• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samurai Flamenco 18

Alien Flamenco with the Engrish was awesome. SIT DOWN.

This episode was great, the amount of absurd shit they pulled off was great. I am wondering what they will do in those 4 last episodes.

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco 18

ENGRISH FURAMENCO. SEE YOU LATER.

So let me see if I've got this straight...
Masayoshi really wanting to be a hero somehow altered reality sending him to a dimension where all the sentai stuff was real? And Flamwenco? What?

I have no idea what's going to happen in the rest of this show. THIS SHOW.

Syrinx

Mind you I personally think it builds a sense of community and is one of the reasons I stick around this place!
As a barrier it's not really hard to get around by err asking. People don't tend to be dicks about it!

To me it just feels like it encourages having a schtick or being a character rather than just trying to participate in and contrubute to the community.

We're not the only community that does it, NFL-GAF uses :jnc, :kas, and squicken (no colon since it's a verb), so I'm not against having a few, but I guess I just think we need to be discriminating about using them.

Anyway, enough thoughts on that, time for MKR.

CorvoSol

War in the Pocket does a lot of things better than other Gundam shows because the writing is actually good. I mean, across the Gundam franchise you can find plenty of great designs, great animation, even solid direction but writing is where most works in the franchise fall down. Not so with War in the Pocket.

Oh definitely. Which is why, while I like G the most, I feel that War in the Pocket is most likely the best show in the entire franchise.

Jex

Weren't there people hating on Kill la Kill's composer before the show came out and now almost everyone thinks the OST is amazing?
Well yes, but that's a bit of a general statement isn't it?

Some people weren't looking forward to his work because of past experiences with shows he has scored.

Some people think KLK has a good OST.

That's about all you can say without finding individual posters comments and comparing them with later comments that they've made to see if they've changed their mind.

Personally, I don't like the composer and I don't like most of the work on his show but he has a handful of good tracks. In my mind that doesn't really make him a good choice because there are other composers who can knock entire soundtracks out of the park.

Nafe

Although I should probably know better, since I'm the one who coined :cajun in the first place and got the ball rolling on that whole mess.

Again, don't be so quick to copy me!
Except when watching Doremi.

So you're the initial instigator on why cjkeats left!
Haha, I'm only kidding.

This does bring up the point again though where he or she mentioned that they thought the thread was awful for being too insider and insular due to so many throwing around terms like this for example and that's part of why they left. :(

Where's Menma?!

She'll show up later as the sixth ranger! Haha.

Actually it was kind of funny how many little parallels I saw to AnoHana. The show has a group of friends as kids who make their secret base at a tree there and then at the start of the episode they're all meeting up again after apparently drifting apart. In a kind of a morbid way it became funnier when it was revealed at the end of the first episode that
that might all be dead.
There's hints such as the main guy dreaming of falling out of the tree when he was younger(which reminded me of Menma falling) and the others mentioning they weren't sure how they got to the train but were there when they woke up.

Episode 2 though hints that maybe
they're alive but the evil forces have taken over their old hometown which has caused them to forget.
Kind of another PreCure-like taking advantage of the darkness in peoples hearts thing. Sentai and Kamen Rider also seem to use that as a common enough theme.

A glossary of :usernames at the beginning of the thread would be nice for newcomers.

What is :chet?

It means being busty. Minako/Sailor Venus in my avatar could be labelled as :chet.

Mature

War in the Pocket does a lot of things better than other Gundam shows because the writing is actually good. I mean, across the Gundam franchise you can find plenty of great designs, great animation, even solid direction but writing is where most works in the franchise fall down. Not so with War in the Pocket.
Really? Is that the consensus between Gundam fans? Wasn't aware. I've been making my way through the Gundam Origin graphic novels and the story is stellar. Of course, it's only the second thing from Gundam I've experienced, ever. (First being GBF)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So you're the initial instigator on why cjkeats left!
Haha, I'm only kidding.

This does bring up the point again though where he or she mentioned that they thought the thread was awful for being too insider and insular due to so many throwing around terms like this for example and that's part of why they left. :(
To be clear, I don't think it's at all wrong for a group to be close even if produces an intimidating appearance. That's kind of the point of being a community, but reducing each other to a schtick is a real problem.

Theonik

Pretty much. SDBurton ran into that issue a while ago and decided to backpedal.
Eh, I can understand that, I had a similar issue when I had 'that avatar' line.
Though I suppose I enjoy that sort of thing. In the first place people who get given : have a shtick already though and if anything it kinda pressures them into dropping it eventually, so that would be considered a good thing. Maybe.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Eh, I can understand that, I had a similar issue when I had 'that avatar' line. Though I suppose I enjoy that sort of thing. In the first place people who get given : have a shtick already though and if anything it kinda pressures them into dropping it eventually, so that would be considered a good thing. Maybe.
It can go either way. Some feel they are expected to keep it up.

Jex

Really? Is that the consensus between Gundam fans? Wasn't aware. I've been making my way through the Gundam Origin graphic novels and the story is stellar. Of course, it's only the second thing from Gundam I've experienced, ever. (First being GBF)

Have you heard of a gentleman called Yoshiyuki Tomino? Creator of the Gundam franchise and writer and director on dozens of projects? I imagine you have, even if you haven't seen any works he's actually been in charge of.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to call his writing talent ability as something below a light novel creator. Once again, this guy is the main creative force behind multiple Gundam properties and they are all tarred by his (lack of) talent.

Here's how his stories work: Introduction - everyone's a dick - STUFF HAPPENING - characters get physically abused - shouting - people do thing's because - Comedy? - ALL THE STUFF HAPPENING - more physical abuse - respite - MORE STUFF HAPPENING - Everyone dies.

Nafe

To be clear, I don't think it's at all wrong for a group to be close even if produces an intimidating appearance. That's kind of the point of being a community, but reducing each other to a schtick is a real problem.

That's true on both accounts. While some other community threads might not be quite as insular as AnimeGaf may seem, their still exist others that are, so it's not like AnimeGaf is alone in that regard.

Mature

Have you heard of a gentleman called Yoshiyuki Tomino? Creator of the Gundam franchise and writer and director on dozens of projects? I imagine you have, even if you haven't seen any works he's actually been in charge of.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to call his writing talent ability as something below a light novel creator. Once again, this guy is the main creative force behind multiple Gundam properties and they are all tarred by his (lack of) talent.

Here's how his stories work: Introduction - everyone's a dick - STUFF HAPPENING - characters get physically abused - shouting - people do thing's because - Comedy? - ALL THE STUFF HAPPENING - more physical abuse - respite - MORE STUFF HAPPENING - Everyone dies.
Hahaha, I guess I didn't know!

CorvoSol

Gundam is a mixed bag. I think that MSG really was a good work, and the one place I'd say Tomino really nailed everything he needed to nail until Turn A came along. But Zeta goes wrong somewhere in the middle and UC never really recovers from it. CCA is absolute tripe, F91 might've been good, we'll never know, and Victory is utter shit. Between Zeta and ZZ you have 1 good show. This good show is the first half of Zeta and the latter half of Zeta. the 50 episodes in the middle? Not so much.

And then outside of UC it all gets kinda mixed, too. G is great, but G is also a Super Robot show that sheds most of the snares of UC Gundam and benefits immensely from having a different director. Wing and SEED rehash UC too much, and SEED Destiny suffers from rehashing SEED's rehash. 00 rips off FMP and half way through thinks it's going to improve by pretending to be Zeta, and AGE is almost universally agreed upon as being awful.

I wouldn't say Wing and SEED are bad shows, and if I'm going to be unbiased the first season of 00 wasn't that bad, either. Beyond this, though, Gundam suffers extensively from trying to drive home the many horrors of war and not doing a great job of it. It doesn't help that "Newtypes" are a thing in Gundam and the further away from MSG the more of a burden upon the plot they are because in Tomino's case they wind up an excuse for his incapacity to write dialogue and in later shows they hijack the plot to the point where you cannot make attempts to explain what happens in 00's 2nd season without going through six kinds of Newtype to get there, and the AGE equivalents are mentioned non-stop.

Likewise, it's hard to really tell a convincing story about how awful war is when the writers and fans alike have a serious hard on for THE SPACE NAZIS.

cajunator

Banned
To me it just feels like it encourages having a schtick or being a character rather than just trying to participate in and contrubute to the community.

We're not the only community that does it, NFL-GAF uses :jnc, :kas, and squicken (no colon since it's a verb), so I'm not against having a few, but I guess I just think we need to be discriminating about using them.

Yeah NFLGaf is where I see it being used most often.
and definitely watch more MKR!

Theonik

Tomino's writing works if you assume every character is a moron as a consequence of air pollution and lack of oxygen in space colonies. In fact it even explains why everyone dies at the end. You just need a certain perspective is all.

Samurai Flamenco 18
Looks like Mister Justice was not in fact ruined. It was pretty amazing. Practically Gurren Lagann levels of crazy. And it still isn't over. I'm not even sure what next episode is going to be.

cnet128

Banned
Silver Spoon S2 7

ibcLtOwIxn8mQ.png

being hachiken is suffering

Poor Komaba.

Jex

[Samurai Flamenco] - 18

We've gone beyond the impossible now.

"I literally don't even...???" is all that I can say about this episode and this series. I really don't see how we've got four episodes left.

Branduil

To be fair that's more on the poster than the people using the :terms. They only exist in the first place if people notice you overdoing something to such a degree that they can just post the :term and everyone in the community instantly knows what it means.

Jex

Oh yeah, it kind of goes without saying at this point, but the writing in SamFlam is the best:

samflam18b4vik9.png

One of the many rules of anime and manga!

samflam18a70ew7.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She'll show up later as the sixth ranger! Haha.

Actually it was kind of funny how many little parallels I saw to AnoHana. The show has a group of friends as kids who make their secret base at a tree there and then at the start of the episode they're all meeting up again after apparently drifting apart. In a kind of a morbid way it became funnier when it was revealed at the end of the first episode that
that might all be dead.
There's hints such as the main guy dreaming of falling out of the tree when he was younger(which reminded me of Menma falling) and the others mentioning they weren't sure how they got to the train but were there when they woke up.

Episode 2 though hints that maybe
they're alive but the evil forces have taken over their old hometown which has caused them to forget.
Kind of another PreCure-like taking advantage of the darkness in peoples hearts thing. Sentai and Kamen Rider also seem to use that as a common enough theme.

That sounds more Key-drama than AnoHana. lol

Natsume Yuujinchou: Dragon Ball Kai Arc
i7aPADk.gif

Man the quality of this show just hasn't dropped. The OP and ED's have been just the most calm songs ever. The arcs have been great. And the bromance between Natsume and Nyanko-sensei is one of the best I've seen outside of Killua and Gon.

This arc was another one that was sweet n sour. Natsume continues to be an amazing lead. A perfect example that you don't have to lead a fantasy series with a badass fighter. You can also have one of the sweetest characters ever whose biggest fault is that he's too nice.

Well this gives me more hope for Gundam X to be really good in the end, as Tomino apparently didn't have anything to do with it. 6 episodes in, and I'm kinda enjoying it so far. Mostly because it's set after a huge war as opposed to during one.

Nafe

That sounds more Key-drama than AnoHana. lol

Haha. Sentai meets Angle Beats! (That's the only KEY show I've seen)

It's actually fairly light hearted for the most part. How the group deals with the MotW for example almost feels more like something out of Akibaranger where they sort of joke or mess around.

Syrinx

Magic Knight Reyearth 2

Well, they have their mascot character now.

Hikaru has pretty much established herself as the leader of the three now. Conversation between Fuu and Yumi in bed pretty much confirmed this.

Syrinx

To be fair that's more on the poster than the people using the :terms. They only exist in the first place if people notice you overdoing something to such a degree that they can just post the :term and everyone in the community instantly knows what it means.

True. But I do think there's a point where when they're being handed out and used often enough, some people feel that they aren't a true part of the community until they have one of their own. I myself felt that way a bit at some point after first posting here.

CorvoSol

Symbionic Titan 7

A Red-headed cheerleader who can do insane flips and fight monsters named Kim. I know what you've done here Tartakovsky, and I don't mind it. I don't mind it one bit.

Anyway, cheerleaders learn a valuable lesson about being decent human beings and texting saves high schoolers from certain death. You know, it isn't that I don't enjoy Symbionic Titan, because I do, I really do, but if I were like, 15, I think I would love this show even more. Because it really, really seems to know how to appeal to things I think I would've loved as a teen.

Golden Time 20

This episode is brilliant. The Tea Club girls were fucking hilarious hahaha. Banri and Koko kept the status quo. aka being adorable together.

edit: reading the review below maybe i spoke too soon

edit 2:
sVTjKWn.gif

FUCK. YOU.

Midonin

Golden Time 20

The Tea Club girls are always so fun to watch. Though the whole
return of memories
thing is going to throw a wrench into the works of the proposal. The festival club stuff was fun. At 20 episodes in, a large part of the charm is just hanging out with these characters. Nana's one scene, and Koko's reaction to being asked exactly what the "Exorcist" were stood out. She's not an owl, Banri.

Branduil

True. But I do think there's a point where when they're being handed out and used often enough, some people feel that they aren't a true part of the community until they have one of their own. I myself felt that way a bit at some point after first posting here.

Eh, some of us have been here forever and don't have a :term.

Golden Time 20

The Tea Club girls are always so fun to watch. Though the whole
return of memories
thing is going to throw a wrench into the works of the proposal. The festival club stuff was fun. At 20 episodes in, a large part of the charm is just hanging out with these characters. Nana's one scene, and Koko's reaction to being asked exactly what the "Exorcist" were stood out. She's not an owl, Banri.

Has it been established that it's
a proposal? From what I recall earlier he was saying that it wasn't his intention but that he could see himself marrying Koko. And throughout this episode it was the same

For the love of god Ghost Banri don't fucking ruin this show for me. There's only a couple of more episodes left

This is A ROM-COM ! - 08

Oh sorry the real name is :

Mikakunin de shinkoukei - 08
i wasn't ready to see so many misunderstandings in the same episode ... that's really a lot

That same species opposition : "let's go the the roof" the whole scene was great ...
1393534647073.gif

DAT ESPER teleport
Overall benio reaction this episode were fantastic , including the replays ..

but DRAMA ..oh god DRAMA ... it's starting now and it ain't going to be pretty.

I'm debating whether I should ignore complaints over Thief and actually give it a try. I mean it did arrive via Gamefly. But animu time is always precious... decisions decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom