• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairy Tale ep 1

Oh my glob it's so Japanese, I don't know if I can do this :<

More people watching Fairy Tail warms my heart :).

Guys guess what got licensed for NA.

Coming out in June.

Ohhhhh dear. Imagine if this show aired on Toonami. The reactions would be glorious

Magic Knight Reyearth 1

Damn, Master Mage Clef turned to stone already? So the three of them are already pretty much on their own except for the flying bird they're on. That's gonna be a pretty interesting angle if they go for it, having to mostly figure things out for themselves. Hikaru at least is off to a pretty good start.

Sometimes it feels like characters don't have a proper appreciation for what's going on. Then again, in a span of five minutes they were on Tokyo Tower, then on the back of a flying fish (he was cool I hope he comes back), and then are told they must become magic knights and they can't go home until they've finished their mission. That's another thing; they're in unfamiliar territory instead of on home turf. I'm not a mahou shoujo guru like Hito or apprentice like Kirby, but this isn't something I've seen that often. At least not from the very beginning and for the entire duration of their mission.

I remember dropping this show after the first episode (and writing a really long hate-rant on it) because I could not follow what was going on at all. I felt like watching the first episode was like watching Madoka episodes 1-3 condensed into a short 20 minutes.

This caused quite a bit of anger amongst this community as apparently it's really loved around here. I dunno, I guess the way the show was presented just wasn't for me and I was in a bad mood at the time. The fact that I watched the dub certainly didn't help matters(
This is assuming subbed is any different
)

Maybe I'll give this show another chance someday, now that my horizon's have been broadened since then, but I don't know. Maybe your later impressions of the show will change my mind.

Kino's Journey 6

After meeting Takano Miyo on the road to Hinamizawa, Kino went to Rome.

pPOYjy0.gif

LOL. Perfect.

I used to watch Fairy Tail.

Then I realized I had better things to do than watch a show where the arcs are

MUWAHHAHAHAHA. YOU MAY HAVE DEFEATED THEM NATSU AND COMPANY. BUT WE ARE A SECRET ORGANIZATION WHO IS EVEN STRONGER. MY ULTIMATE FORM

and reading the manga didnt help as that just brought me further into this. It wasn't bad, just fairly standard shonen action.

Also, something interesting I should have noticed earlier but only just now saw via umx:

https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/438811682983645185

Two of Sentai's just solicited releases, Maoyuu and Henneko, seem to be a test run for a new disc policy: instead of 3 discs on DVD and 2 on BD for your average one-cour release, they'll be 2 discs on DVD and only a single BD disc. Sentai doesn't exactly have the best history of BD-authoring, so we'll have to see how this turns out. Just something to keep in mind if you're preordering either of those shows.

The Japanese release for the "GJ-bu: Repeat Disc" Blu-ray is doing the same thing, but with no extras. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=100878482&highlight=#post100878482

Wonder why Sentai decided to go back to two DVDs per cour though?

cajunator

Banned
Magic Knight Reyearth 1

Damn, Master Mage Clef turned to stone already? So the three of them are already pretty much on their own except for the flying bird they're on. That's gonna be a pretty interesting angle if they go for it, having to mostly figure things out for themselves. Hikaru at least is off to a pretty good start.

Sometimes it feels like characters don't have a proper appreciation for what's going on. Then again, in a span of five minutes they were on Tokyo Tower, then on the back of a flying fish (he was cool I hope he comes back), and then are told they must become magic knights and they can't go home until they've finished their mission. That's another thing; they're in unfamiliar territory instead of on home turf. I'm not a mahou shoujo guru like Hito or apprentice like Kirby, but this isn't something I've seen that often. At least not from the very beginning and for the entire duration of their mission.

MKR did a lot of fun stuff with the world and the mechs and such. Its a great adventure with an ending I liked quite a bit.

MUWAHHAHAHAHA. YOU MAY HAVE DEFEATED THEM NATSU AND COMPANY. BUT WE ARE A SECRET ORGANIZATION WHO IS EVEN STRONGER. MY ULTIMATE FORM

and reading the manga didnt help as that just brought me further into this. It wasn't bad, just fairly standard shonen action.

I think you mean "Hahahaha, we might be a threat! But then FT goes AWWW YEAH GTS SEXY TIME and kill the build up because that's how the fuck we roll."

CorvoSol

This is what makes Samumenco amazing, though.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 6

After meeting Takano Miyo on the road to Hinamizawa, Kino went to Rome.

pPOYjy0.gif

Ohh man. Two parter. Youll like this one. Kino doesnt fuck around. Also next episode after is one of my favorites.

Also, something interesting I should have noticed earlier but only just now saw via umx:

https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/438811682983645185

Two of Sentai's just solicited releases, Maoyuu and Henneko, seem to be a test run for a new disc policy: instead of 3 discs on DVD and 2 on BD for your average one-cour release, they'll be 2 discs on DVD and only a single BD disc. Sentai doesn't exactly have the best history of BD-authoring, so we'll have to see how this turns out. Just something to keep in mind if you're preordering either of those shows.

Interesting change but hopefully the compression isnt atrocious.

Gazoinks

Bakemonogatari 10

Well that ended... surprisingly darkly.
I think it's pretty interesting the way they deconstruct Arararararararararararararararararararagi's desire to help people. A smore typical approach would be like "Woo helping people is great! Let's save everyone! My heart is burning!". But here Arararagi's inability to make sacrifices almost killed Nadeko. Of course, now the other kid's cursed so who's to say whether he made the righr choice.

Still the least interesting OP though. :p

I think you mean "Hahahaha, we might be a threat! But then FT goes AWWW YEAH GTS SEXY TIME and kill the build up because that's how the fuck we roll."

I'm not gonna lie, both of you are right. That's exactly how the show works. The reason I like the show so much is mainly because it was the show that got me back into anime. (this was before I watched Geass, TTGL, Madoka, etc)

I won't deny that there are much better shows than Fairy Tail that I've seen. It's just a really guilty pleasure of mine. The characters are funny, and the show has really good world-building.

So yeah, you can my favourite anime was shit once. My favourite anime is now TTGL, but Fairy Tail will always hold a special place in my heart. :)

Also it has a god-tier OST composed by the same guy who did some of the Precure shows!

This is what makes Samumenco amazing, though.

And is exactly why I think you would enjoy it. It's not over-the-top batshit crazy, but it's still pretty dang fun IMO.

EDIT: Also, it has roaring rampages of revenge. Something you seem to enjoy quite a lot.

Yes, I still remembered that too, but as you and I both know on the issue, VAP is actually competent at lower bitrate authoring.

I will always assume the Japanese BD releases will have better bitrate authoring than their U.S. BD counterparts. For the DVD change, I was somewhat expecting to see the episodes separated like 1-8 and 9-12 or something like that.

zeroshiki

Fairy Tail = Gundam Wing with dragons?

CorvoSol

I remember watching the flasback to Setsuna's past (ep1? 2?) and literally going "oh fuck you, that's Sousuke's background story."

Did you read the rest of the FMP saga stuff? Because Lockon Stratos' backstory is almost exactly Kurz Weber's, too.

OH NO I AM A EUROPEAN BOY WHOSE PARENTS DIED IN A TERRORIST ATTACK. I MUST LEARN THE SACRED WAY OF THE SNIPER TO HAVE MY REVENGE. BUT WHEN THE TIME CAME, I COULDN'T DO IT. NOW I AM PLAYING BIG BRO/WING MAN TO A TEEN WITH SOCIAL PROBLEMS AND A KNIFE FETISH.

Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!
So I just went back and rewatched the last episode of Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! out of boredom, and I instantly remembered how good the show was. Its a shame it never got past 12 episodes and 2 OVAs. I would have loved to see them continue it. The music is addicting and the characters are just lovable.

I think I might have to go do a full rewatch of the series now.

Natsume Yuujinchou doesn't have much of a huge cast, but seeing returning faces brings a smile to my face. This show is absolutely addicting and charms you into keeping up.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not gonna lie, both of you are right. That's exactly how the show works. The reason I like the show so much is mainly because it was the show that got me back into anime. (this was before I watched Geass, TTGL, Madoka, etc)

I won't deny that there are much better shows than Fairy Tail that I've seen. It's just a really guilty pleasure of mine. The characters are funny, and the show has really good world-building.

So yeah, you can my favourite anime was shit once. My favourite anime is now TTGL, but Fairy Tail will always hold a special place in my heart. :)

Also it has a god-tier OST composed by the same guy who did some of the Precure shows!

And is exactly why I think you would enjoy it. It's not over-the-top batshit crazy, but it's still pretty dang fun IMO.

EDIT: Also, it has roaring rampages of revenge. Something you seem to enjoy quite a lot.

Ok I dont have the time or desire to watch Fairy Tail but Juvia and Levy are SERIOUSLY CUTE.
Maybe I just have a thing for blue hair.
but DAMN.

Noirulus

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Ep. 03 - 15

I've been really enjoying this show. The visual design is top notch and the director/artists' (or whomever deserves credit) eye for spatial accuracy is incredible. The show's pacing has been great too; with well-placed breaks from the main story to focus on the philosophy of AI and such.

That said, the latest episode I've watched, episode 15, is very... uncharacteristic. The plot thus far had been logical, and the strategies employed during space battles were believable and engaging, but I can't say the same for this episode.

The leader of the Gamillans' dies in a freak accident... completely out of left field, but okay. But then on the cusp of Yamato's defeat to Domel, he receives an order to return immediately. WTF? They literally needed maybe 10 more seconds of firepower in order to annihilate the Yamato, yet they stop attacking and leave. I understand that your leader's death is a huge deal, but there's NO WAY that their rules are so strict that they couldn't afford a few extra moments to finish destroying Yamato. An incredibly contrived plot device in order to keep the cast alive.

Maybe I'm missing some important subplot that's going to be revealed in the next episode. I hope so.

Edit: Some more thoughts:

- Brown-skin pilot is the OTP.
fucking mori is trying her best to steal kodai's heart. that wench! &#8206;(&#65417;&#3237;&#30410;&#3237;&#65289;&#65417;&#65279; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;

Jintor

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Ep. 03 - 15

I've been really enjoying this show. The visual design is top notch and the director/artists' (or whomever deserves credit) eye for spatial accuracy is incredible. The show's pacing has been great too; with well-placed breaks from the main story to focus on the philosophy of AI and such.

That said, the latest episode I've watched, episode 15, is very... uncharacteristic. The plot thus far had been logical, and the strategies employed during space battles were believable and engaging, but I can't say the same for this episode.

The leader of the Gamillans' dies in a freak accident... completely out of left field, but okay. But then on the cusp of Yamato's defeat to Domel, he receives an order to return immediately. WTF? They literally needed maybe 10 more seconds of firepower in order to annihilate the Yamato, yet they stop attacking and leave. I understand that your leader's death is a huge deal, but there's NO WAY that their rules are so strict that they couldn't afford a few extra moments to finish destroying Yamato. An incredibly contrived plot device in order to keep the cast alive.

Maybe I'm missing some important subplot that's going to be revealed in the next episode. I hope so.

You are, but it's still pretty weak.

CorvoSol

Great Mazinger 1

Jun confirmed waifu status already. Especially when she slaps Tetsuya for telling her her place was in the kitchen and not piloting a giant robot. You tell im, Jun. You tell im.

JCG

nintendoman said:
Madoka Rebellion =
Code Geass R2 with Magical Girls

I'd say it's more like...Madoka Rebellion =
Votoms Shining Heresy with Magical Girls

I realize not enough people have seen any of that other property though, much less its unnecessary OVA sequel.

Articalys

Mikakunin ep.8

Well, that's quite a cliffhanger.

Also, I am sorry, but Benio's existence is really starting to drag the show down from something that would be outstanding to something that's just really good instead.

Mikakunin ep.8

Also, I am sorry, but Benio's existence is really starting to drag the show down from something that would be outstanding to something that's just really good instead.

agreed. She's fine in small amounts, but her hatred for romcom and insistence on imouto jokes makes her my worst enemy.

As to the episode, the ending cliffhanger is big but I can tell you exactly what's going to happen
Kobeni will be depressed the whole episode thinking Hakuya is better off, then he tells her something sweet and she gets embarassed/falls a bit more for him

Hamatora 08

That was a fun episode.

Not so surprised that we didn't get much fallout from what happened at the end of last episode but I guess it'll be some time before everyone discovers it.

The whole bitter melon fight was pretty fun to watch though. Why bitter melon?

Gazoinks

Clannad After Story 11

Workin' in the real world! Good thing Tomoya has a girlfriend who is unconditionally approving of everything he does! It's definitely cool seeing Tomoya adjust to post-high school life. Very different dynamic, and good development for him,

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY Akio remains best. Lightsaber fights!

Clannad After Story 11

Workin' in the real world! Good thing Tomoya has a girlfriend who is unconditionally approving of everything he does! It's definitely cool seeing Tomoya adjust to post-high school life. Very different dynamic, and good development for him,

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY Akio remains best. Lightsaber fights!

keep going, chugga chugga chugga chuggalong to the best part of the whole show. The dad's episode tore my heart out

Mikakunin ep.8

Yep, Benio is the worst part of the show. Longer scenes with her are a real struggle to watch, especially that one in this episode in the student council room. The humor with her doesn't really work anymore, and dragging those attempts at humor out really brings down the show.

Benio is getting a bit stale but I still really like her character concept.

There really isn't much development that can happen with that though.

Articalys

For me, at least, it's a testament to how really damn good the rest of the show is that I'm still enjoying it each week even with her in the way.

Gazoinks

do yourself a favor and watch the movie instead. It tells the exact same story with much better animation. Anime might have a tad bit more running time, but the film tends to be recommended instead.

I would, but I'm watching it an episode a day with a friend who doesn't really have the time for a full movie.

I gotta agree. I might skip some of the Hakuya-less scenes, but 90% of the scenes I skip are the ones of Benio and her student council. I used to not care about blonde girl but her character became more interesting following this ending.

I would, but I'm watching it an episode a day with a friend who doesn't really have the time for a full movie.

Who doesn't have time for a movie?
HITLER?!

Noragami OVA

Wait, Hiyori wasn't already in High School? This was a decent comedy OVA. Some of the humor worked for me, but I think I prefer Noragami when it has a more serious tone.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 1

Man, I forgot how GOOD everything in this show looked. Kamille's a doof, and it's funny seeing him take crap from Jerid because boy howdy is that table gonna turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom