• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Succubi only grow up when given their precious man-relish, I learned that from a doujin earlier this evening.
Good manga.

I'm a Native American male, not sure what anime character i'd be.
This guy.

The point is to spread it, but I'd prefer it if the watchbet required me to watch something good rather than punishing me for no reason.
Hey, Jesus did it!

Boredom is an impediment but hate is fuel.
Did you make it to episode 7 at least.

Articalys

Other bits of data:

- Infinite Stratos 2 continues to slide, with vol.3 selling 13,857.
- Non Non Biyori, on the other hand, stays relatively consistent, with vol.2 selling 7,867 compared to v1w1's 8,331.
- Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ vol.4 sees a really weird DVD bump, selling 2,431 while BDs remain below the threshold. something's only theory for now is that maybe people who wanted the special event video on the volume more than the main show went cheap and bought the DVD. Or Oricon messed up somehow when listing the data.
- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya now has a final average of 6,655 over five volumes

Here's the full translated list:
http://www.someanithing.com/?p=755

Quasar

Speaking of sales, did anyone ever do a full list of sales for the year? I have questions like 'how badly did Eccentric Family/Tamayura/Watamote/Gingitsune sell'.

Articalys

Speaking of sales, did anyone ever do a full list of sales for the year? I have questions like 'how badly did Eccentric Family and Tamayura sell'.
Here's the page from something's site that has the to-date sales of all volumes for series that started airing in 2013. You can poke around the site for data from other years.

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=27

To directly answer the two series you mentioned, Eccentric Family is currently sitting at a 1,828 average with a few more volumes to go, while the first Tamayura season sold around 4-5k per volume and the second season is doing just slightly under that.

Jarmel

Banned
Utena 31-
ibid6RHW77qVr3.jpg

That was definitely not a joke.

Nanami episodes are best episodes. Kinda funny how Nanami bailed after
seeing what true incest looks like
. Also Utena with that high level of self-delusion.
One thing that is real about this school is the #thirst.

Gintama 11-12

While she wasn't the focus of either episode per se, Otose got plenty of backstory and once again the show manages to somehow elicit feelings in me despite being a comedy. I find it amazing that, even 12 episodes in, we're still doing character intro episodes. And we still haven't seen a good number of them yet still, if the ED is any indication.

Quasar

Here's the page from something's site that has the to-date sales of all volumes for series that started airing in 2013. You can poke around the site for data from other years.

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=27

To directly answer the two series you mentioned, Eccentric Family is currently sitting at a 1,828 average with a few more volumes to go, while the first Tamayura season sold around 4-5k per volume and the second season is doing just slightly under that.

Thanks for the link.

Ow. Some sobbing inducing numbers in there. Poor Genshiken/Gingitsune. And man...7 volumes to get Eccentric Family. As much as I adore that show thats terribly rough on he wallet.

On the up side I guess...Tamayura seems better off than I expected. So maybe the ova to come is setup for a new season. Also...maybe those Oreshura (that I liked for some reason) sales will warrant it getting more. Assuming the LNs are selling.

Oh look! They're finally going to be hunting something!

I wonder why they're introducing two new kids. Here's hoping they're around for a while. So cute!

WHYYYYYY NOOOOOO

Not going to lie, the beginning of this arc disturbs me, on so many levels.

I mean I was prepared. You don't
introduce two new kids, play up how sweet their story is, and then not kill them.

The juxtaposition gave it away.

My heart still sank when I saw the bloody ribbon on the floor though :(

I mean I was prepared. You don't
introduce two new kids, play up how sweet their story is, and then not kill them.

The juxtaposition gave it away.

My heart still sank when I saw the bloody ribbon on the floor though :(

Oh I saw it coming too. That didn't help me when it actually happened though. Like I said... the beginnings of this arc just... disturb me.

Jarmel

Banned
Utena 32-
ibhbhbdCNN6Imn.jpg

Yea she knew exactly what she was doing.
This school is filled with awful people. I did enjoy Nanami putting her bitches in line though.
Utena is either dense as fuck or just an idiot. Possibly both. Nanami pretty spells it out for her but Utena completely whiffs. The right question in that bedroom would have been "What the fuck are you talking about?" or "I sure as hell don't want to hear that from you" but Utena goes on this speech about siblings.

Oh and these fights are so fucking lazy. Utena just pulls out a one shot every time when things are remotely approaching difficult for her. Makes the asspulls in Star Driver seem well earned.

cnet128

Banned
Oreshura 1-13 END

Masuzu was definitely the least appealing. Chiwa was the best

We can be friends.

Higurashi 8

Fuuuuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I swear to God, if we Code Geass R2 AGAIN in episode 9, I'm gonna be PISSED. They'd better be going somewhere with this, or I'm going to lose interest real fast. 2nd arc wasn't anywhere near as creepy as the first, and too much of it was spent retreading the same shit as the last. I REALLY do not want to watch 26 episodes of "variations on the exact same fucking plot".

Higurashi 9

Okay then, could someone explain to me what this show's deal is? Is it really "take it from the top" every 5 episodes then?

Okay, a little context on this show. Higurashi was originally a series of eight doujin visual novels (well, the guy called them "sound novels", presumably to emphasise that the music and ambience was great while the art was...not so much...), and for the most part each novel does start from the same point in time. (There's no branching or choices involved, they're purely a linear narrative experience, so no need to worry about the anime having to choose "routes" to cover or anything like that.)

The series is presented as mystery and horror. The first four arcs are the "question" arcs in which the series builds up the mystery (while scaring the fuck out of you in various ways) and the viewer is supposed to vaguely try to figure out what the fuck is going on in this village. The latter four arcs are intended to provide the "solutions" to the mysteries provided by the first four, and tie up the series as a whole.

As for the anime adaptation, the first series covers the first six of the eight arcs, so it's roughly two-thirds "question" stuff and one-third "answer". The first three arcs basically follow the formula with which you've already become acquainted (though personally I think the third is definitely the strongest of the three, so hope you enjoy that!) The fourth arc is a massive change of pace, and also the shortest of the lot. It feels almost more like an interlude or "bridge" between the question and answer arcs than a question arc in its own right.

Then you're into the "answer" arcs, each of which is loosely a counterpart to one of the "question" arcs, and provides some kind of resolution to that arc's themes while also moving the story and overarching mystery towards a final conclusion. The first answer arc in particular is the most straightforwardly a "solution" to its counterpart, so there's some instant gratification there. The remaining three are increasingly more loosely connected to their counterparts, but do much more to explain the overall mystery.

Oh, and for the sake of completeness, I should probably point out that in addition to covering the two final "answer" arcs, the second series Kai also features one extra anime-original introductory arc which serves to fill in a few of the missing details that were skipped over in the first series due to six arcs being compressed somewhat into two cours.

SKET Dance 1

I think this show and I will get along juuuuuuuuuuust fine. Basically high school Gintama. With Gintoki in a starring role.

Yay, I like Sket Dance. It's fun.

(I don't particularly like equating Sugita with Gintoki, but eh.)

Higurashi 3

Ah, things are starting to get interesting. Sew good.

"Interesting", eh...?

Did you make it to episode 7 at least.

What's the deal with 7 then? I dropped Strike Witches at episode 6 not long ago but I could take one more if it's worth it. Like madp I didn't even hate it; that's just where I stopped, and then never felt like going back to it.

Theonik

What's the deal with 7 then? I dropped Strike Witches at episode 6 not long ago but I could take one more if it's worth it. Like madp I didn't even hate it; that's just where I stopped, and then never felt like going back to it.
The 7th episodes of both seasons are pretty special. The first one also is based on real historical events.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Other bits of data:

- Infinite Stratos 2 continues to slide, with vol.3 selling 13,857.
- Non Non Biyori, on the other hand, stays relatively consistent, with vol.2 selling 7,867 compared to v1w1's 8,331.
- Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ vol.4 sees a really weird DVD bump, selling 2,431 while BDs remain below the threshold. something's only theory for now is that maybe people who wanted the special event video on the volume more than the main show went cheap and bought the DVD. Or Oricon messed up somehow when listing the data.
- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya now has a final average of 6,655 over five volumes

Here's the full translated list:
http://www.someanithing.com/?p=755

I hope they manage to make a final season of Tamayura. Maybe he can make ten more seasons of Phi Brain to pay for it.

Gbraga

Non Non Biyori 1

That was pretty nice. Almost feels like a Sato Jun show. It's interesting how every anime I've seen set in the countryside has combined classes; I wonder if that's one of the effects of Japan's shrinking population. Also, that poor guy who gets completely ignored even by his sisters.

Keep going, it only gets better.

Onii-chan is one of the best characters.

Gintama 86

Why must this show make me laugh and feel so much. This was supposed to be a comedy anime ...
Thing is the serious part of gintama are on par with plenty of serious shows.

Higurashi 8

Fuuuuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I swear to God, if we Code Geass R2 AGAIN in episode 9, I'm gonna be PISSED. They'd better be going somewhere with this, or I'm going to lose interest real fast. 2nd arc wasn't anywhere near as creepy as the first, and too much of it was spent retreading the same shit as the last. I REALLY do not want to watch 26 episodes of "variations on the exact same fucking plot".
Not the exact plot ..the events didn't go the same way as last time , right ?
Don't worry , there is an answer to this a a logical in-universe explanation.

something something kyo-ani

sonicmj1

Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen 1

I was told there would be minimal desu. I feel lied to.

ibdaVqi0Z2sGh4.jpg
iMlusVFXzZ7ro.jpg

I hate both of them and I hope I never see them ever again.

Apparently this episode is a recap of an entire series of stuff. I admire its efficiency and craft, but I do not care about these dolls at all. Kind of inevitable when you're trying to cram so much stuff into so little space, but the story of seven elaborate Victorian dolls fighting to reunite the Rozen Whatever (you have to wonder why the dollmaker didn't just use all seven pieces in one doll if this is what he intended) means absolutely nothing to me.

iKMMpjgYosOKc.jpg
iAV7g8YXEVJ9y.jpg

There were actually a lot of moments where the direction went above and beyond what it needed to do, but it was in service to communicating all this crap so I don't really feel like talking about it.

Luckily the episode preview looks like an entirely different show without talking dolls in it, so there's still hope.

zeroshiki

Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen 1

I was told there would be minimal desu. I feel lied to.

Apparently this episode is a recap of an entire series of stuff. I admire its efficiency and craft, but I do not care about these dolls at all. Kind of inevitable when you're trying to cram so much stuff into so little space, but the story of seven elaborate Victorian dolls fighting to reunite the Rozen Whatever (you have to wonder why the dollmaker didn't just use all seven pieces in one doll if this is what he intended) means absolutely nothing to me.

Luckily the episode preview looks like an entirely different show without talking dolls in it, so there's still hope.

The biggest hurdle to Rozen Maiden is the first episode no doubt. I considered dropping it after the first ep but decided to give the next episodes a shot due to the strong recommendations from Brandy and hosanna.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Episode 9:

Right, fuck the run-in twins, fuck there constant interference and breaking the flow of the story, fuck this this season, it can go right into the wastebin. I'll see you at StrikerS.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Episode 9:

Right, fuck the run-in twins, fuck there constant interference and breaking the flow of the story, fuck this this season, it can go right into the wastebin. I'll see you at StrikerS.

If you're serious on dropping this, then at least watch the 2nd movie. It rewrites the entire season but with the twins being completely absent. IMO it provides a better focus on the Book of Darkness and the knights as well.

So if you hate the twins that much, then they're completely gone in the movie.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If you're serious on dropping this, then at least watch the 2nd movie. It rewrites the entire season but with the twins being completely absent. IMO it provides a better focus on the Book of Darkness and the knights as well.

So if you hate the twins that much, then they're completely gone in the movie.

That is not happening.

The Nanoha movies are the way to watch it really. I enjoyed both films much more than the TV series.

Definetly. I really do not get the hate for the movies. In a way, I think the movies improve on the originals with their extra plot points. I like how the first movie expanded more on the story of Precia and how the second movie expanded more on the Book of Darkness, both plot points that were absent in their original seasons.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Non Non Biyori 1

That was pretty nice. Almost feels like a Sato Jun show. It's interesting how every anime I've seen set in the countryside has combined classes; I wonder if that's one of the effects of Japan's shrinking population. Also, that poor guy who gets completely ignored even by his sisters.

Awww yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom