• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Bakemonogatari 10

Well that ended... surprisingly darkly.
I think it's pretty interesting the way they deconstruct Arararararararararararararararararararagi's desire to help people. A smore typical approach would be like "Woo helping people is great! Let's save everyone! My heart is burning!". But here Arararagi's inability to make sacrifices almost killed Nadeko. Of course, now the other kid's cursed so who's to say whether he made the righr choice.

Still the least interesting OP though. :p

Maybe you just need to add a little seasoning.

Branduil

Yep, Benio is the worst part of the show. Longer scenes with her are a real struggle to watch, especially that one in this episode in the student council room. The humor with her doesn't really work anymore, and dragging those attempts at humor out really bring down the show.

Are you saying she's a Hotaru?

fertygo

Macross Plus protag isn't much better though, just watched the first eps and holy shit.. literally everyone in the episode thirsty for his ass.

Link Man

Banned
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl END

inJmZhLkv70pN.jpg

Yes, I realize "slice of life" means only a small sliver most of the time, but it just irks me a bit that there is no resolution here to many of the plot points. And yes, I realize that may be part of the nature or message of the series, but it still leaves me a bit unfulfilled. I grade this show as Cotton Candy: sweet but full of fluff. At least it gave us Meme-tan, who was brilliant throughout.

So does anyone else have a case where you really disliked a character but powered through and enjoyed the series despite them?

I've had shows with an extensive cast where I love/hate characters depending on the writers. Sons of Anarchy is one where I've hated one main character at one point or the other.

Anime on the other hand doesn't tend to have a huge cast so if I can't stand the protagonist I might skip their scenes/stop watching (cough cough Inari Konkon cough cough). If I hate a side character/secondary protag I'll just keep watching since they're not the focus.

You know what I want to see more of? More shows where the protagonist is a badass. I'm tired of "was an everyday highschool student until fool this isn't even my final form". I want more Fate/Zero. I need my protagonist to be a fucking badass. Fuck being relatable, I want Batman.

edit: and by I want more Fate/Zero I didn't mean FSN with Shirou. He's obviously the highschool kid.

Link Man

Banned
You know what I want to see more of? More shows where the protagonist is a badass. I'm tired of "was an everyday highschool student until fool this isn't even my final form". I want more Fate/Zero. I need my protagonist to be a fucking badass. Fuck being relatable, I want Batman.

edit: and by I want more Fate/Zero I didn't mean FSN with Shirou. He's obviously the highschool kid.

Samurai Champloo?

fertygo

So does anyone else have a case where you really disliked a character but powered through and enjoyed the series despite them?

The concept of disliking an fictional character seem dumb to me.. sure I'm gonna recognize an massive pos like Yukine, but I'm not gonna think I dislike/hate that character.. they're written character so why I should feel emotionaly for them? If I'm hating how that character act, I'll just note that as the title's fault for that plot point, etc.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The concept of disliking an fictional character seem dumb to me.. sure I'm gonna recognize an massive pos like Yukine, but I'm not gonna think I dislike/hate that character.. they're written character so why I should feel emotionaly for them? If I'm hating how that character act, I'll just note that as the title's fault for that plot point, etc.
It's the magic of human empathy that allows a person to have emotional reactions to characters that don't even exist. Some of these are highly negative!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There's a certain show mentioned above that has just been liscenced for the NA that you need to watch. Then you'll realise it is possible to hate fictional characters.

I think Futari wa Pretty Cure counts for me. I'd say Love Hina if it wasn't for the fact that I made a bit of a spectacle of it last night.

...uhhhh...

uhhhh....

Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl END

inJmZhLkv70pN.jpg

Yes, I realize "slice of life" means only a small sliver most of the time, but it just irks me a bit that there is no resolution here to many of the plot points. And yes, I realize that may be part of the nature or message of the series, but it still leaves me a bit unfulfilled. I grade this show as Cotton Candy: sweet but full of fluff. At least it gave us Meme-tan, who was brilliant throughout.

Watch the OVA if you want some kind of closure.

zeroshiki

Macross Plus protag isn't much better though, just watched the first eps and holy shit.. literally everyone in the episode thirsty for his ass.

God yes. I fucking hated Isamu Dyson and if I was watching the series now, I'd have dropped it halfway through episode 1.

There was no character arc for him. He was a prick at the start and he ended up not only a huge dick but also a hero. Wtf.

Branduil

God yes. I fucking hated Isamu Dyson and if I was watching the series now, I'd have dropped it halfway through episode 1.

There was no character arc for him. He was a prick at the start and he ended up not only a huge dick but also a hero. Wtf.

To be fair, Isamu isn't actually the main character.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monster Episode 10:

God damn has this show been refreshing watch, I had forgotten that anime can display a maturity and sophistication in its themes and storytelling to rival American prime time dramas. It is also a bit depressing that modern anime can seldom rise to the occasion.

Link Man

Banned
Shiki 4

Ah, things are finally starting to pick up. Some really interesting visuals and atmosphere this episode. Although, at times I get the feeling that this would make for a good abridged series.

You know what, now that I think about it, the last 64 episodes of Gintama (as a whole) didn't have Otsu. Maybe that's another reason why it was more enjoyable.

Quasar

InaKon 8 - Well. The Uka/Touka parts were nice, as usual.

Maken-Ki 2.07 - WTF. Worst episode I can remember.

Witchcraft Works 8 - Not bad at all.

Onee-chan ga Kita 8 - Continues to entertain. And whilst I think at times I wish this was the full length sister show and not ghost rapist, I imagine blown out to 20 minutes this probably would be shitty also.

fertygo

It's the magic of human empathy that allows a person to have emotional reactions to characters that don't even exist. Some of these are highly negative!
I'm just not a fan of advocating story maker.. they should do whatever that they want, say if they want create a d-bag character for their story, the thing that I should judge is the execution and not the idea. Its bring purpose or not, how he handled.. or anything else in execution note.

If that character ruining the plot, let just say the plot is sucked.. and the title fail to make something out from that idea.
There's a certain show mentioned above that has just been liscenced for the NA that you need to watch. Then you'll realise it is possible to hate fictional characters.
SAO?
See above.

LOL, Its funny to see the other main is obsessed to beat his ass.

Thoraxes

Don't get me started with that shit. Ugh.

What about Kitsune? :(

She is fine too.

But I love me some tsunderes, especially Matoko.
Sentai has solicited their June releases:

http://sentaifilmworks.tumblr.com/p...filmworks-official-june-2014-release-schedule

Amnesia (BD/DVD, w/dub)
Henneko (BD/DVD, sub only)
Dog & Scissors (DVD, sub only)
Leviathan ~ The Last Defense (BD/DVD, sub only)
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (BD/DVD, sub only)
Busou Shinki (DVD, sub only)
Hyakka Ryoran Samurai Bride (BD/DVD, w/dub)

Shame that they didn't think some of those were worth a dub...

edit: pre-order links updated.

In for Kaori Ishihara... err Henneko. $36 atm is cheap.

Clannad After Story 11

Workin' in the real world! Good thing Tomoya has a girlfriend who is unconditionally approving of everything he does! It's definitely cool seeing Tomoya adjust to post-high school life. Very different dynamic, and good development for him,

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY Akio remains best. Lightsaber fights!

I loved that scene and the one after it. Akio is seriously one of the funniest/coolest dads in anime.

03%2BPoor%2BSanae-san.jpg

Tomoya has some of the best character progression in anime. He's not a doormat and non-progressive like every other MC from an anime adapted from a VN.

Keep going dude! Your in the second half of After Story. Literally some of the best episodes in the entire series!!

Articalys

I admit I still don't really know anything about the Mahouka characters, so this new key visual of what is apparently the student council just looks silly to me, especially the girl with orange hair.

click for fullsize
Also they technically "announced" three more characters, but they were among the ones that were revealed back on the 8th in other sources so it's really nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom