with many people here you're assumed to have already seen it. Other works as well like the Akira movie. I realized there was a lot of older stuff I hadn't seen but if I had heard or saw some pictures of these when I was younger it was probably more of a "oh, there's one of those mecha shows" type reaction.

Before reading AnimeGaf threads I don't know if I ever heard of Mr. Satoshi Kon. People seem to assume here that one has already seen Tokyo Grandfathers and the like but the only movie he was involved with I've seen is Magnetic Rose from he short film collection Memories.

I found out about Summer Wars by seeing commercials for it on television. While it's quite possible I would have found out about Mamoru Hosada's other films quickly enough after, it was actually reading AnimeGaf that I can recall finding out about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and most definitely Wolf Children.

It was by reading AnimeGaf that I even knew works like Attack on Titan or Kill la Kill were coming out. Before coming to the thread I found out about shows like Madoka through their word of mouth. I remember looking it up and thinking "Why is this PreCure looking show so popular with everyone?". I missed all the internet meltdown over things like Code Geass because I didn't even hear about the show until at least a year if not two after it had finished airing. The same goes for other popular works such as Gurren Lagann.

When I first started reading the AnimeGaf threads in Winter 2011 I was pausing quite often to write down and look up all the shows people mentioned. Even in just a simple passing it was often a show I'd never heard of. That's part of why I like the threads. They tell me about shows I would probably never hear of otherwise. That and just the general information to see about what shows are coming up and such. It seems like it's assumed that if you post here one is familiar with a bunch of the different blogs or sites but honestly I think Anime News Network was the only one I was aware of so I like the thread for making me aware of those.

In the end I guess it's just one of those things where it's assumed that if you took the time to wait for membership and post on NeoGaf you're more familiar or "Hardcore" about your hobby when you can actually be pretty casual about it.

cajunator

Banned

Appreciate the insight. Magical girl cuties are where its at.
Cant get enough of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom