• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I don't think I've really done it to anybody in here. I hope not. There's a special kind of rage that comes pouring out when you lose a close friend.

No, you haven't done in here.

How come Yayoi has one hand on the outside of her hair and the other on the inside?

Because fuck consistency!

You can talk about all the different types of snow you get there. Or crab fishing!

You see, firehawk, I have like... 50 different words for snow, but I have zero words for sun.

CorvoSol

I'm deathly afraid of having a lapse in my self-control at the wrong time with people I care about. I can say some truly hurtful things if I'm provoked the wrong way.

This wasn't exactly a lapse in judgment, though. It's the one thing I don't regret about the entire affair.

I mean, imagine your very best friend, the one you thought was truly closest to you, and upon whom you could always count on and rely on, turns around and treats another one of your best friends like she isn't human anymore. Like, first she stops inviting her to stuff, then she starts putting moves on her ex, then she replaces her, then she starts saying and planning and doing the most petty, childish, mean-spirited things to this friend of yours. And all the while your other friend has been submissive, has been passing it off as all her fault, has been going out of her way to try and make things right, and even holding her tongue as her friend is making moves on her (very, very, very recent ex of like, five years).

And then you take a good, long look at the last month, realize you can see the cycle beginning with you, and friend number 3 in your group of 4 confides that your best friend has said she is going to "drop you as a friend" if you don't take her side in this. As if the last decade of friendship was something that could be undone as simply as clicking "unfriend."

I dunno, for me it was the end of it. The next four days were consumed in a lengthy battle of awful words and scathing remarks and when the dust settled a friendship I'd thought would last to my death at least lay strangled on the floor, and my so-called best friend had the gall to call it a natural death.

Tonari no Seki-kun 9

Am I the only one feeling like this is getting stale?

It isn't as clever or funny as I thought it was going to ultimately be. But that's why it benefits from the really short length, as one really doesn't waste much time watching these. Part of me was hoping the show would eventually reach fantastical ways for Seki-kun to pass the time, but so far they've kept it fairly mild/realistic.

This is a Bones production? It looks atrocious. Those character designs are really hard to look at.

This. I'll probably give it a try but jesus those designs are bland and uninspired.

cajunator

Banned
This wasn't exactly a lapse in judgment, though. It's the one thing I don't regret about the entire affair.

I mean, imagine your very best friend, the one you thought was truly closest to you, and upon whom you could always count on and rely on, turns around and treats another one of your best friends like she isn't human anymore. Like, first she stops inviting her to stuff, then she starts putting moves on her ex, then she replaces her, then she starts saying and planning and doing the most petty, childish, mean-spirited things to this friend of yours. And all the while your other friend has been submissive, has been passing it off as all her fault, has been going out of her way to try and make things right, and even holding her tongue as her friend is making moves on her (very, very, very recent ex of like, five years).

And then you take a good, long look at the last month, realize you can see the cycle beginning with you, and friend number 3 in your group of 4 confides that your best friend has said she is going to "drop you as a friend" if you don't take her side in this. As if the last decade of friendship was something that could be undone as simply as clicking "unfriend."

I dunno, for me it was the end of it. The next four days were consumed in a lengthy battle of awful words and scathing remarks and when the dust settled a friendship I'd thought would last to my death at least lay strangled on the floor, and my so-called best friend had the gall to call it a natural death.

Ill always love you Corvy my friend

CorvoSol

This. I'll probably give it a try but jesus those designs are bland and uninspired.

Butt let me tell you abutt inspiring BONES character design:

JOWZ579.jpg

Liberation Maiden was actually a fun game and I wouldn't mind if it had been its own series. Still waiting for that sequel, SUDA 51

This post brought to you by the Holy Will of Theonik

CorvoSol

Wait, Liberation Maiden SIN did come out? Well it's only been 4 months. Maybe an English version will still happen?

why do I do this to myself?

Theonik

Soranowoto 1-5 - This show is incredibly dumb.
YOUR FACE IS INCREDIBLY DUMB.

Butt let me tell you abutt inspiring BONES character design:
I am listening.
This post brought to you by the Holy Will of Theonik
I see I see how it is.

I guess crappy LN adaptations probably do rake in some good dosh. I wonder how Tenkai Knights is working out for them?
I don't know the ins and outs of what is happening in bones right now you will have to ask duckroll for that.

CorvoSol

I am listening.

I see I see how it is.

Liberassion Maiden is a short game for 3DS. It's about Shoko (pictured previously), the teenaged President of Japan. If that doesn't get you interested, Shoko's presidential duties require she pilot the giant robot: Kamui the Liberator, to save Japan from being invaded by the Dominion. During the game she does silly things like shout "I'm issuing an executive order!" before giving herself permission to use her mech's awesome powers.

Also sometimes to raise her public approval rating Shoko will have to single-handedly sink fleets of enemy warships.

Liberassion Maiden is like the kid sister to Metal Wolf Chaos, AKA THE GREATEST MECHA VIDEO GAME EVER MADE.

Theonik

Liberassion Maiden is a short game for 3DS. It's about Shoko (pictured previously), the teenaged President of Japan. If that doesn't get you interested, Shoko's presidential duties require she pilot the giant robot: Kamui the Liberator, to save Japan from being invaded by the Dominion. During the game she does silly things like shout "I'm issuing an executive order!" before giving herself permission to use her mech's awesome powers.

Also sometimes to raise her public approval rating Shoko will have to single-handedly sink fleets of enemy warships.

Liberassion Maiden is like the kid sister to Metal Wolf Chaos, AKA THE GREATEST MECHA VIDEO GAME EVER MADE.
I don't even own a 3DS so I'll never know butt know going on Pixiv for research is the first thing I'm doing tomorrow.

Saki - The nationals - 08
You know that something big is going on when the most cheated power is complaining that something EVEN MORE CHEATED appeared !
Saki%20-%20The%20Nationals%20-%2008.jpg

Yeah , she is

Well this match is quite something between nodoka that went dealer ritchi after the break , LIKE A BOSS as if she wasn't aware of what was going on , only to have a flashback minutes later showing that "she knows" but hey she doesn't care because she is in "BLUSHING LIKE CRAZY MODE" .

So the bullying of the loli miko continued and that was intresting to see " no way i can be sealed like that" but then she went , "you bet i'll seal all your moves" and then the loli was on the verge of crying ... i mean "no tempai"

This episode was fantastic on several fronts as the flashback were intresting , but it just show AGAIN , as if it was needed , that the worse thing that could happen to you in saki is the fact that your power-up doesn't work
So far this season is a blast to see the MOST bullshit power getting sealed left and right by various methods. This doesn't mean that they aren't strong , they are , but they are just clueless because your power is the foundation of your play-style. On that aspect saki , on even nodoka ( that rely on either "fun" or "cold hard traditional play " ) are much less prone to be sealed , because they don't have a power to be sealed in the first place. Same for the achiga girls that don't have powers and when they do it's either so obvious it's useless to seal it , or so hidden , with so many requirements that nobody is aware of it yet.

The finale between the 4 powers should be quite intresting to see but that for another year because the episodes pacing are quite rough ( with so many Bonus hands lol ) .

On this subject of sealing i like that so far the 2 most powerfull moves negating others power-ups have so nice crazy requirements.. it keep the stakes high just like it love it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Wind Rises
While not as off-putting as the Ghibli titles that led up to it for some ten plus years prior, this movie feels deeply flawed and incomplete. The entire film intensely bleeds through with idealism, from its childish stance and portrayal of war all the way to its seemingly one-sided interpretation of love. Meandering hints of philosophical thought ping up throughout the film, but these too seem more like romanticized notions and ideas that never seem to truly explore the content the film attempts to handle.

We don't see through on the story of the main character or really come to understand him. Oftentimes he feels entirely separated from the film, and its difficult to discern either his thoughts or his feelings even in the face of fear or complete failure. Terrible things happen to the main character, but it's almost as though they elicit little more than a passing reaction, and fewer still are ever tied off. Not only are these seemingly significant subplots never tied off, but they kind of pass from thought completely without ever adding much to the story.
Being hunted by the secret police fizzles into nothingness, as does the theme of conflict between work and personal life. It's difficult for a man with seemingly no personal life to be torn by this. The complete lack of sacrifice on his part makes him seem uncaring, rending this aspect of the movie into something seemingly inconsequential.
Rather than posing questions and leaving them as something ambiguous, Miyazaki's themes are plainly stated simplistic facts that never seem to develop, much more provoke any thought on the part of the viewer.

Even the main plot seems unable to identify what it really wants to be. Lacking as a biographical character piece there's also not much here that really tells the story of the product of all the hard work: the plane itself. Flitting around the topic of war leaves the picture of the war fighter as a rough outline at best. With both of these aspects of the movie in shambles this leaves the love story in The Wind Rises with a heavy burden. This hopelessly romantic relationship lacks presence through much of the film, and it becomes difficult to see the love interest as more than workaholics wet dream as she dotes over her lovers every move. There is no conflict here, and she has no wants or needs other than to live for her husband.

Leaving the theater I couldn't help but feel I had witnessed something emotionally and historically fraudulent. A deep seated desire to depict a man who lives only for his work as something unfathomably beautiful, but this depiction comes across as anything but genuine. The unfortunate context of reality looms over Miyazaki's day dream, and it becomes more difficult to buy into something so quixotic as the set dressings of atrocities are propped up in the background as almost fantastical elements.

Even standard production elements seemed to all be in on the forgery. The sound in this movie just feels empty. At times the quiet is overwhelmingly powerful, but the movie is lacking intensity even in its portrayal of crowded streets or bustling buildings and airfields. Completely lacking in contrast, at times it is almost overbearing just how incapable The Wind Rises is capable of capturing reality.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Wind Rises

Leaving the theater I couldn't help but feel I had witnessed something emotionally and historically fraudulent. A deep seated desire to depict a man who lives only for his work as something unfathomably beautiful, but this depiction comes across as anything but genuine. The unfortunate context of reality looms over Miyazaki's day dream, and it becomes more difficult to buy into something so quixotic as the set dressings of atrocities are propped up in the background as almost fantastical elements.

It's probably because I was able to ask zeroshiki about the film for the podcast that I probably had a completely different set of expectations for the film in terms of what it was going to depict and try to represent on screen. I saw the film much more as a thought exercise in the philosophy behind technological innovation than any kind of biography, as a result.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's probably because I was able to ask zeroshiki about the film for the podcast that I probably had a completely different set of expectations for the film in terms of what it was going to depict and try to represent on screen. I saw the film much more as a thought exercise in the philosophy behind technological innovation than any kind of biography, as a result.
Even if I was to single out the interpretation of how the movie presents those elements there isn't much that really reveals the inspiration for creation. Much of the process of the production of the plane is glossed over so it's hard for me to feel like the process of creation is the most important aspect of the film. There weren't really hardships or road bumps internally, all of these complications were external. The conflict presented by The Wind Rises feels hollow, impersonal, and incomplete. The love story is set up as a creative drive for the main character, but it's difficult to see why that pushes the character when the relationship is so phony.

HappinessCharge Precure 5

Being aware of that one comic about Yuuko giving Megumi candy in 3 different scenarios, this has a whole new meaning to it. A much lewder reason.

Hoshiiwa's hair down is pretty neat.

So yeah, Megumi's mom is rather sickly, I bet that /a/ theory is gaining slightly more weight, but I'll ignore it for the time being.

That Happiness Injection moment was kind of.... unintentionally lewd. Thanks Hime!

cajunator

Banned
I just don't think it makes a lick of sense. Its not particularly funny, not particularly dramatic. I assume that there's some deeper story in there, but so far its been hidden behind nonsense.

Well you havent seen the whole series. It does hit a turning point but its a slow burn. It ends on a high note.

Just saw The Wind Rises with some friends and boy was it fantastic. This movie had us, three grown 20 year old men, chocking up towards the end. I don't know how Hayao Miyazaki does it, what a creative genius unlike anyone we have ever seen in the animation industry. It was definitely worth the 50 mile drive and the $13 ticket.

10/10 for me.

Edit: It was definitely a better picture then Frozen and deserved an Oscar. But poor scheduling by Disney really hurt its bid I think.

Noragami 09

Such a good episode. This whole Yukine arc really resolved itself quite well. Completely impressed with it.

Looking forward to see how the original arc will go.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even if I was to single out the interpretation of how the movie presents those elements there isn't much that really reveals the inspiration for creation. Much of the process of the production of the plane is glossed over so it's hard for me to feel like the process of creation is the most important aspect of the film. There weren't really hardships or road bumps internally, all of these complications were external. The conflict presented by The Wind Rises feels hollow, impersonal, and incomplete. The love story is set up as a creative drive for the main character, but it's difficult to see why that pushes the character when the relationship is so phony.
Yeah, the film isn't actually about the building of the plane itself, nor is it really about the romance, which is why I think it's a difficult film to gain access to. I just think the ideas that it raised were engaging enough on its own, both inside the text itself and the meta/intertextual issues that it raises.

Just saw The Wind Rises with some friends and boy was it fantastic. This movie had us, three grown 20 year old men, chocking up towards the end. I don't know how Hayao Miyazaki does it, what a creative genius unlike anyone we have ever seen in the animation industry. It was definitely worth the 50 mile drive and the $13 ticket.

10/10 for me.

Edit: It was definitely a better picture then Frozen and deserved an Oscar. But poor scheduling by Disney really hurt its bid I think.

...That said, I couldn't emotionally connect as much as some people have. I'm curious though, what choked you up about it? The ending?

congrats firehawk! frankly the rest of the movies winning awards were all Zzzzz for me.
lol
I like how I'm attached to the flick now. But that said, it's pure filmmaking on screen and deserves every accolade that it received, so I'm happy that it almost cleaned up.

sonicmj1

I'm glad that dimb brings up the romance in The Wind Rises, because with the way people were talking about it, I was starting to think that I had missed something due to the language barrier when I saw it in Japan.
Even when he cares about her, he can't put her above his work, and she gladly sacrifices herself to waste away while spending what little time she has with him being all but ignored as he saves his focus for airplane design.
The scene where
she holds his left hand while he stares at his working desk, drawing with his right
was weirdly romantic, but at the same time it felt almost pathological.

Even if she inspired him in some abstract sense, I had a hard time squaring away his professed love for her with the intensity of his obsession with planes, and how he treated her as a result.

Branduil

I'm glad that dimb brings up the romance in The Wind Rises, because with the way people were talking about it, I was starting to think that I had missed something due to the language barrier when I saw it in Japan.
Even when he cares about her, he can't put her above his work, and she gladly sacrifices herself to waste away while spending what little time she has with him being all but ignored as he saves his focus for airplane design.
The scene where
she holds his left hand while he stares at his working desk, drawing with his right
was weirdly romantic, but at the same time it felt almost pathological.

Even if she inspired him in some abstract sense, I had a hard time squaring away his professed love for her with the intensity of his obsession with planes, and how he treated her as a result.

That sounds like Miyazaki, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom