• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think I'll just grit my teeth and bare the 12 or so remaining episodes of this.

At this point after ZeXal and probably this, Yu-Gi-Oh is losing its luster for me.

Well, that's because you're watching the worst seasons! Duel Monsters and 5D's are actually pretty entertaining.

I think I'll just grit my teeth and bare the 12 or so remaining episodes of this.

At this point after ZeXal and probably this, Yu-Gi-Oh is losing its luster for me.

>Watching ZeXal

You know, this is entirely your own doing, right? Unless someone made you do it, then you can blame them instead.

Quasar

I want to say that on some 8-4 podcast, someone talked about how they slept under their desk during the "glory years" of Japanese game development. Crunch time is something else there. lol

And it was western crunchtime stories that had me realising I'd never want to work in game development. Stories like the above have shaking my head totally not understanding why people would up with that. But then my philosophy is generally 'work to live' not 'live to work'.

Articalys

I've still got to find a way to get rid of all the Yugioh and Pokemon cards I bought as a kid and get some money back from it. Such regret...

Gazoinks

JoJo 5
PbwRC3Zl.jpg

I WILL SOLVE THIS PROBLEM WITH ABS

Dio is such a dick.

This episode was pretty fun 'n' goofy. Dio being a magnificent bastard, the hair fight, everyone SHOUTING WITH SHONEN SPIRIT ABOUT OBVIOUS THINGS. Koyasu does a great Dio, he seems like he's having a lot of fun with the voice (and I just finished his first major arc in Gintama!). Looking forward to hopefully finishing Phantom Blood tomorrow.

Also this
tumblr_mcymppsHTX1qfsvizo1_500.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And it was western crunchtime stories that had me realising I'd never want to work in game development. Stories like the above have shaking my head totally not understanding why people would up with that. But then my philosophy is generally 'work to live' not 'live to work'.
I really should find out more about UK game development because quite frankly the english gaming media is very American centric so we really only hear about those who live in horror of displeasing their eagle god. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it is more the same. Of course all we talk about is the good ol' days of bedroom coders with the Spectrum. Where games has less colours than even an episode of Blood Lad.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The "crunch" in UK "crunch time" refers to the sound biscuits make when they're eaten.

Link Man

Banned
Dusk Maiden 4

ifxxRWFNHyXwO.jpg

Oh my, :SDBurton, :chet and :theonik all within the first 2 minutes before the OP. Yep, this is a summer episode, if you couldn't tell.

Aside from the sexy times, I am finding Momoe to be utterly adorable. She almost rivals Chiho Sasaki in her reactions.

Mature

Wolf's Rain - 1
HsEApdm.png

Here's another show that I was introduced to some ten years ago, but never followed up on. I seem to remember buying the first single from Bandai and being really interested, but for whatever reason, never following through with the rest of the series. I'm sure so many of these instances exist for me since the price point of $24.99 or more for four episodes in my youth was unreasonable— despite my enthusiasm for the series. At any rate, with names like Tensai Okamura, Keiko Nobumoto, and Dai Sato attached to the project, I thought this one deserved to be rediscovered.

The characters of Wolf's Rain are immediately familiar thanks to Toshihiro Kawamoto's character design and the memorable work he did with titles like Cowboy Bebop and Golden Boy. Kawamoto was also the animation director of this episode as he similarly was for the premier episode of Cowboy Bebop as well as the shows more memorable episodes. His style and influence is very clear and robust here. The dystopian landscape is only a hop, skip, and jump from the ones in Bebop as well. Architecture of street corners and taverns are cracked and splintered with wear and have a very lived in feel. The look of this style coupled with the sound direction and Yoko Kanno's dreamy score create a beautiful juxtaposition that lends well to the narrative points of searching for a paradise. One look at sound director Kazuhiro Wakabayashi pedigree (an apparent frequent Okamura collaborater with Darker than Black and it's sequels as well as Kenji Kamiyama with Moribito and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex amongst others) and it's obvious that Wolf's Rain should feature an impressive aural accompaniment. And, judging by the first episode, it does. This first episode is rife with great to serviceable animation and art throughout as well.

As a first episode, there was a lot going on here. It competently balanced between lore building and a slight air of mysticism with the main cast building through their actions and inaction's and a little bit of obtuse exposition from other characters. Nobumoto wrote this first episode and Yoshiyuki Takei directed it and who, like Kawamoto, also all worked in these respective roles on Bebop's first episode. I think one of Nobumoto's strengths in script is her pacing. By the half-way point, we've already seen so much and the narrative has time to breath without feeling like it rushed to get to that point (something Asteroid Blues also did very well).

The wolves and their plight are an interesting enough story; I'm looking forward to seeing how and if it lives up to it's potential.

zeroshiki

I guess there's understanding, and there's understanding. The movie certainly explained why, and you can even tell from how other characters react (the scene with Naho's father drives this home particularly hard) that his dedication isn't considered unique or abberant. But it's the sheer extent of it that seems like a cultural divide I can't quite bridge.

My father is a lawyer who's exceptionally dedicated to his job, but even when he was going in to work at 6 AM and coming back at 8 PM each night, as a child I felt like he found ways to make time for me every now and then, even if it was just in that small space of time before I went to bed at 9:30. Weekends and vacations meant something too, even if he often had work he brought home then.

But by a certain way of Japanese thinking, every hour that a man doesn't devote to their profession is an hour wasted. That seems like it'd be incredibly wearying emotionally, though I'd imagine at a certain point you'd get used to it.

I have a coworker who was on his way out to go on a trip with his family on JANUARY 2ND who got a call from the office asking him about this and that thing and he CANCELLED the family trip right then and there to login to the system and read thousands of lines of code. This is why I will never be one of them.

yanguard 41-42

Finally a fight with watching. Other dude had some good faces and yami aichi is finally a badass. The mcguffin of the show is unraveling too.

Hope the mystic stuff isn't too idiotic.

Kai is also an idiot. No clue why the camera always pans to his emotionless face. Pad out an eps?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
British crunch time is just like American crunch time, just with more tea times.

The "crunch" in UK "crunch time" refers to the sound biscuits make when they're eaten.

That's how I'd like to imagine it, with a bit of pub time at the end of the day, but how I fear it really is just as gloomy the American game industry just we less guns, clapping and flag saluting. ;__;

So when it is Halloween or Christmas we often see a few show make reference to this. So how many can we expect to be about celebrating Pancake Day tomorrow?

Mature

In the case of The Wind Rises, it is actually based on a fictional love story well known in Japan, with the main character changed into a historical figure so it can have two thematic cores in one. So it's complete fantasy using the identity of a real person.
Wow, I had no idea. Thank you for pointing this out.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The good thing about being Akarin is that when I accidentally post twice people will never notice it in the first place.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guys, I think BGBW is glitching.

Edit: Fixed, but how do you double post 10 minutes apart?
Internet goes dead when sending message. Give up. Take shower. Come back and post message. Find original message went through after all.

French crunch time is different though. When they're too stressed they give up.
Sacrebleu! Ze game must come out soon.
Vat are you talking about you silly sausaage. Ze game comes out in six months.
Six months?
Oui. Six months.
Oh ho ho ho you are right. Ve still have six months. How could I be zo silly?
Exactamont! Six months.

Internet goes dead when sending message. Give up. Take shower. Come back and post message. Find original message went through after all.

Six months?
Oui. Six months.
Exactamont! Six months.

Did you take into l'account our vacation time?

Aw! Non monsieur! With vacation time it would take us 2 whole years!

Oh ho ho ho ho. Good zing I asked. Wouldn't want to have to worry for our like 20 years of paid vacation Hunh hunh hunh!

Link Man

Banned
Six months?
Oui. Six months.
Exactamont! Six months.

Is this Monty Python's Flying Game Development Studio?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiki 7

Wow, the writing and acting in this show are on a whole other level. It's like one of those "so bad it's good" movies you hear people talking about.

Oh yes, and there's also that whole "vampirism as pedophilia and rape" metaphor, with a dash of homoeroticism.

wonzo

Banned
Wake Up, Girls! 1-2

Well now. This pretty much starts off straight from the movie not only in the overall plot but in just how knee deep the self loathing of IDOL CULTURE is. It's so incredibly cynical that the group, named after a love hotel down the road, get scammed by a creepy ass manager that whores them out to skeevy old dudes at a health spa only to end up getting saved by the President of the talent agency that ran off with their fucking money and gambled it all away. It makes the IDOL CULTURE seen in the legendary AKB49 look like the spittle on a three year olds chin in terms of depth.

Speaking of money, the production of this series certainly lacks some as everything that isn't the dance scenes (one of which was reused from the movie) just looks bad, sometimes even Samumenco levels of quality and this is just the second episode. The OP's just reused footage from the movie (which is advertised with scrolling text,) the ED's just some filtered photographs of Sendai, and the Previews consist of two of the voice actors being filmed IRL trying to pull of their best anime voice possible which is giving me some serious PTSD flashbacks to the AKB48 live election stream I watched with IRC ages ago. Jesus.

In closing I don't even know whether this is the best or the worst idol series ever made. Either way, I'm certainly watching more to see if this saves Yamakans career (and anime) or ends it in the most laughable trainwreck since Fractale.

Just how many episodes is World Conquest going to be? Like the alast episode a lot.

Having never watched it can someone tell me why Fractale is so famous for being bad? I know about the whole meme surrounding it but what about the actual show?

Ano Hana: The Movie

This movie came out a year or two after the series, and the best way to watch this movie is a probably a long while after the series. So if you want to refresh your memory about this series before watching this movie, don't. The movie itself will do that for you. It serves as a nice epilogue to the series, taking place a year after the final episode of the TV series and it doesn't go about recapping the usual way, but rather throughout the movie the characters will recall moments from the tv series while providing their own commentary. For those who love the series, the insights are great. Especially the final character's insight in the last recap scene in the movie. It'd definitely something Ano Hana fans will appreciate, but you'll appreciate it a lot less if you jump into it right after marathoning the TV series. The best thing is checking up on how everyone is doing a year after the TV series' events. And you shouldn't watch it if you haven't seen the series; it's not meant to be a standalone movie. Watching it without seeing the TV series is actually the worst thing you could do.

Also, I saw it without subs and understood about 97% of everything and was happy I was able to understand that much =)

cajunator

Banned
Just how many episodes is World Conquest going to be? Like the alast episode a lot.

Having never watched it can someone tell me why Fractale is so famous for being bad? I know about the whole meme surrounding it but what about the actual show?

I liked it but most dont. It really goes off the rails even by my lax standards.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just so everything is clear, what definition are we using for IDOL CULTURE these days, because reading that with the definition from the Love Live days makes that post incredible dark.

wonzo

Banned
Just so everything is clear, what definition are we using for IDOL CULTURE these days, because reading that with the definition from the Love Live days makes that post incredible dark.
The exploitive managers/obsessive fans/"glue" handshakes/consumerist prostitution kind of IDOL CULTURE.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The exploitive managers/obsessive fans/"glue" handshakes/consumerist prostitution kind of IDOL CULTURE.

Oh. I thought that was just idol culture. IDOL CULTURE being, as demonstrated at least four times per Love Live episode, extreme sexual harassment all the way up to the "r word".

Obviously there is overlap between the two.

wonzo

Banned
Oh. I thought that was just idol culture. IDOL CULTURE being, as demonstrated at least four times per Love Live episode, extreme sexual harassment all the way up to the "r word".

Obviously there is overlap between the two.
Yeah, IDOL CULTURE's really just a catch all phrase for how utterly fucked up and depraved the entire industry is from top to bottom. The harassment stuff in Love Live is just a more marketable anime extension of that. ._.

sonicmj1

Rozen Maiden 12

This episode would have been a totally decent ending to the series, since it closes the book on most of the main arcs of the show. But I wouldn't mind one more go.

I'm trying to figure out how the dolls' stories fit thematically into the picture of this show. Is Suigintou struggling to learn empathy supposed to be a parallel to Jun's own struggles? What was the point of the stuff with the twin dolls? It's a bit messy.

Anyway, even if the conclusion is a bit cheesy, it's still very well directed and good. The scenes between Suigintou and her master work really well, which seems like a tough act for a character as emotionally unbalanced as that girl is.

I guess I'll finish this tomorrow.

Jintor

Yeah, IDOL CULTURE's really just a catch all phrase for how utterly fucked up and depraved the entire industry is from top to bottom. The harassment stuff in Love Live is just a more marketable anime extension of that. ._.

it's not harassment if it's between two cute girls! nico nico ni etc etc etc

zeroshiki

AKB cafe isn't really sad. Its not more pathetic than going into a Johnny's store for example. Its just a cafe with idol themed food and merchandise. Actual sadness can be experienced if you decide to go deep and attend events.

^ Most of it is made up :lol

I think the movie is super Japanese in the sense that only people who grew up in Japan who had a dad who was absent all the time for work, who is an absent father because of work, etc can truly grasp WHY Jiro was being such an idiot about his work.

I'm not an expert on Japanese culture, but it really boils down to the shokunin (master?) mindset and how the Japanese put it above all things.

I understood why to the bitter end, it was all Jiro could do for Naho because he had his work to do.

This is largely why I see it as a critique or examination on Japanese ideals and how that affects Jiro's character to the point where he has such a detached, impersonal personality. That kind of cultural divide is something that usually can hurt a movie for me as I personally can't empathize or respond emotionally to how characters deeply embedded in another culture choose to go about their relationships, work, and so on. Strangely, The Wind Rises having that subtext as well as walking that line between fantastical and the almost too subdued disillusionment worked for me.

I understand the complaints and I understand the disconnect some have, but it culminated into something I still found very captivating for me. It's been constantly on my mind over the past three days, so I'm hoping to see it again this week to clear up more of my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom