• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Jojo 4

Zeppeli is here wearing an awesome hat and shooting wine at dudes! Go go Zeppeli!
Zombie Jack the Ripper coming out of a horse's neck would be pretty weird in anything else, but in Jojo's it's just the beginning.

Branduil

Jojo 4

Zeppeli is here wearing an awesome hat and shooting whine at dudes! Go go Zeppeli!
Zombie Jack the Ripper coming out of a horse's neck would be a pretty weird in anything else, but in Jojo's it's just the beginning.

Certainly the strangest portrayal of that historical figure that I've ever seen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So mono no aware is like a drug?

"Oh yeah, give me another hit of that sweet bitterness over the ephemeral nature of things."
It's just a different way of looking at life, brah.

No, I'm saying it literally sounds like an autobiography of Miyazaki, LOL.
Yup, it is weirdly autobiographical in that respect. The other thing to just keep in mind is that
Jiro was prepared to run away with her
, but of course history is history and who knows how much of this is made up anyway.

Branduil

NUH UH. It's beautiful and I love it and it's about people and their insides and a charming magical fire and being a family you choose and I love it.

I don't know if I would say it's a completely bad film but I would say it's not successful because even though there are a number of enjoyable and well-made parts to it, it's obvious Miyazaki did not give a single solitary crap about the plot, culminating in one of the worst Deus Ex Machina endings of all time.

Articalys

I guess I should just hurry up and go see the film ASAP because you people are getting worse and worse about spoiling it as this conversation goes on.

zeroshiki

^ Most of it is made up :lol

I think the movie is super Japanese in the sense that only people who grew up in Japan who had a dad who was absent all the time for work, who is an absent father because of work, etc can truly grasp WHY Jiro was being such an idiot about his work.

I'm not an expert on Japanese culture, but it really boils down to the shokunin (master?) mindset and how the Japanese put it above all things.

I understood why to the bitter end, it was all Jiro could do for Naho because he had his work to do.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I learned about the concept of "shokunin" from Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

That's my only contribution.

I guess people should be more careful, although the idea of spoilers for historical biographies is kind of funny, LOL.

I still remember when my friend got pissed off for Rush because I spoiled to him what happens to a certain character's face. Because it isn't like a biographical movie and a famous sport story at that. How was I supposed to know he didn't know?

I looked at him with this exact face
SAz2Utz.jpg

Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters 01

X7bAM1Yl.jpg

Grandpa goes missing yet again but the gang goes to India anyway, comes across a pyramid (cause those are everywhere) built in honor of Alexander the Great, goes through it and discovers a map that transports them to the magical world of Capsule Monsters, whatever the hell that is.

I really don't know why I'm watching this.

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/X7bAM1Yl.jpg[/IMG]

Grandpa goes missing yet again but the gang goes to India anyway, comes across a pyramid (cause those are everywhere) built in honor of Alexander the Great, goes through it and discovers a map that transports them to the magical world of Capsule Monsters, whatever the hell that is.

Watch Yu Gi Oh Abridged instead. You can see Dark Magician with Boobies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I think the movie is super Japanese in the sense that only people who grew up in Japan who had a dad who was absent all the time for work, who is an absent father because of work, etc can truly grasp WHY Jiro was being such an idiot about his work.

I'm not an expert on Japanese culture, but it really boils down to the shokunin (master?) mindset and how the Japanese put it above all things.

I understood why to the bitter end, it was all Jiro could do for Naho because he had his work to do.
Did Miyazaki shoot himself in the foot?

But yeah, it's funny because of the other "Jiro" movie where it's also basically about a man who is obsessed with his craft to the point where the only reason he has a relationship with his sons is because they happened to go into the business with him.

I suppose you could also suggest that she
loved him because he was so obsessed with creating the perfect plane, to the point where she was okay with him smoking in front of her

I can definitely see that view point as well. I was and still am conflicted on whether or not to call it a happy ending though. lol
It really depends on how you view life, of course. It's a very "Japanese" ending to say the least.

CorvoSol

I don't know if I would say it's a completely bad film but I would say it's not successful because even though there are a number of enjoyable and well-made parts to it, it's obvious Miyazaki did not give a single solitary crap about the plot, culminating in one of the worst Deus Ex Machina endings of all time.

TRUE LOVE IS THE GREATEST OF DEUS' EXES

So it's the Disney's Pocahontas of anime?

Speaking of Disney's Pocahontas, Brazilian author Jose de Alencar wrote a book called Iracema that is like Pocahontas, except he wrote it like, in the 1800s, and in his version John Smith and Pocahontas do have sex, and Pocahontas walks around everywhere naked, and there are awesome fight scenes!

But will I get a sad attempt to sell some board game no one bought?

Don't know about the board game, but they make fun of the fact a children's card game has such an impact on the world. I love the one scene where it's like

"I've developed technology that can render 3D objects on the fly unlike anything the world has seen before. So of course I'm using it to play a children's card game!"

hahaha god I love that thing so much. Highly recommended.

On an unrelated note, watching Princess Tutu and this came up

fpb77dY.gif

and of course I had to sing he's a maniac, maaaaaaaaaaniac on the floor

zeroshiki

I thought they were talking about The Wind Rises. That's not a historical biography. It's not based on his life at all. :p

And even if they were, none of that happened!

I think it did to some other guy :p Hori Tatsuo? His novel is the basis for the love story and the Kaze Tachinu title.

Did Miyazaki shoot himself in the foot?

But yeah, it's funny because of the other "Jiro" movie where it's also basically about a man who is obsessed with his craft to the point where the only reason he has a relationship with his sons is because they happened to go into the business with him.

I suppose you could also suggest that she
loved him because he was so obsessed with creating the perfect plane, to the point where she was okay with him smoking in front of her

It really depends on how you view life, of course. It's a very "Japanese" ending to say the least.

Yeah, Aeronautics Engineer or Sushi Chef is kinda glamorous but the mindset applies to everyday salarymen too. They're not making anything particularly impressive or important but its what society expects of them so they do it. These people are insane and would rather work on the weekends that stay at home.

Quasar

I thought they were talking about The Wind Rises. That's not a historical biography. It's not based on his life at all. :p

And even if they were, none of that happened!

For certain definitions of biography I guess. Though I've not seen it I'd probably argue that like most biopics its historical fiction. Its a set of main biographical points woven with a fictional account.

Branduil

Yeah, Aeronautics Engineer or Sushi Chef is kinda glamorous but the mindset applies to everyday salarymen too. They're not making anything particularly impressive or important but its what society expects of them so they do it. These people are insane and would rather work on the weekends that stay at home.

How long has Japan had such a messed-up view of work/leisure balance?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it did to some other guy :p Hori Tatsuo? His novel is the basis for the love story and the Kaze Tachinu title.

This is what wiki says:
The Wind Has Risen (風立ちぬ - Kaze Tachinu)is a Japanese novel by Hori Tatsuo, written between 1936-37. It is set in a tuberculosis sanitarium in Nagano, Japan. The plot follows the condition of the female character's illness. It was originally serialised in Kaizō.

Have you slept at work lately? lol

For certain definitions of biography I guess. Though I've not seen it I'd probably argue that like most biopics its historical fiction. Its a set of main biographical points woven with a fictional account.
It's literally one story jammed into another story to create a new text though. The only facts you can be sure of are the main character's name and the fact that he designed the zero.

How long has Japan had such a messed-up view of work/leisure balance?
Have you seen those Gran Turismo docs where they show the programmers sleeping under their desks? lol

duckroll

It didn't happen to anyone. The story it's based on is a fictional novel written by Hori Tatsuo. The film is a tribute to the pre-war era of Japan and the accomplishments of Jiro and Hori which characterized that era. It is entirely fiction.

In the case of The Wind Rises, it is actually based on a fictional love story well known in Japan, with the main character changed into a historical figure so it can have two thematic cores in one. So it's complete fantasy using the identity of a real person.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It didn't happen to anyone. The story it's based on is a fictional novel written by Hori Tatsuo. The film is a tribute to the pre-war era of Japan and the accomplishments of Jiro and Hori which characterized that era. It is entirely fiction.
So, it's plane building and fiction writing being celebrated inasmuch as the two men are both masters of their craft?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

X7bAM1Yl.jpg

This is what happens when 4kids commissions extra episodes to sell a new American product line. Except, after the products never come out for whatever reason, it doesn't even air in America, only in Ireland because I guess that's where stillborn cartoon spinoffs go to rot. To this day, it's never received a Japanese dub, which says a lot.

If you're feeling like more Yu-Gi-Oh! for whatever reason, just watch the Season 0 produced by Toei in 1998. It's the most entertaining thing to come out of the entire franchise, even if for all of the wrong reasons.

duckroll

So, it's plane building and fiction writing being celebrated inasmuch as the two men are both masters of their craft?

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't really say what it's trying to say. But Miyazaki never tried to sell it as a biography. He wanted it to be represent a time he grew up in, and pay respect to two men who he admired, while giving modern audiences something to think about in terms of hope and life.

sonicmj1

I guess there's understanding, and there's understanding. The movie certainly explained why, and you can even tell from how other characters react (the scene with Naho's father drives this home particularly hard) that his dedication isn't considered unique or abberant. But it's the sheer extent of it that seems like a cultural divide I can't quite bridge.

My father is a lawyer who's exceptionally dedicated to his job, but even when he was going in to work at 6 AM and coming back at 8 PM each night, as a child I felt like he found ways to make time for me every now and then, even if it was just in that small space of time before I went to bed at 9:30. Weekends and vacations meant something too, even if he often had work he brought home then.

But by a certain way of Japanese thinking, every hour that a man doesn't devote to their profession is an hour wasted. That seems like it'd be incredibly wearying emotionally, though I'd imagine at a certain point you'd get used to it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't seen the movie, so I can't really say what it's trying to say. But Miyazaki never tried to sell it as a biography. He wanted it to be represent a time he grew up in, and pay respect to two men who he admired, while giving modern audiences something to think about in terms of hope and life.
That makes sense. It even lends more credence to the film being autobiographical, at least thematically. lol

And they wonder why the country has a hikikomori problem, LOL.
You really need to be a go getter or you basically just give up, it seems. Someone could joke about that being the otaku approach to women as well. :p

sonicmj1

I want to say that on some 8-4 podcast, someone talked about how they slept under their desk during the "glory years" of Japanese game development. Crunch time is something else there. lol

In the making-of documentary that comes with the Little Witch Academia Blu-Ray, there's a part as they near completion of the short where they show a small section of the office they set aside with sleeping bags for people working late.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In the making-of documentary that comes with the Little Witch Academia Blu-Ray, there's a part as they near completion of the short where they show a small section of the office they set aside with sleeping bags for people working late.

Heh. You'd think at some point the idea of the "company town" will come in vogue again and they'll just build housing right on top of the offices. Or maybe just have a bedroom attached to your cubicle for maximum efficiency.

Although the trend in America is to build your campus in some small town no one wants to live in and then have the company bus you in from the big city every day.

This is what happens when 4kids commissions extra episodes to sell a new American product line. Except, after the products never come out for whatever reason, it doesn't even air in America, only in Ireland because I guess that's where stillborn cartoon spinoffs go to rot. To this day, it's never received a Japanese dub, which says a lot.

If you're feeling like more Yu-Gi-Oh! for whatever reason, just watch the Season 0 produced by Toei in 1998. It's the most entertaining thing to come out of the entire franchise, even if for all of the wrong reasons.

I think I'll just grit my teeth and bare the 12 or so remaining episodes of this.

At this point after ZeXal and probably this, Yu-Gi-Oh is losing its luster for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom