• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Weren't there people hating on Kill la Kill's composer before the show came out and now almost everyone thinks the OST is amazing?
EdztdLb.jpg

there are still traces of blood in my ears.

Link Man

Banned
So now that I've finished Denpa Onna, it's time for a new show.

ibzPrl0rAuqfri.jpg

Well, this is certainly a product of a different time. It's a bit refreshing, really, in its simplicity. I like that it takes the time to set the mood, rather than moving at a frantic pace like a lot of modern anime. Also, no fanservice as of yet.

The translation is a bit distracting at parts, though. But this is a show from the 70's, so I'll learn to live with it.

cnet128

Banned
We really shouldn't be handing out more :username stuffs after we damn near made the thread unreadable to newcomers last year. :dtl and :firehawk are all we really need.

But :chet is so useful. And you can't have :dtl without :sdburton to counteract it. And you can't get rid of :cajun, because it is happiness.

And at that point the thread is already completely illegible so we might as well go the whole hog =p

Weren't there people hating on Kill la Kill's composer before the show came out and now almost everyone thinks the OST is amazing?

Nah, Sawano is still pretty bad. His work on Kill la Kill isn't as bad as people feared, probably one of the better things he's done, but it's still hardly mindblowing.

Zach you are a champion
I just like lewd things.
I'm sure the same people who didn't like Sawano still don't like Sawano after KLK.
Hey, I just make up lazy shorthand for my own convenience. Other people don't have to be so quick to copy me. :(
It's also clear that you know what I like!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Although I should probably know better, since I'm the one who coined :cajun in the first place and got the ball rolling on that whole mess.

Again, don't be so quick to copy me!
Except when watching Doremi.

Midonin

Samurai Flamenco 18

Kamen Rider Fourze meets Akibaranger with a bit of Gurren Lagann flavoring to it. A fitting comparison since Gurren Lagann's writer also wrote Fourze. The metaness of it was a bit much to wrap my head around, but viewing it in Akibaranger terms, I get what's going on. There are no more enemies left to fight, and the show still has about fourish episodes left to go. Which makes me curious what they're going to do - Alien Flamenco was done with before the half hour was over.

And he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.

CorvoSol

Are you saying the bitch part of habitual is true?

Yes. But I am also lying to you when I say that. And lying when I say I'm lying.

People hating on a show they haven't seen before!? What? Surely that never happens in an upstanding community like AnimeGAF.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In reality, it's not just the composer. You also have the show's director and audio director and how they go about managing how the composer does his or her job and how the music becomes used in the show itself.

Some directors both demand good music and know how to coax it out of a composer.

CorvoSol

In reality, it's not just the composer. You also have the show's director and audio director and how they go about managing how the composer does his or her job and how the music becomes used in the show itself.

Some directors both demand good music and know how to coax it out of a composer.

This, I feel, is one of the better complaints with KLK. I really, really like most of the OST, but during that Schools Raid Trip they spammed like those 5 bars of Ryuko's theme and then cut it off ad nauseum. It just did not sound good like that.

Nonon's theme is still my favorite. Even though I can't listen to Nonon without hearing Cindy, I still like her 'cuz Marching Band was my thing in High School. It's easier to root for the club I was in than things like "Disciplinary Committee" and "Kendo Club" which American High Schools don't exactly HAVE.

JCG

The OST is great.

Like others have said, I just don't think it's necessarily been used all that consistently well.

Few things are more annoying to the ear, IMO, than a good audio track used inappropriately.

Samurai Flamenco 18
MHNrPMu.jpg

Alien Flamenco. WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU SPEAKING ENGRRRRISH.

That's it. Everybody. Back to the AOTY thread. We are taking away all votes because Alien Flamenco is the best character in the mother fucking history of anime. Even better than the Wizard in Bento/Black Lagoon. Heck, he somehow surpassed Mister Justice... well.... technically he didn't.

This show. How can something do a 180 of quality and become the AOTC. Now I can't watch any other ridiculous anime without hearing Alien Flamenco's orgasmic voice.

Come on. COME OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
SIT DOWN!
One. And only One!

CorvoSol

Samurai Flamenco 18
MHNrPMu.jpg

Alien Flamenco. WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU SPEAKING ENGRRRRISH.

That's it. Everybody. Back to the AOTY thread. We are taking away all votes because Alien Flamenco is the best character in the mother fucking history of anime. Even better than the Wizard in Bento/Black Lagoon. Heck, he somehow surpassed Mister Justice... well.... technically he didn't.

This show. How can something do a 180 of quality and become the AOTC. Now I can't watch any other ridiculous anime without hearing Alien Flamenco's orgasmic voice.

Come on. COME OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
SIT DOWN!
One. And only One!

Let's talk about how he refers to himself as Alien.

duckroll

Nah, Sawano is still pretty bad. His work on Kill la Kill isn't as bad as people feared, probably one of the better things he's done, but it's still hardly mindblowing.

The Sawano vocal tracks on this week's KLK are pretty godawful. He's really bad at anything which is supposed to be subtle or melodic honestly. With him it's all about BIG and LOUD music.

Articalys

Samurai Flamenco 18

The first rule of Samumenco continues:
whenever you think this show can't pull off an even more ridiculous twist, you are wrong. And a meta twist is the greatest of all.

Theonik

Although I should probably know better, since I'm the one who coined :cajun in the first place and got the ball rolling on that whole mess.

Again, don't be so quick to copy me!
Except when watching Doremi.
It's late to say this now you have blood in your hands!

The OST is garbage. The way it is used is even worse.

Midonin

Z/X Ignition 07

Things have finally come full circle. The New Years' battle from episode 1 is now explained, with the additional Aina twist and all the context necessary to understand what was going on there. Seiger being a bit of a perv doesn't even hold a candle to Rudolf yesterday, so, I'm a bit curious where things are going to go from here. And more importantly, if there's more Chitose.

cajunator

Banned
The exciting part about the Sailor Moon staff news is that the art direction is going to be handled by the same two-person team that handled art direction for Mononoke, Tsuritama, and Kyousougiga, so I'm pretty interested in seeing how that turns out.

Tsuritama? :O

Aniplex is a big expensive poopyface.

fix'ded

Hmm. That song is not so good.
I like Harime's theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zAMJXZnJoY

ANIME GAF hates Sawano with a passion. So much hate that even I'm getting tired of his works. Apart from Don't lose your way there really is nothing special about KLK's OST.

Apparently, the Yuri Kuma Arashi manga is about to release, and an image has surfaced:

bKiB2JG.jpg

This is probably not the same art style that Ikuhara will use in the anime, but this is at least some small indication of what the hell this is even going to be.

SMH. Why not just wear a bikini if your costume is that ridiculous?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm really bad at paying attention to OSTs within a show for the most part. Unless it's really ear wrenchingly horrid I don't really mind either way.

cnet128

Banned
This, I feel, is one of the better complaints with KLK. I really, really like most of the OST, but during that Schools Raid Trip they spammed like those 5 bars of Ryuko's theme and then cut it off ad nauseum. It just did not sound good like that.

Huh, that was actually one of my favourite parts of the series soundtrack-wise. It felt like they were spamming the theme very deliberately to highlight the humorous nature of how Ryuuko was repeatedly zooming into each scene, badassing it up for the space of a few seconds and then zooming straight out again before anyone could even figure out what the heck just happened. Almost like a bit of self-parody. Worked really well for me.

Nagi no Asu Kara 21

Damn, Manaka is even more wonderful than I remember her <3 So good to have all three best girls on the scene again. Pity it's practically impossible for all three of them to win at the love polygon game. Maybe they should just forget about the guys and fall for each other instead.

...And there's a familiar face I certainly wasn't expecting to see again XD

cajunator

Banned
I'm really bad at paying attention to OSTs within a show for the most part. Unless it's really ear wrenchingly horrid I don't really mind either way.

Agreed. Though sometimes it really stands out in a bad way.

No its a ridiculous costume. Whats the point of wearing a skirt if its so low that your flashing your underwear?

Poor girl looks like she's dead on the inside, probably after seeing what the animators have in store for her.

Its just having fun with the wardrobe. Not a big deal.

Jex

The War in the Pocket 4-6

It's amazing that, for all the terrible violence and ludicrous deaths that the Gundam Franchise has, it's War in the Pocket, not Zeta or Victory or any other, that drives home the meaninglessness and pain of war. The last three episodes of War in the Pocket are just one long, hard punch in the gut. I hate the Zeon, and even in this it's not hard to see that most of them are brutish, arrogant, racist scum unfit to govern anyone, but War in the Pocket is the only time after the end of the original MSG that I've ever felt any of them were sympathetic, and how.

YOU DESERVED BETTER, BERNIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's also worth saying that War in the Pocket does the whole "star crossed lovers" bit WAY better than The 08th MS Team

War in the Pocket does a lot of things better than other Gundam shows because the writing is actually good. I mean, across the Gundam franchise you can find plenty of great designs, great animation, even solid direction but writing is where most works in the franchise fall down. Not so with War in the Pocket.

Theonik

Yeah, it's better to forget about it!
Mind you I personally think it builds a sense of community and is one of the reasons I stick around this place!
As a barrier it's not really hard to get around by err asking. People don't tend to be dicks about it!

War in the Pocket does a lot of things better than other Gundam shows because the writing is actually good. I mean, across the Gundam franchise you can find plenty of great designs, great animation, even solid direction but writing is where most works in the franchise fall down. Not so with War in the Pocket.
Hey man, the beamsaber jacuzzi was a writing master stroke.

Jex

Shiki 4

Ah, things are finally starting to pick up. Some really interesting visuals and atmosphere this episode. Although, at times I get the feeling that this would make for a good abridged series.

Yeah about that...it's gonna take a while for that to happen. Sorry. The series has real pacing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom